Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256564 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#148627 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Lack of belief in God is a moral position as that belief dictates human moral reactions to the idea of God...
Why would atheistic secular humanism claim an absolute moral standard as you stated about genocide?
A new spin on an old canard. Lack of belief in something is just that, a lack of belief. Belief does not dictate morals, it excuses poor judgment.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#148629 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you see words into posts that are not there? No one said it was an "absolute," nothing in the universe is absolute. Your morals are just as arbitrary as ours, you just use an excuse for yours, we account for ours with reason and logic instead.
The Islamic people think it's a good idea to shoot a young girl for wanting to learn, to them it's moral and handed to them by their god.
Incans thought it was moral to kill neighboring tribes, to them it was moral and commanded by their gods.
Your morals are no less arbitrary than theirs, and supported by no better reasons.
The statement:

"nothing in the universe is absolute"

Is an absolute statement.

You have just refuted yourself and shown your own illogical inconsistencies.

So why would anyone rational accept your position?

Location hidden

#148630 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Morality predates your religion and your god myth.
<quoted text>
Are you appealing to your own arbitrary opinion as proof?

Location hidden

#148631 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
A new spin on an old canard. Lack of belief in something is just that, a lack of belief. Belief does not dictate morals, it excuses poor judgment.
Of course belief dictates morals...

Your presuppositions define your morality.

Arguing there is no God, argues there is no ultimate standard for morality...

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#148632 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
The statement:
"nothing in the universe is absolute"
Is an absolute statement.
You have just refuted yourself and shown your own illogical inconsistencies.
So why would anyone rational accept your position?

Because she is correct, It's called The uncertainty principle.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qt-uncertai...

Location hidden

#148634 Jan 17, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Because she is correct, It's called The uncertainty principle.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qt-uncertai...
If you cannnot know anything, then you cannot know there is an uncertainty principle.

Self refuting and illogical.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#148635 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course belief dictates morals...
Your presuppositions define your morality.
Arguing there is no God, argues there is no ultimate standard for morality...
Wrong on both counts. Belief does not dictate anything, it makes excuses for things and nothing more. No one intelligent says that there is no god, just that yours is an unsupported assertion based on frightened and primitive minds. End of story.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#148636 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
If you cannnot know anything, then you cannot know there is an uncertainty principle.
Um, a principle is not an assertion, it's not an object, it's an idea, often an aspect of existence we simply observe repeated many times. Since the principle is merely making a statement of observation, it cannot be "known," it's just a description.

You are so clueless about anything scientific, even the basics, I almost pity you.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#148637 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't say you can't know anything.
It says, you can't know everything , there is an uncertainty factor.
Therefore nothing is absolute. Perfectly logical , and understood in that in the real world , as described by the discipline of quantum mechanics. The dynamics of all things are variable and probabilistic.

Location hidden

#148638 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong on both counts. Belief does not dictate anything, it makes excuses for things and nothing more. No one intelligent says that there is no god, just that yours is an unsupported assertion based on frightened and primitive minds. End of story.
Everyone operates on presuppositions.

Those presuppositions drive beliefs.

Would you say that it would be primitive to worship rocks as the source of life, logic and reason?

As you have stated that you have faith that a rock did it, how does the above quotation from you fit your own worldview?

After all it is an unsupported assertion that would seem to lack much intelligent use of empirical evidence...
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#148639 Jan 17, 2013
Correct, but most of us have decided that priests f**king kids is wrong, the church covering up for that is wrong and people lying in support of religion is wrong.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
...there is no ultimate standard for morality...

Location hidden

#148640 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, a principle is not an assertion, it's not an object, it's an idea, often an aspect of existence we simply observe repeated many times. Since the principle is merely making a statement of observation, it cannot be "known," it's just a description.
You are so clueless about anything scientific, even the basics, I almost pity you.
I am clueless how a rock did it, so you are right there...

So now you are appealing to transcendental arguments to prove your points.

How do you account for transcendental laws?

Did the laws of logic "evolve"?

Location hidden

#148641 Jan 17, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't say you can't know anything.
It says, you can't know everything , there is an uncertainty factor.
Therefore nothing is absolute. Perfectly logical , and understood in that in the real world , as described by the discipline of quantum mechanics. The dynamics of all things are variable and probabilistic.
That is true, you cannot know everything, so how is it that atheists are so big on knowledge claims, like nothing is absolute?

Which is an absollute by the way, therefore self refuting.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#148642 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not answer the question, why is genocide wrong in an atheistic worldview?
Do you not believe that the fittest should survive?
There is no universal atheist world view, rather a huge range of possible ones. But atheism seems to encourage thought about personal ethics. Most atheists that I've talked to have developed comprehensive ethical standards, none of which have included any rationale for harming others except in the defense of oneself and others.

In evolution, "survival of the best adapted" is a better description of natural selection than "survival of the fittest." Natural selection applies to populations, not individuals. Natural selection is not about what should happen, but what is observed to occur. Human interference in the process can only distort if, favoring less adapted populations by artificially altering the criteria for adaptation. Genocide is the ultimate perversion in that respect.

Location hidden

#148643 Jan 17, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Correct, but most of us have decided that priests f**king kids is wrong, the church covering up for that is wrong and people lying in support of religion is wrong.
<quoted text>
Why is sexual intercourse with children wrong to an atheist?

What is wrong with one chemical accident interacting with another chemical accident?

As a Christian, I know that is wrong, because of Gods absolute moral standards..

But as an atheist, one animal copulating with another animal is wrong why?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#148644 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone operates on presuppositions.
Those presuppositions drive beliefs.
Would you say that it would be primitive to worship rocks as the source of life, logic and reason?
As you have stated that you have faith that a rock did it, how does the above quotation from you fit your own worldview?
After all it is an unsupported assertion that would seem to lack much intelligent use of empirical evidence...
You are projecting again.

I make no presuppositions, I have no need to.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#148645 Jan 17, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true, you cannot know everything, so how is it that atheists are so big on knowledge claims, like nothing is absolute?
Which is an absollute by the way, therefore self refuting.
Provide evidence of something that is absolute, anything that is actually evidence and not from a bunch of unsupported assertions in a book of myths and legends.

Location hidden

#148647 Jan 17, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no universal atheist world view, rather a huge range of possible ones. But atheism seems to encourage thought about personal ethics. Most atheists that I've talked to have developed comprehensive ethical standards, none of which have included any rationale for harming others except in the defense of oneself and others.
In evolution, "survival of the best adapted" is a better description of natural selection than "survival of the fittest." Natural selection applies to populations, not individuals. Natural selection is not about what should happen, but what is observed to occur. Human interference in the process can only distort if, favoring less adapted populations by artificially altering the criteria for adaptation. Genocide is the ultimate perversion in that respect.
If the process of evolution is merely a function of life, a "perversion" is neither wrong or right.

And if atheists are free to develope their own moral standard, then nothing is absolutely wrong, just a matter of personal choice.

Very few atheists are willing to be honest about the implications of their worldview, and most are ignorant of them, throwing stones at others houses, not realising they are throwing them through their own glass windows when they do...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148648 Jan 17, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yh, that's what Hitler would've said too!
I wish Jesus was here right now in the flesh, to tell u how wrong u people are.
So....

You're saying I'm wrong that my words show I'm an atheist?

Location hidden

#148649 Jan 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are projecting again.
I make no presuppositions, I have no need to.
Yes you do.

Everyone has an ultimate standard of truth that is circular in nature.

Here is one of yours;

A rock did it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min Bob of Quantum-Faith 43,281
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 20 min woodtick57 21,183
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 54 min sharps war 9,370
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 18,574
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 1 hr Eagle 12 758
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Eagle 12 10,053
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 2 hr Eagle 12 69
More from around the web