Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#148735 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
That's not how logic works. I can call you a cu*t and still be right. Besides, only morons are scared of swear words.
<quoted text>
You think being offensive makes you right?

So the person who swears the most is by default the most intelligent?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#148736 Jan 17, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an argument to demonstrate the absurdity of taking extraordinary claims seriously that are presented without any objectively verifiable evidence.
What separates the quality of evidence for your god from that of any number of other gods?
No, it is a false analogy, as I have already clearly shown.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#148737 Jan 17, 2013
Clementia wrote:
Now, i gotta look up what i theist is and it'll say someone who believes in God, then i'll have to think for myself and i'll assume that an atheist is a person who doesn't BELIEVE in God.
Tide, it's a longer way of coming back to where we were going before!
Keep trying, we'll get there in the end, i mean get somewhere else! I believe in you!!
Would a god be an atheist?

Think about it.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#148738 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Dawkins false analogy, whilst trumpted by many atheists as the final word on the matter is, is very poor as an argument against God...
Is the flying spaghetti monster:
Omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, absolutely moral and eternal?
If he is then he would have manifested himself to man as such, because it would have been his nature to do so.
So no, you cannot substitute that poor analogy for God and expect your argument to be treated as sincere...
You decide :

We believe the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the world much as it exists today, but for reasons unknown made it appear that the universe is billions of years old (instead of thousands) and that life evolved into its current state (rather than created in its current form). Every time a researcher carries out an experiment that appears to confirm one of these “scientific theories” supporting an old earth and evolution we can be sure that the FSM is there, modifying the data with his Noodly Appendage. We don’t know why He does this but we believe He does, that is our Faith.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#148739 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
So if morality is subjective, what do you use as an absolute defining position to define that subjectivity?
Could you rephrase the question?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#148740 Jan 17, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
u talking about me, but not to me. Oh I see, u playing hard to get. Well, 2 can play that game!
First, Tide could read my mind and now u, r u angels or demons?
Clementine, don't be mean to me, I was supporting you and chastising that rude RR guy.

I'll talk to you anytime, just don't leave me freezing at Marble Arch in the cold, dark, London night.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#148741 Jan 17, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Would a god be an atheist?
Think about it.
I told u that, u copycat, u cheat, u can't take that away from me!!

i have proof i said that, ask kitten or check my comments!!

I learnt God is an atheist from watching these videos;



I BEAT U TO IT!!!:-p

THINK ABOUT IT!!:-p :-p :-p

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#148742 Jan 17, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
You decide :
We believe the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the world much as it exists today, but for reasons unknown made it appear that the universe is billions of years old (instead of thousands) and that life evolved into its current state (rather than created in its current form). Every time a researcher carries out an experiment that appears to confirm one of these “scientific theories” supporting an old earth and evolution we can be sure that the FSM is there, modifying the data with his Noodly Appendage. We don’t know why He does this but we believe He does, that is our Faith.
Your flying spaghetti monster cannot account for absolute moral standards...

Which exist, obviously, as everyone uses them.

So he fails very quickly.

So yes, a very poor analogy.

Dawkins is not a good person to rely on for a sound philosophical argument...

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#148743 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So if morality is subjective, what do you use as an absolute defining position to define that subjectivity?
You're getting closer and closer to the white sheet.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#148744 Jan 17, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Would a god be an atheist?
Think about it.
Not in a polytheistic system.

It's teamwork, dude, teamwork.

You have to have faith in your teammates.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#148745 Jan 17, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you rephrase the question?
To come to the conclusion that subjective morality exists, you need to have an absolute morality upon which to first define subjective morality.

So the argument for subjective morality is self refuting, as it requires absolute morality to exist to even make the argument.

You cannot define anything if you do not have an absolute standard with which to define it with...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#148746 Jan 17, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Would a god be an atheist?
Think about it.
No...

God knows He exists...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#148748 Jan 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're getting closer and closer to the white sheet.
Do you have a rational refutation or point you would like to make?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#148747 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
You might want to try dealing with the point made, rather than appeal to your own opinion as proof...
Did you want me to "deal" with it?

I will now.
mtimber wrote:
I am saying that you also know the God you deny and it can be proven because you will appeal to His absolute moral standards and concepts when it pleases you and you will deny they exist when it pleases you also.
Have you ever heard of "humoring"? How about "playing the Devil's advocate"?
mtimber wrote:
The fact you are arguing against God, proves His existence...
Would you apply that line of reasoning to all claims made that are argued against? Or would this be a case of special pleading?
mtimber wrote:
Without Him you have no basis for rational logical absolutes upon which to base your reasoning.
This is called an argument from ignorance, a logical fallacy.
mtimber wrote:
Without Him we are just two chemical accidents fizzing near each other...
And if we are just two chemical accidents fizzing away, how do you know your fizzing is superior to mine...
This is called a strawman argument, a logical fallacy.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#148749 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
No, it is a false analogy, as I have already clearly shown.
I don't think you understood the analogy... to demonstrate the absurdity of taking extraordinary claims seriously that are presented without any objectively verifiable evidence.

What separates the quality of evidence for your god from that of any number of other gods?

You believe in a god don't you? Why?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#148750 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
To come to the conclusion that subjective morality exists, you need to have an absolute morality upon which to first define subjective morality.
So the argument for subjective morality is self refuting, as it requires absolute morality to exist to even make the argument.
You cannot define anything if you do not have an absolute standard with which to define it with...
Boy I wish Buck was here to argue infinity with this guy.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#148752 Jan 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Clementine, don't be mean to me, I was supporting you and chastising that rude RR guy.
I'll talk to you anytime, just don't leave me freezing at Marble Arch in the cold, dark, London night.
I know...you're a sweetheart!

You're the one the would leave me, i just know that if i had turned up, u would've had a sneak peek and then vanished and i'd be standing there crying under the arch! u men don't understand how delicate a lady's heart is, it's more fragile than fragile!!

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#148751 Jan 17, 2013
Clementia wrote:
I told u that, u copycat, u cheat, u can't take that away from me!!
i have proof i said that, ask kitten or check my comments!!
I learnt God is an atheist from watching these videos;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =TLGGKraKmXcXX
I BEAT U TO IT!!!:-p
THINK ABOUT IT!!:-p :-p :-p
I humble myself before you.

Please, have mercy.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#148753 Jan 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're getting closer and closer to the white sheet.
What's a white sheet?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#148754 Jan 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
You're getting closer and closer to the white sheet.
He/she probably won't stick around long.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why? 14 min Carchar king 48
Our world came from nothing? (Jul '14) 20 min Carchar king 1,251
The Consequences of Atheism 49 min Carchar king 81
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 57 min dirtclod 14,692
Christianity Created Hitler 2 hr Thinking 216
Why Evil Disproves Atheism 15 hr Luke1981 7
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 15 hr NoahLovesU 2,844
More from around the web