Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,111)

Showing posts 142,201 - 142,220 of223,269
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
But when you pull out this strange hodge podge of articles and then show tht you really do not understand what they are saying you indeed come off as very ignorant. I realize that the mental illness you suffer from stops you from seeing that. This is why you should go back to the looney bin and get on some proper medications so you can see when you are braying like a jackass and stop the braying before it gets out of hand.
You're welcome
<quoted text>
Why don't you think the people who wrote the articles need help mentally?

Ahhh; don't bother answering, you laugh at children being burned to death, and that tells me a great deal about your empathy!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

*** http://www.godvine.com/Man-Visits-Heaven-Afte...

Man Visits Heaven After a Routine Surgery Goes Terribly Wrong

When Dean was on the operating table for a routine kidney stone removal, something shocking happened. Several of his organs failed and he crossed over into the afterlife - and he saw heaven. You have to hear this amazing story.***

If I posted this twice, apologies, but thought it pretty convenient seeing as that was what we were writing about (or at least what I was writing about LOL)... in case you are confused, a Near Death Experience, commonly known as an NDE !!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Those of us who have never spent time in a psychiatric hospitals don't require said documents. Wierd isn't it?
Take your medications my psychotic fruitcake.
<quoted text>
I am not embarrassed to say I found it hard to live with murder and torture of a young teenage boy and found it hard to eat, so lost enough weight to be considered anorexic.

I am not embarrassed to say that I spent so much time trying to research how people can murder and torture others, without comprehending their pain, that I didn't have time to eat!

I am proud to say, however, that they told me I care too much, and should be a Nurse, but should also take their drugs to stop caring. Yep, I refused their drugs,'cause I don't want a hard heart.

I want a heart that will never laugh at the death (and a burning death at that) of a 2 and a half year old girl. What medication do you take that lets you laugh???

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Serah wrote:
*** http://www.godvine.com/Man-Visits-Heaven-Afte...
Man Visits Heaven After a Routine Surgery Goes Terribly Wrong
When Dean was on the operating table for a routine kidney stone removal, something shocking happened. Several of his organs failed and he crossed over into the afterlife - and he saw heaven. You have to hear this amazing story.***
If I posted this twice, apologies, but thought it pretty convenient seeing as that was what we were writing about (or at least what I was writing about LOL)... in case you are confused, a Near Death Experience, commonly known as an NDE !!
More commonly known as hallucination brought on by lack of oxygen to the brain. Very easily explained and very well understood. Nothing magical about it.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

The writers of the articles, well the same non looney NDE articles anyways, are probably ok. It's the strange way you put them together and misunderstand what they say is the cardinal sign of your mental illness. Just as you were in complete misunderstanding of what I said as shown by the bizarre way you responded to it.

The medications they give you are to stabilize the misfiring in your rain due to a chemical imbalance. Maybe they take away from your manic euphoria and stop the voices in your head which you dislike. They are not hardening your heart but allowing you to think clearly.

Seriously get the professional help you so desperately need, your life will be better for it.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh; don't bother answering, you laugh at children being burned to death, and that tells me a great deal about your empathy!!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be embarrassed for lying about god, but that never enters your thick creationist domes ever....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be embarrassed for lying about god, but that never enters your thick creationist domes ever....
What lies have I told about GOD?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
The writers of the articles, well the same non looney NDE articles anyways, are probably ok. It's the strange way you put them together and misunderstand what they say is the cardinal sign of your mental illness. Just as you were in complete misunderstanding of what I said as shown by the bizarre way you responded to it.
The medications they give you are to stabilize the misfiring in your rain due to a chemical imbalance. Maybe they take away from your manic euphoria and stop the voices in your head which you dislike. They are not hardening your heart but allowing you to think clearly.
Seriously get the professional help you so desperately need, your life will be better for it.
<quoted text>
Are you promoting yourself as a Role Model? Ever thought about seeking professional help and becoming human, with a heart?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
More commonly known as hallucination brought on by lack of oxygen to the brain. Very easily explained and very well understood. Nothing magical about it.
Yeah ~ knew someone would find that information, not hard to find is it? Wait until you experience your own Out of Body Experience, and then tell us about lack of oxygen! Oh, but wait, what realm will you be residing in? Like the Water Bug and the Dragon Fly, will you be able to get back to humans and pass on your message of a new life? A Dragon Fly, although drawn to water, can nor ever will penetrate the water and return to where it came from? How will it pass on a message of a new life? And how will you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>What lies have I told about GOD?
You think god is real, when you have no proof that he's real - that makes you liar, lying about god.

Think about it, if god was real, you wouldn't need to believe in him, it would just be a fact - like evolution for example...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah ~ knew someone would find that information, not hard to find is it? Wait until you experience your own Out of Body Experience, and then tell us about lack of oxygen! Oh, but wait, what realm will you be residing in? Like the Water Bug and the Dragon Fly, will you be able to get back to humans and pass on your message of a new life? A Dragon Fly, although drawn to water, can nor ever will penetrate the water and return to where it came from? How will it pass on a message of a new life? And how will you?
Creationism is a mental illness, your cult is harming you and its why you behave this way.
Lincoln

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Logical explanation.
Plato's "Allegory of the Cave" worth reading on logical explanations of perception. Then Einstein

Is anything "very easily explained" in this universe.
Lincoln

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You think God is real, when you have no proof that he's real - that makes you liar, lying about God.
Think about it, if God was real, you wouldn't need to believe in him, it would just be a fact - like evolution for example...
Makes him a believer rather than a liar.
Does it comfort you to call him a Liar?

-
"if God was real, you wouldn't need to believe in him" Not your best example of logic?:-)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Logical explanation.
Plato's "Allegory of the Cave" worth reading on logical explanations of perception. Then Einstein
Is anything "very easily explained" in this universe.
Philosophical mumbo jumbo that has no bearing on the fact that there's no such thing as god.
Lincoln

Rutherfordton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Philosophical mumbo jumbo that has no bearing on the fact that there's no such thing as God.
"....there's no such thing as God"
-
The Atheism Forum
you wish to be?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Cheers ~ didn't really mean to put myself at the centre of it, just wanted to prove I am not ignorant on certain topics :)
Thanks for the pointer; now perhaps, you would like to write why you believe in atheism and give us a few links, of varying content, so I might get an understanding of why you believe what you believe! But then again, no need to prove to me anything, we each find that which we seek, and I am not seeking to be an atheist LOL
I don't "believe in atheism." For me, atheism is the result of applying my natural skepticism to the various ideas to which I've been exposed over a lifetime. Some hold up to scrutiny, others do not. Those that don't include most if not all conspiracy theories, most "New Age" ideas about medicine, and the notion that supernatural forces or agencies control the physical universe or the destinies of intelligent beings, or that such entities exist at all. Atheism isn't a belief system for me, just the rejection of a specific set of commonly held beliefs that fail to hold up to intense scrutiny.

There are no links because I came to atheism independently--it was, in fact, part of a process of reestablishing my intellectual independence after a long period of conformity. In the process, I did augment my grasp of formal logic, which was a big help in recognizing ideas that stand on shaky ground or have no real foundation at all.

Having settled most religious questions to my own satisfaction, I am now more interested in discussing a wider range of ideas with fellow atheists than in contending with the believers who insists on turning every discussion into debates on religion vs atheism. But every once in a while, one who seems to be ernest and honest attracts my attention. I have no interest in changing what you believe, but I would like to see you become more intellectually rigorous. The brand of mild paranoia, for instance, that lies at the heart of every conspiracy theory I've encountered (including some that I once believed in) is heavily present in your posts about the "evils" of modern medicine and food production. At the heart of that paranoia, along with fear, is a desire to be among a better informed elite. These emotional quirks are quite common even among folks who are rigorously skeptical in most ways, but they interfere with the clarity of vision that most skeptics seek.

Why this emphasis on skepticism, you may wonder? Rational skepticism, along with solid logic and an ability to research topics of interest, is the quality that keeps us from falling for every new and exciting idea that comes along without looking to see whether it has any merit. At the same time, we should beware of irrational skepticism, which is rejecting ideas out of hand without looking to see whether they have merit. When encountering a new idea or taking a new look at an old one, the rational skeptic's initial reaction is usually, "That's interesting. I wonder if it's true." It is rarely, if ever, "Okay, that makes sense. I can believe that." Rational skeptics learn to reserve judgment until enough is known to form a reasonable and defensible opinion.

I hope that you will learn to do that as well.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
GML's criticisms weren't of the articles themselves but of your deficient and distorted understanding of them. We've seen this enough times before to recognize the syndrome. It often comes from a need to support assertions that were formed as beliefs as opposed to being concluded from rational and skeptical investigation. To avoid the useless back-and-forth quibbling that inevitably results, I was not going to point out that many of the articles you cited do not support your point of view, but if GML is less than gentle in pointing out that basic incompatibility, he is nonetheless correct.
tagit

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Hallucinations due to a lack of oxygen to the brain would also explain why atheists believe that the universe happened by chance and dead matter gives rise to life. HA! HA!

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Imagination overboard LOL!! Still can't explain how a chicken became a chicken or a rooster became a rooster and that the chicken can produce eggs, but the rooster can't!! But they have proved that the chicken came before the egg! And why some birds fly but others can't! Evolution is supposed to be the ability to adapt to survive the dangers presented to each species, and yet the Lion has not overcome man(kind) and nor has the Elephant, all of which also evolved from the same 'original' life form as per that posting. And they think I am silly!!!
LMAO!

And what's the deal with whales?

I guess some of the fishies decided to grow some legs and skin and lungs and walk on land, but then some of them decided "man, it's better in the water", so they went back into the water but they kept their lungs but lost our legs.

Strange...

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true Scotsman fallacy again? Don't you get tired of being told that it's a fallacy?
Don't you get tired of calling everything a fallacy?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 142,201 - 142,220 of223,269
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••