Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#148114 Jan 13, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
Point taken.. But, I do not quote the Bible that way, nor believe in it verbatim. I think common sense will answer that question...
ps.I hope you wouldn't do any of those things... Again, Have a Godly day...
If the bible is not 100% fact; who decides what is fact and should be followed and what is BS and should not be followed?

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#148115 Jan 13, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
If the bible is not 100% fact; who decides what is fact and should be followed and what is BS and should not be followed?

This is an excellent question. What God says is 100%. What man has translated is not. This calls for "Wisdom' and insight. God said he will gladly give you 'Wisdom' to understand this, if you ask. It is that simple. But... for this to come to pass, you would have to be a believer. I was baptized in the 'Holy Spirit', and spoke in tongues. This is a 'Spiritual Language', that was/is a gift from God. Whether you choose to believe me or not, is your choice. SL :)

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#148116 Jan 13, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an excellent question. What God says is 100%. What man has translated is not. This calls for "Wisdom' and insight. God said he will gladly give you 'Wisdom' to understand this, if you ask. It is that simple. But... for this to come to pass, you would have to be a believer. I was baptized in the 'Holy Spirit', and spoke in tongues. This is a 'Spiritual Language', that was/is a gift from God. Whether you choose to believe me or not, is your choice. SL :)
What you have is what we call an affliction.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#148117 Jan 13, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not. If what you said were true, there would not be so many 'christian' sects. There would not be the jews, the muslims and the christians.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Location hidden

#148118 Jan 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
What you have is what we call an affliction.

What you have is what 'I' call, Satan...(notice I said I(not we) because I can stand alone, and speak for myself)

Do you know what affliction means? It means, condition of pain & suffering. That AM, I do not have. My life is a very good one, if not great... Your very reply shows me that you don't want to hear the 'Truth'. I'm not hear to change your view, nor could I, but God can. What you choose to do with my information, is a choice... God is trying to send you information through me.
I will honestly answer any of your questions that you may have. SL :)

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#148119 Jan 13, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
What you have is what 'I' call, Satan...(notice I said I(not we) because I can stand alone, and speak for myself)
Do you know what affliction means? It means, condition of pain & suffering. That AM, I do not have. My life is a very good one, if not great... Your very reply shows me that you don't want to hear the 'Truth'. I'm not hear to change your view, nor could I, but God can. What you choose to do with my information, is a choice... God is trying to send you information through me.
I will honestly answer any of your questions that you may have. SL :)
SYMPTOMS OF RELIGIOUS ADDICTION
© Paschal Baute 1993

Inability to think, doubt, or question religious information and/or authority
Black-and-white, good/bad, either/or simplistic thinking: one way or the other
Shame-based belief that you aren't good enough or you aren't doing it right
Magical thinking that God will fix you/ do it all, without serious work on your part
Scrupulosity: rigid obsessive adherence to rules, codes of ethics, or guidelines
Uncompromising judgmental attitudes: readiness to find fault or evil out there
Compulsive or obsessive praying, going to church or crusades, quoting scripture
Unrealistic financial contributions
Believing that sex is dirty; believing our bodies or physical pleasures are evil
Compulsive overeating and/or excessive fasting
Conflict and argumentation with science, medicine, and education
Progressive detachment from the real work, isolation and breakdown of relationships
Psychosomatic illness: back pains, sleeplessness, headaches, hypertension
Manipulating scripture or texts, feeling specially chosen, claiming to receive special messages from God
Maintaining a religious "high", trance-like state, keeping a happy face (or the belief that one should...)
Attitude of righteousness or superiority: "we versus the world," including the denial of one's human-ness.
Confusion, great doubts, mental, physical or emotional breakdown, cries for help

The ultimate temptation of the believer is to assume that his or her way to God is the best or only way for others. The particular Way to God becomes what is adored, not the ineffable and incomprehensible Mystery to which we give the name of God.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Location hidden

#148120 Jan 13, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not. If what you said were true, there would not be so many 'christian' sects. There would not be the jews, the muslims and the christians.
I not only respect the fact that you do not, I welcome it.
What I said is true...

What I don't understand is why you can't see the reasoning behind the different secs.(respectfully) We have free choice. You can take one paragraph of any kind, and see it in a different light, or view.

The Jews themselves interpreted the Hebrew Bible in different ways. Christians went beyond that by taking passages out of context to justify their view of Jesus as a suffering divine savior who died for our redemtion.(Which he did) Christians argue that Jews are blind to the meaning of their own writings, while the Jews consider the Christian interpretations of gross distortions.

With the Muslim teachings, there are some similarities between Muslims and Christianity. With that being said, there are some major theological differences, as well. Islam does not believe that God can be divided into a 'Trinity'(God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit) and consider God to be one being. Christians (I) believe in all three.
It all comes down to what I said. First, you must believe in God. Ask God for 'Wisdom and Understanding' for the unknown. He will blatantly open your eyes. It's that simple... People make acknowledgement of this so difficult... when it doesn't have to be.:) SL

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Location hidden

#148121 Jan 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
SYMPTOMS OF RELIGIOUS ADDICTION
© Paschal Baute 1993
Inability to think, doubt, or question religious information and/or authority
Black-and-white, good/bad, either/or simplistic thinking: one way or the other
Shame-based belief that you aren't good enough or you aren't doing it right
Magical thinking that God will fix you/ do it all, without serious work on your part
Scrupulosity: rigid obsessive adherence to rules, codes of ethics, or guidelines
Uncompromising judgmental attitudes: readiness to find fault or evil out there
Compulsive or obsessive praying, going to church or crusades, quoting scripture
Unrealistic financial contributions
Believing that sex is dirty; believing our bodies or physical pleasures are evil
Compulsive overeating and/or excessive fasting
Conflict and argumentation with science, medicine, and education
Progressive detachment from the real work, isolation and breakdown of relationships
Psychosomatic illness: back pains, sleeplessness, headaches, hypertension
Manipulating scripture or texts, feeling specially chosen, claiming to receive special messages from God
Maintaining a religious "high", trance-like state, keeping a happy face (or the belief that one should...)
Attitude of righteousness or superiority: "we versus the world," including the denial of one's human-ness.
Confusion, great doubts, mental, physical or emotional breakdown, cries for help
The ultimate temptation of the believer is to assume that his or her way to God is the best or only way for others. The particular Way to God becomes what is adored, not the ineffable and incomprehensible Mystery to which we give the name of God.
Lol...Wow, so that's what it's like when you are without hope.
You must have Googled this into play..

As for me, I speak from my heart and my own words. I do care about you though, and I will be around if and when, you have a logical comment, or question... Good Luck with your analogies...

I put you on my prayer list, and since you don't believe anyway, it shouldn't be a problem..

Hope you had a wonderful weekend.:) God's Mighty Warrior Princess!

Going to sleep.. Gn*
jove2013

Acton, MA

#148122 Jan 13, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Why bother trying to figure the bible out, you can get more morality out of a couple of episodes of Star Trek
Serah

Australia

#148123 Jan 13, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Follow the simple 10 Statutes of GOD and you can't go wrong.... a lot easier than trying to sort through the millions of man made laws we have to contend with :)
Serah

Australia

#148124 Jan 13, 2013
The Ten Commandments

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.(Other "gods" can include possessions, power or prominence.)

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Honour thy father and thy mother.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

Covers pretty well everything as far as the do's and dont's go!!
Serah

Australia

#148125 Jan 13, 2013
jove2013 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why bother trying to figure the bible out, you can get more morality out of a couple of episodes of Star Trek
Which couple of episodes do you recommend?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#148126 Jan 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
The Ten Commandments
Thou shalt have no other gods before me.(Other "gods" can include possessions, power or prominence.)
Just checking. Does that include my vibrator? Cuz........

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#148127 Jan 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah ~ knew someone would find that information, not hard to find is it? Wait until you experience your own Out of Body Experience, and then tell us about lack of oxygen! Oh, but wait, what realm will you be residing in? Like the Water Bug and the Dragon Fly, will you be able to get back to humans and pass on your message of a new life? A Dragon Fly, although drawn to water, can nor ever will penetrate the water and return to where it came from? How will it pass on a message of a new life? And how will you?
Oh, you mean like the time I drank too much? Yeah, still just hallucinations, though I couldn't tell the difference at the time ... that was until I actually saw the video recording of what really happened.

But then, I'm smart enough to actually, well ... pay attention. At least when I'm not drunk.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#148128 Jan 13, 2013
Did I claim to be promoting myself as a role model? How about you seek professional help and be a human with her brain chemicals balanced?

Effing fruitcake! Hey you should look up non religious NDEs! They are a hoot!
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Are you promoting yourself as a Role Model? Ever thought about seeking professional help and becoming human, with a heart?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#148129 Jan 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Follow the simple 10 Statutes of GOD and you can't go wrong.... a lot easier than trying to sort through the millions of man made laws we have to contend with :)
Actually, your bible claims at least 613 commandments...

http://www.aish.com/h/sh/se/48945081.html

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#148131 Jan 13, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
I not only respect the fact that you do not, I welcome it.
What I said is true...
What I don't understand is why you can't see the reasoning behind the different secs.(respectfully) We have free choice. You can take one paragraph of any kind, and see it in a different light, or view.
It has to be one or the other. Does the holy spirit guide you to the proper understanding or not?

If a mormon and a catholic really want to give their life to god, why doesn't the holy spirit give them the correct understanding of what god wants?
Snevaeh legna wrote:
The Jews themselves interpreted the Hebrew Bible in different ways. Christians went beyond that by taking passages out of context to justify their view of Jesus as a suffering divine savior who died for our redemtion.(Which he did)
No, you have faith, belief without evidence, that he did. Nothing more.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
Christians argue that Jews are blind to the meaning of their own writings, while the Jews consider the Christian interpretations of gross distortions.
With the Muslim teachings, there are some similarities between Muslims and Christianity. With that being said, there are some major theological differences, as well. Islam does not believe that God can be divided into a 'Trinity'(God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit) and consider God to be one being. Christians (I) believe in all three.
Of course you believe that. It is called, "Indoctrination". Neither the jews nor the muslims believe that god is three in one.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
It all comes down to what I said. First, you must believe in God. Ask God for 'Wisdom and Understanding' for the unknown. He will blatantly open your eyes.
Obviously, it is not that simple. People have been killing and dying for the same god. Either the holy spirit is not teaching or giving proper understanding to all believers. It is stupid to believe that a person, who is willing to die for his god, has not ask for wisdom and understanding.

Either they are not getting it or you are not getting it. Since your bible clearly states that you must kill non-believers, I would say the evidence stands against you not getting it.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
It's that simple... People make acknowledgement of this so difficult... when it doesn't have to be.:) SL
You need to sit back and reexamine your beliefs and why you have them. Well, you don't really need to, you can stay in your blissful ignorance.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#148132 Jan 13, 2013
jove2013 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree! The old Twilight Zone was another great source!

Since: Mar 11

United States

#148133 Jan 13, 2013
How about thou shalt now have slaves?
Thou shalt not descriminate?
Thou shalt not commit violent crimes?
Thou shalt not rape?
Thou shalt not commit incest?
Thou shalt not force thy beliefs upon others?
Thou shalt not halt progress?
Thou shalt not sexually assault children?
Thou shalt not harm or kill others in the name of thy God?

And the list goes on.
Serah wrote:
The Ten Commandments
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honour thy father and thy mother.
Thou shalt not kill.
Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.
Covers pretty well everything as far as the do's and dont's go!!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#148134 Jan 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Follow the simple 10 Statutes of GOD and you can't go wrong.... a lot easier than trying to sort through the millions of man made laws we have to contend with :)
One, you do not follow the 10 statutes of god. You do not keep the sabbath holy, as he demanded. You only keep what you think is right.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 10 min Friend of all 14,455
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 49 min Gillette 1,040
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 4 hr thetruth 29
Young atheists: The political leaders of tomorrow 4 hr thetruth 6
Why Christians should stick up for atheists 4 hr thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 15 hr QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 21 hr Richardfs 1,423

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE