Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
141,681 - 141,700 of 224,103 Comments Last updated 24 min ago
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>At least you are willing to ask questions! That is a far cry better than most theists we experience on here.

Please keep in mind the immortal words of Isaac Asimov --

"Are there things in the Universe that we cannot know in the usual way of observing and measuring, but that we can know in some other way -- intuition, revelation, mad insight?

"If so, how can you know that what you know in these non-knowing ways is really so?

"Anything you know without knowing, others can know only through your flat statement without any proof other than 'I know!'

"All this leads to such madness that I, for one, am content with the knowable. That is enough to know."
"Please keep in mind the immortal words of Isaac Asimov -- "

I robot

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you assume that?
Assume what? I made no assumptions, so you'll have to be specific in what part you are unclear.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
That's incorrect KK you know we have evidence you have ruled it out for you and only you. The evidence is still here.
Evidence is the same for everyone, what you are probably calling evidence is not the same for everyone therefore it is not evidence. Unless you have evidence you have no presented.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
A star is a massive, luminous sphere of plasma held together by gravity.
For at least a portion of its life, a star shines due to thermonuclear fusion of hydrogen into helium in its core, releasing energy that traverses the star's interior and then radiates into outer space. Almost all naturally occurring elements heavier than helium are created by stars, either via stellar nucleosynthesis during their lifetimes or by supernova nucleosynthesis when very massive stars explode.
Yes, I just left out the details since they weren't looking for actual answers, just bumper sticker one liners.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have supernatural eyes? Is there some way you interpret reality that should be taken more seriously than the many, often contradictory ways, that other religious believers interpret reality?
Do you really understand a reluctance to accept ideas without evidence? Do you understand rational skepticism?
<quoted text>
Atheists lack a belief in deities.
What is good about religious faith? Isn't faith just committed gullibility?
<quoted text>
You don't hate us? Was that on the table? Mentioning it at all is telling.
Have you ever considered the possibility that your god doesn't reveal himself because he doesn't exist?
<quoted text>
You believe this because it was written down by people who probably believed it too? Are you willing to accept all written claims by people who believed what they wrote?
<quoted text>
The waiting game for the "end times" is perpetual. It's a cheap trick. The Bible is full of cheap tricks.
If you had valid truth claims, it wouldn't be hard to demonstrate them to rational skeptics. Anyone who can evaluate claims consistently, would not be able to accept only the Christian claims. They would have to accept all claims, including alien claims, ghost claims, Sasquatch claims, and claims that haven't been thought of yet.
Thank you for your comments. There was a time early in my life when my belief in God was pure faith. Since that time I have gone beyond faith.

I know God is real. The proof is my own personal experiences. Thereís no need to share these experiences. Because nothing I can say will persuade you and others.

Iím 100% sure in Godís existence.. I searched for God as a young man and found that he is not a fairy tale. But indeed God is as real as you or I. And so we are at a impasse. I canít persuade you and you canít persuade me.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>More lo-cal lo-IQ.[sic]
Hey Tinkles.

So you're an IQ judge now?
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>wrong
IF god created ALL he created your future and youre just like a preprogramed robot doing what he designed you to do

no free will
This ones got there blinders on nice and tights. Lol

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
The creator "God" has not deemed us worthy of much information outside of our Universe. We can't even handle the information he has given us.
Hedonist:
What if God had created a parallel universe for each choice we make. so every scenario is played out in everyone's life. Maybe in addition to one life lived out and every possibility alternative is played out, maybe we live everyone's life that ever lived in all possible scenario with that life. Then God would have very good data to judge each soul on.
We just don't know what God has kept from us.
Lame excuse for not wanting to do the work of advancing our understanding.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>I said: "An all-powerful entity is paradoxically impossible, both in reality and even in one's imagination." To which you replied -

So, can you really imagine an entity that can make an object so big even this entity can't move it? Paradoxically impossible.
"An all-powerful entity is paradoxically impossible, both in reality and even in one's imagination."

And why is this? Because it's your rules?

FYI there is an all powerful entity.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Omnibenevolence is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as "unlimited or infinite benevolence". The word does not appear in any popular dictionary, but is a technical term used more in the academic literature on the philosophy of religion, often in the context of the problem of evil and in theodical responses, and even in such context, the phrases "perfect goodness" or "moral perfection" are often preferred.
God's perfection is Goodness working in and through all those that are His.
How can heaven and hell coexist? How can any sane and loving human being be happy in heaven knowing that millions of people, innocent or not, are being tortured for eternity? This heaven is a place void of empathy, an asylum for psychopaths. How is this heaven good?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"An all-powerful entity is paradoxically impossible, both in reality and even in one's imagination."
Well, since you cannot provide evidence there is one, then you are delusional to assert it is fact.

However, the paradox is best explained with a single question:

Could an all powerful entity create a rock it could not lift?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
...The basic premise of that is that something caused the Universe to begin to exist; this first cause must be God.
Unless you or anyone else can prove otherwise, you're simply stating your opinion, not fact.
You're mixing you cosmological arguments, but whatever.

The "first cause" argument when stated more completely is "everything that began to exist was caused to exist."

But the unspoken premise here is "everything but God began to exist".

This is a premise without foundation and creates a "begging the question" fallacy that puts "God" in the premise of the argument which is supposed to prove God. All you are actually saying is "God exist because God exist". A rather lame fallacy argument.

Try again?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Can he make an object so big even he can't move it?

No matter what answer you give, you are defining an entity that is NOT all powerful. Hence the paradox.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Please keep in mind the immortal words of Isaac Asimov -- "
I robot
That was a good book. Did you read the robot Trilogy? Or the Foundation Trilogy? Or 'Robots & Empire' that tied these 2 epics together?

And it also has nothing to do with the subject, but I understand your need to deflect when you have no argument on point.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Pair of ducks

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a good book. Did you read the robot Trilogy? Or the Foundation Trilogy? Or 'Robots & Empire' that tied these 2 epics together?
And it also has nothing to do with the subject, but I understand your need to deflect when you have no argument on point.
Have you read the Robot City series? It's written more for young adult readers but I highly recommend anyone read it. He actually plays with some very interesting notions about "purpose" and "meaning of life" in the series. I think it's probably his most existential work.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>No, if he's all powerful and all knowing then he would know ever variation of every decision I would make before I was even created, so he could not help but create me to follow a certain path.

(Why "he" anyway? Circumcised?)
"He could help but create me to follow a certain path! " LOL

No you make your own discussions.
He gave that to all mankind. Freedom to disobey his laws.

"He" because we choose to refer to God in a known image to us. There is no he or she in heaven.
KJV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>Come closer and I'll tell you...

...closer...

<whisper> I'm not wearing any panties!
Why you're right those are boxer shorts!

Since: Sep 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your comments. There was a time early in my life when my belief in God was pure faith. Since that time I have gone beyond faith.
I know God is real. The proof is my own personal experiences. Thereís no need to share these experiences. Because nothing I can say will persuade you and others.
Iím 100% sure in Godís existence.. I searched for God as a young man and found that he is not a fairy tale. But indeed God is as real as you or I. And so we are at a impasse. I canít persuade you and you canít persuade me.
You can persuade me.

Produce your god.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Scary and confusing? Sounds like a date to me.
If it gets too scary you can just focus your attention elsewhere. You don't have to actually watch the movie you know.
You should read the short story if you haven't. As good as John Cusack is, you just can't get the insanity of King's mind into a movie.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 22 min religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 26 min religionisillness 370
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Richardfs 198
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 hr DonPanic 21,384
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 14 hr religionisillness 834
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 19 hr Patrick 16
Of Interest InTheNews 19 hr Patrick 3
•••
•••