Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Jul 18, 2009 Read more: Webbunny tumblelog 236,988
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#148520 Jan 16, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I support slavery?
You do realize that slavery continues today even in our country. There are young girls who were drafted into prostitution and some were smuggled here for that purpose. My answer is absolutely a no, past, present or future.
In my own family history we had family members on both sides of the issue pre and post civil war. The Bible does talk about slavery but you must understand it was a legal and accepted practice at the time. Itís a historical fact but in Jewish history there were limits on slavery.
Another point Atheist seem to forget. In Jewish Biblical history the Children of Abraham were also slaves including Joseph who rose in rank in the Egyptian government.
Eagle, God has the power to stop slavery, he could have made it illegal, you know.

But what i don't get is, how can the bible be for slavery if Moses freed the slaves?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#148521 Jan 16, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I support slavery?
You do realize that slavery continues today even in our country. There are young girls who were drafted into prostitution and some were smuggled here for that purpose. My answer is absolutely a no, past, present or future.
In my own family history we had family members on both sides of the issue pre and post civil war. The Bible does talk about slavery but you must understand it was a legal and accepted practice at the time. Itís a historical fact but in Jewish history there were limits on slavery.
Another point Atheist seem to forget. In Jewish Biblical history the Children of Abraham were also slaves including Joseph who rose in rank in the Egyptian government.
You must understand that this "Biblical History" is mythology.

But, be that as it may, what you are really saying is that either:

1 -- your deity did not realize that slavery was a bad thing and therefore never spoke out against it

OR

2 -- Christian morals have changed over time and you do not really use the Bible as you ultimate guide to morality.

OR

3 -- all of the above.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#148522 Jan 16, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>

But what i don't get is, how can the bible be for slavery if Moses freed the slaves?
Well, more specifically, Moses supposedly freed the *Jews* from Egyptian slavery. So it's OK to enslave some people, but not others.

Fun fact: there is actually no objective evidence that the Jews were ever systematically enslaved by the Egyptians, nor is there any evidence for a mass exodus of between 2-3 million people from Egypt either.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148523 Jan 16, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Yep ~ and that we are all here to make each others lives happy, not miserable LOL
That's why I throw in a joke here and there...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#148524 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
This is all taken from " http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler 's_religious_views"
So you skip over the pages and pages of pro-Christianity speeches given by Hitler and go down to the DISPUTED quotes from supposed table talks.
That's real desperation.
None of that was taken from wiki.

Besides, so what about his "pro-Christian" views, they were dishonest. Hitler was merely appealing to the stupid masses. You appear to have joined to crowd.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#148525 Jan 16, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
Now you're plagerizing Walter (Jeff Dunham). Have you no shame?
Good call!

I knew we could find some common ground.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#148526 Jan 16, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle, God has the power to stop slavery, he could have made it illegal, you know.
Hey Clementine, Will you be my slave?

Just for a little while.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#148527 Jan 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>infrared=light

You're dumb. That's why your clues are so cheap.
Then why didn't you say infrared light?

And there's enough visible sunlight hitting Jupiter and Saturn to reflect brightly back to Earth.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#148528 Jan 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>It's supposed to sound like I'm sick n tired of writing the same shit over & over for you people.
At least you know it's shit.

Another sign of recovery.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#148529 Jan 16, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
What difference does that make? God could not simply forbid slavery as evil? God managed to find time to condemn eating shrimp as an abomination. Is God forced to conform to human custom? Who is in charge?
God forbade the long term ownership of individual slaves. The only culture in the entire world that had limits on how long you can force a person into slavery. Slaves of the Children of Abraham were promised freedom. A fact no other society embraced.

Location hidden

#148530 Jan 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Clementine, Will you be my slave?
Just for a little while.
Only if u massage my neck?

San Francisco

#148531 Jan 16, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
God forbade the long term ownership of individual slaves. The only culture in the entire world that had limits on how long you can force a person into slavery. Slaves of the Children of Abraham were promised freedom. A fact no other society embraced.
Come on Eagle, that's pretty weak, don't you think? First of all, where in the Bible does it say all slaves "of the Children of Abraham" were promised eventual freedom? Secondly, but more importantly, slavery is OK if it's short-term? Really?

Slavery is NEVER OK, under ANY circumstances. PERIOD. I mean, does that really need to be said? Yet it's never said in the Bible. Quite the contrary; according to the Bible, a slave is a piece of property that you can beat to death.

San Francisco, CA

#148532 Jan 16, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if u massage my neck?
Looks like a go.

Eagle says only long-term slave ownership is prohibited.

I wonder what the limit is: Six months? A year?

Location hidden

#148533 Jan 16, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, more specifically, Moses supposedly freed the *Jews* from Egyptian slavery. So it's OK to enslave some people, but not others.
Fun fact: there is actually no objective evidence that the Jews were ever systematically enslaved by the Egyptians, nor is there any evidence for a mass exodus of between 2-3 million people from Egypt either.
But what if the egyptians destroyed ALL the evidence? It could happen, u know.

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#148534 Jan 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like a go.

Depends on the contract, but you're the lawyer .
You shoudda knowed dat "scratches head".

San Francisco, CA

#148535 Jan 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on the contract, but you're the lawyer .
You shoudda knowed dat "scratches head".
Contracts for slavery are what we in the law call contracts of adhesion. Not bargained at arm's length.

Besides, chattel can't enter into contracts.

Location hidden

#148536 Jan 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like a go.
What u on about, clever clog? what's a go?

Can't u keep a woman as your slave for 6 months, 6 weeks, 6 days, 6 hours, 6 mins, 6 secs etc... in Islam?

San Francisco

#148537 Jan 16, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
But what if the egyptians destroyed ALL the evidence? It could happen, u know.
Some ultra-orthodox Jews even go so far as to assert that there was a secret Jewish sect who's job it was to comb through the desert and remove all traces of the Exodus, thus explaining why there is no evidence. I mean, hello? What would be the point of that?

But as to the Egyptians, why would they destroy all evidence of Jewish enslavement? They didn't destroy evidence that they enslaved other groups.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#148538 Jan 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
None of that was taken from wiki.
Besides, so what about his "pro-Christian" views, they were dishonest. Hitler was merely appealing to the stupid masses. You appear to have joined to crowd.
And you know this how?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#148539 Jan 16, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible was against long term manditory slavery.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 3 min Thinking 14,520
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 8 min Thinking 6,487
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 11 min ChristineM 1,879
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 38 min Dogen 18,102
News The Consequences of Atheism 1 hr Thinking 1,164
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 3 hr fadu singh 9,265
News Confessions of a black atheist 3 hr Thinking 66
More from around the web