Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
142,721 - 142,740 of 225,643 Comments Last updated 20 min ago

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Slavery for seven years only applied to Jews that owned Jewish slaves. Slaves of conquered civilization could be held indefinitely.
In contrast to the Covenant Code and Deuteronomy, which contain no explicit description of manumission for slaves of non-Israelite origin, the Holiness Code states that non-Israelite slaves shall serve forever.[19] Even the master's death did not free such slaves - they were to be treated as inheritable property.[19]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_sl...
I believe you are correct. Thank you for pointing that out. So some slaves were released after seven years others were not. Now slaves came about through war, inheritance, debt owed, and as punishment for crimes.

Slavery that occurred in America by kidnapping and selling Africans as property was illegal in the Bible. This is covered under the 10 commandments, Exodus 20:15,“You shall not steal.” This point proves there was slavery that was illegal. Now this doesn’t cover captured prisoners of war.

Exodus 21:16

16 “He who kidnaps a man, whether he sells him or he is found in his possession, shall surely be put to death.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you are correct. Thank you for pointing that out. So some slaves were released after seven years others were not. Now slaves came about through war, inheritance, debt owed, and as punishment for crimes.
Slavery that occurred in America by kidnapping and selling Africans as property was illegal in the Bible. This is covered under the 10 commandments, Exodus 20:15,“You shall not steal.” This point proves there was slavery that was illegal. Now this doesn’t cover captured prisoners of war.
16 “He who kidnaps a man, whether he sells him or he is found in his possession, shall surely be put to death.
Are you lying to yourself or trying to lie to us?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The word is sublimation, not evaporation. Sublimation is the release of material from a solid, evaporation is from a liquid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_%28p...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporation
Thanks. I value precise writing, ad this helps me with that.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like a go.
Eagle says only long-term slave ownership is prohibited.
I wonder what the limit is: Six months? A year?
He's probably referring to the practice of freeing Hebrew slaves during the seventh year of service.(Deuteronomy 15:12)

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>He's probably referring to the practice of freeing Hebrew slaves during the seventh year of service.(Deuteronomy 15:12)
Yes. I now realize that.

I'm a well-educated person generally, but I have two lacunae: genetics and the Bible.

I must have been absent for those.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So does Leviticus abrogate Exodus since it comes later?

Leviticus 25:44-46: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly." (NIV)

Certainly you realize that most slaves are kidnapped at one point or another, don't you? If you buy a kidnapped slave, how would you know they were kidnapped?

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Assistant door greeter he dreams to one day reach door greeter skill.

Still waiting for that quote where Hitler calls himself an atheist. Any year now pussyassbitch any year now.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to Walmart.
Get your shit & get out.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Typical Christhole move ignore the stacks of quotes where Hitler praises religion and Jesus and cherry pick his few comments made out of frustration. Still waiting for his quote where Hitler calls himself an atheist. And waiting. And waiting and zzzzzzzzzz huh huh? Sorry fell asleep waiting and waiting :))
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
This is all taken from " http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler 's_religious_views"
So you skip over the pages and pages of pro-Christianity speeches given by Hitler and go down to the DISPUTED quotes from supposed table talks.
That's real desperation.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

He pulled it out of his buttermilk chugging @ss. Hitler was a lifelong Christian and never once claimed himself to be an atheist. He is using the sad old whoever was bad must have been an atheist because I don't like atheists shtick.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
And you know this how?

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

God allowed Noah to enslave his own son and all of his children for their entire lives all because he found Noah drunk.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, Wilde. If you say so
After all, you're the one who thinks that all one has to do is say "I believe in Jesus" before they die & all is forgiven...
If you wanna learn something, I can help.
If you wanna criticize, I can do that to.
But don't act like you wanna know and definitely don't act like you know Christianity because you don't.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

The 7 year rule was only for Hebrew Jewish slaves a slave of another race or people had no limitation it was until they died.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering one lives a full life. Which is longer, seven years of slavery or a entire lifetime of slavery?

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell you what? If you want to be subjugated because you are a woman, that's your affair. I was just trying to understand your point of view.
I meant tell me why we can't be equals LOL

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, more specifically, Moses supposedly freed the *Jews* from Egyptian slavery. So it's OK to enslave some people, but not others.
Fun fact: there is actually no objective evidence that the Jews were ever systematically enslaved by the Egyptians, nor is there any evidence for a mass exodus of between 2-3 million people from Egypt either.
Exodus 9:9 Then the Lord said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh, and tell him, Thus saith the Lord God of the Hebrews, Let my people go, that they may serve me....

My people....

And why do you think they stopped building pyramids? No slaves to build them, not the lack of belief by the Pharoah's of what the pyramids represented....

***The theory that they could not have been slaves is based on three known facts, but all of those facts are subject to interpretations.

First, even high-ranking workers (found in tombs near the pyramids) have stress fractures in their bones, indicating heavy manual labor. The theory goes that the vast bulk of workers could not have been slaves if the overseers were working just as hard. Maybe, or maybe that was just what the job called for. Perhaps the high-ranking overseers worked just as hard, but they doubtless got paid and fed better. Did the lower-ranking workers get paid at all?

Second, there are hundreds of tombs of people buried in the shadow of the pyramid. Why would slaves be allowed such a privilege? Well, who says it was a privilege? Maybe the king wanted his servants nearby. Also, it is estimated that 25,000 people worked on the pyramid, but only a few hundred are buried there. Obviously, the lower-ranking workers (slaves?) were not given such burials.

Third, there is graffiti inside the pyramid referring to the "gang of Khufu" and other work gangs. Ok, why does the fact that the workers were organized into gangs mean they were not slaves? Why does the fact that at least one of them knew how to write mean that the other members of the "gang" were not illiterate peasants or slaves?

Can we not just say "we don't know" about this one? What is the actual definition of slavery? Well, other than the "being property of someone", a slave is an unpaid worker who is not free to leave and find other work. If you were a farmer in Egypt you only worked so many months a year (due to the Nile flood cycles) so during the off months you sat idle, and either ate food you had stored, or you starved. If the king said you could work on his pyramid for three meals and a place to sleep, maybe you really had no choice? If you had no choice, were you any better than a slave?

http://federationcommander.blogspot.com.au/20... ***

You could say you don't know, or you could wonder where the bones of all those slaves are, and reason with yourself why you don't believe our Historians, when today they are just having a guess!!

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Crazy people say the dumbest sh!t. First off are you claiming that the Egyptians only had Hebrew slaves? A majority of Egyptian slaves were Egyptians.

:shakes head:
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Exodus 9:9 Then the Lord said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh, and tell him, Thus saith the Lord God of the Hebrews, Let my people go, that they may serve me....
My people....
And why do you think they stopped building pyramids? No slaves to build them, not the lack of belief by the Pharoah's of what the pyramids represented....
***The theory that they could not have been slaves is based on three known facts, but all of those facts are subject to interpretations.
First, even high-ranking workers (found in tombs near the pyramids) have stress fractures in their bones, indicating heavy manual labor. The theory goes that the vast bulk of workers could not have been slaves if the overseers were working just as hard. Maybe, or maybe that was just what the job called for. Perhaps the high-ranking overseers worked just as hard, but they doubtless got paid and fed better. Did the lower-ranking workers get paid at all?
Second, there are hundreds of tombs of people buried in the shadow of the pyramid. Why would slaves be allowed such a privilege? Well, who says it was a privilege? Maybe the king wanted his servants nearby. Also, it is estimated that 25,000 people worked on the pyramid, but only a few hundred are buried there. Obviously, the lower-ranking workers (slaves?) were not given such burials.
Third, there is graffiti inside the pyramid referring to the "gang of Khufu" and other work gangs. Ok, why does the fact that the workers were organized into gangs mean they were not slaves? Why does the fact that at least one of them knew how to write mean that the other members of the "gang" were not illiterate peasants or slaves?
Can we not just say "we don't know" about this one? What is the actual definition of slavery? Well, other than the "being property of someone", a slave is an unpaid worker who is not free to leave and find other work. If you were a farmer in Egypt you only worked so many months a year (due to the Nile flood cycles) so during the off months you sat idle, and either ate food you had stored, or you starved. If the king said you could work on his pyramid for three meals and a place to sleep, maybe you really had no choice? If you had no choice, were you any better than a slave?
http://federationcommander.blogspot.com.au/20... ***
You could say you don't know, or you could wonder where the bones of all those slaves are, and reason with yourself why you don't believe our Historians, when today they are just having a guess!!

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

You can be equal if you dump the misogynist bible.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I meant tell me why we can't be equals LOL
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Top half or bottom half?
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Awww!
I made half a snowman yesterday and now i got cold!:-(

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>Considering one lives a full life. Which is longer, seven years of slavery or a entire lifetime of slavery?
How long have YOU been a slave?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Assistant door greeter he dreams to one day reach door greeter skill.
Still waiting for that quote where Hitler calls himself an atheist. Any year now pussyassbitch any year now.
You're a sad little troll.
When did I say that Hitler called himself an atheist?
I'll wait.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
He pulled it out of his buttermilk chugging @ss. Hitler was a lifelong Christian and never once claimed himself to be an atheist. He is using the sad old whoever was bad must have been an atheist because I don't like atheists shtick.
No, I'm going off of Hitler's own words.

And not the propaganda words he used in public in order to get elected, I mean Hitler's private words. He hated Christianity & thought it was the blight of humanity.

You're an odd troll but a troll none the less.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr mannnu81 21,448
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 1 hr religionisillness 287
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 1 hr Jaimie 4
If Christianity were true... 3 hr CunningLinguist 149
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 4 hr CunningLinguist 83
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 5 hr NightSerf 146
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr NightSerf 364

Search the Atheism Forum:
•••