Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247220 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#147464 Jan 7, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
We do not know. We do not even know if the question makes any sense (time being required for causality and time also possibly beginning at the Big Bang).
<quoted text>
At this point, it looks like the multi-verse, if it exists, is eternal: it exists whenever there is time.
<quoted text>
But the way to find out is not to simply throw up our hands and give up. Instead, we need to obtain deeper understanding of how the universe works, what the laws governing the universe (or multi-verse) are and what that means for the question of origins. At the very least, we will need a testable theory of quantum gravity. Unfortunately, we don't have such.
I'm with you.Makes sense and its reasonable.I believe "something" has to be eternal for any of it to make sense. Unfortunately neither of us is likely to be around for the answers.

Location hidden

#147465 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
First, "we know them" is a qualifier that states that there are different types of teapots, which is true, thus it could just be an older one, or an alien one.
"no evidence of a teapot being launched into space" ... just as there is no evidence of any god as of yet. Which was the entire point of the assertion anyway. So you just helped demonstrate that your god is unlikely to exist.
Well given what we know about teapots and space launches I think it was safe to say there is good evidence against any being discarded in space. However no such evidence exists "against" the existence of a diety.

Location hidden

#147466 Jan 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I overstep reality when I say it isn't really possible a human looking god existed billions of years before humans?
What would you base the idea that a being that looked just like us existed billions of years before humans did?
Yes and now explain why it would wait billions of years to create us.
while creating a system of life that would take half a billion years to evolve into us. Wait the right amount of time for us to evolve naturally, and then create us. You see it doesn't make sense does it?
I am arguing diety.You have translated that to be a specific being.There is a difference. However to answer part of that question, an eternal being would be unaffected by the constraints of time. So billions of years or trillions,its of no consequence when time is eternal.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#147467 Jan 7, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
I believe "something" has to be eternal for any of it to make sense.
And that "something" could be the "Universe" or the "Multiverse".

Location hidden

#147468 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
We know that, dying stars.
So now that raises the question what is the origin of the dying star...and so on.

Location hidden

#147469 Jan 7, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The chemicals that were on the early earth were formed in the gas and dust clouds that collapsed to form the sun and solar system. The elements in those clouds (except for hydrogen and helium) were formed in supernova explosions via nuclear reactions. That should be enough for any biologist. Yes, you can ask about what happened even earlier, but you are then about 9 billion years before life started and are talking cosmology and not biology.
Indeed. That is what so fascinating.The desire and need to know where,how and why.Its the central mystery of our lives.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#147470 Jan 7, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Well given what we know about teapots and space launches I think it was safe to say there is good evidence against any being discarded in space. However no such evidence exists "against" the existence of a diety.
Well now, you are adding an assertion to create a strawman argument. There was never a mention of it being "discarded" only that one is there, not to mention the type of teapot was never detailed, so the ones we associate today with "teapot" are not the only possible ones applicable.

Then you attempt to shift the burden of proof yet again. You still have no evidence that your deity exists, that's it. Until such evidence is presented then your deity is just an assumption.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#147471 Jan 7, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
So now that raises the question what is the origin of the dying star...and so on.
Stars are the result of matter-energy interaction.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#147472 Jan 7, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text> I'm with you.Makes sense and its reasonable.I believe "something" has to be eternal for any of it to make sense. Unfortunately neither of us is likely to be around for the answers.
So an eternal intelligence is required to create humans but was not itself created makes more sense to you than an eternal universe?

(which may or may not be cyclic ... or the "expansion" we perceive could just be a local phenomenon that goes beyond the range of our sensors ... or countless other natural explanations which may at least be testable at some point).

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#147473 Jan 7, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. That is what so fascinating.The desire and need to know where,how and why.Its the central mystery of our lives.
At least you are willing to ask questions! That is a far cry better than most theists we experience on here.

Please keep in mind the immortal words of Isaac Asimov --

"Are there things in the Universe that we cannot know in the usual way of observing and measuring, but that we can know in some other way -- intuition, revelation, mad insight?

"If so, how can you know that what you know in these non-knowing ways is really so?

"Anything you know without knowing, others can know only through your flat statement without any proof other than 'I know!'

"All this leads to such madness that I, for one, am content with the knowable. That is enough to know."

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#147474 Jan 7, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll check the menu for veg food. It's in their website. And all the fish is fresh, so no malodor.
Streak means you go to an event where there are a lot of people, you take off all your clothes, and you run across whatever the event is that the spectators are focusing on.
Sometimes the police or sports team players chase the person, sometimes they tackle him or her right in the middle of a stadium with thousands in the stands.
In this case it would be streaking through a taping, or filming, so they could redo, or edit out the streaking. But it would be fun anyway, no?
Oh, I know what u mean but i didn't know it was called that.

I remember this one;

lllllllllllol!

There was another one with a female at snooker but I can't find that one!

I'll do it BUT only if Lesbo does it too. She can get her police uniform on and pretend to chase me then she could join in too! It's less embarrassing if more than 1 person does it and it'll have a bit of a twist too.

Location hidden

#147475 Jan 7, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have to watch Source Code again to explain it. I can't quite remember what the deal was with the text msg.
I haven't seen Room 1408. I just watched the trailer. It looks like a good date movie :)
Have you seen Danny Darko? You might find it confusing too, but I really like that one.
The thing was that he sent her(army woman) a msg from the other parallel dimension, but how can a msg jump the different realities? I don't know how to explain but I know the film was very confusing.

How the hell does that look like a date movie? It was scary and confusing!!! u like watching scary films on a date? Lol, if I watched a scary film with my guy i would end up bruising his hand, coz I would squeeze it ever time I got scared. Saw has to be the worst 'squeeze hand' film EVER!!!!! Well, I warned u, now it's up to u about what film u want to watch. Oh also, I pinch people when I get scared, too!:-)

No, I can't remember watching Donnie Darko, these films are scary, man!!
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#147477 Jan 7, 2013
More lo-cal lo-IQ.[sic]
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
I am arguing diety.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#147478 Jan 7, 2013
Clementia wrote:
The thing was that he sent her(army woman) a msg from the other parallel dimension, but how can a msg jump the different realities? I don't know how to explain but I know the film was very confusing.
How the hell does that look like a date movie? It was scary and confusing!!! u like watching scary films on a date? Lol, if I watched a scary film with my guy i would end up bruising his hand, coz I would squeeze it ever time I got scared. Saw has to be the worst 'squeeze hand' film EVER!!!!! Well, I warned u, now it's up to u about what film u want to watch. Oh also, I pinch people when I get scared, too!:-)
No, I can't remember watching Donnie Darko, these films are scary, man!!
Scary and confusing? Sounds like a date to me.

If it gets too scary you can just focus your attention elsewhere. You don't have to actually watch the movie you know.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#147479 Jan 7, 2013
A star... and so on.
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#147480 Jan 7, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
Atheist live in the here and now. Because they live in the natural world. It’s beyond their comprehension the idea of a spiritual world. A world not seen by the natural eye. In some ways I understand their reluctance.
Do you have supernatural eyes? Is there some way you interpret reality that should be taken more seriously than the many, often contradictory ways, that other religious believers interpret reality?

Do you really understand a reluctance to accept ideas without evidence? Do you understand rational skepticism?
Eagle12 wrote:
They’re so emphatic about their assurance there is no God. They won’t even remotely experiment in testing the waters sort of speak. I’m afraid it’s a lost cause for the majority of atheist when it comes to faith.
Atheists lack a belief in deities.

What is good about religious faith? Isn't faith just committed gullibility?
Eagle12 wrote:
I do not hate them for their unwillingness to even try to reach out to God. We can not and we will not be able to reach everyone. Some will be lost at their own choosing. I have often wondered why God doesn’t reveal himself in the natural.
You don't hate us? Was that on the table? Mentioning it at all is telling.

Have you ever considered the possibility that your god doesn't reveal himself because he doesn't exist?
Eagle12 wrote:
But he did once and many believed. Through his miracles he was able to draw in great crowds by the thousands. At some point in the distant future he will reveal himself again the natural world. How far away that time is? I have no idea. I don’t believe it will be in my lifetime.
You believe this because it was written down by people who probably believed it too? Are you willing to accept all written claims by people who believed what they wrote?
Eagle12 wrote:
First the Anti-Christ (World Leader) will take the scene. To the atheist this is all make believe and a fairy tale. We must understand that those of us that believe will not change them,(Atheist).
The waiting game for the "end times" is perpetual. It's a cheap trick. The Bible is full of cheap tricks.

If you had valid truth claims, it wouldn't be hard to demonstrate them to rational skeptics. Anyone who can evaluate claims consistently, would not be able to accept only the Christian claims. They would have to accept all claims, including alien claims, ghost claims, Sasquatch claims, and claims that haven't been thought of yet.

Location hidden

#147481 Jan 7, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Scary and confusing? Sounds like a date to me.
If it gets too scary you can just focus your attention elsewhere. You don't have to actually watch the movie you know.
Right, I'll bring a Rubik's cube and hammer with me!

Nah, u got to get the adrenaline pumping, it's a good feeling in a scary way.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#147482 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Yes, but love is caused by physical and easily demonstrated chemical reactions. You god, if it existed, would have some sort of influence on the world, and that would leave evidence.
Why do you assume that?

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#147483 Jan 7, 2013
Clementia wrote:
Right, I'll bring a Rubik's cube and hammer with me!
Nah, u got to get the adrenaline pumping, it's a good feeling in a scary way.
It's all about chemistry.

Let's keep in natural.

I don't like getting hammered.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#147484 Jan 7, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I know what u mean but i didn't know it was called that.
I remember this one;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =WrxiwXLgme4XX
lllllllllllol!
There was another one with a female at snooker but I can't find that one!
I'll do it BUT only if Lesbo does it too. She can get her police uniform on and pretend to chase me then she could join in too! It's less embarrassing if more than 1 person does it and it'll have a bit of a twist too.
Wow, I'm already excited at the thought of you two doing it as a duet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 2 min -Stray Dog 47,751
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 19 min thetruth 12,419
Proof of God for the Atheist 3 hr thetruth 94
Atheism and Evidence of the Exodus 16 hr Amused 25
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 17 hr Amused 15
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 19 hr thetruth 2,352
News Muslim World and Secularism Tue P_Smith 1
More from around the web