Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
142,381 - 142,400 of 225,708 Comments Last updated 8 min ago
Serah

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, again, I don't see how any one can agree with it in total when it contradicts itself, both in facts and in ethics. If you accepted the entire Bible, you would be living with an inhuman amount of cognitive dissonance. Not to mention some very outdated mores. For example, do you support slavery?
Colossians 4;4 Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.

2 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;

3 Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:

4 That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.

5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

(KJV)....

I need to work of course, to pay my taxes, earn my keep and have a roof over my head. Am I not a slave as such to an Employer? I can assure you, that not all of my Employer's have been worthy .... how about your work history? Any of your Employer's treat you with disrespect, or been dishonest? Known a few whose speech was not always with grace?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Putti is the plural (you said you had four)

Cherubs are something very different- don't feel too dumb, it's a common error.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>putti?
had to look it up ~ more like putto; a chubby, winged angel. also known as a cherub.
so, sorry to disappoint you by disagreeing with you again, but I have 4 cherub lightshades
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, again, I don't see how any one can agree with it in total when it contradicts itself, both in facts and in ethics. If you accepted the entire Bible, you would be living with an inhuman amount of cognitive dissonance. Not to mention some very outdated mores. For example, do you support slavery?
Atheist Stalin set up extensive slave labor camps.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Mass produced images are not art.
I disagree. Printmaking is an art that produces multiple copies by its very nature. Using technology to reproduce a work of art does not detract from the artistry that went into making the original. A piece's merit lies in its beauty and expressiveness, not the means by which it came to be.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Colossians 4;4 Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.
2 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;
3 Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:
4 That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.
5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
(KJV)....
I need to work of course, to pay my taxes, earn my keep and have a roof over my head. Am I not a slave as such to an Employer? I can assure you, that not all of my Employer's have been worthy .... how about your work history? Any of your Employer's treat you with disrespect, or been dishonest? Known a few whose speech was not always with grace?
Are you the property of your employer? In the Bible, a slave is a piece of property to the owner, who can beat them unto death if they so choose. In a like fashion, women are the property of men, and women are to be quiet and submissive to them, and not take any leadership roles, nor teach Christian ideology, but rather must defer to their husbands or male relatives.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple logic my friend: Stalin may have been an atheist (which is arguable), but not all atheists are like Stalin. Hope that helps!
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. Printmaking is an art that produces multiple copies by its very nature. Using technology to reproduce a work of art does not detract from the artistry that went into making the original. A piece's merit lies in its beauty and expressiveness, not the means by which it came to be.
Check and Checkmate !

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Gehenna slave, really?
If you are referring to Gehenna, as in 'Hell' then yes. Slave, not so much...
Christ wasn't ignorant of what Gehenna meant to the people of His day. The mere fact that Christ utilized the 'Rabbinic' language connected with Gehenna, with words like “unquenchable fire” and “never-dying worms,” shows me beyond all reasonable doubt that Christ deliberately used the word 'Gehenna' to impress upon His people that eternal punishment awaits the wicked after the resurrection. No other conclusion is possible. SL :)

Your questions are welcome. I don't have time to stay on here all day, so I will answer them, as soon as it's convenient.
Have a great day!
Serah

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful! Yahweh get's upset when you add to or take away from the Bible! The Bible never calls them man-made in that context.
Also, don't you find the idea that God could be jealous, and by extension insecure, an interesting passage?
Here's a link to a few man made idols that people pray too..

https://www.google.com.au/search...

I have never thought of GOD as insecure, although when I read Genesis 6:6, and think of GOD repenting and remorseful for creating man(kind) my heart hurts. It hurts because we have not learned anything in all these thousands of years ~ and I am sure that HIS Heart still hurts when HE sees and feels the cruel acts of others on HIS Beloved Children, and animals.

Have you seen how they torture animals in some countries when they are slaughtering them? Put hoses up their noses, break their legs, beat them while they are down? Do you feel sorrow when you watch these things, or really don't give a hoot?

***RSPCA Australia and Animals Australia have joined forces to call for an immediate halt to the cattle trade to Indonesia after the exposure of the worst abuses ever documented in Australia’s live export trade.

The investigation, carried out by Animals Australia in March, revealed that on a nightly basis Australian cattle are being subjected to abuse and torture prior to slaughter.

Animals Australia’s cruelty investigator, Lyn White, said the Minister’s announcement tonight of putting his department in charge of an investigation in Indonesia is unacceptable.

“This is the very department that has been doing the industry’s bidding for decades so no Australian can rest easy knowing these animals are back in their hands,” said Ms White.

She also commented that the industry’s eleventh hour bid to suspend supply to three abattoirs is a desperate attempt to appease public outrage.

“MLA representatives had visited six times in the last 14 months one of the most brutal abattoirs filmed in this investigation. Yet they are now suggesting further training is the solution when clearly they have failed to prevent the cruelty occurring there on a nightly basis.

http://www.rspca.org.au/media-centre/cruel-ca... ***

Even though we protest about live transportation and export of our animals, certain religious types believe that the animals have to be killed facing certain directions, or for some other inane reason. We have tried to train them to be humane, to no avail, as they go back to their cruel and demented torture of our animals.

I hope they ban live export..... but sometimes, our Governments are wimps, regardless of what the majority needs.

Maybe these are the reasons why GOD does not want people idolising idols, they end up with wooden hearts that don't feel the pain of others. There are a couple in here that think it is funny that a young girl was burned to death and laughed about her rotting in the ground.... perhaps it is due to the hardness or the wooden heart affect, or perhaps they are just cruel.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

You're s proponent of pigeon chess.
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Check and Checkmate !
tagit

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you the property of your employer? In the Bible, a slave is a piece of property to the owner, who can beat them unto death if they so choose. In a like fashion, women are the property of men, and women are to be quiet and submissive to them, and not take any leadership roles, nor teach Christian ideology, but rather must defer to their husbands or male relatives.
My employer thinks so. He doesn't beat me, he's sneakier than that. He just works me to death.

Despite the feminist movement, we are still dividing life up into "boy" things and "girl" things. In our culture male sexism is wedded to power. Oppression is the act of subjugating through the unjust use of force or authority. How do you oppress a group of people who have been conditioned to view themselves as "masters" and who act accordingly? Men are used to running the show and, for the most part, don't reward "female" style anything. With their feet in the twenty first century and their minds in the fourth, they still perceive "female" as weak.

Female beauty is a image created by men. This concocted image of is everything no living woman can ever be: a twelve year old with twenty-five year old breasts, the one who never sweats, never wrinkles, is always ready to be displayed and never gets tired of being judged. The Perma-Pressed female, ever ready to please, always smiling, never aging, always innocent and always AVAILABLE.
Serah

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
***If Thomas is the iconic missionary and Mark a political cornerstone, Mary Magdalene epitomizes the mystical saint, closely associated with grace and divine intercession. Other saints, including Thérèse of Lisieux and Teresa of Ávila, play a similar role among Catholics, but none has exerted a stronger pull on the imagination, or created more controversy, than Mary Magdalene. Once maligned as a reformed courtesan, venerated today by millions worldwide, she was a significant presence in Christ's inner circle.

Although one tradition holds that she died in Ephesus, others maintain that she traveled from the Middle East to southern France. But establishing with scientific certainty that Mary Magdalene came to the hills of Provence, or that Thomas died in India, is likely to remain outside our grasp. Scientific analysis of relics is invariably inadequate, often confirming only that the bones are of the right gender and period. Advances in testing and archaeology, together with the discovery of yet unknown manuscripts, will continue to refine our historical knowledge of the saints. But much will remain inconclusive. How best, then, to understand these individuals if the reach of science is limited? As with most of the earliest Christians, we must rely largely on legend and historical accounts, acknowledging the power these mythic figures still exert today, some 2,000 years after their deaths.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/03/apo... ***

***Serah bat Asher was, in the Tanakh, a daughter of Asher, the son of Jacob. She is counted among the seventy members of the patriarch's family who emigrated from Canaan to Egypt,[1] and her name occurs in connection with the census taken by Moses in the wilderness.[2] She is mentioned also among the descendants of Asher in I Chronicles vii. 30. The fact of her being the only one of her sex to be mentioned in the genealogical lists seemed to the Rabbis to indicate that there was something extraordinary in connection with her history; and she became the heroine of several legends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serah ***

***What do we know about Serah bat Asher? The Etz Hayim commentary indicates: "It is inconceivable that Jacob's 12 sons should have had 53 sons and only one daughter. In light of the general tendency to omit women from the genealogies, there must be some extraordinary reason for her mention here, although no hint is given in the text." Her name appears only one other time in the Torah, Numbers 26:46, in the census taken by Moses in the desert.

Since the same name appears in both these lists, the rabbis assume that she must be same person. But how is it possible for the same person to have gone into Egypt with Jacob and his family and then be counted in the census after the Exodus from Egypt several hundred years later?

http://www.jewishjournal.com/torah_portion/ar... ***

I have a reason that I use the name Serah.... and it is not because I think women do not have a right to spread the word of GOD and JESUS :)

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Some lithographs are expensive as hell, but the original astronomical. But even posters can be called art.

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Starry-Night-c-...

How else could you buy a Van Gogh?
Serah

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Putti is the plural (you said you had four)
Cherubs are something very different- don't feel too dumb, it's a common error.
<quoted text>
This is similar to the the Cherubs I have hanging off of the lightshades...

*** http://www.3dmodelclub.com/cmsj15/models/all-... ***

***Definition of putti | Collins English Dictionary
www.collinsdictionary.com › English Dictionary
noun.(plural)-ti (-t&#618;). a representation of a small boy, a cherub or cupid, esp in baroque painting or sculpture See also amoretto***

Not sure why you would say my lightshades aren't Cherubs, and point me in the direction of a meaning for Cherub, but what the heck, at least I learned a couple of new words...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are referring to Gehenna, as in 'Hell' then yes. Slave, not so much...
Christ wasn't ignorant of what Gehenna meant to the people of His day. The mere fact that Christ utilized the 'Rabbinic' language connected with Gehenna, with words like “unquenchable fire” and “never-dying worms,” shows me beyond all reasonable doubt that Christ deliberately used the word 'Gehenna' to impress upon His people that eternal punishment awaits the wicked after the resurrection. No other conclusion is possible. SL :)
Your questions are welcome. I don't have time to stay on here all day, so I will answer them, as soon as it's convenient.
Have a great day!
I was merely pointing out your screen name is an anagram of "Gehenna slave", and many others, but that is one.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2012/12/07/sy...

I may have posted that before.

Imagery is more universal than words.

Our sun is not nearly so bright in the area of Saturn. The reflected light of Saturn would probably be the most noticeable light in the sky.

Watch the whole thing. Some truths will jump out at you as it progresses.
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
and Theists = churches made a slave of you and yours..LOL
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

tagit wrote:
<quoted text>
My employer thinks so. He doesn't beat me, he's sneakier than that. He just works me to death.
why dont you get another job?

or start your own busines?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/w p/2012/12/07/symbols-of-an-ali en-sky-official-full-movie/
I may have posted that before.
Imagery is more universal than words.
Our sun is not nearly so bright in the area of Saturn. The reflected light of Saturn would probably be the most noticeable light in the sky.
Watch the whole thing. Some truths will jump out at you as it progresses.
That would be incorrect , you underestimate the sun.
You can see clearly how much light come that far by this picture taken by the cassini spacecraft while Saturn was in front of the sun.
It light it up pretty good.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110904.html

If you look at the light side and dark side also , the light is quite strong even there from the sun.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap060912.html

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I was merely pointing out your screen name is an anagram of "Gehenna slave", and many others, but that is one.
It just an Avatar. Hence the words, saying she is now a Christian...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 52 min Mikko 6
Our world came from nothing? 58 min Thinking 370
If Christianity were true... 1 hr CunningLinguist 156
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 2 hr inbred Genius 115
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 2 hr susanblange 293
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 3 hr Thinking 417
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 10 hr I can read 21,464

Search the Atheism Forum:
•••