Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#148152 Jan 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Scrollin, scrollin, scrollin.
From the scrotum, scrotum , scrotum.
I love this game.
:-)
Yup.

There he goes again.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#148153 Jan 14, 2013
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>15Jan13.....
.....You are so correct.
Ps:.....When 'basic instinct' for survival kicks in, ALL others who want your 'stuff' will cut your head off to get it.
Can you Really & Truly imagine sitting down with the Taliban or the Palestinians and having a 'meaningful' discussion about disarmament and getting them interested in accounting jobs for example. Bahhh. Humbug.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
The spam is strong in this one.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#148154 Jan 14, 2013
billybob wrote:
<quoted text>It's obvious you do not understand the bible. It's not a follow this from start to finish and being bound to every word, hell the bible even contradicts itself. What it does is explain a set of covenants made between god and man and gives the history of them. You only need to follow the commandments of the covenant you are in. Also, from reading a few of your other comments, it appears that you do no know the difference between a biblical law and a commandment. You might actually want to look into that a bit.
There are a lot of foolish comments posted here. yours seems to be one repeated a lot. You aint got to believe, but if you are going to bash, at least know the material and context you are bashing someone about.
Your god said that a master could beat a slave to death and not be punished. Make that sound right.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#148155 Jan 14, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I did sit back and reexamine my beliefs. I read the bible and realized that no loving god would be that evil.
I think he meant spiritual or religious (i.e. superstitious) beliefs.

It seems to me that when religionists use the word belief it is not belief in the general sense, as in "I believe this because and to this extent". They seem to mean that one consciously chooses to believe one thing instead of another. Also, religious belief is not a belief limited to the extent it is clearly supported by reason and evidence. It tends to be disproportionate or even absolute 'faith'.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#148156 Jan 14, 2013
In bob nobgobbler's case: "Scrotum, scrotum, scrotum, sore hide!"
River Tam wrote:
Scrollin, scrollin, scrollin.
From the scrotum, scrotum , scrotum.
I love this game.
:-)

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#148157 Jan 14, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I think he meant spiritual or religious (i.e. superstitious) beliefs.
It seems to me that when religionists use the word belief it is not belief in the general sense, as in "I believe this because and to this extent". They seem to mean that one consciously chooses to believe one thing instead of another. Also, religious belief is not a belief limited to the extent it is clearly supported by reason and evidence. It tends to be disproportionate or even absolute 'faith'.
Yes, I was once a christian and had such faith; then one Sunday,I ignored the preacher, continued to read the bible after he stopped. I found those laws of god's that no christian wants to talk about or follow.

Such as, god hates gays, but he is cool with me eating shellfish.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148158 Jan 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Just checking. Does that include my vibrator? Cuz........
If you need to believe your vibrator is a God, then you believe it.... Cuz otherwise.....

#148159 Jan 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, you mean like the time I drank too much? Yeah, still just hallucinations, though I couldn't tell the difference at the time ... that was until I actually saw the video recording of what really happened.
But then, I'm smart enough to actually, well ... pay attention. At least when I'm not drunk.
You are smart enough to pay attention? Sorry dude, but you are painting the wrong picture to be smart enough to have paid much attention, if you get my driftwood!!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#148160 Jan 14, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I was once a christian and had such faith; then one Sunday,I ignored the preacher, continued to read the bible after he stopped. I found those laws of god's that no christian wants to talk about or follow.
Such as, god hates gays, but he is cool with me eating shellfish.
Hmm.

If god hates gays - why does he keep makin''em?

#148161 Jan 14, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, your bible claims at least 613 commandments...
http://www.aish.com/h/sh/se/48945081.html
Cheers Mac, I'm happy following the 10, but we each seek that which makes us happy, if we are living a life to the fullest. And have you ever noticed that if you follow 10 simple rules, you will never upset anyone else? Amazing stuff; IMO

#148162 Jan 14, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
How about thou shalt now have slaves?
Thou shalt not descriminate?
Thou shalt not commit violent crimes?
Thou shalt not rape?
Thou shalt not commit incest?
Thou shalt not force thy beliefs upon others?
Thou shalt not halt progress?
Thou shalt not sexually assault children?
Thou shalt not harm or kill others in the name of thy God?
And the list goes on.
<quoted text>
Read the 10 Commandments again....

#148163 Jan 14, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
One, you do not follow the 10 statutes of god. You do not keep the sabbath holy, as he demanded. You only keep what you think is right.
I keep every day Holy ~ I don't lie, don't steal, don't covet anything my neighbours might own, believe in one GOD, honor my Spiritual Parents, don't have any false idols etc etc etc....

Why should only 1 day a week be Holy?

#148164 Jan 14, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hmm.
Good Question Mac, ever wondered why the numbers are increasing as they are? Were the closets always jam packed and now they are empty or is something happening with their DNA? Damn good question.... didn't think you would have given it much thought though, for some reason.

Oh wait? Are you being sarcastic here?? That makes sense; LOL :)

Since: Mar 11

United States

#148165 Jan 14, 2013
I know them by heart and none of them cover what I just presented. Answer those do you agree of disagree. Thou shalt not commit incest. Uh oh several of your bible heroes would be in trouble on that one! Bible heroes loved them some daughter fcking eh Lot? ;))
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the 10 Commandments again....
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#148166 Jan 14, 2013
And guess where you can stick your god!
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>If you need to believe your vibrator is a God, then you believe it.... Cuz otherwise.....
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#148167 Jan 14, 2013
And Atheists. He's making loads of them, more every year.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hmm.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#148168 Jan 14, 2013
The 10 commandments allow child abuse and slavery.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I keep every day Holy ~ I don't lie, don't steal, don't covet anything my neighbours might own, believe in one GOD, honor my Spiritual Parents, don't have any false idols etc etc etc....
Why should only 1 day a week be Holy?
Lincoln

United States

#148171 Jan 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
as did the Original
Constitution of the US 1789.

Slavery protected !

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#148172 Jan 14, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
as did the Original
Constitution of the US 1789.
Slavery protected !
Isn't it beautiful when things change. We can learn and grow. Religion tries to stop it but it can't... thank god. Pun intended

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#148173 Jan 14, 2013
Not o mention raping 12 year old girls and selling your daughter to the highest bidder. Oh those wacky Hebrews!
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 16 min Chiclets 22,982
Our world came from nothing? 53 min Larry 1,015
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 7 hr Thinking 90
Man center of the universe. 7 hr Thinking 87
Islam for peace, or violence? 22 hr Thinking 26
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Oct 17 Thinking 6
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 16 Mikko 1,401

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE