Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
141,301 - 141,320 of 224,087 Comments Last updated 17 min ago

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Adam wrote:
I think this gun debate is clearly polarised geographically. Brits, and also perhaps east coast liberals, like stronger gun laws. Those from the bible belt and middle America, think the more guns the better.
I would be interested in seeing those demographic stats.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not concerned about your safety?
Don't wear seat belts?
Don't use a handrail on stairs?
Don't look both ways before crossing the street?
Don't lock your doors at night?
uh-huh...
You're concerned about your safety, you just don't like guns. Admit it.
Hey you are the on who claimed a gun kept YOU safe. Not your children or anyone else’s children but YOU, you selfish moron.

We were talking about MURDER weapons, not common sense.

It is not common sense to point a loaded weapon designed to kill people at a child’s head and pull the trigger, that does not stop guns being used in that way but it is most certainly not common sense

That is so typical of a MURDER weapon lover to fall back on citing common sense precautions as the reason he owns a gun. What total bollocks - you own a gun because you are a weak minded moron who wants to feel like a big macho man.

It’s not that I dislike guns, they have their place in the military and even when adequately monitored in “official” security situations (but even that fail as is shown by the Swiss murder statistics).

What I do dislike is the morons like you who make false claims (something you do often) about what you are unwilling to consider. Those ignorant morons who see guns as a comfort in the arms race they call their life

Life has much more to offer than living in fear of some dickhead like you having a mental breakdown and shooting someone’s children.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you quote the (version you want) of the bible exactly as it was written.
BUT - You don't understand the meaning of what you're quoting.
Yes any one of the 50 odd different versions written in English. That of course does not include those hundreds written pre KJV and those written in other languages. ALL claim to be right so which do you want me to quote from in future?

BTW. I have seen you quote 3 different versions (possibly more, not taking much notice) you hypocritical fool

Wrong, the meaning is written in words one after the other and verses one after the other and books one after the other. The meaning is given in linear fashion as in a book (which is is), not a random access database (which it is not).

What p|sses you off is that I don’t “interpret” meanings as you do, by jumping back and fourth through 4000 years of time to find bits that make sense to you as you find so comforting to suite you personal interpretation.

Of course I understand the meaning, I have shown you the verses that the god (and his buddies) you worship is an egotistical, genocidal, child murdering, condoner of slavery, apologist for rape misogynist with a bad temper.

And what have you provided in reply, passages from some 4000 years later.

You are so delusional and sad

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text> Recognizing reality qualifies one as a "nutcase"? Being prepared for any eventually to survive transforms me into the equivalent of a child killer? Good luck to you if the shit ever hits the fan in your lifetime.
Hey if you have a mental paddy you are capable of any act, if you carry a gun that makes the mayhem you can cause so much easier (and incidentally more removed from reality)

It’s hard to murder someone in cold blood when you do not have a weapon to do it for you second hand.

Personally I don’t need to worry that some dipshit freebird with personal issues is packing and on the edge of shooting my childen

What you worry about is up to you.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Getting rid of guns will not prevent children from getting murdered, or anyone for that matter.
Nope but it will get rid of children being murdered with guns

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>That is true.
Yes it’s true, people can flip their lid whether they are armed or not

The difference is that if you flip you lid when you are not armed then you can’t shoot people.

If you are determined to kill someone then you have to get close and personal to do it and it is also true that not so many people are capable of doing that even when the perp is mentally disturbed

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
The courts in the USA are different. Crimes are judged largely on the amount of wealth and power you have.
A poor person is more likely to be imprisoned than a middle-class person and the wealthy are rarley convincted, and those that are will usually be put in luxury hotels that are prisons only in name.
So is the inequality perpetuated by the US justice system responsible for gun crime being so rife in the US?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I cry over all the paper and clay I so terribly mutilate by guns every year. Not to mention the tasty animals brought home every fall and winter.
Aww poor dear, it’s only clay and paper, don’t get upset.

Yes a person can use a gun to kill animals just as efficiently as they can use it to kill people.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do I need a reason ?
What will I use when the civil war starts, when people get sick of being raped by politicians ?
Really?

Is that the level of paranoia you live with every day?

That's sad.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I would be interested in seeing those demographic stats.
There is no argument for Britain, guns are highly regulated, ownership of handguns is illegal, even for sporting purposes.

However this more or less ties in with the middle America babble belt theme
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BmJ0sd4XzTA/UBGlpDV...
With the added huntin, shootin n fishin further up north

And this one correlates the number of gun deaths
http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybea...

And the babble belt
http://cdn.theatlanticcities.com/img/upload/2...

Not an exact match but pretty close

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. But still no reason to own military style assult weapons.
I have a good reason... because the military owns them..
I wonder if anything ever happened in our recent history where a government removed guns from the populace and then commenced to commit atrocities against them.. Care to take a guess as to who did tht?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope but it will get rid of children being murdered with guns
If you really think so.
http://www.havocscope.com/tag/arms-traffickin...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text> Which doesn't exclude the practioners from self serving barbaric behavior.
There are always "throwbacks" and various flaws in the development of the brain which do cause such, yes. But in general, humans want to do what's right by the species, even if they don't want to actually figure out what's right through logic.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in my day.
"More stupid" was the only proper usage.
I guess we've had to dumb down the English language for dolts like you.
Lol, I guess it's dumber now....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Guns don't kill people.
Bullets do.
<shaking head>
Is that "live" ammo?

Or is it "alive" ammo?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I have heard that "Oh god, Oh god!!!"
It's a satisfying thing to hear.
That's why it's called the G spot.

:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, guns kill people, violence doesn't always kill people. YOu are once again using that typical creationist tactic of shifting the goalposts.
Violence doesn't always kill people.

Neither do guns.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey you are the on who claimed a gun kept YOU safe. Not your children or anyone else’s children but YOU, you selfish moron.
We were talking about MURDER weapons, not common sense.
It is not common sense to point a loaded weapon designed to kill people at a child’s head and pull the trigger, that does not stop guns being used in that way but it is most certainly not common sense
That is so typical of a MURDER weapon lover to fall back on citing common sense precautions as the reason he owns a gun. What total bollocks - you own a gun because you are a weak minded moron who wants to feel like a big macho man.
It’s not that I dislike guns, they have their place in the military and even when adequately monitored in “official” security situations (but even that fail as is shown by the Swiss murder statistics).
What I do dislike is the morons like you who make false claims (something you do often) about what you are unwilling to consider. Those ignorant morons who see guns as a comfort in the arms race they call their life
Life has much more to offer than living in fear of some dickhead like you having a mental breakdown and shooting someone’s children.
Your biggest misconception is that gun owners, specifically those that have guns for home protection, live in fear.

It's not living in fear, not at all. It's acknowledging that threats exist and using whatever means you can to protect yourself from those threats.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
With a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time.
After my father died, I was cleaning out his garage and I found my Daisy BB gun that I got for Christmas probably a little older than Ralphie, but in exactly the same manner. Mom against it. All presents opened. No gun. Then "something" behind the couch over there.
ha, ha, ha, I still have mine too but it no longer shoots.

Dad should have never let me have that thing.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
Vladimir Lenin

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr DonPanic 21,384
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr Charchar king 192
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr religionisillness 834
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 5 hr religionisillness 361
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 11 hr Patrick 16
Of Interest InTheNews 11 hr Patrick 3
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... Wed Patrick 1,285
•••
•••