Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148197 Jan 14, 2013
scaritual wrote:
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:(Exodus 20:4)
Hey! You can red.

But can you comprehend what the words mean?

Can you NOT cherrypick? The very next verse is "Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God..."

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148198 Jan 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Placing a price tag on the artifact is inherently worshiping it.
How the hell is putting a price tag on something worshipping that thing?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148199 Jan 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
All of those are idols.
An idol is a a material object that is worshipped as a god.

I don't think Serah worships here necklace...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#148200 Jan 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How the hell is putting a price tag on something worshipping that thing?
It is placing an artificial value on the object, thus you are worshiping it.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#148201 Jan 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
An idol is a a material object that is worshipped as a god.
I don't think Serah worships here necklace...
Yes, the cross with a statue on it is an idol.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#148202 Jan 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't speak of every Christian and neither can you.
He either ignorantly or deceitfully twisted scripture.
Atheists seem to do that a lot.
You are really unaware of all the internecine wars and bickering that Christians have gotten themselves into over the course of their religion's development and fragmentation?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148203 Jan 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It is placing an artificial value on the object, thus you are worshiping it.
Since when is monetary value artificial?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#148204 Jan 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! You can red.
But can you comprehend what the words mean?
Can you NOT cherrypick? The very next verse is "Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God..."
Don't you find it interesting that this passage indicates there are other gods besides Yahweh?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#148205 Jan 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Yes, the cross with a statue on it is an idol.
No it isn't. Christians don't worship their cross necklaces or paintings depicting Jesus. We worship Jesus.

With your logic, having a picture of your husband in your wallet means you love - and are married to - that picture...

Your logic is flawed.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#148206 Jan 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't. Christians don't worship their cross necklaces or paintings depicting Jesus. We worship Jesus.
With your logic, having a picture of your husband in your wallet means you love - and are married to - that picture...
Your logic is flawed.
So, if we destroyed all crosses and statues of this Jesus person in a giant bonfire and laughed as they all melted, that would not cause you ill? Most christians, if you so much as spray paint on it, you're "desicrating" it.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#148207 Jan 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! You can red.
My can green, dude.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#148208 Jan 14, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know what Graven Image means?
"An idol or fetish carved in wood or stone"
Do you know what an idol is (apart from our super stars of course LOL)
"a. An image used as an object of worship. b. A false god. 2. One that is adored, often blindly or excessively"
I do know what it means within the Hebrew and Greek definition/meaning/intent, and it includes *anything* fashioned in the shape of a plant, creature, being, living thing, or even an imaginary or fantasy character.

Some within the Abrahamic religions even go as far as to include pictures in that classification.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#148209 Jan 14, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please. Every Christian cherry-picks what parts of the Bible they accept or reject. And when it contradicts itself, which side of the contradiction they prefer.
Ever seen the move,ďThe Good, the Bad and the Ugly?Ē

Thatís title resembles the bible, it tells it like it is and was. It doesnít hid the bad and ugly. I personally accept all of it and donít pick and choose.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#148210 Jan 14, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you find it interesting that this passage indicates there are other gods besides Yahweh?
Other Gods meaning man-made Gods.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#148211 Jan 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if we destroyed all crosses and statues of this Jesus person in a giant bonfire and laughed as they all melted, that would not cause you ill? Most christians, if you so much as spray paint on it, you're "desicrating" it.
That wouldn't bother me one bit except for those on the graves of our soldiers. Anyone messing with those crosses are going to wake up to stripped sunshine.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#148212 Jan 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Other Gods meaning man-made Gods.
ALL Gods are man-made. yes, including Yahweh.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#148213 Jan 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the cross with a statue on it is an idol.
Perhaps to some it is and others itís not.

I like most statues as art.

The art represents a story.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#148214 Jan 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That wouldn't bother me one bit except for those on the graves of our soldiers. Anyone messing with those crosses are going to wake up to stripped sunshine.
Stripped sunshine? Please explain...
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#148215 Jan 14, 2013
They're probably putti, not cherubs.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Of course I do, and I wear a cross around my neck continually, with the face of JESUS etched into it. I have the Last Supper hanging on my wall, and a Nativity Scene set up all year around on the mantle piece above the fireplace. 4 of my lightshades are Cherubs....among many other Spiritually enhanced treasures.
Do I Idolise these things? Do I pray to these things? No, I Pray to GOD!
Serah

Australia

#148216 Jan 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The 10 commandments allow child abuse and slavery.
<quoted text>
Which Statute of GOD are you saying allows child abuse and slavery?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 25 min Morse 194
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 28 min Morse 7
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 30 min Morse 2,595
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 37 min Morse 35
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 41 min Morse 161
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 44 min Morse 1,450
Noah's flood real (Oct '12) 45 min Morse 4,523
More from around the web