Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
141,581 - 141,600 of 226,287 Comments Last updated 32 min ago

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#147397 Jan 6, 2013
Clementia wrote:
Goodnite, Catcher. Give my love to the other guys, u know who. Take care, babe!! Have a nice time!!
X
xxoo

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#147398 Jan 6, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
That continues to be a matter of opinion.
You are always entitled to you own opinion, but not to you own facts. Evidence is not a mater of opinion. Evidence is observable, measurable, and available for independent verification.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#147399 Jan 6, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text> It is MORE probable that there is no teapot based on what "is" known about teapots and what has been shot into space.The best evidence available supports there being no teapot.
Okay. Same for deities.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#147400 Jan 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Those stats are as accurate as possible. An atheist would label themselves as such.
An agnostic is not an atheist.
I care about the stats because its fun to put down atheist remarks that their numbers are growing.
And you are just looking at numbers of those that are self identified as atheists.

But since "a-theism" literally is "not-theism", you are creating false breakdowns that do not compare apples-to-apples. Sorry Just like Baptists are a subset of theism, Humanists are a subset of atheism. There are lots of subsets of both categories. The category atheists includes every subset that cannot be included in the category theism. Deal with it.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#147401 Jan 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
BTW, you idiot Topix atheists, the subject of this thread is about atheism requiring a belief system, not about proof of the religious beliefs of others.
If you don't know how something happened, let's take the creation of this universe for an example, then you have a belief system of some sort to account for your existence.
Unless you are mindless and exist as a rock.
And if I don't have a "belief system" but am instead awaiting evidence? How about if I just allow tacit approval in direct proportion to the available verifiable evidence?

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#147403 Jan 6, 2013
Silly! It's a divine teapot not one made of clay! It's invisible and beyond our comprehension but it created everything and if you don't believe in it you burn forever in the coffee pot underworld forever roasting in scalding hot decaf!
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text> It is MORE probable that there is no teapot based on what "is" known about teapots and what has been shot into space.The best evidence available supports there being no teapot.

Louisville, KY

#147404 Jan 6, 2013
You may wanna rethink thy ultra lame dodge because you just said that there is no difference between god and your imagination.

Mulligan?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
They shouldn't.
If you have faith, you'd know.
If you believed in God, you'd know.
Because once you do, He is there for you.

Chicago, IL

#147405 Jan 6, 2013
Not to mention they want to have it both ways saying the only atheists are people who self describe themselves with the label atheist. But ok the other hand want to lump everyone in prison including refused to answer as an atheist lol!

Sorry but they need to pick their position and stick with it.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are just looking at numbers of those that are self identified as atheists.
But since "a-theism" literally is "not-theism", you are creating false breakdowns that do not compare apples-to-apples. Sorry Just like Baptists are a subset of theism, Humanists are a subset of atheism. There are lots of subsets of both categories. The category atheists includes every subset that cannot be included in the category theism. Deal with it.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#147406 Jan 6, 2013
Clementia wrote:
LOL, u would do that for me? Thanks!
Who the blumin' hell hasn't seen ALL the back to future movies? They must be sad people, lol, I'm joking or am I?
Yh, I liked it too, but i'm soooo confused. When I watched the back to future movies, I was a kid, right, so u didn't think about the science behind the film and with those movies I don't even care about the paradox or things like that, but i'm so confused about source code, coz I started thinking too much about it and it doesn't make sense. How did he send her the text msg?
Another film that I cared about, being confused about, was room 1408, that was another good film, but too confusing.
I would have to watch Source Code again to explain it. I can't quite remember what the deal was with the text msg.

I haven't seen Room 1408. I just watched the trailer. It looks like a good date movie :)

Have you seen Danny Darko? You might find it confusing too, but I really like that one.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#147407 Jan 6, 2013
Ooops. Donnie Darko.

Danny is my name. I'm Darko too.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#147408 Jan 7, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have to watch Source Code again to explain it. I can't quite remember what the deal was with the text msg.
I haven't seen Room 1408. I just watched the trailer. It looks like a good date movie :)
Have you seen Danny Darko? You might find it confusing too, but I really like that one.
1408 is good but see "Triangle".

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#147409 Jan 7, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You are always entitled to you own opinion, but not to you own facts. Evidence is not a mater of opinion. Evidence is observable, measurable, and available for independent verification.
Evidence is interpeted and utilized to support probability. ANYTHING that is interpeted leaves room for opinion based conclusions.

Location hidden

#147410 Jan 7, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. Same for deities.
There is more of a probablity for a diety than the teapot.

Location hidden

#147411 Jan 7, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Silly! It's a divine teapot not one made of clay! It's invisible and beyond our comprehension but it created everything and if you don't believe in it you burn forever in the coffee pot underworld forever roasting in scalding hot decaf!
<quoted text>
Stock line.There is good evidence for the creation of the teapot and the methods of it potentially being placed in space. The teapot and the delivery system both can be proven to exist due to a designer. There is no evidence of that occurring.The rest is you engaging in the usual shots at some Christians beliefs.So I assue you believe there is a designer.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#147412 Jan 7, 2013
Lo-cal god?
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text> diety

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#147413 Jan 7, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text> There is more of a probablity for a diety than the teapot.
It is MORE probable that there is no deity based on what "is" known about deities.

Unless you'd care to define the properties of deity to enough level of detail that some sort of evidence can be observed / measured to support such a claim?

Without a clearly defined set of properties any consideration of deities is meaningless and absurd.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#147414 Jan 7, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text> Evidence is interpeted and utilized to support probability. ANYTHING that is interpeted leaves room for opinion based conclusions.
Then it's NOT evidence. Did you miss the part about 'independent verification'. Or do you not understand what this means?

Location hidden

#147415 Jan 7, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Then it's NOT evidence. Did you miss the part about 'independent verification'. Or do you not understand what this means?
Independant verification presupposes no bias.

Location hidden

#147416 Jan 7, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
It is MORE probable that there is no deity based on what "is" known about deities.
Unless you'd care to define the properties of deity to enough level of detail that some sort of evidence can be observed / measured to support such a claim?
Without a clearly defined set of properties any consideration of deities is meaningless and absurd.

Arguing probability doesn't require "observable evidence". It simply concludes given a set of circumstances what is more likely.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#147417 Jan 7, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
If you really think so.
http://www.havocscope.com/tag/arms-traffickin...
Sorry, I am confused here, you said :-

Getting rid of guns will not prevent children from getting murdered…
EndQuote

And I replied
Nope but it will get rid of children being murdered with guns
Endquote

So you counter by showing how easy guns are to obtain?

How can arms trafficking and illegal possession of guns ever be classed as
Getting rid of guns
EndQuote.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 17 min Carchar king 43
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 19 min Carchar king 23
Our world came from nothing? 25 min Carchar king 410
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 21,500
100% Faith Free 2 hr Thinking 11
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr ChristineM 902
The Ultimate Evidence of God 3 hr Patrick 54
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••