Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#147336 Jan 6, 2013
TLC wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been saying all along that atheism is a religion and you just agreed with that. You just called all your lame brained atheist friends liars!!! Thanks for destroying your own kind!!!
Atheism is not a religion . It is as disbelief in any gods .
An atheist religion has no supreme deity or god they worship like... Jainism, Buddhism, Raelism, Neopagan movements such as Wicca and Modern Gaia.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#147337 Jan 6, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Frozen. Costco.
But real maple syrup on them.
And a cup of strong French roast.
Actually, I thought it was some exercise I'd never heard of.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#147338 Jan 6, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
The teapot made its debut during the Ming Dynasty in China (approximately 1350ad). The first rocket into space was the German V2 in 1944. Since there is a reliable record of rockets and space exploration since the intial V2. It is safe to say there is no evidence of a teapot anywhere in space.
It's also safe to say there's no evidence of any god.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#147339 Jan 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I thought it was some exercise I'd never heard of.
You're confusing a waffle with a pretzel.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#147340 Jan 6, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
So, even though you cannot actually prove there is no teapot in space, you consider such a possibility to be so remote as to be an absurd consideration?
That's exactly the way I feel about Shiva, Vishnu, and Brahma ... and Adonai ... and Allah .... and Jehovah ... and Thor ... and Zeus ... and all the others.( www.godchecker.com )
It is MORE probable that there is no teapot based on what "is" known about teapots and what has been shot into space.The best evidence available supports there being no teapot.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#147341 Jan 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's also safe to say there's no evidence of any god.
That continues to be a matter of opinion.

Since: Jan 13

Dillon, CO

#147342 Jan 6, 2013
Agreed, Aerobatty. I am neither "atheist" nor "religious" If someone could produce for me one iota of proof, not faith, that a God exists, I would convert.I keep on hearing that I lack "faith". Sorry, but I need evidence if I am going to change my life and bet my "soul" on the existence of a God.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#147344 Jan 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
What claim?
That atheism is belief depending on evidence.

Location hidden

#147345 Jan 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a pretty poor excuse for not having any evidence of your assertion that there is a god, much less the one you ascribe to. Sounds more like you are trying to convince yourself that you know something others don't so you don't have to face facts.
It's no excuse, it's reality.

Can you prove that you love your mom?

Go ahead & try.

Location hidden

#147346 Jan 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, why did you make up a number. It's 2.04% that openly admit to being atheists. But the "non-religious" count as well, because without a religious belief you lack a belief in a god, therefore you're an atheist as well. The "atheist" label in that survey was likely for the atheist religions, there are a few religious that have no gods in them. So the total actually nears 14%.
But then, it doesn't matter, the majority are wrong more often than correct, and an appeal to popularity is a fallacy.
Whatever then, 2.04%...

But you can't say that 14% are atheists because 13% of them say they are non-religious or agnostic, not atheists.

You don't get to change the stats to suit your argument.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#147347 Jan 6, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We need to tone down the rhetoric.
What, why? What have we done? Or r u just being sarcastic or something?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#147348 Jan 6, 2013
TLC wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been saying all along that atheism is a religion and you just agreed with that. You just called all your lame brained atheist friends liars!!! Thanks for destroying your own kind!!!
Ah, twisting the words to suit your fallacy, a typical tactic you enjoy employing, JR. May I call you JR? Typing out Just Results all the time gets tiring. Anyhow, atheism is not a religion, but there are religions that have no gods, therefore, the people following those are categorized as atheist. Do you need more English words explained to you tonight, JR?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#147349 Jan 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever then, 2.04%...
But you can't say that 14% are atheists because 13% of them say they are non-religious or agnostic, not atheists.
You don't get to change the stats to suit your argument.
Non-religious would also be atheist, if you don't believe in any religion, then by default you don't believe in a god, thus the label of atheist includes those as well. Why are you even caring about such numbers anyway? It's silly, childish, and stupid. But your complete disregard of the English language is insulting to the USA.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#147350 Jan 6, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen Source Code. I liked it. Did you see any of the Back to the Future movies?
If you get yourself killed I'll go back in time and strategically place a banana peel to thwart your would-be assassin.
LOL, u would do that for me? Thanks!

Who the blumin' hell hasn't seen ALL the back to future movies? They must be sad people, lol, I'm joking or am I?

Yh, I liked it too, but i'm soooo confused. When I watched the back to future movies, I was a kid, right, so u didn't think about the science behind the film and with those movies I don't even care about the paradox or things like that, but i'm so confused about source code, coz I started thinking too much about it and it doesn't make sense. How did he send her the text msg?

Another film that I cared about, being confused about, was room 1408, that was another good film, but too confusing.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#147351 Jan 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That atheism is belief depending on evidence.
Meh, it's a logical conclusion since we require evidence before we are willing to believe anything. However, atheism is not a belief, it's a lack of belief and only a lack of belief in a god.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#147352 Jan 6, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
What, why? What have we done? Or r u just being sarcastic or something?
I'm sick and tired of the gun discussion.

It's very depressing.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#147353 Jan 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Dave!
Welcome back. Again.
Interesting article. I'm wondering, though.
What gives you the idea that we don't hold science and scientists up to the same skeptical standard as we do religion?
Let me give you a couple of examples.
Super luminal neutrinos-When I saw this report, I was excited at the potential of brand new knowledge, but I was doubtful of the precision of the measurement methods and that all the factors of shooting neutrinos through that much of the earth were taken into account. As it turned out, the measurements WERE flawed, and scientists, also skeptical, found the flaws.
The Martian meteorite-Those little microbe things LOOKED like they could be once live microbes. But they also looked like they blended into the meteorite. I also wondered (still do) if something the size of bacteria can even BE fossilized. I would think they are too small and frail, but I don't know. Either way, science and scientists once again cleared this up.
LIGO-The experiment to detect gravity waves. Considering the microscopic accuracy required over a 4 mile distance, I have my doubts that even the earth's crust is stable enough for the level of precision. Same goes for the proposed space based LIGO system. Of course, I don't KNOW if my concerns are legitimate, but I am fairly certain that any potential results will be closely scrutinized.
At least there is no equivalent of the pope in science. No single, ultimate authority.
You poor simple minded soul.

There are plenty of cardinals, bishops, and a Pope or two in science. Gatekeepers of the approved way of looking at things. They also have a problem with the heretics within their church, too.

In your simple mindicity you default to this hazy religion you call science, and develop this belief this all happened along by chance. This is a religion, a belief you will find the answers in time. Well, you won't, but you hope mankind will. Part of the religion. They do the same in some churches.

You, and many others like you, get lost in the sophistry of modern physics. You started worshiping that concept I mentioned instead of the unknowable creative force. You make the mistake of denying its existence.

If you had some more smarts about how things work, it would be easier for you to realize that you are just a construct in this manifestation. You are no different than a damned light bulb, except they are brighter. You are circuitry for a force set into motion. Like a light can reveal things by its energy impacting them, AND those reflections in turn affect it, your existence is very similar, just a whole bunch more complex. The difference is the potential for you to manifest as a more coherent form on another level, or even here.

Here is the difference between a light bulb and a human being. A light bulb doesn't know there is a switch powering it. It just exists, just like your average Topix atheist. No fucking brains to see beyond itself and the moment.

Thanks for the welcome back.

:-)

Location hidden

#147354 Jan 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Non-religious would also be atheist, if you don't believe in any religion, then by default you don't believe in a god, thus the label of atheist includes those as well. Why are you even caring about such numbers anyway? It's silly, childish, and stupid. But your complete disregard of the English language is insulting to the USA.
Those stats are as accurate as possible. An atheist would label themselves as such.

An agnostic is not an atheist.

I care about the stats because its fun to put down atheist remarks that their numbers are growing.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#147355 Jan 6, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sick and tired of the gun discussion.
It's very depressing.
I'm bored of it, but then I was bored of it a couple decades ago.

Location hidden

#147356 Jan 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Meh, it's a logical conclusion since we require evidence before we are willing to believe anything. However, atheism is not a belief, it's a lack of belief and only a lack of belief in a god.
Ya, which is why I contended his stupid comment.

Then you attack me not know that we were on the sane side of the argument.

An atheist that says its a fact that there is no God is a liar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 44 min oneear69 22,419
Can atheists pray? Gretta Vosper on Andrew W.K.... 50 min Patrick 9
After brutal persecution, Albania 'reopened' to... 1 hr Barbarian 4
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 1 hr Patrick 141
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Patrick n Angela 492
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 4 hr nOgOd 1
Noah's flood real (Oct '12) 6 hr Patrick n Angela 4,511
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE