Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#147253 Jan 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're less likely to get in an accident in a plane. However, I'd say it's probably a safe bet to state that you're more likely to live through a car crash than a plane crash.
More people die in automobile crashes than airplane crashes, yes. People also drive far more often than they fly.
I included part of that point. ;) It's actually the real reason they don't let helicopters be flown without a ton of regulation, they don't want the airways to become as cluttered, and therefore accident prone, as our roadways.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#147254 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>"Properly" executed, I wasn't talking about properly, was I? ;)

The other thing is fuel burn is factored in, but rapid depressurization is factored only as much as possible, there are always miscalculations in that aspect, you can't test for what you do not expect. I also qualified it with "small" jet engine, it's the same concept of the jet engine too, compressed air forced through a smaller opening. My scenario doesn't just happen in movies, because I gave a bunch of factors and possibilities, not a scenario. The only reason planes are as safe as they are now is because the engineers try to work on preventing the worst case scenarios, but even an engineer won't ever say it's perfectly safe. It's still the safest way to travel, but considering that there are way fewer planes in the air than cars on the ground, it's not surprising.
Still, if you're talking about a bullet, or even a shotgun blast, through a fuselage, it will not cause the loss of control you suggest.

You can see from the articles that I posted that even with a massive and sudden loss of cabin air, the weight is not a factor, nor is the thrust.

These planes weigh tens or hundred of thousands of pounds. The air inside simply does not have the mass to significantly overcome that inertia.

And if the decompression is explosive, as in those with whole sections of fuselage blown out, whatever thrust there is lasts for mere seconds.

If its Fromm a billet hole, it's minuscule.

Still, gunfire aboard a high flying, pressurized aircraft is not recommended unless absolutely necessary.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#147255 Jan 5, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lie, RR, not lay.
Hey, early Saturday shift?
Oh ya, lie... My awful.

Yup, gotsta work one weekend a month.

Doth sucketh.

Location hidden

#147256 Jan 5, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Still, if you're talking about a bullet, or even a shotgun blast, through a fuselage, it will not cause the loss of control you suggest.
You can see from the articles that I posted that even with a massive and sudden loss of cabin air, the weight is not a factor, nor is the thrust.
These planes weigh tens or hundred of thousands of pounds. The air inside simply does not have the mass to significantly overcome that inertia.
And if the decompression is explosive, as in those with whole sections of fuselage blown out, whatever thrust there is lasts for mere seconds.
If its Fromm a billet hole, it's minuscule.
Still, gunfire aboard a high flying, pressurized aircraft is not recommended unless absolutely necessary.
Cool!

So rednecks can have their guns as carry ons.

Location hidden

#147257 Jan 5, 2013
A priest, a rabbi and a vicar walk into a bar. The barman says,''Is this some kind of joke?''

=======

A sandwich walks into a bar. The barman says ''Sorry we don't serve food in here''

=======

Dyslexic man walks into a bra.....

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#147258 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>I included part of that point. ;) It's actually the real reason they don't let helicopters be flown without a ton of regulation, they don't want the airways to become as cluttered, and therefore accident prone, as our roadways.
Helicopters fly under pretty much the same regs as airplanes.

And they actually have much less restrictive requirements concerning where they can land.

You don't see more helicopters because they are much more expensive and extremely maintenance intensive.

They're also harder to fly. Kind of like rubbing you tummy while patting your head.

It's also said that helicopters don't fly. They're just so ugly, the earth repels them.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#147259 Jan 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Cool!

So rednecks can have their guns as carry ons.
I'll leave that to the air Marshall's.

But you're welcome to try to get aboard with yours.

Mind if I take video?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#147260 Jan 5, 2013
Tacitus -

""Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in JudŠa, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind."

Note the descriptions --

"a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace"

"a most mischievous superstition"

"hatred against mankind"

Interesting that this is the shining example of a non-Christian reference to Christianity.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#147261 Jan 5, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Helicopters fly under pretty much the same regs as airplanes.
And they actually have much less restrictive requirements concerning where they can land.
You don't see more helicopters because they are much more expensive and extremely maintenance intensive.
They're also harder to fly. Kind of like rubbing you tummy while patting your head.
It's also said that helicopters don't fly. They're just so ugly, the earth repels them.
I was comparing them to cars, not planes.

But that joke was pretty good.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#147262 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>I was comparing them to cars, not planes.

But that joke was pretty good.
Gotcha.

And thanks.:)

Location hidden

#147263 Jan 5, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll leave that to the air Marshall's.
But you're welcome to try to get aboard with yours.
Mind if I take video?
LMAO!

I'll try...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#147264 Jan 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You're less likely to get in an accident in a plane. However, I'd say it's probably a safe bet to state that you're more likely to live through a car crash than a plane crash.

More people die in automobile crashes than airplane crashes, yes. People also drive far more often than they fly.
Just to qualify that, you're safer in an airliner than in a car.

Light planes are about equivalent to motorcycles.

Location hidden

#147265 Jan 5, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
Tacitus -
""Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in JudŠa, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind."
Note the descriptions --
"a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace"
"a most mischievous superstition"
"hatred against mankind"
Interesting that this is the shining example of a non-Christian reference to Christianity.
Oh ya, shining....

Like the "fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures" part.

All y'alls is the same.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#147266 Jan 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ya, shining....
Like the "fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures" part.
All y'alls is the same.
No, I think that's horrid. But I'm not the one who tries to use this as a reference for Christianity.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#147267 Jan 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't watch it with kids, there's boobies & bush 2 minutes into it...
Just a friendly warning.
Good movie - John Goodman was hilarious & Denzel is the man, as usual.
They've seen that.

No biggie.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#147268 Jan 5, 2013
Inablility to refute proven data. Check.
Lane Christian dodge technique employed when thy know they are losing badly. Check.
Idiot thinks a real news source not some random apologetic opinion piece is not solid. Check.

All this from an idiot who thinks Catholics are not Christian but then says the Catholic Church is the largest Christian church. Check.

Yes half wit as usual I have factually dismantled you. Hey we all know you will fail miserably but for laughs, show us this historical proof for Jesus. Not people's opinion or them saying there is proof but actual historical proof. It will be fun to humiliate you even further half wit.

And go!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's nice.
I meant present evidence, not your worthless opinion.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#147269 Jan 5, 2013
The James brother of Jesus box has been soundly proven as a hoax. By Christian scholars no less followed up and verified by Jewish scholars and secular scholars.

Even several Christian groups have denounced it as an attempt to manipulate the faithful.

At this point like the shroud of Turin only rubes believe it is accurate. Cough cough.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding?
A news article?
no, wait - A news article from San Fransisco?!?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! !!!!!!
<COUGH>
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#147270 Jan 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
I'll try...
Another thread where you squat? 24-7 is Dad of the year. Arm them and hide behind your computer all day. Disgusting.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#147271 Jan 5, 2013
Three more dead in Aurora.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#147272 Jan 5, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
Three more dead in Aurora.
Three more dead in Afghanistan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 6 min yup 105
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 7 min Thinking 4,103
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 472
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Richardfs 22,242
Stump a theist with 2 questions 2 hr Thinking 62
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 11 hr Patrick 762
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 14 hr Thinking 77
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE