Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238888 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#146860 Jan 2, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
There is much you don't see.
Then you agree.

Good.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#146861 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Desert nomads? No, no, no...
I will not accept the unfounded claim that all life on Earth came from one single-celled organism. That's the assumptive nature of ToE that doesn't wit quit right with me and many others.
There is obvious design in all aspects of life. The human brain is an exquisite example.
The human brain is the most complicated structure in the known universe. It contains over 100 billion cells, each with over 50,000 neuron connections to other brain cells.
This structure receives over 100 million separate signals from the total human body every second. If we learned something new every second of our lives, it would take three million years to exhaust the capacity of the human brain.
In addition to conscious thought, people can actually reason, anticipate consequences, and devise plans all without knowing they are doing so.
And you still haven't learned to use it.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#146862 Jan 2, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>"Got to pass the bill to find out what is in it."
Now who said that?
That was the lovely and talented Nancy Pelosi!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#146863 Jan 2, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was at Uni I ran into some Swedes. Curiosity got the better of and I had to ask them they where here (I mean here of all places). To which I got an answer that blew my socks off.
Apparently in Sweden if you can gain entrance to any university in the world and that uni is a leader some field or other, then the Swedish government will fully fund you.
The idea is that when you return to Sweden you bring back the best from around the world.
BTW Why were you out here, holiday?
That sounds like a very smart plan!

I was there on business and hope to return!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#146864 Jan 2, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
...followed by...
<quoted text>
Well, so much for wishing the government out of your daily life then.
<quoted text>
Obviously in a civil society you must have laws which apply to everyone.
<quoted text>
True. But the sticky part is for society to determine what murder is. And that changes over time. Is abortion murder? Is euthanasia? If you kill someone in self-defense? Ect ect.
Yes, running, guiding, solidifying, or whatever you would like to call it, a society has got to be one of the toughest tasks to accomplish! In fact, I don't think any country has done a decent job, yet. Things work for a bit, but you cannot have much freedom or growth if society is locked in time.

Marijuana and gay marriage will be commonplace soon. Once states start to break away from the 'norm', the rest of the country soon follows.

Firearms and countries will be come a thing of the past, but that is a long way off.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#146865 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. But some of your anti-theist cohorts think that a scientist MUST be an atheist.
I guess they've never heard of Isaac Newton.
You guys always jump into the WayBack Machine! You know that there are many scientists, who are christian {believers}, today?

I am not sure why, but there are. Obviously, most of them throw out the 6000-year-old Earth, realize that evolution is the best answer to explain what is known, so on and so forth.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#146866 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. Just as far fetched as evolution producing atoms.
When you learn the difference between physics and biology, you will understand how utterly stupid your last post was.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#146867 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya right, like a song can't exist if you know the words.....
No, more like you can't make up a song if you already know the words.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#146868 Jan 2, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Perhaps Adam left out the part where he was eating all those mushrooms right before the met that snake?
Psst! I don't think Adam ever met the snake! What happened was, Eve ate the mushrooms and smoked some hash, man! Then she, naked as a jaybird and knowing it, walks up to Adam and says, "You have a little d*ck if you don't eat this."

And that is how the 'little d*ck' insult started! Swear to god!

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#146869 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Gah! Atomic theory is insane. I can't figure any of it out myself. lol
So it must not be true, right? Lol.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#146870 Jan 2, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Perhaps Adam left out the part where he was eating all those mushrooms right before the met that snake?
I don't think Adam met the snake; it was Eve who saw talking snakes.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#146871 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. Just as far fetched as evolution producing atoms.
Evolution didn't produce atoms.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#146872 Jan 2, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Psst! I don't think Adam ever met the snake! What happened was, Eve ate the mushrooms and smoked some hash, man! Then she, naked as a jaybird and knowing it, walks up to Adam and says, "You have a little d*ck if you don't eat this."
And that is how the 'little d*ck' insult started! Swear to god!
That's the most believable version of the story I have ever seen.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#146873 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya right, like a song can't exist if you know the words.....
What does that have to do with God and free will?

If God knows you will do X, can you do Y instead?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#146874 Jan 2, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys always jump into the WayBack Machine! You know that there are many scientists, who are christian {believers}, today?
I am not sure why, but there are. Obviously, most of them throw out the 6000-year-old Earth, realize that evolution is the best answer to explain what is known, so on and so forth.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!

"evolution is the best answer to explain what is known"

You should quit your day job!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#146875 Jan 2, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
When you learn the difference between physics and biology, you will understand how utterly stupid your last post was.
Yup. You people all have the same comeback:

"You're dumb."

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#146876 Jan 2, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, more like you can't make up a song if you already know the words.
Not if there's an infinite way of how the song goes.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#146877 Jan 2, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, running, guiding, solidifying, or whatever you would like to call it, a society has got to be one of the toughest tasks to accomplish! In fact, I don't think any country has done a decent job, yet. Things work for a bit, but you cannot have much freedom or growth if society is locked in time.
Marijuana and gay marriage will be commonplace soon. Once states start to break away from the 'norm', the rest of the country soon follows.
Firearms and countries will be come a thing of the past, but that is a long way off.
Drug laws are a perfect example the fact that you can't pass laws against things you don't like and expect that to get rid of it. The only thing our drugs laws have managed to do is funnel money to prisons and drug cartels. Regulate drugs. Take the profit margin out of it, and stop sending people to jail only to train them to be better criminals by the time they are released.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#146878 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the most believable version of the story I have ever seen.
Thank you!

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#146879 Jan 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. You people all have the same comeback:
"You're dumb."
Well, to be fair, most of your arguments against known science are from incredulity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 25 min Eagle 12 7,180
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 2 hr superwilly 80
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 8 hr karl44 7,431
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 10 hr thetruth 29
News .com | What hope is there without God? Wed Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed thetruth 2,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Tue Kathleen 19,031
More from around the web