Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#148028 Jan 12, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>That's my point ~ how often and how regularly things change..... and whether or not you think it is legitimate, you are probably partaking in their killer chemicals.
And with all due respect to you too, at least you had the sense to realise I was posting stuff written by scientists, where as some of the posters in here thought it was my own stuff.
Actually, much of what you posted was written by journalists, some of whom also have trouble telling the difference between solid research and premature conjecture. More to the point, your scattergun approach to selecting your articles just to prove that you are serious had the opposite effect for me. The writers I respect cite articles sparsely to support points they are trying to make. They stay focused on the matters under discussion. They certainly don't spam a plethora of articles just to prop up a faltering ego.

You don't have to, either. You could relax enough to enjoy the conversation rather than trying to put yourself at the center of it. Trust me, that's not really a comfortable place anyway.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#148029 Jan 12, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, much of what you posted was written by journalists, some of whom also have trouble telling the difference between solid research and premature conjecture. More to the point, your scattergun approach to selecting your articles just to prove that you are serious had the opposite effect for me. The writers I respect cite articles sparsely to support points they are trying to make. They stay focused on the matters under discussion. They certainly don't spam a plethora of articles just to prop up a faltering ego.
You don't have to, either. You could relax enough to enjoy the conversation rather than trying to put yourself at the center of it. Trust me, that's not really a comfortable place anyway.
Access to the periphery provides comfort.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148030 Jan 12, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, much of what you posted was written by journalists, some of whom also have trouble telling the difference between solid research and premature conjecture. More to the point, your scattergun approach to selecting your articles just to prove that you are serious had the opposite effect for me. The writers I respect cite articles sparsely to support points they are trying to make. They stay focused on the matters under discussion. They certainly don't spam a plethora of articles just to prop up a faltering ego.
You don't have to, either. You could relax enough to enjoy the conversation rather than trying to put yourself at the center of it. Trust me, that's not really a comfortable place anyway.
Cheers ~ didn't really mean to put myself at the centre of it, just wanted to prove I am not ignorant on certain topics :)

Thanks for the pointer; now perhaps, you would like to write why you believe in atheism and give us a few links, of varying content, so I might get an understanding of why you believe what you believe! But then again, no need to prove to me anything, we each find that which we seek, and I am not seeking to be an atheist LOL

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148031 Jan 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Access to the periphery provides comfort.
Like seeing outside of the square!!

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#148032 Jan 12, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Like seeing outside of the square!!
Sometimes they say, thinking outside the box.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#148033 Jan 12, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but if not, it was my pleasure. As mentioned, I am a Tarot Reader, and when I was reading in Fairs was very popular. I love the cryptic language, or cryptic messages of the Universe, and also love help people find their inner selves, and learn how to love that which is inherent within. It is the inside that counts :)
I'm pretty sure jesus would not be very happy with that.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#148034 Jan 12, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever had goosebumps when you are not cold? Do you comprehend what John Edwards means when he says he gets a buzzing at the base of his neck in the interview on that link?
***Are you able to turn off your psychic ability when you want to? Is it like turning off your cell phone to get some peace and quiet, like when you're having dinner?
Yes, I have to be able to turn it off. But sometimes an energy tries to get through to me when I'm "off duty." I feel a buzzing at the base of my neck. It's like I'm on eternal "vibrate" in case of an emergency.
http://www.beliefnet.com/Wellness/2003/11/Joh... ***
Gut Instinct;
Definitions
noun
an instinctive feeling, as opposed to an opinion or idea based on facts.....
Do you have any instinct or are you just all about facts?
At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challe...

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148035 Jan 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes they say, thinking outside the box.
Yes; I was almost going to change it to the box, but left it as the square!! I would like to say it is a pleasure getting to know you, Catcher1, as time goes by :)

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148036 Jan 12, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm pretty sure jesus would not be very happy with that.
Why? Not that you believe in Him, but why would Jesus get upset when I read Tarot cards and not get upset when people laugh at little girls getting burned to death?

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148037 Jan 12, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challe...
Are you suggesting I offer myself up for their tests? There is more to spiritual than money and really, nothing to prove other than what you are looking for! I certainly don't mind being questioned; when one tells the truth, there is no need to fear the questions ~ it is only when one lies that doubt sets in :)

Since: Mar 11

United States

#148040 Jan 12, 2013
Those of us who have never spent time in a psychiatric hospitals don't require said documents. Wierd isn't it?

Take your medications my psychotic fruitcake.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>wrong ~ I am certified sane! bet you don't have your sanity papers LOL

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148041 Jan 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Those of us who have never spent time in a psychiatric hospitals don't require said documents. Wierd isn't it?
Take your medications my psychotic fruitcake.
<quoted text>
And be hard hearted like you? I'd rather be what you call a psychotic fruitcake LOL, and have GOD in my heart and a new life in my Soul :)

Since: Mar 11

United States

#148042 Jan 12, 2013
But when you pull out this strange hodge podge of articles and then show tht you really do not understand what they are saying you indeed come off as very ignorant. I realize that the mental illness you suffer from stops you from seeing that. This is why you should go back to the looney bin and get on some proper medications so you can see when you are braying like a jackass and stop the braying before it gets out of hand.

You're welcome
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Cheers ~ didn't really mean to put myself at the centre of it, just wanted to prove I am not ignorant on certain topics :)
Thanks for the pointer; now perhaps, you would like to write why you believe in atheism and give us a few links, of varying content, so I might get an understanding of why you believe what you believe! But then again, no need to prove to me anything, we each find that which we seek, and I am not seeking to be an atheist LOL

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148043 Jan 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
But when you pull out this strange hodge podge of articles and then show tht you really do not understand what they are saying you indeed come off as very ignorant. I realize that the mental illness you suffer from stops you from seeing that. This is why you should go back to the looney bin and get on some proper medications so you can see when you are braying like a jackass and stop the braying before it gets out of hand.
You're welcome
<quoted text>
Why don't you think the people who wrote the articles need help mentally?

Ahhh; don't bother answering, you laugh at children being burned to death, and that tells me a great deal about your empathy!!

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148044 Jan 12, 2013
*** http://www.godvine.com/Man-Visits-Heaven-Afte...

Man Visits Heaven After a Routine Surgery Goes Terribly Wrong

When Dean was on the operating table for a routine kidney stone removal, something shocking happened. Several of his organs failed and he crossed over into the afterlife - and he saw heaven. You have to hear this amazing story.***

If I posted this twice, apologies, but thought it pretty convenient seeing as that was what we were writing about (or at least what I was writing about LOL)... in case you are confused, a Near Death Experience, commonly known as an NDE !!

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148045 Jan 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Those of us who have never spent time in a psychiatric hospitals don't require said documents. Wierd isn't it?
Take your medications my psychotic fruitcake.
<quoted text>
I am not embarrassed to say I found it hard to live with murder and torture of a young teenage boy and found it hard to eat, so lost enough weight to be considered anorexic.

I am not embarrassed to say that I spent so much time trying to research how people can murder and torture others, without comprehending their pain, that I didn't have time to eat!

I am proud to say, however, that they told me I care too much, and should be a Nurse, but should also take their drugs to stop caring. Yep, I refused their drugs,'cause I don't want a hard heart.

I want a heart that will never laugh at the death (and a burning death at that) of a 2 and a half year old girl. What medication do you take that lets you laugh???

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#148046 Jan 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
*** http://www.godvine.com/Man-Visits-Heaven-Afte...
Man Visits Heaven After a Routine Surgery Goes Terribly Wrong
When Dean was on the operating table for a routine kidney stone removal, something shocking happened. Several of his organs failed and he crossed over into the afterlife - and he saw heaven. You have to hear this amazing story.***
If I posted this twice, apologies, but thought it pretty convenient seeing as that was what we were writing about (or at least what I was writing about LOL)... in case you are confused, a Near Death Experience, commonly known as an NDE !!
More commonly known as hallucination brought on by lack of oxygen to the brain. Very easily explained and very well understood. Nothing magical about it.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#148047 Jan 13, 2013
The writers of the articles, well the same non looney NDE articles anyways, are probably ok. It's the strange way you put them together and misunderstand what they say is the cardinal sign of your mental illness. Just as you were in complete misunderstanding of what I said as shown by the bizarre way you responded to it.

The medications they give you are to stabilize the misfiring in your rain due to a chemical imbalance. Maybe they take away from your manic euphoria and stop the voices in your head which you dislike. They are not hardening your heart but allowing you to think clearly.

Seriously get the professional help you so desperately need, your life will be better for it.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you think the people who wrote the articles need help mentally?
Ahhh; don't bother answering, you laugh at children being burned to death, and that tells me a great deal about your empathy!!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#148048 Jan 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you think the people who wrote the articles need help mentally?
Ahhh; don't bother answering, you laugh at children being burned to death, and that tells me a great deal about your empathy!!
You should be embarrassed for lying about god, but that never enters your thick creationist domes ever....

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#148049 Jan 13, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be embarrassed for lying about god, but that never enters your thick creationist domes ever....
What lies have I told about GOD?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr woodtick57 2,288
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 4 hr Mikko 2
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 4 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 5 hr Thinking 3
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 12 hr _Bad Company 143
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) Sat polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Sat Yiago 148
More from around the web