Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
141,981 - 142,000 of 224,702 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't post no Carl Sagan gibberish. That dude is out of his mind. And you people worship him like the pope.
What about fairies, gnomes & dragons? Because you can't test for them you seem them unreal?
Not very scientific...
1. You shouldn't worship the pope, especially Darth Sidius.
2. There is nothing wrong with Sagan other than his hair cut.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>That is interesting but, does that mean that atheist only use half of their brain? One whole study?
Once again another creationist potshot from the supposed agnostic atheist.

You're full of sh*t and so iS your cult you dishonest piece of sh*t.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again another creationist potshot from the supposed agnostic atheist.
You're full of sh*t and so iS your cult you dishonest piece of sh*t.
More proof that you don't get it.. Thanks for participating.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

I don't find miscarriage funny, so why are you laughing?
You are a twisted retard with no values.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

What is your belief system? Mine is defacto Atheist.
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>More proof that you don't get it.. Thanks for participating.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Thinking wrote:
What is your belief system? Mine is defacto Atheist.
<quoted text>
Ignostic

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KJV wrote:
You also admitted that the majority of humans have god delusions. So your source is ... what? Pointless is correct answer. Other imaginary beings are called gods, god is a "type" of thing, therefore your god is no exception. You don't get free passes anymore.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>1. You shouldn't worship the pope, especially Darth Sidius.
2. There is nothing wrong with Sagan other than his hair cut.
That hair is .... off. lol

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>irony meter

A mythical device often mentioned on Internet discussion fora, the irony meter is a device for measuring unintentional irony. It is best known for breaking or exploding when the irony becomes too strong.

You need to do better. These things are junk. Like a flash bulb used once and done. And there is no recording method to record peak irony.
Or the irony is just too great.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You also admitted that the majority of humans have god delusions. So your source is ... what? Pointless is correct answer. Other imaginary beings are called gods, god is a "type" of thing, therefore your god is no exception. You don't get free passes anymore.
Nicely put. Its a human weakness to see problems with others false religions/gods, without realising the same applies to myths held so passionately by people in our own community.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignostic
Few people understand that this isn't just a typo.

I often go with theological noncognitivist. At least they have to look that one up!

Few atheists actually argue from this perspective, which I find strange. Polymath is the only other poster who I've seen who will consistently argue lack of definition / properties for deities.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
Few people understand that this isn't just a typo.
I often go with theological noncognitivist. At least they have to look that one up!
Few atheists actually argue from this perspective, which I find strange. Polymath is the only other poster who I've seen who will consistently argue lack of definition / properties for deities.
I sometimes argue that every believer believes in their own distinct god. That can lead to a discussion on the relevancy of definitions. Usually, the definition of the god does not actually matter to any believer. If it did, they would have to justify their own personal definition somehow. Credibility goes out the window.

It is just insanely difficult to get a theist to keep up in that kind of discussion.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it that atheist can't seem to dream up a stronger irony meter?
They always are busting or falling a part. Kind of a weak imagination.
Oh, it's an ongoing process of development. The advancements are slow and incremental. For most forums, the ones we have now do quite well, but when fundamentalist Christians are around, they tend to blow fuses because the irony level is just so high.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Cheers.
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignostic

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignostic
Apatheist.

Any other good variants?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Agreed and while it is some fun mental bubble gum so to speak we do have the concept and notion of what they claim is God. They may not have his shoe size and blood type but they do have the concept and we are all honestly well aware of said concept. While it is fun to make them run in place trying to come up with clearer and more defined properties of God it becomes almost cruel after a while like making a fat boy run laps while the cheerleaders look on.( oh the days of being my basketball coach/gym teacher's student assistant during free period, guess what we're doing today gang? Nope not dodgeball! It's running laps day!)

:wicked smile:
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I sometimes argue that every believer believes in their own distinct god. That can lead to a discussion on the relevancy of definitions. Usually, the definition of the god does not actually matter to any believer. If it did, they would have to justify their own personal definition somehow. Credibility goes out the window.
It is just insanely difficult to get a theist to keep up in that kind of discussion.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Agreed and while it is some fun mental bubble gum so to speak we do have the concept and notion of what they claim is God. They may not have his shoe size and blood type but they do have the concept and we are all honestly well aware of said concept. While it is fun to make them run in place trying to come up with clearer and more defined properties of God it becomes almost cruel after a while like making a fat boy run laps while the cheerleaders look on.( oh the days of being my basketball coach/gym teacher's student assistant during free period, guess what we're doing today gang? Nope not dodgeball! It's running laps day!)
:wicked smile:
<quoted text>
Some Christians believe in a God that created a Hell for unbelievers to suffer for eternity, while other Christians believe in a God that did not create a Hell. These are not the same god, yet each type of Christian get their beliefs from the Bible. There are so many ways of interpreting the Bible, that there is no Christian definition for God. There are only similarities between all the different definitions. The similarities often apply to gods with other names from other religions.

When I tell you to think about cars, you probably visualize cars that you've actually seen before. If you've never seen a car, and only had a description, visualizing a car relies a lot on interpretation and imagination. If I gave a description of a car to a thousand people who have never seen one, the interpretations and visualization in all those people would be different. If I contradicted myself in describing the car, used metaphor without letting you know, translated the description several times, let Ford and Chevy fight out what was truly Carlike, and made claims about the car that seemed impossible, what would you expect?

Now I never said that cars had leather seats, but I didn't say they didn't have leather seats. If you like leather jackets, you might suppose the Car has leather seats, because you like leather.

A lot of theists rely heavily on the appeal to popularity. When you separate one from the herd, they don't like that. The question of which god to believe in becomes more interesting when it's demonstrated that a different interpretation of a god in one religion is just as different from other interpretations as they are from gods of different origins. The difference between a God that didn't create a Hell and one that did is so vast that it is disingenuous to call them by the same name.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I was golfing one time with a buddy. We were on a pretty easy par 3. I hit first, then him. I made it down to the green to my ball. My buddy was still walking around. I noticed he kept scratching his nuts. I asked him, "What's up with your ball?"
"I think I got a hole in one."
Ouch!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
Forturnaltely, both the Big bang and evolution have been tested in many different ways and have passed the tests.
Really? Which parts? The part of the Big Bang that it actually happened? Or the part of evolution that says all life originated naturally?

Which parts have been proven?

To my knowledge, nothing has evolved that we have seen & tested.
Why? Why not work to change that sad state of affairs? Why 'accept' ignorance and superstition?
Strange attitude. You accept that a scientific outlook is different between a person from Japan & a person from America. Why can't you accept that people put religion first sometimes?

You have no evidence whatsoever that a religious person is either ignorant or superstitious.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please learn the difference between astrology and astronomy. Sagan was an astronomer, not an astrologer.
Oops. I know, I typed an L instead of a N...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••