Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,091)

Showing posts 141,801 - 141,820 of223,005
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can persuade me.
Produce your god.
Iíve been watching episodes of ďGold Rush.Ē By all accounts gold mining doesnít come easy. Itís hard work and a lot of stubbornness to keep going despite multiple failures. On the show there have been lots of setbacks and disappointments. Determination drives the teams to get results.

My Dear Catcher, you want to see the gold but you donít want to dig for it. You want proof of God yet you donít want to bend your knee and humble yourself to meet him in prayer. I would love for you to find him. But it takes effort and determination on your part.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
The Emperor's New Clothes, ploy? Again?
You do a really good job covering the issue of gun control. Perhaps you should stick with it and let go of this other. At least with gun control you bring in valid points to the argument. With Atheism you just donít have much to say other than a few off the shelf remarks.

Iím not trying to insult you here. Iím just pointing out your much stronger in one area than the other. I was raised up with guns. But I have gotten rid of all my guns except one.

My Son in Houston has been the opposite of myself. He is a gun loving fool. He is also a sportsman that loves to hunt and fish. Shooting is a serious hobby with some folks.

In my younger days for stress relief I would take my 357 to a indoor shooting range. Thereís nothing like shooting a 357 indoors. The dust at the top of the ceiling would let go and fall. You could feel the energy hit you in the face when the hammer came down.

Hopefully our country can come to grips with some reasonable gun control that keeps guns out of the hands of the crazies.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Quoting your own quote doesn't make it more valid. Gun crime in the US is miles above any other country, the solution is the remove guns.
Its a pity the spoilt toddler that is the the US, won't let mommy reason take the toy away after they killed someone with it.
Perhaps the problem is that basic moral education was substituted with religious cr*p and that's what makes you folk so f*cking stupid when it comes to guns.
We do indeed have gun violence but nothing like what is happening in Syria. If there ever was a country that needed the NRA itís Syria.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
And if the religulous would stop pushing their religion on children BEFORE they have reached an age where they can reason for themselves, that number would more than likely be a whole lot different.
All you've shown is how effective religious brainwashing is when they have immature minds to work with.
BET had series last month called ďRoots.Ē I have never seen that series in itís entirety until recently. One man, a African Slave was able to preserve his heritage by passing on information to his children.

How extraordinary that history was and it touched the entire world. People and cultures should have the right to preserve their culture. Even if it is a culture that you donít adhere too. Religion is a very big part of human culture.

Iím actively preserving my religious heritage with my grandchildren. I hope and pray they do the same when they have grandchildren. We have ďRoots,Ē and those roots need to be preserved.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

A starving man will go look for food.

A lazy man will ask you to go look for food and bring it too him.

Thereís no lack of evidence in proving thereís a God.

Thereís a lack of effort.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
Excuses. The starving man is actually missing something. We are not, we are just not buying what you're selling without you providing evidence to support it.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
BET had series last month called ďRoots.Ē
.. this is not a sentence ..

.. pitch hitting for CATCHER. He's addressing a convention of esteemed lawyers this afternoon ..

.. as his sock, I'm filling in ..
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, mean like the drug war.. or is it the war on terrorism.. or is it the war on childhood obesity?
I said:

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that kind of like when you're looking for something and it's always in the last place you looked? After all why keep looking once you found it. If guns we outlawed then yes anyone with a gun would be breaking the law even if the owner never planed on using it for any other criminal intent.

You said:
Oh, mean like the drug war.. or is it the war on terrorism.. or is it the war on childhood obesity?

Not really following you here.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Why?
Because it is. To me anyways.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>I used to believe in irony meters.

But you just keep breaking them.

I don't believe in them any more.
How can I break a fictional item?

And really if you're going to invent something make durable unlike these irony meters that just keep breaking.
Like who would want one if it breaks on the first use?
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>So, you didn't even look at what the fallacy is that you are employing. You are using a fallacy, end of story.
Oh please feel free to enlighten me on this fallacy?
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>And if the religulous would stop pushing their religion on children BEFORE they have reached an age where they can reason for themselves, that number would more than likely be a whole lot different.

All you've shown is how effective religious brainwashing is when they have immature minds to work with.
That may in fact be true. However who's place is it to tell parents they cannot teach their children what they believe to be true and can save them from eternal damnation. And why do so many atheist children leave atheism to become a theist?

"Posted earlier by derek4

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.

Continued:

Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."

Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.

Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).

Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).
http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-athei...

[Right; NO thinking people don't want to be atheists.]

July, 2012

¬ďAtheists abandon their beliefs more often than people in other religious groups, study finds¬Ē

A new study has found that people raised in an atheist home abandon those beliefs as adults more often than people raised with other religious belief systems, putting atheism at a 30 percent retention rate. Conclusions and interpretations of the study are that atheists are more often "made" as adults rather than "raised." The highest retention rates are in the Hindu faith, which holds onto about 84 percent of adherents.

Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).

Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.

There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765589392/...

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
Actually, we went looking for truth.

We didn't find it in the bible.

And we were brave enough to admit it.

I'd wager that most atheists here made more of an effort going out and looking for your god than you did.

You, in fact, are the lazy one.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>How is that funny?
Humor is different for everyone and from every point of observation.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>You don't. How can you have any morals if you don't believe in irony meters? You heathen.
Sorry I will try and repent.(If I can hold a straight face long enough)
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>It was the Sausage Monster that made him say it, don't blame him for it, we shall ask the holy noodles to bless him for his blasphemy.
These holy noodles are they the same ones used in spaghettio's.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>You do a really good job covering the issue of gun control. Perhaps you should stick with it and let go of this other. At least with gun control you bring in valid points to the argument. With Atheism you just don’t have much to say other than a few off the shelf remarks.

I’m not trying to insult you here. I’m just pointing out your much stronger in one area than the other. I was raised up with guns. But I have gotten rid of all my guns except one.

My Son in Houston has been the opposite of myself. He is a gun loving fool. He is also a sportsman that loves to hunt and fish. Shooting is a serious hobby with some folks.

In my younger days for stress relief I would take my 357 to a indoor shooting range. There’s nothing like shooting a 357 indoors. The dust at the top of the ceiling would let go and fall. You could feel the energy hit you in the face when the hammer came down.

Hopefully our country can come to grips with some reasonable gun control that keeps guns out of the hands of the crazies.
Nicely put.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
Thereís no lack of evidence in proving thereís a Zeus.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Excuses. The starving man is actually missing something. We are not, we are just not buying what you're selling without you providing evidence to support it.
Some evidence has been presented to you. Not all by no means. But some good stuff and your choice was to disregard it. That's your call, it effects only you. But with your rejection of the evidence you should stop asking for proof. You just look silly.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>The bible says god isn't omniscient.
Which god are you talking about?

The God of the Bible is alway capitalized. So you must be talking of something I cannot help you with.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 141,801 - 141,820 of223,005
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••