Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#147300 Jan 6, 2013
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/05/my-t...

A good article.

Something Topix atheists and too many Christians don't truly understand. Divinity comes from within, not without. Wisdom and truth comes from through us, not preached to us.

Stupid Topix atheists, they wrap their "scientists" in white robes and put halos on their head. Then bow at their feet.

Why are Topix atheists incapable of thinking in the abstract? Glorified electrons with limited circuitry.

Existence is a light shining and bouncing off thingies. Something provided the light switch.

:-)

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#147301 Jan 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/ 2013/01/05/my-take-jesus-was-a -dirty-dirty-god/?hpt=hp_c1
A good article.
Something Topix atheists and too many Christians don't truly understand. Divinity comes from within, not without. Wisdom and truth comes from through us, not preached to us.
Stupid Topix atheists, they wrap their "scientists" in white robes and put halos on their head. Then bow at their feet.
Why are Topix atheists incapable of thinking in the abstract? Glorified electrons with limited circuitry.
Existence is a light shining and bouncing off thingies. Something provided the light switch.
Hey Dave!

I see that our magnetism has pulled you back in here and you're all plugged in.

BTW, the thread has evolved into a gun control discussion board.

Off to the gym.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#147302 Jan 6, 2013
scaritual wrote:
TheBlackSheep wrote:<quoted text> 109.58 people died in a car accident today.
<quoted text>
At least you grey boxed when you made the post, I'd be embarrassed to use a registered name too, had I posted what you said.
Based upon statistics the majority that died in those accidents were Christian, with the possibility of some being atheist etc...
All unfortunate, no matter what their theistic belief or lack thereof happened to be.
I was thinking the same thing!
CharlieDarwin

Mugla, Turkey

#147303 Jan 6, 2013
More ignorance of Atheism AND Religion!

Educate yourself-

Atheism = belief depending on evidence
Faith = belief in the absence of evidence

Can I make it any simpler for you??

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#147304 Jan 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/ 2013/01/05/my-take-jesus-was-a -dirty-dirty-god/?hpt=hp_c1

A good article.

Hey Dave!

Welcome back. Again.

Interesting article. I'm wondering, though.

What gives you the idea that we don't hold science and scientists up to the same skeptical standard as we do religion?

Let me give you a couple of examples.

Super luminal neutrinos-When I saw this report, I was excited at the potential of brand new knowledge, but I was doubtful of the precision of the measurement methods and that all the factors of shooting neutrinos through that much of the earth were taken into account. As it turned out, the measurements WERE flawed, and scientists, also skeptical, found the flaws.

The Martian meteorite-Those little microbe things LOOKED like they could be once live microbes. But they also looked like they blended into the meteorite. I also wondered (still do) if something the size of bacteria can even BE fossilized. I would think they are too small and frail, but I don't know. Either way, science and scientists once again cleared this up.

LIGO-The experiment to detect gravity waves. Considering the microscopic accuracy required over a 4 mile distance, I have my doubts that even the earth's crust is stable enough for the level of precision. Same goes for the proposed space based LIGO system. Of course, I don't KNOW if my concerns are legitimate, but I am fairly certain that any potential results will be closely scrutinized.

At least there is no equivalent of the pope in science. No single, ultimate authority.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#147305 Jan 6, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Dave!

I see that our magnetism has pulled you back in here and you're all plugged in.

BTW, the thread has evolved into a gun control discussion board.

Off to the gym.
I'm there right now.

Did legs.

Core next.

Then upper body.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#147306 Jan 6, 2013
CharlieDarwin wrote:
More ignorance of Atheism AND Religion!
Educate yourself-
Atheism = belief depending on evidence
Faith = belief in the absence of evidence
Can I make it any simpler for you??
Sure, chuck.

Show us the atheist evidence that there is no God.

I'll wait......

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#147307 Jan 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Sure, chuck.

I'll wait......
It's exactly the same evidence you need to show us that there is no teapot orbiting the sun between Jupiter and Mars.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#147308 Jan 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, chuck.
I'll wait......
One, read the Bible! If that isn't enough proof...

Second, there is no evidence that a god exists.

Psst You are done waiting.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147309 Jan 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's exactly the same evidence you need to show us that there is no teapot orbiting the sun between Jupiter and Mars.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#147310 Jan 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, chuck.
I'll wait......
Denying your claim is not making a claim, therefore it is your responsibility to support your own claim with evidence. Since it's your claim, you have to do it.

Wouldn't it be nice if anyone could get away with making claims without any evidence to support them? Imagine the world where bigfoot is real and hunting is banned in the Northwest to protect it, alien abductions happen to everyone and insurance has to pay for it, it is actually the other person's fault on all cases, and it really isn't their drugs. You think you get a free pass, well, you don't anymore. Where is your evidence.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147311 Jan 6, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
One, read the Bible! If that isn't enough proof...
Second, there is no evidence that a god exists.
Psst You are done waiting.
"Read the bible"?

HA! Try understanding the bible. Contrary to what atheists think, it isn't a novel.

Lots of us have seen God's evidence. Personally, I have felt God's presence & heard His voice.

That's proof enough!

pssst: keep waiting...

Long Beach, CA

#147312 Jan 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm there right now.
Did legs.
Core next.
Then upper body.
Back.

Elliptical trainer and stationary bike.

Then situps.

Now waffles.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#147313 Jan 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not an absolute--it's only true if there is no reason to believe that an event or phenomenon would leave evidence behind. But if evidence is logically predictable and does not exist, then its lack is indeed evidence of absence--that is, in fact, an essential part of the falsifiability process of the scientific method. So the real question is whether so powerful and essential a force as a god could exist without leaving unambiguous evidence. I suspect not, but then, I've made no effort to predict such evidence.

The second question is whether it is reasonable to expect others to believe in something given said absence of evidence. Can logic be twisted so far as to make absence of evidence evidence for existence? Surely not.

All this leads the skeptical logician towards an agnosticism (i.e. it is not possible to know for certain) that leads towards atheism (seems more unlikely than likely). I think that's where most of the regular participants in the atheism forum find themselves.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#147314 Jan 6, 2013
Ah but that argument falls flat because according to the ancient sheep herders telling their campfire bible stories there was plenty of proof for god. He even walked among them spoke and performed miracles. So if this were true and not just folk tale why can't the same happen today? Or last year? Or the last 2000 years? Maybe cameras scare god lol!

Bottom line of they with their meager knowledge and resources available could accurately observe him so should we. Unless it was just a myth.

So once again. Why should anyone accept god as anything more than the product of someone's imagination?

Lame dodge, insult and redirection coming in 5..4..3..2...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#147315 Jan 6, 2013
I figured you to be earring voices in your head. Maybe you should get something for those. And I know it's hard for you to believe but nobody else can hear those voices in your head no matter how clear they are to you.

Perhaps all the so called bible prophets had schizophrenia like RR there but just the people at the time didn't understand. That would be much more plausible than a real supernatural deity yes?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Read the bible"?
HA! Try understanding the bible. Contrary to what atheists think, it isn't a novel.
Lots of us have seen God's evidence. Personally, I have felt God's presence & heard His voice.
That's proof enough!
pssst: keep waiting...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#147316 Jan 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, it kinda is.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#147317 Jan 6, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Back.
Elliptical trainer and stationary bike.
Then situps.
Now waffles.
Belgian?

Long Beach, CA

#147318 Jan 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Belgian?
Frozen. Costco.

But real maple syrup on them.

And a cup of strong French roast.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#147319 Jan 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Denying your claim is not making a claim, therefore it is your responsibility to support your own claim with evidence. Since it's your claim, you have to do it.
Wouldn't it be nice if anyone could get away with making claims without any evidence to support them? Imagine the world where bigfoot is real and hunting is banned in the Northwest to protect it, alien abductions happen to everyone and insurance has to pay for it, it is actually the other person's fault on all cases, and it really isn't their drugs. You think you get a free pass, well, you don't anymore. Where is your evidence.
Wouldn't it be nice?

MrCharlieDarwin posted:

"Atheism = belief depending on evidence"

I asked him where his evidence is.

His claim, not mine.

Try again?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr J RULES 23,262
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr woodtick57 2,618
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 2 hr Dee 41
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr _Bad Company 1,458
God' existence 3 hr thetruth 86
$13.5m for jehovah’s witness sex victim 3 hr thetruth 3
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 7 hr thetruth 10
More from around the web