Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#148324 Jan 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the motion of the molecules is caused by the absorption of light energy?
Some is, but not the main part. The main part of the motion is simply due to temperature.
I've posted before about watching frost on windshields on frozen mornings evaporate before direct sunlight hits them. The sun was just coming up and still behind the mountains. A mile high and low humidity. Scattering from the atmosphere. Low level intensity. This sets up a current, resulting in that lowest temperature of the day after sunrise phenomenon, caused by the Peltier-Seebeck effect.
Yes, even the solid ice has a vapor pressure due to the temperature.
EM, son, it's all about the EM. Motion.
Some things are due to EM and others are not. Motion is generally not.
Could have sworn the BBT is based upon a superhot and superdense something or other suddenly expanding and then separating, then creating individual forms from condensing.
Not quite. The *whole universe* was hot and expanding just *after* the BB. it is not the case of something *previous* heating up and then expanding.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#148325 Jan 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be like an F22 here requiring an f2.8 there?
Yes, that's about right. For the same shutter speeds.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#148326 Jan 15, 2013
Says the self proclaimed deist who tells people to believe in god or burn in hell? Asswipe Dave doesn't even know what a deist is!

Oh and how about Cassandra Peterson never posed nude? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!

Glad to have you back half wit, do try not to cut off your own fingers again. I am sure you will be dazzling us with your garage magnet and strings experiments that proves god.

Lmfao! Yes you are the topic version of Grampa Simpson.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
My age is higher than your IQ.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#148327 Jan 15, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some is, but not the main part. The main part of the motion is simply due to temperature.
<quoted text>
Yes, even the solid ice has a vapor pressure due to the temperature.
<quoted text>
Some things are due to EM and others are not. Motion is generally not.
<quoted text>
Not quite. The *whole universe* was hot and expanding just *after* the BB. it is not the case of something *previous* heating up and then expanding.
The base temp is determined by conductive heat from the environment. It is that scattered light energy sending it off zooming.

Gravity can cause nuclear particles to start moving, but it is EM that combines them, and that can then provide propulsion in addition to attraction. EM doesn't sit still.

Air temp is colder at 7 AM than at 4 AM. Yet that dew starts dissembling.

Humidity tends to be highest in the morning. Increased scattering of light as the sun rises cooks it off. Except it places it can't escape. I've seen it go from 80% in the morning here to 8% in the late afternoon, and it is only 4000 feet. The humidity can be quite low at night.

Westcliffe, CO

#148328 Jan 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Says the self proclaimed deist who tells people to believe in god or burn in hell? Asswipe Dave doesn't even know what a deist is!
Oh and how about Cassandra Peterson never posed nude? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
Glad to have you back half wit, do try not to cut off your own fingers again. I am sure you will be dazzling us with your garage magnet and strings experiments that proves god.
Lmfao! Yes you are the topic version of Grampa Simpson.
<quoted text>
Silly creature, I never said any such thing. I said if you deny the creative force, which is intelligent, then you may wind up just doing nothing for eternity all by yourself. Burning in hell would at least be something to do.

Spend eternity conscious with not a thing to do or interact with. Try to imagine it.
Pat

Granby, CT

#148329 Jan 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly creature, I never said any such thing. I said if you deny the creative force, which is intelligent, then you may wind up just doing nothing for eternity all by yourself. Burning in hell would at least be something to do.
Spend eternity conscious with not a thing to do or interact with. Try to imagine it.
Why do you deny what a corpse represents? Why do you deny that memory and awareness are functions of an organ called a brain and these functions cease upon death no different than your blood stops flowing when your heart stops beating? Why do you deny these plainly obvious things? If a corpse can not be considered proof that death ends personal memory and awareness then NOTHING we know could ever be considered to be proven for a corpse is the most conclusive proof there could ever possibly be to support the fact that death ends life.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#148330 Jan 15, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a link to a few man made idols that people pray too..
https://www.google.com.au/search...
I have never thought of GOD as insecure, although when I read Genesis 6:6, and think of GOD repenting and remorseful for creating man(kind) my heart hurts. It hurts because we have not learned anything in all these thousands of years ~ and I am sure that HIS Heart still hurts when HE sees and feels the cruel acts of others on HIS Beloved Children, and animals.
Have you seen how they torture animals in some countries when they are slaughtering them? Put hoses up their noses, break their legs, beat them while they are down? Do you feel sorrow when you watch these things, or really don't give a hoot?
***RSPCA Australia and Animals Australia have joined forces to call for an immediate halt to the cattle trade to Indonesia after the exposure of the worst abuses ever documented in Australia’s live export trade.
The investigation, carried out by Animals Australia in March, revealed that on a nightly basis Australian cattle are being subjected to abuse and torture prior to slaughter.
Animals Australia’s cruelty investigator, Lyn White, said the Minister’s announcement tonight of putting his department in charge of an investigation in Indonesia is unacceptable.
“This is the very department that has been doing the industry’s bidding for decades so no Australian can rest easy knowing these animals are back in their hands,” said Ms White.
She also commented that the industry’s eleventh hour bid to suspend supply to three abattoirs is a desperate attempt to appease public outrage.
“MLA representatives had visited six times in the last 14 months one of the most brutal abattoirs filmed in this investigation. Yet they are now suggesting further training is the solution when clearly they have failed to prevent the cruelty occurring there on a nightly basis.
http://www.rspca.org.au/media-centre/cruel-ca... ***
Even though we protest about live transportation and export of our animals, certain religious types believe that the animals have to be killed facing certain directions, or for some other inane reason. We have tried to train them to be humane, to no avail, as they go back to their cruel and demented torture of our animals.
I hope they ban live export..... but sometimes, our Governments are wimps, regardless of what the majority needs.
Maybe these are the reasons why GOD does not want people idolising idols, they end up with wooden hearts that don't feel the pain of others. There are a couple in here that think it is funny that a young girl was burned to death and laughed about her rotting in the ground.... perhaps it is due to the hardness or the wooden heart affect, or perhaps they are just cruel.
I totally agree with the above sentiments about animal cruelty. I don't think animals should be exploited by humans in any way, and that includes enslaving them and culling them for food.

However, to get back to the concept of idolatry, it's pretty simple: God doesn't want competition. When you revere an object you take away reverence for God. To reference a Zen Buddhist quotation, don't confuse the finger pointing at the moon with the moon itself. But as soon as you have symbols that you invest with power or even reverence, like crosses and icons, then you have idolatry. It just depends on how much idolatry one is supposed to be tolerant of.

San Francisco

#148331 Jan 15, 2013
tagit wrote:
<quoted text>
My employer thinks so. He doesn't beat me, he's sneakier than that. He just works me to death.
Despite the feminist movement, we are still dividing life up into "boy" things and "girl" things. In our culture male sexism is wedded to power. Oppression is the act of subjugating through the unjust use of force or authority. How do you oppress a group of people who have been conditioned to view themselves as "masters" and who act accordingly? Men are used to running the show and, for the most part, don't reward "female" style anything. With their feet in the twenty first century and their minds in the fourth, they still perceive "female" as weak.
Female beauty is a image created by men. This concocted image of is everything no living woman can ever be: a twelve year old with twenty-five year old breasts, the one who never sweats, never wrinkles, is always ready to be displayed and never gets tired of being judged. The Perma-Pressed female, ever ready to please, always smiling, never aging, always innocent and always AVAILABLE.
I completely agree. It's interesting that both genders are defined differently over time and across cultures. I presume that male domination will increasingly recede in the Western world, at least overt male domination. Women often assert power more subtly than that.

San Francisco

#148332 Jan 15, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
***If Thomas is the iconic missionary and Mark a political cornerstone, Mary Magdalene epitomizes the mystical saint, closely associated with grace and divine intercession. Other saints, including Thérèse of Lisieux and Teresa of Ávila, play a similar role among Catholics, but none has exerted a stronger pull on the imagination, or created more controversy, than Mary Magdalene. Once maligned as a reformed courtesan, venerated today by millions worldwide, she was a significant presence in Christ's inner circle.
Although one tradition holds that she died in Ephesus, others maintain that she traveled from the Middle East to southern France. But establishing with scientific certainty that Mary Magdalene came to the hills of Provence, or that Thomas died in India, is likely to remain outside our grasp. Scientific analysis of relics is invariably inadequate, often confirming only that the bones are of the right gender and period. Advances in testing and archaeology, together with the discovery of yet unknown manuscripts, will continue to refine our historical knowledge of the saints. But much will remain inconclusive. How best, then, to understand these individuals if the reach of science is limited? As with most of the earliest Christians, we must rely largely on legend and historical accounts, acknowledging the power these mythic figures still exert today, some 2,000 years after their deaths.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/03/apo... ***
***Serah bat Asher was, in the Tanakh, a daughter of Asher, the son of Jacob. She is counted among the seventy members of the patriarch's family who emigrated from Canaan to Egypt,[1] and her name occurs in connection with the census taken by Moses in the wilderness.[2] She is mentioned also among the descendants of Asher in I Chronicles vii. 30. The fact of her being the only one of her sex to be mentioned in the genealogical lists seemed to the Rabbis to indicate that there was something extraordinary in connection with her history; and she became the heroine of several legends.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serah ***
***What do we know about Serah bat Asher? The Etz Hayim commentary indicates: "It is inconceivable that Jacob's 12 sons should have had 53 sons and only one daughter. In light of the general tendency to omit women from the genealogies, there must be some extraordinary reason for her mention here, although no hint is given in the text." Her name appears only one other time in the Torah, Numbers 26:46, in the census taken by Moses in the desert.
Since the same name appears in both these lists, the rabbis assume that she must be same person. But how is it possible for the same person to have gone into Egypt with Jacob and his family and then be counted in the census after the Exodus from Egypt several hundred years later?
http://www.jewishjournal.com/torah_portion/ar... ***
I have a reason that I use the name Serah.... and it is not because I think women do not have a right to spread the word of GOD and JESUS :)
Well, you can rationalize all you want, and I don't blame you for trying, but frankly, the Bible is pretty clear that women are to be subjugated, and Paul was very clear that they should not teach Christian ideology at all. Spread the word? Yes. Discuss it intellectually? Absolutely not.

Westcliffe, CO

#148333 Jan 15, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you deny what a corpse represents? Why do you deny that memory and awareness are functions of an organ called a brain and these functions cease upon death no different than your blood stops flowing when your heart stops beating? Why do you deny these plainly obvious things? If a corpse can not be considered proof that death ends personal memory and awareness then NOTHING we know could ever be considered to be proven for a corpse is the most conclusive proof there could ever possibly be to support the fact that death ends life.
Because I was hit by a truck, vacated my body, realized I just died, went through the agony of losing my place here, woke up in another dimension, and was inches from stepping into another manifestation before being allowed back.

Didn't see one single god or any other entity. But there was something out there I did not want to encounter.

I was a non=believer. Had absolutely zero concern or even thought that my existence was about to cease. Never crossed my consciousness. Was just moving on to something else. It was all "natural" as can be.

Now, tell us what your experience in it is. You seem so very much in the know. Tell us all about it.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148334 Jan 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Read it slowly, then I will explain your error.
Exodus 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
First, "Exodus 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image". Notice that it states that you shalt not MAKE.
Second, "Exodus 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down". Two separate commandments.
Now, the only thing left is the term 'graven'. Who determines if you are worshiping an image or not? Obviously the catholics bow in front of statues and pray while holding objects. What about people who pray in front of a cross? Is it a symbol? Does it replace an image of jesus?
What is the difference between you praying in front of an empty cross and a follower of baal praying in front of a golden calf? The follower of baal does not believe that the golden calf that he just made is baal anymore than you believe that the cross is jesus.
The difference is simple; you rationalize your behavior and demonize the same behavior from others.
Great, so it's just like I said. It's ok to have pictures, paintings and statues as long as they aren't worshipped.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#148335 Jan 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical creationist response - accuse theoster of being communist...
Typical atheist response, call anyone that you disagree with a creationist.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#148336 Jan 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
You have no proof of god,- you're lying about it , we're not at stupid...
You're stupid enough to misspell "that"....

Dumb athitard.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#148337 Jan 15, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
A ridiculous statement.
Lets get back to the issue here.
Slavery.
The bible translations use the word servant or manservant, whereas the true meaning is slave.
Brothers and sisters open your bibles at Leviticus chapter 25:
The following passage shows {{{SNIP}}}
The book of Leviticus is a statute of laws for the Levites.

But I'm sure you already knew that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#148338 Jan 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Nope. The Christian south fought to keep dlavery even quoting biblical passages to back up their claim.
There were many on both sides that wanted to keep slavery legal just as there were many on both sides that wanted to abolish it.

There no reason to argue about dlavery(sic).

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#148339 Jan 15, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
Hitler was baptised as Roman Catholic
Hitler attended a catholic monastery school
Hitler was a communicant and an altar boy in the Catholic Church.
Hitler was confirmed as a “soldier of Christ.”
Hitler was NEVER excommunicated nor condemned by his church
Hitler worked CLOSELY with Pope Pius
And Hitler turned his back on his faith and his religion and because an atheist. Just as many of you have done.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#148340 Jan 15, 2013
wilderide wrote:
Well, you can rationalize all you want, and I don't blame you for trying, but frankly, the Bible is pretty clear that women are to be subjugated, and Paul was very clear that they should not teach Christian ideology at all. Spread the word? Yes. Discuss it intellectually? Absolutely not.
God has ordained that only men are to serve in positions of spiritual teaching authority in the church. This is not because men are necessarily better teachers, or because women are inferior or less intelligent (which is not the case). It is simply the way God designed the church to function. Men are to set the example in spiritual leadership—in their lives and through their words.

Women are encouraged to teach other women (Titus 2:3-5). The Bible also does not restrict women from teaching children. The only activity women are restricted from is teaching or having spiritual authority over men. This logically would preclude women from serving as pastors to men.

This does not make women less important, by any means, but rather gives them a ministry focus more in agreement with God’s plan and His gifting of them.

Women excel in gifts of hospitality, mercy, teaching, evangelism, and helps. Much of the ministry of the local church depends on women.

Women, just as much as men, are called to minister to others, to demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit and to proclaim the gospel.

San Francisco

#148341 Jan 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God has ordained that only men are to serve in positions of spiritual teaching authority in the church. This is not because men are necessarily better teachers, or because women are inferior or less intelligent (which is not the case).
Oh I agree the Bible says they shall not serve in leadership or teach in the ideology. However, women are clearly defined as inferior. Paul rationalizes that women were the cause of downfall of humans in Eden, thus they are to be blamed and subjugated by men. Who, by the way, also ate the fruit, but somehow that was also the woman's fault too. I guess in Christian ideology men are gullible and stupid, and women are smarter and therefore need to be controlled.
It is simply the way God designed the church to function.
In other words, there is no rationale. It is what it is because.

Women are encouraged to teach other women (Titus 2:3-5).
Read the passage you quote. They are encouraged to serve as an example to each other, NOT teach or instruct in the Bible.
The Bible also does not restrict women from teaching children. The only activity women are restricted from is teaching or having spiritual authority over men. This logically would preclude women from serving as pastors to men.
This does not make women less important,
LOL! Of course it does.
by any means, but rather gives them a ministry focus more in agreement with God’s plan and His gifting of them.
Circular reasoning.
Women excel in gifts of hospitality, mercy, teaching, evangelism, and helps. Much of the ministry of the local church depends on women.
Women, just as much as men, are called to minister to others, to demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit and to proclaim the gospel.
Again, women are not to discuss religious ideology at all. The Bible says they are to be living examples merely, and subjugated in all ways to men. Any women who instructs in the Word is sinning. She must defer to her husband or a male relative. They can hand out all the Bibles they want, and tell everyone how much they love Jesus, but it can go no futher than that.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148342 Jan 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You crazy b!tches say the craziest sh!t you know that?
Go take your medicine jackass.
<quoted text>
And you are Prince Charming ~ hope you can find some medicine to help heal your heart.......

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148343 Jan 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.ph p?record_id=11919&page=69
Let's talk evolution.
Organic life requires water. It requires water to even form to begin the process of evolution. It requires a fairly stable temperature for it to sustain itself enough to even evolve. This is true down to the lowest level.
Watch the dew evaporate. It does it on cold days. It isn't radiant heat evaporating it, it is energy absorption causing the molecules to separate. Diamagnetism.
Look at the Big Bang theory. Got hot and "exploded".
Earth in its present location is just not conducive for life to spring out of nowhere. Too much variation. However, life that started someplace else could adapt.
EM. THE energetic force that creates everything you can see or touch. It started somewhere.
And suddenly stopped ~ just like building pyramids!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 min Thinking 4,833
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 min Thinking 6,041
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Denisova 16,742
The Consequences of Atheism 15 min Patrick 785
Richard Dawkins - God is evil, pedophilesa not ... (Sep '13) 17 min Patrick n Angela 3,040
Is Religion Childish? 4 hr ChristineM 143
.com | Why is Atheism on the Rise - Final Response Sun thetruth 6
More from around the web