Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#146852 Jan 2, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why do you reject so much of it?
I don't. What are you talking about?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#146853 Jan 2, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but you are also forgetting about the immense amount of time that these changes were supposed to occur over. Beyond that, if your argument is one of incredulity over how evolution works, then you must not believe in the existence of any matter, because how atoms work is even more far-fetched than how evolution produced sentient beings.
Agreed. Just as far fetched as evolution producing atoms.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#146854 Jan 2, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Free will can't exist if God already knows the future and fate, remember?
Ya right, like a song can't exist if you know the words.....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#146855 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Our computers have that too. Again, "complex" is a relative term. We understand it, that was my point. We can understand a lot of complex things, it's sort of the only real difference between us and the other animals, it's our one gift to the animal kingdom, if we start to actually use it instead of just giving more animal like non-answers like "god dun it."
Well ya we understand it, that doesn't mean it isn't complex.

And no, there is no computer the size of a human brain that can do what it does.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#146856 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A song is predetermined once established, so you actually provided evidence that demonstrates free will cannot exist if the actions are already known, because once it's known, it's predetermined, just like a song.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#146857 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, and what you posted wasn't? What makes your opinion on the matter more valid?
Simple. I have awesomeness. You don't

:)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#146858 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution says nothing of atomic theory, and the theory of evolution does not expand into that field either.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#146859 Jan 2, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So every living thing that breathed and crawled upon the surface of the earth except for Noah et. al. was NOT killed in the flood?
If the story of Noah and the Flood is symbolic, then no. It's symbolic.

Let me be clear - I don't KNOW this, it's just what I believe...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#146860 Jan 2, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
There is much you don't see.
Then you agree.

Good.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#146861 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Desert nomads? No, no, no...
I will not accept the unfounded claim that all life on Earth came from one single-celled organism. That's the assumptive nature of ToE that doesn't wit quit right with me and many others.
There is obvious design in all aspects of life. The human brain is an exquisite example.
The human brain is the most complicated structure in the known universe. It contains over 100 billion cells, each with over 50,000 neuron connections to other brain cells.
This structure receives over 100 million separate signals from the total human body every second. If we learned something new every second of our lives, it would take three million years to exhaust the capacity of the human brain.
In addition to conscious thought, people can actually reason, anticipate consequences, and devise plans – all without knowing they are doing so.
And you still haven't learned to use it.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#146862 Jan 2, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>"Got to pass the bill to find out what is in it."
Now who said that?
That was the lovely and talented Nancy Pelosi!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#146863 Jan 2, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was at Uni I ran into some Swedes. Curiosity got the better of and I had to ask them they where here (I mean here of all places). To which I got an answer that blew my socks off.
Apparently in Sweden if you can gain entrance to any university in the world and that uni is a leader some field or other, then the Swedish government will fully fund you.
The idea is that when you return to Sweden you bring back the best from around the world.
BTW Why were you out here, holiday?
That sounds like a very smart plan!

I was there on business and hope to return!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#146864 Jan 2, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
...followed by...
<quoted text>
Well, so much for wishing the government out of your daily life then.
<quoted text>
Obviously in a civil society you must have laws which apply to everyone.
<quoted text>
True. But the sticky part is for society to determine what murder is. And that changes over time. Is abortion murder? Is euthanasia? If you kill someone in self-defense? Ect ect.
Yes, running, guiding, solidifying, or whatever you would like to call it, a society has got to be one of the toughest tasks to accomplish! In fact, I don't think any country has done a decent job, yet. Things work for a bit, but you cannot have much freedom or growth if society is locked in time.

Marijuana and gay marriage will be commonplace soon. Once states start to break away from the 'norm', the rest of the country soon follows.

Firearms and countries will be come a thing of the past, but that is a long way off.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#146865 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. But some of your anti-theist cohorts think that a scientist MUST be an atheist.
I guess they've never heard of Isaac Newton.
You guys always jump into the WayBack Machine! You know that there are many scientists, who are christian {believers}, today?

I am not sure why, but there are. Obviously, most of them throw out the 6000-year-old Earth, realize that evolution is the best answer to explain what is known, so on and so forth.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#146866 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
When you learn the difference between physics and biology, you will understand how utterly stupid your last post was.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#146867 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, more like you can't make up a song if you already know the words.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#146868 Jan 2, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Perhaps Adam left out the part where he was eating all those mushrooms right before the met that snake?
Psst! I don't think Adam ever met the snake! What happened was, Eve ate the mushrooms and smoked some hash, man! Then she, naked as a jaybird and knowing it, walks up to Adam and says, "You have a little d*ck if you don't eat this."

And that is how the 'little d*ck' insult started! Swear to god!

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#146869 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Gah! Atomic theory is insane. I can't figure any of it out myself. lol
So it must not be true, right? Lol.

San Francisco

#146870 Jan 2, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Perhaps Adam left out the part where he was eating all those mushrooms right before the met that snake?
I don't think Adam met the snake; it was Eve who saw talking snakes.

San Francisco

#146871 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution didn't produce atoms.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 9 hr Morse 2,615
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 9 hr SnuffAGlobalist 18
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 hr Morse 23,260
$13.5m for jehovah’s witness sex victim 13 hr P_Smith 2
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 13 hr P_Smith 9
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 16 hr Morse 1,455
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 17 hr thetruth 168
More from around the web