Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#148565 Jan 16, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh God, now i got to watch this? AURA!!!!

You don't have to, I just thought you might want to.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#148566 Jan 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't eat yellow snow!
Why, did it not taste very nice?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#148567 Jan 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to, I just thought you might want to.
yh, i will, just for u!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#148568 Jan 16, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
God forbade the long term ownership of individual slaves. The only culture in the entire world that had limits on how long you can force a person into slavery. Slaves of the Children of Abraham were promised freedom. A fact no other society embraced.
Is it that you have not or will not read the bible?

The bible god clearly allows long term slavery.

If a male slave is given a wife, after the seven years of slavery is complete, the male slave must make a choice. He may leave, alone! His slave wife and any children they had, belong to the master.

I have quoted that verse numerous times; you and your fundie friends refuse to read it. Now, read it and remember verse 4! There will be a test.

Exodus 21:1 Now these are the judgments which thou shalt set before them.

2 If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.

3 If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him.

4 If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#148569 Jan 16, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible was against long term manditory slavery.
You are still wrong. But don't worry, your god doesn't care if you read the bible or not. All that he wants is for you to thump others with it and scream, "You are damned to Hell!"

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#148570 Jan 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible didn't originally call them slaves, that's how it was translated. They were written as servants, not slaves.
The Hebrew word for slave is aebaed, the word for servant is ebbed. Similar words, but drug fervent meanings. Most if the original texts referred to servants(ebed), not slave (aebaed).
Did you know that ancient Hebrew law allowed someone to sell themselves to be a personal servant for a number if years? It was usually poverty-stricken men that needed work & had a family to feed.
It was also servants that you could beat to death. If they suffered for a day or two before dying, then the master was not punished.

So, abed and aebaed, not much difference, is there?

Abeds are just servants that you could beat to death, mate and own their children for life. Nothing at all like the slavery we had in America. Nothing at all.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#148571 Jan 16, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Ahh, but they do hurt when we are emotional do they not?
***But how do emotions trigger physical sensations? Scientists do not know, but recently pain researchers uncovered a possible pathway from mind to body. According to a 2009 study from the University of Arizona and the University of Maryland, activity in a brain region that regulates emotional reactions called the anterior cingulate cortex helps to explain how an emotional insult can trigger a biological cascade. During a particularly stressful experience, the anterior cingulate cortex may respond by increasing the activity of the vagus nerve—the nerve that starts in the brain stem and connects to the neck, chest and abdomen. When the vagus nerve is overstimulated, it can cause pain and nausea.
Heartache is not the only way emotional and physical pain intersect in our brain. Reent studies show that even experiencing emotional pain on behalf of another person—that is, empathy—can influence our pain perception. And this empathy effect is not restricted to humans. In 2006 a paper published in Science revealed that when a mouse observes its cage mate in agony, its sensitivity to physical pain increases. And when it comes into close contact with a friendly, unharmed mouse, its sensitivity to pain diminishes.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm... ***
A bit sickening what they do to the mice, to prove a point, but nothing I will ever say will ever bring a stop to animal cruelty, so I just protest as often as I can :(
"From mind to body?" That's really scientific, yeah. Anyhow, the brain requires chemicals, those chemicals can produce several responses, one typd of response is emotion. The brain's reaction to said emotions is what the species evolved to best suit the organisms. It's not as difficult to understand as you want to make it.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#148572 Jan 16, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do understand that you don’t believe the bible.
God was against long term mandatory slavery.
If you found yourself a slave of the Children of Israel. It was not for a lifetime but only for 7 years.
At the time slaves under Abrahams descendants were the only slaves in the word that were given freedom. A incentive for slave owners to treat their slaves well in hopes they stay on with the company.
Many slaves however decided to forgo their freedom after seven years and volunteer to continue to be unpaid servants. The incentive was there because the owners took care of their slaves.
You know, all expense paid vacations, use of the jet boat, get to drive the caddy, use of the company plane, access to the swimming pool, grand birthday parties, free access to the hunting lease, good food, new clothes, and free lodging.
Slavery for seven years only applied to Jews that owned Jewish slaves. Slaves of conquered civilization could be held indefinitely.

In contrast to the Covenant Code and Deuteronomy, which contain no explicit description of manumission for slaves of non-Israelite origin, the Holiness Code states that non-Israelite slaves shall serve forever.[19] Even the master's death did not free such slaves - they were to be treated as inheritable property.[19]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_sl...

Nunya

#148573 Jan 16, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do understand that you don’t believe the bible.
God was against long term mandatory slavery.
If you found yourself a slave of the Children of Israel. It was not for a lifetime but only for 7 years.
At the time slaves under Abrahams descendants were the only slaves in the word that were given freedom. A incentive for slave owners to treat their slaves well in hopes they stay on with the company.
Many slaves however decided to forgo their freedom after seven years and volunteer to continue to be unpaid servants. The incentive was there because the owners took care of their slaves.
You know, all expense paid vacations, use of the jet boat, get to drive the caddy, use of the company plane, access to the swimming pool, grand birthday parties, free access to the hunting lease, good food, new clothes, and free lodging.
Leviticus 25:44-46: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly." (NIV)

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#148574 Jan 16, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Leviticus 25:44-46: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly." (NIV)
Hey! That's not fair! If you only read from very specific parts of the bible, you will see a kind and loving god! But if you read the entire bible, which is streng verboten, you will see how evil the men who wrote the bible were.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#148575 Jan 16, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You are still wrong. But don't worry, your god doesn't care if you read the bible or not. All that he wants is for you to thump others with it and scream, "You are damned to Hell!"
Considering one lives a full life. Which is longer, seven years of slavery or a entire lifetime of slavery?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#148576 Jan 16, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering one lives a full life. Which is longer, seven years of slavery or a entire lifetime of slavery?
WTF? If a slave has a child and decides to leave after 7 years; his child remains in slaved for life.

Now, what is your question or statement, which will undoubtedly be completely contrary to what the bible says?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#148577 Jan 16, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering one lives a full life.
That's not a sentence, Eagle.

I think I would choose seven years of slavery over a lifetime of illiteracy.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#148578 Jan 16, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Slavery for seven years only applied to Jews that owned Jewish slaves. Slaves of conquered civilization could be held indefinitely.
In contrast to the Covenant Code and Deuteronomy, which contain no explicit description of manumission for slaves of non-Israelite origin, the Holiness Code states that non-Israelite slaves shall serve forever.[19] Even the master's death did not free such slaves - they were to be treated as inheritable property.[19]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_sl...
I believe you are correct. Thank you for pointing that out. So some slaves were released after seven years others were not. Now slaves came about through war, inheritance, debt owed, and as punishment for crimes.

Slavery that occurred in America by kidnapping and selling Africans as property was illegal in the Bible. This is covered under the 10 commandments, Exodus 20:15,“You shall not steal.” This point proves there was slavery that was illegal. Now this doesn’t cover captured prisoners of war.

Exodus 21:16

16 “He who kidnaps a man, whether he sells him or he is found in his possession, shall surely be put to death.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#148579 Jan 16, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you are correct. Thank you for pointing that out. So some slaves were released after seven years others were not. Now slaves came about through war, inheritance, debt owed, and as punishment for crimes.
Slavery that occurred in America by kidnapping and selling Africans as property was illegal in the Bible. This is covered under the 10 commandments, Exodus 20:15,“You shall not steal.” This point proves there was slavery that was illegal. Now this doesn’t cover captured prisoners of war.
16 “He who kidnaps a man, whether he sells him or he is found in his possession, shall surely be put to death.
Are you lying to yourself or trying to lie to us?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#148580 Jan 16, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The word is sublimation, not evaporation. Sublimation is the release of material from a solid, evaporation is from a liquid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_%28p...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporation
Thanks. I value precise writing, ad this helps me with that.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#148581 Jan 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like a go.
Eagle says only long-term slave ownership is prohibited.
I wonder what the limit is: Six months? A year?
He's probably referring to the practice of freeing Hebrew slaves during the seventh year of service.(Deuteronomy 15:12)

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#148582 Jan 16, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>He's probably referring to the practice of freeing Hebrew slaves during the seventh year of service.(Deuteronomy 15:12)
Yes. I now realize that.

I'm a well-educated person generally, but I have two lacunae: genetics and the Bible.

I must have been absent for those.

Nunya

#148583 Jan 16, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So does Leviticus abrogate Exodus since it comes later?

Certainly you realize that most slaves are kidnapped at one point or another, don't you? If you buy a kidnapped slave, how would you know they were kidnapped?

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#148584 Jan 16, 2013
Assistant door greeter he dreams to one day reach door greeter skill.

Still waiting for that quote where Hitler calls himself an atheist. Any year now pussyassbitch any year now.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to Walmart.
Get your shit & get out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God' existence 5 hr Geezerjock 1
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 6 hr tha Professor 1,051
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 14 hr Morse 30
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 21 hr Ooogah Boogah 14,456
Young atheists: The political leaders of tomorrow Thu thetruth 6
Why Christians should stick up for atheists Thu thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Thu QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE