Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
141,261 - 141,280 of 224,351 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
This is the very reason why you didn’t need an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle for Christmas!
- Ralphie in A Christmas Story
You’ll Shoot your eye out!!!
I shoot lots of eyes out, with my potato gun.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
I never figured out if it was Paris France, Paris Texas, or Paris Hilton.
I'll give you a hint, Eagle.

It's the location of the Louvre Museum.

You can figure it out with a little research.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
I'll give you a hint, Eagle.
It's the location of the Louvre Museum.
You can figure it out with a little research.
Is it open as often as Paris Hilton's legs?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it open as often as Paris Hilton's legs?
I'm not sure.

But I do know that it costs more to get in.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never gone out of my way to ask people who say, "Oh God," if they are an atheist or a Christian because it is a habit instilled by society that has nothing to do with the existence of God. I do not say it because the people around me do not say it often. People who are around people who say it often are, however, more likely to say it.
Perhaps you are right.... and I must say I don't ask anyone if they are an Atheist or a Christian, or in fact any other Religion or Faith. I can usually tell in forums who is who by the responses to my postings; for some reason, Atheists don't like what I post and accordingly, their replies reflect their feelings. This is regardless of what I write about....

We have a show down here "The Biggest Loser" and I think we followed on from the American version, but they face their fears towards the end of the show, and a lot of them have fear of heights. They had them swinging high in the mountains and all of them were calling out "Oh God" or "Oh my God" and there had not been any references to God during the whole show. They were not all in the same place at the same time, either, but perhaps you are right, they had heard it and it simply came to mind when no other words would describe their experiences :)

I believe also that tears are a way of expressing our feelings when mere words will not suffice; which is why we can cry for so many different reasons. I also love the emotions of our emotions..

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never gone out of my way to ask people who say, "Oh God," if they are an atheist or a Christian because it is a habit instilled by society that has nothing to do with the existence of God. I do not say it because the people around me do not say it often. People who are around people who say it often are, however, more likely to say it.
Ahhh.... I just realised that you do hear people say "Oh God" where as in your other posting I sort of got the impression you didn't hear it said. Oh Dear God is often said in times of tragedy and in a different way than Oh God in times of excitement and happiness :)

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So just like RR you too consider that everyone should and does think exactly as you do. Perhaps you have not noticed that our past disagreements disprove that childish notion.
Most people are fine, civilised and have no though of wanting to see children murdered. However, as recent events show, there are individuals who are sick in the head for one reason or another and you have no control over who that individual is or what they will do yet you consider it perfectly fine to arm then.
It seems to me that gun owners in the US (and elsewhere) are perfectly willing to accept those consequences and yet a considerable number would balk and object (often violently) to abortion.
Smacks to me of double standards.
Getting rid of guns will not prevent children from getting murdered, or anyone for that matter.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I would say that is historically correct , using the wars in which guns were used. Nearly all major empires were Christian.
But in opposition to these empires have been Muslim and Hindu as well as *Atheist Empires (If Russia/China is considered atheist)
But to be fair if it weren't Christians killing people with guns.
You would be in a Russian/Chinese Muslim or Hindu Empire.
So what is your point? Would you prefer a completely different world?
It almost seems as if some people wish that weapons were never invented and that man originally hunted for food with nerf toys.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>It almost seems as if some people wish that weapons were never invented and that man originally hunted for food with nerf toys.
LOL I mean! The reality is that these new 3D printers are going to make gun control an impossible feat to achieve. This means only security will be a deterrent.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

OK... because weaker idiots try to force their god on us.
tip wrote:
<quoted text>
Weaker.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL I mean! The reality is that these new 3D printers are going to make gun control an impossible feat to achieve. This means only security will be a deterrent.
True but what type of security?

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Getting rid of guns will not prevent children from getting murdered, or anyone for that matter.
That is true.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I have experience and I have ears.... I have heard it myself!! I am sure that you would have heard people call out "Oh God" or "Dear God" but if you haven't, then I guess you haven't experienced any Dear God moments!! Nothing to do with being an Atheist at all :)
I experience OMFG moments every day.

Right here.

I'm having one right now.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>This is the very reason why you didnÂ’t need an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle for Christmas!

- Ralphie in A Christmas Story

YouÂ’ll Shoot your eye out!!!
With a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time.

After my father died, I was cleaning out his garage and I found my Daisy BB gun that I got for Christmas probably a little older than Ralphie, but in exactly the same manner. Mom against it. All presents opened. No gun. Then "something" behind the couch over there.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Getting rid of guns will not prevent children from getting murdered, or anyone for that matter.
Wrong, guns kill people. By reducing the the number of guns in a particular are inhabitated by humans you will reduce the likelihood of children being shot accidentally.

It doesn't surprise me that you're pro gun as well, another tickbox next to creationist liar.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Ahhh.... I just realised that you do hear people say "Oh God" where as in your other posting I sort of got the impression you didn't hear it said. Oh Dear God is often said in times of tragedy and in a different way than Oh God in times of excitement and happiness :)
You need to prove your god before you open your trap again god liar.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, guns kill people. By reducing the the number of guns in a particular are inhabitated by humans you will reduce the likelihood of children being shot accidentally.
It doesn't surprise me that you're pro gun as well, another tickbox next to creationist liar.
First you need to prove that I am a creationist. Second you need to prove that I am a liar. Third there are only an average of 851 accidental shootings per year in the U.S.
With a population of 311,591,917 the odds, according to the current average, of accidentally shooting a child is almost nil.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>First you need to prove that I am a creationist. Second you need to prove that I am a liar. Third there are only an average of 851 accidental shootings per year in the U.S.
With a population of 311,591,917 the odds, according to the current average, of accidentally shooting a child is almost nil.
First you need to sh*t the f*ck up. There are no further steps creationist.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>First you need to prove that I am a creationist. Second you need to prove that I am a liar. Third there are only an average of 851 accidental shootings per year in the U.S.
The incidence of homicides committed with a firearm in the US is much greater than most other advanced countries. In the United States in 2009 United Nations statistics record 3.0 intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants; for comparison, the figure for the United Kingdom, with where handguns are prohibited was 0.07 per 100,000, about 40 times lower, and for Germany 0.2.[42]

All pro gun people are idiots. Fact.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Its proven that your population cannot be trusted with handguns.

Thats what the stats and the headlines show.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr NightSerf 240
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 6 hr Patrick 385
What does "Atheism" mean? 7 hr Reason Personified 10
Introducing The Universal Religion 8 hr Reason Personified 733
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 13 hr DonPanic 21,400
Talking some sense into you people... 14 hr religionisillness 24
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 15 hr religionisillness 19
•••
•••