Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148336 Jan 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
You have no proof of god,- you're lying about it , we're not at stupid...
You're stupid enough to misspell "that"....

Dumb athitard.

Location hidden

#148337 Jan 15, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
A ridiculous statement.
Lets get back to the issue here.
Slavery.
The bible translations use the word servant or manservant, whereas the true meaning is slave.
Brothers and sisters open your bibles at Leviticus chapter 25:
The following passage shows {{{SNIP}}}
The book of Leviticus is a statute of laws for the Levites.

But I'm sure you already knew that.

Location hidden

#148338 Jan 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Nope. The Christian south fought to keep dlavery even quoting biblical passages to back up their claim.
There were many on both sides that wanted to keep slavery legal just as there were many on both sides that wanted to abolish it.

There no reason to argue about dlavery(sic).

Location hidden

#148339 Jan 15, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
Hitler was baptised as Roman Catholic
Hitler attended a catholic monastery school
Hitler was a communicant and an altar boy in the Catholic Church.
Hitler was confirmed as a “soldier of Christ.”
Hitler was NEVER excommunicated nor condemned by his church
Hitler worked CLOSELY with Pope Pius
And Hitler turned his back on his faith and his religion and because an atheist. Just as many of you have done.

Location hidden

#148340 Jan 15, 2013
wilderide wrote:
Well, you can rationalize all you want, and I don't blame you for trying, but frankly, the Bible is pretty clear that women are to be subjugated, and Paul was very clear that they should not teach Christian ideology at all. Spread the word? Yes. Discuss it intellectually? Absolutely not.
God has ordained that only men are to serve in positions of spiritual teaching authority in the church. This is not because men are necessarily better teachers, or because women are inferior or less intelligent (which is not the case). It is simply the way God designed the church to function. Men are to set the example in spiritual leadership—in their lives and through their words.

Women are encouraged to teach other women (Titus 2:3-5). The Bible also does not restrict women from teaching children. The only activity women are restricted from is teaching or having spiritual authority over men. This logically would preclude women from serving as pastors to men.

This does not make women less important, by any means, but rather gives them a ministry focus more in agreement with God’s plan and His gifting of them.

Women excel in gifts of hospitality, mercy, teaching, evangelism, and helps. Much of the ministry of the local church depends on women.

Women, just as much as men, are called to minister to others, to demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit and to proclaim the gospel.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#148341 Jan 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God has ordained that only men are to serve in positions of spiritual teaching authority in the church. This is not because men are necessarily better teachers, or because women are inferior or less intelligent (which is not the case).
Oh I agree the Bible says they shall not serve in leadership or teach in the ideology. However, women are clearly defined as inferior. Paul rationalizes that women were the cause of downfall of humans in Eden, thus they are to be blamed and subjugated by men. Who, by the way, also ate the fruit, but somehow that was also the woman's fault too. I guess in Christian ideology men are gullible and stupid, and women are smarter and therefore need to be controlled.
It is simply the way God designed the church to function.
In other words, there is no rationale. It is what it is because.

Women are encouraged to teach other women (Titus 2:3-5).
Read the passage you quote. They are encouraged to serve as an example to each other, NOT teach or instruct in the Bible.
The Bible also does not restrict women from teaching children. The only activity women are restricted from is teaching or having spiritual authority over men. This logically would preclude women from serving as pastors to men.
This does not make women less important,
LOL! Of course it does.
by any means, but rather gives them a ministry focus more in agreement with God’s plan and His gifting of them.
Circular reasoning.
Women excel in gifts of hospitality, mercy, teaching, evangelism, and helps. Much of the ministry of the local church depends on women.
Women, just as much as men, are called to minister to others, to demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit and to proclaim the gospel.
Again, women are not to discuss religious ideology at all. The Bible says they are to be living examples merely, and subjugated in all ways to men. Any women who instructs in the Word is sinning. She must defer to her husband or a male relative. They can hand out all the Bibles they want, and tell everyone how much they love Jesus, but it can go no futher than that.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148342 Jan 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You crazy b!tches say the craziest sh!t you know that?
Go take your medicine jackass.
<quoted text>
And you are Prince Charming ~ hope you can find some medicine to help heal your heart.......

#148343 Jan 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.ph p?record_id=11919&page=69
Let's talk evolution.
Organic life requires water. It requires water to even form to begin the process of evolution. It requires a fairly stable temperature for it to sustain itself enough to even evolve. This is true down to the lowest level.
Watch the dew evaporate. It does it on cold days. It isn't radiant heat evaporating it, it is energy absorption causing the molecules to separate. Diamagnetism.
Look at the Big Bang theory. Got hot and "exploded".
Earth in its present location is just not conducive for life to spring out of nowhere. Too much variation. However, life that started someplace else could adapt.
EM. THE energetic force that creates everything you can see or touch. It started somewhere.
And suddenly stopped ~ just like building pyramids!!
Pat

Granby, CT

#148344 Jan 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I was hit by a truck, vacated my body, realized I just died, went through the agony of losing my place here, woke up in another dimension, and was inches from stepping into another manifestation before being allowed back.
Didn't see one single god or any other entity. But there was something out there I did not want to encounter.
I was a non=believer. Had absolutely zero concern or even thought that my existence was about to cease. Never crossed my consciousness. Was just moving on to something else. It was all "natural" as can be.
Now, tell us what your experience in it is. You seem so very much in the know. Tell us all about it.
A delusional dream is all you've got? Could it be that you had that particular dream due to your religious indoctrination? The bottom line is that awareness REQUIRES working senses and a brain to process the information, neither of which you have after death. It is impossible to experience anything after death. What you had was a dream or it was your just brain shutting down when you were close to death.

#148345 Jan 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
My age is higher than your IQ.
HaHa..... the IQ of his heart is indeed dismally low :)

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#148346 Jan 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the motion of the molecules is caused by the absorption of light energy?
I've posted before about watching frost on windshields on frozen mornings evaporate before direct sunlight hits them. The sun was just coming up and still behind the mountains. A mile high and low humidity. Scattering from the atmosphere. Low level intensity. This sets up a current, resulting in that lowest temperature of the day after sunrise phenomenon, caused by the Peltier-Seebeck effect.
EM, son, it's all about the EM. Motion.
Could have sworn the BBT is based upon a superhot and superdense something or other suddenly expanding and then separating, then creating individual forms from condensing.
Boil water. Melt some gold. Melt some platinum. Let the vapor encounter an outside force and see if they condense differently. Or something like that.
Polymath257 is probably right--he is a physicist, after all, so this is within his area of expertise. But that's an appeal to authority, of course, and could be wrong. Consider, though, what happens to the ice cubes in your freezer if you leave them there for a long time without using them--they get smaller and eventually disappear altogether, evaporating in the cold and dark because of that molecular motion, which does not come from light energy and slows only as the temperature of the ice approaches absolute zero.

I think. I'm sure Poymath will correct me if I'm wrong.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#148347 Jan 15, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>HaHa..... the IQ of his heart is indeed dismally low :)
Hearts pump blood, they are a muscle, as such they contain no intelligence.

#148348 Jan 15, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you deny what a corpse represents? Why do you deny that memory and awareness are functions of an organ called a brain and these functions cease upon death no different than your blood stops flowing when your heart stops beating? Why do you deny these plainly obvious things? If a corpse can not be considered proof that death ends personal memory and awareness then NOTHING we know could ever be considered to be proven for a corpse is the most conclusive proof there could ever possibly be to support the fact that death ends life.
That's because you choose to ignore those who have almost died and been delivered back to their bodes. Out of body experiences, or NDE's ..... the corpse represents the Vessel that the Soul traveled in, and when the Soul departs the Vessel, it is empty and devoid of 'life' as we know it!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#148349 Jan 15, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
A delusional dream is all you've got? Could it be that you had that particular dream due to your religious indoctrination? The bottom line is that awareness REQUIRES working senses and a brain to process the information, neither of which you have after death. It is impossible to experience anything after death. What you had was a dream or it was your just brain shutting down when you were close to death.
You are obviously inattentive and unable to grasp things, perhaps a genetic defect.

My brain, or even yours, would be panicking like crazy when it sees the final curtain coming down. Didn't happen. Just having to move along. Be advised I just ate a dump truck pulling a bulldozer moments before. I was not dreaming. I've been under the knife and didn't remember a thing, but I recall that experience very well.

It boils down to if you believe meat makes the mind, or the mind makes the meat. If you are stuck on being a piece of stellar poop, then I will not argue with you, and certainly won't hold you in any special regard. You are just a piece of meat, just a bit warmer than that corpse you refer to.

You are assuming a lot about what happens just because a body ceases to function anymore. Here is something to think about. It is everyone else that has died, not you. Your "physical" proof is that a mechanism just ceased to exist, not a consciousness.

The walking dead like you are a drag on mankind. Man must aspire to something more than being just animated collections of molecules.

After many millenia of experience, mankind still refers to the spirit in each of us. Spirit is intangible. Non-physical, but very, very real.

You have no license for passing judgments or determining truths for others.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#148350 Jan 15, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>That's because you choose to ignore those who have almost died and been delivered back to their bodes. Out of body experiences, or NDE's ..... the corpse represents the Vessel that the Soul traveled in, and when the Soul departs the Vessel, it is empty and devoid of 'life' as we know it!
"Almost died" is not dead. We know why they see what they think they see, we have explained it. You ignore the facts simply because you hate your life so much you think you deserve another chance, or more of it. If you'd stop wasting time planning for something you "hope" exists and start living your life, you'd have a more fulfilling life.

#148351 Jan 15, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you can rationalize all you want, and I don't blame you for trying, but frankly, the Bible is pretty clear that women are to be subjugated, and Paul was very clear that they should not teach Christian ideology at all. Spread the word? Yes. Discuss it intellectually? Absolutely not.
Yes, you are right, however there is much to learn and not all men have that much to teach, so we go to where our interests are, to get that which we seek.

***For Jews of today, Serah bat Asher serves as a traditional model for our contemporary women leaders, imbued with worldly wisdom, Torah learning, and spiritual power.

http://huc.edu/faculty/faculty/pubs/pbregman.... ***

Although I am not Jewish, as such, I can comprehend that we are linked and then separated .... JESUS Himself was a Jewish Rabbi, and Christianity as we know it came after the death of JESUS; and we each went our separate ways, seeking the Path that takes us to that where we are heading :)

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#148352 Jan 15, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Polymath257 is probably right--he is a physicist, after all, so this is within his area of expertise. But that's an appeal to authority, of course, and could be wrong. Consider, though, what happens to the ice cubes in your freezer if you leave them there for a long time without using them--they get smaller and eventually disappear altogether, evaporating in the cold and dark because of that molecular motion, which does not come from light energy and slows only as the temperature of the ice approaches absolute zero.
I think. I'm sure Poymath will correct me if I'm wrong.
Check for holes in your ice trays. Try not to open the door so much, either.

There is an amount of EM waves bouncing around in that freezer. Freezers aren't that cold. It is colder in many parts of the world, yet the glaciers don't seem to shrink too much.

OOPS!!!!

I forgot!! They are! Global warming. The scientists say so. Must be because we don't use them often enough. The glaciers, that is.

Everybody!! Go to the Arctic and fix a drink! Save the planet.

:-)

San Francisco

#148353 Jan 15, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you are right, however there is much to learn and not all men have that much to teach, so we go to where our interests are, to get that which we seek.
***For Jews of today, Serah bat Asher serves as a traditional model for our contemporary women leaders, imbued with worldly wisdom, Torah learning, and spiritual power.
http://huc.edu/faculty/faculty/pubs/pbregman.... ***
Although I am not Jewish, as such, I can comprehend that we are linked and then separated .... JESUS Himself was a Jewish Rabbi, and Christianity as we know it came after the death of JESUS; and we each went our separate ways, seeking the Path that takes us to that where we are heading :)
It really doesn't bother you that you are to be subjugated to men, can have any leadership roles, and can't even discuss Christian ideology?

San Francisco

#148354 Jan 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an amount of EM waves bouncing around in that freezer. Freezers aren't that cold. It is colder in many parts of the world, yet the glaciers don't seem to shrink too much.
OOPS!!!!
I forgot!! They are! Global warming. The scientists say so. Must be because we don't use them often enough. The glaciers, that is.
Global warming is a well-established scientific fact. And not because scientists say so, but because objective evidence over several disciplines do. Now, you could argue what the ramifications of climate change might be, but the phenomenon is happening.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#148355 Jan 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
OOPS!!!!
A freezer running and seldom opened , would take keep ice indefinitely, presuming it ran that long.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 46 min Thinking 739
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Thinking 1,041
Atheists, where do these demons come from? 1 hr Thinking 2
Heaven 3 hr Thinking 11
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 hr Patrick 5,940
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 hr I can read 22,938
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 8 hr Thinking 155

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE