Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243566 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#148207 Jan 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! You can red.
My can green, dude.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#148208 Jan 14, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know what Graven Image means?
"An idol or fetish carved in wood or stone"
Do you know what an idol is (apart from our super stars of course LOL)
"a. An image used as an object of worship. b. A false god. 2. One that is adored, often blindly or excessively"
I do know what it means within the Hebrew and Greek definition/meaning/intent, and it includes *anything* fashioned in the shape of a plant, creature, being, living thing, or even an imaginary or fantasy character.

Some within the Abrahamic religions even go as far as to include pictures in that classification.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#148209 Jan 14, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please. Every Christian cherry-picks what parts of the Bible they accept or reject. And when it contradicts itself, which side of the contradiction they prefer.
Ever seen the move,“The Good, the Bad and the Ugly?”

That’s title resembles the bible, it tells it like it is and was. It doesn’t hid the bad and ugly. I personally accept all of it and don’t pick and choose.

Southern Illinois

#148210 Jan 14, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you find it interesting that this passage indicates there are other gods besides Yahweh?
Other Gods meaning man-made Gods.

Southern Illinois

#148211 Jan 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if we destroyed all crosses and statues of this Jesus person in a giant bonfire and laughed as they all melted, that would not cause you ill? Most christians, if you so much as spray paint on it, you're "desicrating" it.
That wouldn't bother me one bit except for those on the graves of our soldiers. Anyone messing with those crosses are going to wake up to stripped sunshine.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#148212 Jan 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL Gods are man-made. yes, including Yahweh.

Southern Illinois

#148213 Jan 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the cross with a statue on it is an idol.
Perhaps to some it is and others it’s not.

I like most statues as art.

The art represents a story.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#148214 Jan 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That wouldn't bother me one bit except for those on the graves of our soldiers. Anyone messing with those crosses are going to wake up to stripped sunshine.
Stripped sunshine? Please explain...
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#148215 Jan 14, 2013
They're probably putti, not cherubs.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Of course I do, and I wear a cross around my neck continually, with the face of JESUS etched into it. I have the Last Supper hanging on my wall, and a Nativity Scene set up all year around on the mantle piece above the fireplace. 4 of my lightshades are Cherubs....among many other Spiritually enhanced treasures.
Do I Idolise these things? Do I pray to these things? No, I Pray to GOD!
Serah

Australia

#148216 Jan 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The 10 commandments allow child abuse and slavery.
<quoted text>
Which Statute of GOD are you saying allows child abuse and slavery?
Serah

Australia

#148217 Jan 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How the hell is putting a price tag on something worshipping that thing?
I buy clothes.... guess I am worshipping them LOL
Serah

Australia

#148218 Jan 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
An idol is a a material object that is worshipped as a god.
I don't think Serah worships here necklace...
No, you are right, I don't worship my necklace... but I do hold it often for comfort :)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#148219 Jan 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps to some it is and others it’s not.
I like most statues as art.
The art represents a story.
Mass produced images are not art.
Serah

Australia

#148220 Jan 14, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I do know what it means within the Hebrew and Greek definition/meaning/intent, and it includes *anything* fashioned in the shape of a plant, creature, being, living thing, or even an imaginary or fantasy character.
Some within the Abrahamic religions even go as far as to include pictures in that classification.
People pray to graven images..... if I was praying to my lawn, or tree, then not only would I be strange, but I suppose I would have made an idol out of them. Some pray to wooden and graven images, as I am sure you are aware!!
Serah

Australia

#148221 Jan 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It would bother me if someone destroyed the white cross that is at the head of my Mum's grave site; it is all that sits there until the estate allows the release of funds for her head stone. Agree with you though ~ we have placed these crosses at our Soldier's graves or places of memories for them for a reason, other than to be burned by some nincompoop who doesn't believe they mean anything!!
Serah

Australia

#148222 Jan 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
They're probably putti, not cherubs.
<quoted text>
putti?

had to look it up ~ more like putto; a chubby, winged angel. also known as a cherub.

so, sorry to disappoint you by disagreeing with you again, but I have 4 cherub lightshades
Serah

Australia

#148223 Jan 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Mass produced images are not art.
No?
Lincoln

United States

#148224 Jan 14, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>It would bother me if someone destroyed the white cross that is at the head of my Mum's grave site; it is all that sits there until the estate allows the release of funds for her head stone. Agree with you though ~ we have placed these crosses at our Soldier's graves or places of memories for them for a reason, other than to be burned by some nincompoop who doesn't believe they mean anything!!
Yes!
A good post !

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#148225 Jan 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever seen the move,“The Good, the Bad and the Ugly?”
That’s title resembles the bible, it tells it like it is and was. It doesn’t hid the bad and ugly. I personally accept all of it and don’t pick and choose.
Well, again, I don't see how any one can agree with it in total when it contradicts itself, both in facts and in ethics. If you accepted the entire Bible, you would be living with an inhuman amount of cognitive dissonance. Not to mention some very outdated mores. For example, do you support slavery?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#148226 Jan 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful! Yahweh get's upset when you add to or take away from the Bible! The Bible never calls them man-made in that context.

Also, don't you find the idea that God could be jealous, and by extension insecure, an interesting passage?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 min woodtick57 9,555
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) 9 hr The_Box 522
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 18 hr USaWarringIDIOTSo... 6,224
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Mon TC_Tia 14,656
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Mon MikeF 19,806
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... Jul 4 Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Jul 4 thetruth 38
More from around the web