Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#148400 Jan 15, 2013
http://www.amazon.com/Coolit-Systems-USB-Beve...

That's the cooler shown in that last link. Goes down to 45 degrees, Allegedly.

This is matter you plug into your USB port. Low voltage and current. Imagine what happens on a global scale.

It's all about EM.

:-)

Location hidden

#148401 Jan 15, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, evaporation from the ice trays is probably one of the sources of the frost that accumulates in a freezer that is not designed to be frost-free. I'm not sure, but I suspect that frost-free freezers work by circulating dry air in the compartment, which would increase the rate at which the ice evaporates. Ever notice that foods kept in air-tight containers accumulate frost? That comes from water that evaporates from the food and then refreezes.
More like getting too many beers. Humidity in the air. The freezer and refrigerator should be served by the same unit. It's the venting. You can also have the vents blocked by too much food piled in the freezer, not drawing out the moisture.

The moisture gets condensed on the refrigeration coils, which dries the air. Same thing on air conditioners.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#148402 Jan 15, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, ignoring the fact that the largest contributors to greenhouse gases are all in the stratosphere, inert gases can make it all the way to the ozone, because they don't react with anything and only when they react with something do their weights actually change comparatively. But you are correct, they do keep adding "blankets" to the atmosphere. But the problem is that it's not likely to be the gases we release that tipped the climate change, but the energy near the glaciers that did.

What is happening is the energy from the sun would shine on the light side heating it up. Then at night the heat would radiate back into space. Greenhouse gas traps the heat so not as much can radiate back out into space, it doesn't matter where its position in the atmosphere is really, only that it traps the thermal energy.

The Oceans adsorbed this extra energy for so long because it's like a giant heat sink, but is gradually causing it's temperature to rise. So it is energy in the Ocean but its spread out by the currents . It is natural for the Oceans to absorb some heat and spread it around but when the overall temperature rises, it causes glacial melt.
I think they say it is 1-2 C above nominal and climbing.

When it reaches or by the time it reaches 6 C above normal we will have a complete glacial melting and the oceans will rise by as much as six feet or more. This would be disastrous to places like Manhattan, New Orleans and Venice etc.
But we have found a worse problem than the man made parts.
Frozen methane at the bottom of the ocean. Its a worse greenhouse gas than carbon monoxide,and it is starting to melt at the bottom of the sea. We may not have glaciers much longer.

Location hidden

#148403 Jan 15, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, evaporation from the ice trays is probably one of the sources of the frost that accumulates in a freezer that is not designed to be frost-free. I'm not sure, but I suspect that frost-free freezers work by circulating dry air in the compartment, which would increase the rate at which the ice evaporates. Ever notice that foods kept in air-tight containers accumulate frost? That comes from water that evaporates from the food and then refreezes.
Its closed the water Ice stays in the freezer, but it melts a little and the vapor comes from the defrost cycle when it heats up the frost on the cooling fins to melt it off. But It would take an incredible amount of time to melt a full ice maker load of ice.
Its in a tray eventually it would become a solid block.

The frost inside a sealed container comes from water vapor in the container. A frost free freezer has a defrost timer that heats up a coil to melt off the frost on the fins. Air is actually up to 5% water vapor.

I mean think of it this way , people have summer homes that keep ice in them for a whole year with imperceptible melt off.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#148404 Jan 15, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Handed down orally for a few hundred years and then mistranslated into English.
Does she/he understand the difference between translation and interpretation?
Very few christians do understand the difference.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#148405 Jan 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if it's worshipped.
Nope.

Language matters.

Location hidden

#148406 Jan 15, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
What is happening is the energy from the sun would shine on the light side heating it up. Then at night the heat would radiate back into space. Greenhouse gas traps the heat so not as much can radiate back out into space, it doesn't matter where its position in the atmosphere is really, only that it traps the thermal energy.
The Oceans adsorbed this extra energy for so long because it's like a giant heat sink, but is gradually causing it's temperature to rise. So it is energy in the Ocean but its spread out by the currents . It is natural for the Oceans to absorb some heat and spread it around but when the overall temperature rises, it causes glacial melt.
I think they say it is 1-2 C above nominal and climbing.
When it reaches or by the time it reaches 6 C above normal we will have a complete glacial melting and the oceans will rise by as much as six feet or more. This would be disastrous to places like Manhattan, New Orleans and Venice etc.
But we have found a worse problem than the man made parts.
Frozen methane at the bottom of the ocean. Its a worse greenhouse gas than carbon monoxide,and it is starting to melt at the bottom of the sea. We may not have glaciers much longer.
http://www.almanac.com/blog/weather-blog/pecu...

http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~dommelen/quantum/styl...

The heat buildup adds to the second links effect. And of course, sea water is notorious for carrying electrical currents.

North Pole losing, South Pole gaining.

EM, son, it's EM.

It's a complex world, everything affects everything else, but it gets down to the passing around of charges.

Location hidden

#148407 Jan 15, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telluric_current

The life blood of the planet.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#148408 Jan 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I was hit by a truck, vacated my body, realized I just died, went through the agony of losing my place here, woke up in another dimension, and was inches from stepping into another manifestation before being allowed back.
Didn't see one single god or any other entity. But there was something out there I did not want to encounter.
I was a non=believer. Had absolutely zero concern or even thought that my existence was about to cease. Never crossed my consciousness. Was just moving on to something else. It was all "natural" as can be.
Now, tell us what your experience in it is. You seem so very much in the know. Tell us all about it.
Do you believe you'll return to that terrible place? I'm not being clever, just curious.

Location hidden

#148409 Jan 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.almanac.com/blog/weather-blog/pecu...
http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~dommelen/quantum/styl...
The heat buildup adds to the second links effect. And of course, sea water is notorious for carrying electrical currents.
North Pole losing, South Pole gaining.
EM, son, it's EM.
It's a complex world, everything affects everything else, but it gets down to the passing around of charges.

Ok if you say so Dave , actually some of those solar particles do follow the magnetic lines to ground , being electrically charged so I'm sure it adds some thermal energy too.

Besides me getting the wattage backwards on Saturn.
Which makes me wonder how much would a piece of metal would heat up in the light at that distance. what -250 on the dark side and ? on the light?
Lincoln

United States

#148410 Jan 15, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Very few christians do understand the difference.
Yes!

Proving events which occurred thousands of years ago is difficult.

For a Masters in History, one needs to prove proficiency in two languages. Imagine the same in Theology ?
Serah

Australia

#148411 Jan 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I was hit by a truck, vacated my body, realized I just died, went through the agony of losing my place here, woke up in another dimension, and was inches from stepping into another manifestation before being allowed back.
Didn't see one single god or any other entity. But there was something out there I did not want to encounter.
I was a non=believer. Had absolutely zero concern or even thought that my existence was about to cease. Never crossed my consciousness. Was just moving on to something else. It was all "natural" as can be.
Now, tell us what your experience in it is. You seem so very much in the know. Tell us all about it.
I read once of a robber shot on a sidewalk, and as the Paramedics were working on him, trying to revive him, he screamed and fought back to life... happened a few times, and he is now a believer. I tried to find his story (his young son was also with him at the time this happened) but found this instead;

*** Yet another story follows: "I (Dr. Rawlings) was giving CPR to a patient when the following incident occurred. I inserted a pacemaker through the shoulder and guided it through the vain into Charlie's heart. His heart stopped so I began to pound on the his heart, but as I did blood spurted out, I stopped to adjust the pacemaker. And as I did, Charlie's eyes would roll back in his head, he would sputter, turn blue, and convulse. This happened several times. Once while I was stopped to adjust the pacemaker Charlie screamed,'Don't stop, don't stop, I'm in Hell, I'm in Hell.' Hallucinations, I thought at first, but most victims say,'Take your big hands off me, your breaking my ribs,' but he was saying the opposite 'For Gods sake don't stop! Don't you understand, every time you stop I'm in Hell. When he asked me to pray for him I felt downright insulted. I told him to shut up, I'm a doctor, not a minister or a psychiatrist. Then the nurse gave me that expectant look. What would you do? That's when I composed a make believe prayer. I made him repeat the prayer to keep him off my back. Say it! Jesus Christ son of God, Keep me out of Hell. And a very strange thing took place. He was no longer that wild-eyed screaming lunatic. It was then that I too (Dr. Rawlings) became a Christian." (pg 37).

As I said earlier, Dr. Rawlings is not a Theologian, or a Minister, rather an unbiased Doctor who has written the findings of the patients he has resuscitated.

http://www.emjc3.com/helland.htm ***
Serah

Australia

#148412 Jan 15, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I agree the Bible says they shall not serve in leadership or teach in the ideology. However, women are clearly defined as inferior. Paul rationalizes that women were the cause of downfall of humans in Eden, thus they are to be blamed and subjugated by men. Who, by the way, also ate the fruit, but somehow that was also the woman's fault too. I guess in Christian ideology men are gullible and stupid, and women are smarter and therefore need to be controlled.
<quoted text>
In other words, there is no rationale. It is what it is because.
<quoted text>
Read the passage you quote. They are encouraged to serve as an example to each other, NOT teach or instruct in the Bible.
<quoted text>
LOL! Of course it does.
<quoted text>
Circular reasoning.
<quoted text>
Again, women are not to discuss religious ideology at all. The Bible says they are to be living examples merely, and subjugated in all ways to men. Any women who instructs in the Word is sinning. She must defer to her husband or a male relative. They can hand out all the Bibles they want, and tell everyone how much they love Jesus, but it can go no futher than that.
If it is good enough for JESUS to send HIS Prophecies through Mary, a Woman, then it went further than that a couple of thousand years ago, and there should be no issue with it today.

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Location hidden

#148413 Jan 15, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, I'm not making this up--it was mentioned way back in high school chemistry class when we discussed vapor pressure. That was almost 50 years ago, so the phenomenon has been known for quite a while. Here's a little confirmation:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/conten...
I don't know for sure, but I would think glaciers evaporate as well, just not as fast as new mass is added by each year's snow. Global warming may be changing the rates of both factors, but not the phenomenon itself.
This was my point if you don't open the door much the vapor cant escape and the vapor will "form some ice elsewhere in the freezer".
But when its small trays they may disappear from them yes.

However in a more modern freezer the ice wont escape the tray under the ice maker and eventually turn into a solid block.
All the rest will still be somewhere in the freezer.
Like the water cycle of Earth itself.
Serah

Australia

#148414 Jan 15, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Hearts pump blood, they are a muscle, as such they contain no intelligence.
Ahh, but they do hurt when we are emotional do they not?

***But how do emotions trigger physical sensations? Scientists do not know, but recently pain researchers uncovered a possible pathway from mind to body. According to a 2009 study from the University of Arizona and the University of Maryland, activity in a brain region that regulates emotional reactions called the anterior cingulate cortex helps to explain how an emotional insult can trigger a biological cascade. During a particularly stressful experience, the anterior cingulate cortex may respond by increasing the activity of the vagus nerve—the nerve that starts in the brain stem and connects to the neck, chest and abdomen. When the vagus nerve is overstimulated, it can cause pain and nausea.

Heartache is not the only way emotional and physical pain intersect in our brain. Reent studies show that even experiencing emotional pain on behalf of another person—that is, empathy—can influence our pain perception. And this empathy effect is not restricted to humans. In 2006 a paper published in Science revealed that when a mouse observes its cage mate in agony, its sensitivity to physical pain increases. And when it comes into close contact with a friendly, unharmed mouse, its sensitivity to pain diminishes.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm... ***

A bit sickening what they do to the mice, to prove a point, but nothing I will ever say will ever bring a stop to animal cruelty, so I just protest as often as I can :(

Location hidden

#148415 Jan 15, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe you'll return to that terrible place? I'm not being clever, just curious.
I'm better prepared when I do.

From my time on Topix here and thinking about it all, I have a suspicion the importance of religion is in planning for somewhere to go and do in the next transition. Like I said, I was a non-believer, and had nowhere to go. Can't say I have anything definite in mind, or even a religion, but maybe a better understanding when the time comes again.
Serah

Australia

#148416 Jan 15, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
"Almost died" is not dead. We know why they see what they think they see, we have explained it. You ignore the facts simply because you hate your life so much you think you deserve another chance, or more of it. If you'd stop wasting time planning for something you "hope" exists and start living your life, you'd have a more fulfilling life.
Hate my life?

Are you for real?? More fulfilling? I have a great job, great kids and grandchildren that I love dearly, a dog I love to pieces, wild birds that inhabit my beautiful trees and gardens, a home that is perfectly peaceful and love my Ancestors that have passed away and have also received messages from them!!

You are ignoring my facts and I am taking heed of them.... and perhaps you hate your life?
Serah

Australia

#148417 Jan 15, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
"Almost died" is not dead. We know why they see what they think they see, we have explained it. You ignore the facts simply because you hate your life so much you think you deserve another chance, or more of it. If you'd stop wasting time planning for something you "hope" exists and start living your life, you'd have a more fulfilling life.
Meant to add this but in my excitement at being alive, forgot to :)

***The book is full of people who have had near death experiences,(both positive and negative). Skeptics dismiss these near death experiences as the result of a oxygen-depraved mind, while Theologians think that often these people are seeing none other than Satan himself...(pg 47).

http://www.emjc3.com/helland.htm ***(same link as the other NDE's)

Obviously, I am not a skeptic, and obviously, you are!!
Serah

Australia

#148418 Jan 15, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
It really doesn't bother you that you are to be subjugated to men, can have any leadership roles, and can't even discuss Christian ideology?
I have since answered this.....
Serah

Australia

#148419 Jan 15, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Ephesians 5:21-24: "Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything."
Pretty clear, no?
You forgot this bit?

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Ahhhh; you stopped at 24 LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 6 min Uncle Sam 2,178
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr _Bad Company 1,437
God' existence 5 hr polymath257 55
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 6 hr polymath257 112
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 6 hr Geezerjock 1
Australia: black magic pervert retard 7 hr Thinking 4
Evidence for God! 9 hr ChristineM 366