Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,120)

Showing posts 142,381 - 142,400 of217,105
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know what Graven Image means?
"An idol or fetish carved in wood or stone"
Do you know what an idol is (apart from our super stars of course LOL)
"a. An image used as an object of worship. b. A false god. 2. One that is adored, often blindly or excessively"
I do know what it means within the Hebrew and Greek definition/meaning/intent, and it includes *anything* fashioned in the shape of a plant, creature, being, living thing, or even an imaginary or fantasy character.

Some within the Abrahamic religions even go as far as to include pictures in that classification.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please. Every Christian cherry-picks what parts of the Bible they accept or reject. And when it contradicts itself, which side of the contradiction they prefer.
Ever seen the move,ďThe Good, the Bad and the Ugly?Ē

Thatís title resembles the bible, it tells it like it is and was. It doesnít hid the bad and ugly. I personally accept all of it and donít pick and choose.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you find it interesting that this passage indicates there are other gods besides Yahweh?
Other Gods meaning man-made Gods.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if we destroyed all crosses and statues of this Jesus person in a giant bonfire and laughed as they all melted, that would not cause you ill? Most christians, if you so much as spray paint on it, you're "desicrating" it.
That wouldn't bother me one bit except for those on the graves of our soldiers. Anyone messing with those crosses are going to wake up to stripped sunshine.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL Gods are man-made. yes, including Yahweh.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the cross with a statue on it is an idol.
Perhaps to some it is and others itís not.

I like most statues as art.

The art represents a story.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That wouldn't bother me one bit except for those on the graves of our soldiers. Anyone messing with those crosses are going to wake up to stripped sunshine.
Stripped sunshine? Please explain...
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

They're probably putti, not cherubs.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Of course I do, and I wear a cross around my neck continually, with the face of JESUS etched into it. I have the Last Supper hanging on my wall, and a Nativity Scene set up all year around on the mantle piece above the fireplace. 4 of my lightshades are Cherubs....among many other Spiritually enhanced treasures.
Do I Idolise these things? Do I pray to these things? No, I Pray to GOD!
Serah

Summertown, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Thinking wrote:
The 10 commandments allow child abuse and slavery.
<quoted text>
Which Statute of GOD are you saying allows child abuse and slavery?
Serah

Summertown, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How the hell is putting a price tag on something worshipping that thing?
I buy clothes.... guess I am worshipping them LOL
Serah

Summertown, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
An idol is a a material object that is worshipped as a god.
I don't think Serah worships here necklace...
No, you are right, I don't worship my necklace... but I do hold it often for comfort :)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps to some it is and others itís not.
I like most statues as art.
The art represents a story.
Mass produced images are not art.
Serah

Summertown, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I do know what it means within the Hebrew and Greek definition/meaning/intent, and it includes *anything* fashioned in the shape of a plant, creature, being, living thing, or even an imaginary or fantasy character.
Some within the Abrahamic religions even go as far as to include pictures in that classification.
People pray to graven images..... if I was praying to my lawn, or tree, then not only would I be strange, but I suppose I would have made an idol out of them. Some pray to wooden and graven images, as I am sure you are aware!!
Serah

Summertown, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It would bother me if someone destroyed the white cross that is at the head of my Mum's grave site; it is all that sits there until the estate allows the release of funds for her head stone. Agree with you though ~ we have placed these crosses at our Soldier's graves or places of memories for them for a reason, other than to be burned by some nincompoop who doesn't believe they mean anything!!
Serah

Summertown, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Thinking wrote:
They're probably putti, not cherubs.
<quoted text>
putti?

had to look it up ~ more like putto; a chubby, winged angel. also known as a cherub.

so, sorry to disappoint you by disagreeing with you again, but I have 4 cherub lightshades
Serah

Summertown, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Mass produced images are not art.
No?
Lincoln

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>It would bother me if someone destroyed the white cross that is at the head of my Mum's grave site; it is all that sits there until the estate allows the release of funds for her head stone. Agree with you though ~ we have placed these crosses at our Soldier's graves or places of memories for them for a reason, other than to be burned by some nincompoop who doesn't believe they mean anything!!
Yes!
A good post !

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever seen the move,ďThe Good, the Bad and the Ugly?Ē
Thatís title resembles the bible, it tells it like it is and was. It doesnít hid the bad and ugly. I personally accept all of it and donít pick and choose.
Well, again, I don't see how any one can agree with it in total when it contradicts itself, both in facts and in ethics. If you accepted the entire Bible, you would be living with an inhuman amount of cognitive dissonance. Not to mention some very outdated mores. For example, do you support slavery?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful! Yahweh get's upset when you add to or take away from the Bible! The Bible never calls them man-made in that context.

Also, don't you find the idea that God could be jealous, and by extension insecure, an interesting passage?
Serah

Summertown, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL Gods are man-made. yes, including Yahweh.
Ever wonder why they stopped building pyramids? Obviously it was not because they could not stand the test of time eh?

***The Three Pyramids of Giza

They stand majestically close and yet strategically apart, surrounded by burning heat and raging sand storms for centuries. They withstood the march of time and the passage of ancient Egypt. The Three Pyramids of Giza is the epitome of human endurance,perseverance and resilience. How long will it last? Will mankind outlive the pyramids or will the pyramids outlive mankind. Your guess is as good as mine. Take care.

http://www.pbase.com/image/81133609 ***

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 142,381 - 142,400 of217,105
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••