Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
142,401 - 142,420 of 225,681 Comments Last updated 18 min ago

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Cherry picking atheists.
Pictures, paintings or statues are fine to have - so long as they're not worshipped.
Read it slowly, then I will explain your error.

Exodus 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

First, "Exodus 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image". Notice that it states that you shalt not MAKE.

Second, "Exodus 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down". Two separate commandments.

Now, the only thing left is the term 'graven'. Who determines if you are worshiping an image or not? Obviously the catholics bow in front of statues and pray while holding objects. What about people who pray in front of a cross? Is it a symbol? Does it replace an image of jesus?

What is the difference between you praying in front of an empty cross and a follower of baal praying in front of a golden calf? The follower of baal does not believe that the golden calf that he just made is baal anymore than you believe that the cross is jesus.

The difference is simple; you rationalize your behavior and demonize the same behavior from others.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think GOD told us not to eat on a day of the week, to look after our children, change their clothes, feed the animals etc etc? Do you think GOD wanted a baby to scream all day because it was hungry?
Man, you really don't know GOD!
What does this say?

Exodus 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Did you miss it? "But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work"

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Of course I do, and I wear a cross around my neck continually, with the face of JESUS etched into it. I have the Last Supper hanging on my wall, and a Nativity Scene set up all year around on the mantle piece above the fireplace. 4 of my lightshades are Cherubs....among many other Spiritually enhanced treasures.
Do I Idolise these things? Do I pray to these things? No, I Pray to GOD!
Since you have no idea what jesus looked like, how do you know that it is his face etched on it?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Which Statute of GOD are you saying allows child abuse and slavery?
Haven't I quoted those verses enough for you? You sit there and bitch that I quote the same verses, over and over, then you have the nerve to ask a stupid question like that!
Serah

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
What does this say?
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Did you miss it? "But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work"
That doesn't mean you can't feed your babies, or wash yourself..... nor do I have strangers within my gates LOL!!
Serah

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you have no idea what jesus looked like, how do you know that it is his face etched on it?
How do you know that they have portrayed the image of JESUS wrong?
Serah

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Haven't I quoted those verses enough for you? You sit there and bitch that I quote the same verses, over and over, then you have the nerve to ask a stupid question like that!
Yeah ~ don't repost them, you never like my responses anyway LOL
Serah

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Read it slowly, then I will explain your error.
Exodus 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
First, "Exodus 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image". Notice that it states that you shalt not MAKE.
Second, "Exodus 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down". Two separate commandments.
Now, the only thing left is the term 'graven'. Who determines if you are worshiping an image or not? Obviously the catholics bow in front of statues and pray while holding objects. What about people who pray in front of a cross? Is it a symbol? Does it replace an image of jesus?
What is the difference between you praying in front of an empty cross and a follower of baal praying in front of a golden calf? The follower of baal does not believe that the golden calf that he just made is baal anymore than you believe that the cross is jesus.
The difference is simple; you rationalize your behavior and demonize the same behavior from others.
Noticed the make bit, and haven't made any graven image..

Noticed the bow down bit? Don't bow down either.... but have written many times my Home is my Church and my Body is my Temple, and there is no religion I can call my own.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>That doesn't mean you can't feed your babies, or wash yourself..... nor do I have strangers within my gates LOL!!
Thank you for clarifying what god meant! What would we do without you and all your various friends from so many various denominations, explaining that you know what god meant!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know that they have portrayed the image of JESUS wrong?
I wonder why there are so many variations on how he looked? They all must be right, but yours is more right, right? LOL!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah ~ don't repost them, you never like my responses anyway LOL
LOL, Blacksheep, I never liked those verses, so I didn't pay any attention to them! If I don't like them, then god never meant them.

Believe me, serah, I know how you are.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Noticed the make bit, and haven't made any graven image..
Noticed the bow down bit? Don't bow down either.... but have written many times my Home is my Church and my Body is my Temple, and there is no religion I can call my own.
LOL! good one! Rationalization at its best!

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It is placing an artificial value on the object, thus you are worshiping it.
Everything has a value. What are you a communist?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. Printmaking is an art that produces multiple copies by its very nature. Using technology to reproduce a work of art does not detract from the artistry that went into making the original. A piece's merit lies in its beauty and expressiveness, not the means by which it came to be.
Agreed.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Everything has a value. What are you a communist?
Typical creationist response - accuse theoster of being communist...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know that they have portrayed the image of JESUS wrong?
You have no proof of god,- you're lying about it , we're not at stupid...

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! good one! Rationalization at its best!
Your projecting...
Anonymous

Snellville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no proof of god,- you're lying about it , we're not at stupid...
Still using that same ol' atheist tactic of being condescending to others? You see, there is a rational case for God and Christianity and indeed, there is a rational case for atheism. To me, evidence really does make more sense that there is a God.

I can never convince you to listen to Kent Hovid or Bob Dubko or to go on an internet search for biblical artifacts. Because if you are not willing to even listen, then why waste your time in an atheist forum when you really don't care? There is not going to be 100% proof of God to you unless you see Christ come down from the sky. And even then, you will say it was a hologram. I have strong faith because I do research and am always amazed at the new discoveries I find. I watch that Atheist Experience on YouTube sometimes and get irritated when so much of the atheist culture is about being condescending to others in hopes of winning them over to your way of thinking. I am not afraid of the thought of macro evolution, if I truly thought it were fact, I would believe it. Here's 100 Reasons Why Evolution Is Stupid:

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Thinking wrote:
In bob nobgobbler's case: "Scrotum, scrotum, scrotum, sore hide!"
<quoted text>
16Jan13.....

.....Ya read'em ALL don'tCha, ya schidt-for-brains.

Ps:....Read'em and weep.

Forever and Ever

BobLoblah

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Thinking wrote:
In bob nobgobbler's case: "Scrotum, scrotum, scrotum, sore hide!"
<quoted text>
16Jan13.....

.....didCher Catholic Christian wife make it to church during Christmas!!!

Ps:.....or is she a hypocrite like you, ya eeejit.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 20 min Thinking 292
Our world came from nothing? 22 min Thinking 366
If Christianity were true... 24 min Thinking 152
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr I can read 21,464
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 8 hr religionisillness 104
The Ultimate Evidence of God 8 hr religionisillness 44
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 8 hr religionisillness 84

Search the Atheism Forum:
•••