Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
141,561 - 141,580 of 224,618 Comments Last updated 33 min ago

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>The tell me why America is filled with so many intellectual, rational people yet atheists are only .07% of the population.
It's called cognitive dissonance.

People walk around all day acting one way and believing another.

For instance, you might claim your god loves you and your family and so, should protect you from harm, yet you feel the need for assault weapons to protect you and your family.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
We have the guts to say we don't know.
We have the guts to say we may never know.
And we have the curiosity and determination to keep trying.
Something you and Dave will never understand.
Well, it's the truth, we really don't know a lot!! But even some scientists think they know it all.

But what has our curiosity and determination helped us achieve? OK, u sent a man to the moon, so what? U discovered big bang theory, so what? U sent gadgets to outer space, so what? We humans are still killing each other like animals, we're so close to even making the bloody fish in the sea extinct, How has science and knowledge helped us to become better human-beings?

Thanks to science we even know that we all come from the same ancestor, we are all one species but has racism, sexism and other forms of discrimination stopped? No, it's just taken on another form, but it's still there.

Science is not the answer to world peace!! That's more important than knowing how the world was created!!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence is not a matter of opinion, any evidence that requires opinion is not evidence, it's opinion.
When discussing this particular subject what constitutes evidence and what constitutes probability remains largely opinion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Then please present it.
Present opinion? Isn't that what we have all been doing?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>They shouldn't.

If you have faith, you'd know.

If you believed in God, you'd know.

Because once you do, He is there for you.
Faith and knowing are incompatible.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

jeffthecheeseman wrote:
I am not mindless, nor do I exist as a "rock". It is just that I will believe science over mythology any day. The beauty of science is that it can say, "We don't have all the answers yet, but we are working on it." Religion says, "We have all the answers, and if you don't believe us, you will burn in hell."
How silly

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>Well, it's the truth, we really don't know a lot!! But even some scientists think they know it all.

But what has our curiosity and determination helped us achieve? OK, u sent a man to the moon, so what? U discovered big bang theory, so what? U sent gadgets to outer space, so what? We humans are still killing each other like animals, we're so close to even making the bloody fish in the sea extinct, How has science and knowledge helped us to become better human-beings?

Thanks to science we even know that we all come from the same ancestor, we are all one species but has racism, sexism and other forms of discrimination stopped? No, it's just taken on another form, but it's still there.

Science is not the answer to world peace!! That's more important than knowing how the world was created!!
Good points.

Science doesn't deal with the why's.

But religion doesn't do such a great job either, does it.

As for what might help us learn to get along better, my vote goes to secular humanism.

And don't confuse that with atheism. You can be religious AND a secular humanist.

In the case of Christians, they might have to give up their homophobia.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's the truth, we really don't know a lot!! But even some scientists think they know it all.

Allow me to disagree with you, Clementine.

As I see it, it is the religious folks who think they know it all; their faith deprives them of the ability to question their beliefs, to reconsider, to examine evidence. Scientists are generally in a quest to gain knowledge, to examine new discoveries, to change their views on the basis of persuasive evidence.

As for the wars, here too religion generally tends to play a major part. And much discrimination, against homosexuals for example, is justified by Christians by their Bible.

Science may not be the answer to discrimination or to world peace and harmony. But religion is often the enemy of these goals.

Three whole weeks?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Three weeks? Vacation?
I'm flying to San Francisco tomorrow, will be there two days. But it's work. Fun work, but work nonetheless.
Nope, I bloody wish tho!! Uni started and also I got to go back to work and it's full on work, work, work. It's hopefully only going to be 3 stressful weeks, I got deadlines and presentations, i think it'll calm down after that until May, f*cking exam time!!! Anyway, i'll be working hard and won't have time for topix, coz I need my sleep or i'll just fall asleep while i'm teaching and the kids will make MORE fun of me, lol.

Aww, take me with u, I'll make u nice masala tea and give u an Indian head massage, just take me with u, plssssss!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Dave.
To what may we attribute your absence?
He was abducted by aliens or God!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Good points.
Science doesn't deal with the why's.
But religion doesn't do such a great job either, does it.
As for what might help us learn to get along better, my vote goes to secular humanism.
And don't confuse that with atheism. You can be religious AND a secular humanist.
In the case of Christians, they might have to give up their homophobia.
Yes, both science and religion are not the answer.

I agree, but that's coz I've been brainwashed with Sikh philosophy, these people who have been brainwashed with hating gay people and thinking that atheists and people of other faith are going to hell and not so easily convinced. I don't think these people are ever gonna change, I think all we can do is try not to be like them and not to hate them.

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I bloody wish tho!! Uni started and also I got to go back to work and it's full on work, work, work. It's hopefully only going to be 3 stressful weeks, I got deadlines and presentations, i think it'll calm down after that until May, f*cking exam time!!! Anyway, i'll be working hard and won't have time for topix, coz I need my sleep or i'll just fall asleep while i'm teaching and the kids will make MORE fun of me, lol.
Aww, take me with u, I'll make u nice masala tea and give u an Indian head massage, just take me with u, plssssss!

Hahaha, hop down to L.A. and of course I'll take you. But during the day you'll have to see stuff all by yourself (Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, Embarcadero, Golden Gate Park, Coit Tower). I will be busy working.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Allow me to disagree with you, Clementine.
As I see it, it is the religious folks who think they know it all; their faith deprives them of the ability to question their beliefs, to reconsider, to examine evidence. Scientists are generally in a quest to gain knowledge, to examine new discoveries, to change their views on the basis of persuasive evidence.
As for the wars, here too religion generally tends to play a major part. And much discrimination, against homosexuals for example, is justified by Christians by their Bible.
Science may not be the answer to discrimination or to world peace and harmony. But religion is often the enemy of these goals.
Three whole weeks?
Hang on darlin', read what I wrote to Batty! No, I will not allow u to disagree with me!! What u gonna do about it, stud?

Aww, babe, do u think I can stay away from u? I really shouldn't, but i'll probably end up coming ever night again, but if I do, tell me to f*ck off and get some sleep!! Say it your way tho!

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Hang on darlin', read what I wrote to Batty! No, I will not allow u to disagree with me!! What u gonna do about it, stud?
Aww, babe, do u think I can stay away from u? I really shouldn't, but i'll probably end up coming ever night again, but if I do, tell me to f*ck off and get some sleep!! Say it your way tho!
I'll look forward to your visits, but priorities are important so make the visits fun but brief.

Quality is always better than quantity, Clementine.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahaha, hop down to L.A. and of course I'll take you. But during the day you'll have to see stuff all by yourself (Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, Embarcadero, Golden Gate Park, Coit Tower). I will be busy working.
No, I wanna go with u or not at all!! I hate going on my own to new places, I get scared and lost! I know nothing about America and I got no common sense, that's a very bad idea, Catcher! Can't i come to your workplace? I promise I won't mess around and I'll be quite and i'll try not to giggle!

Where r we going in the evening?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

quiet!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll look forward to your visits, but priorities are important so make the visits fun but brief.
Quality is always better than quantity, Clementine.
Yes, Sir!!

OK, I'll make u a teaspoon of the finest tea, u'll ever have tasted!

Lol, reading that, I had this strange urge to........Nah, it's not always wise to speak the truth.

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I wanna go with u or not at all!! I hate going on my own to new places, I get scared and lost! I know nothing about America and I got no common sense, that's a very bad idea, Catcher! Can't i come to your workplace? I promise I won't mess around and I'll be quite and i'll try not to giggle!
Where r we going in the evening?
I'm going to be filmed in the daytime, an educational program. Maybe you can "streak" across the studio. Do you know what streak means?

In the evening, I would like to go to my favorite San Francisco restaurant. The name is Hayes Street Grill. It's on Hayes Street (hahaha). It's the best seafood restaurant in the city. Everybody in the know knows that. Ask Wilderide, I'm sure he knows of it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to be filmed in the daytime, an educational program. Maybe you can "streak" across the studio. Do you know what streak means?
In the evening, I would like to go to my favorite San Francisco restaurant. The name is Hayes Street Grill. It's on Hayes Street (hahaha). It's the best seafood restaurant in the city. Everybody in the know knows that. Ask Wilderide, I'm sure he knows of it.
No, U mean sneak?

Oh God, does it smell of dead fish? do they do veg food? Or i'll just bring home made food.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Goodnite, Catcher. Give my love to the other guys, u know who. Take care, babe!! Have a nice time!!

X

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 30 min Reason Personified 259
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 843
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 5 hr CunningLinguist 29
Atheists, give up your lost religion and seek t... (Nov '13) 7 hr CunningLinguist 229
Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 8 hr CunningLinguist 70,963
Introducing The Universal Religion 14 hr Patrick 737
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 14 hr Patrick 397
•••
•••