Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#146496 Jan 1, 2013
If you don't think that cause of death is related to gun control, then why did you bring it up in the first place?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
To point out that all this BS about gun control is pretty pointless. Considering the percentage of deaths caused by guns versus everything else is minor.
Except, which you seem to have so quickly forgotten, it's not a "minor" percentage of deaths when you're dealing with people 44 and younger. It's one of the top causes of death.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#146497 Jan 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Your previous post showed just accidental deaths, not accidental deaths by gun.
Which *included* accidental deaths by gun. Funny you left out the part about suicide and homicide.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#146498 Jan 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That many whats?
It's a linguine cause error, the browser doesn't display all the characters, and thus when saved to the database, unless the database is configured to handle them, they will show up as their unicode values in text.#65536 is the last unicode value, the website likely used that as a "splitter" character and didn't bother filtering it on their output, so the copy then paste included that character though it was not visible to him.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#146499 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a linguine cause error, the browser doesn't display all the characters, and thus when saved to the database, unless the database is configured to handle them, they will show up as their unicode values in text.#65536 is the last unicode value, the website likely used that as a "splitter" character and didn't bother filtering it on their output, so the copy then paste included that character though it was not visible to him.
Thanks. I think.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#146500 Jan 1, 2013
I &#9829; River.

&#9786;

Embrace the grey.

#146502 Jan 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Thanks. I think.
&#9786;

That's supposed to be a smiley face.

Long Beach, CA

#146503 Jan 1, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
I &#9829; River.
&#9786;
Now you're confusing me, Tide.

Fiscal cliff vote coming up in the House, stay tuned.

Embrace the grey.

#146504 Jan 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Have you seen Cliffhanger?

Someone will step up and be the hero. Maybe it will be the one you least expect, or maybe, just maybe, it will be the person you most expect, just maybe.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#146505 Jan 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, welcome to my world!!

You never did tell me what a fiscal cliff was. I don't know what I'm waiting for.

Long Beach, CA

#146506 Jan 1, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
You never did tell me what a fiscal cliff was. I don't know what I'm waiting for.
Clementine!!

What a breath of fresh air.

Don't worry about the fiscal cliff, I have it under control.

Let's concern ourselves with more important stuff.

Location hidden

#146507 Jan 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
The only reason people want to carry guns is because they have small d*cks.

The gun is essentially an extension of the pen*s.

Which is why its mostly macho american lunatics that wave their aks in the air on tv.
"The only reason people want to carry guns is because they have small d*cks"

These is obvious some thing you're very familiar with. How many guns did you carry before your lock up?

Nice seeing you've earned computer time Sepitc.

Location hidden

#146509 Jan 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>The penis, mightier than the sword.
Unless the water is cold. Then the sword kind of wins over.

Location hidden

#146510 Jan 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
The point of it all is that a knife takes effort to kill someone and that a knife is useful for cutting vegetables.

Guns only have one purpose and that is to kill. If you are an unimaginative and fearful hobbyless drone and want to shoot some stupid ass targets targets, grow some balls and use a bow and arrow like a real man.

Buy having guns so freely in a society of idiots, no wonder you guys kill each other more than any country in the "free" world.

So simple to have a solution and yet you pour your sh*t high school story shootings over the world press every f*cking year like infantile idiots.
"Guns only have one purpose and that is to kill."

Tell that to the Trap shooters, skeet shooters, Olympic Biathlon shooters.

Or how about shooting holes in all the street signs durning hunting seasons.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#146511 Jan 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Clementine!!
What a breath of fresh air.
Don't worry about the fiscal cliff, I have it under control.
Let's concern ourselves with more important stuff.
What, fresh like Aero mint mousse? Mmmm.....

There's something more important than the fiscal cliff? That sounded pretty damn important to me.

OMG, OMG, does this mean we're under attack by squid aliens from the planet octovun???????

Location hidden

#146512 Jan 1, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>If you try to ban Cheetos mister, you're in for the fight of your life!:)
The Orange stained fingers all around the world agree with you.

Location hidden

#146513 Jan 1, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>How much damage can a flaccid sword inflict?
Death if it's carrying the right STD.

Embrace the grey.

#146514 Jan 1, 2013
Clementia wrote:
This poem is metaphorical. If you can tell me what it's about, I'll give you a prize.

Tisk tisk,
you know not what you risk,
with your blathering and ramble,
you talk too much to gamble,
your game is in distraction,
mine is addition, not subtraction,
I'll take your money,
take your time,
raise me a nickel,
I'll raise a dime,
for whoever has the most to lose,
loses whoever luck decides to choose,
I was never in danger,
with my lowly pair of twos.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#146515 Jan 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
We're working on that, too.
Not to froce them (whatever that means), but to educate and inform.
I volunteered to call the bingo numbers at a nursing home once. I didn't realize the implications of being on an elevated stage. I wasn't wearing underwear. I almost killed three old men by shooting one beaver.

;-p

Location hidden

#146516 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>I'm all for hunting, but how often does that actually happen?
A lot in Alaska.
Or if you're around Polar bears.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#146517 Jan 1, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>

I agree, but to a point. Here in America, we have had more and more people believing that they are entitled to a free life, or even a comfortable life, without contributing. Several state tried a program where instead just getting just a flat rate for unemployment, they could work for the state, a few hours a week, and get a bonus, not much of one, but better than the base pay. Most people worked for the state and they claimed that it was not for the extra money, but for the pride of earning the wage.
As wilderide’s quote says,“How do you know what you know?” I realize that I only think I know what I know. If you prove me wrong on anything I say; remember this! I try never to lie, but I have been known to know something that turned out to be false.
I know where you are coming from, here after (I think about 12 months don't quote me on that) there is a work for the dole scheme. Either you work where they send you (within reason) or you don't get paid. Does the system work, well yer most of the time. Is it perfect, show me any system which 100% efficient. At the end of the day it must be realized that some people are just unemployable. Is it their fault, who knows? But do you let people go cold and hungry? Surly one of the measures of a civilized society is how we treat the less fortunate?

BTW our scheme is federal on state run.

As I said at the out set I am an outsider looking in, so my views are both valid and invalid at the same time. Valid in that what I see is not tainted by local issues, invalid because I don't know the history and I use that as a precursor to what I am about to say.

Back in the early 1990s I was on a business to the US and was in L.A., San Fransisco, Las Gatos and St Paul. I had a great time, loved the people I worked with and the country. But the one thing that horrified me was not the crime or the drugs but the beggars on the streets. I am in no way saying that we don't have them here we do, but not in the numbers I saw in San Fransisco. You could put that down to the difference in population size of OZ verses the US. But I live in Sydney population 4.6 million it is not a small country town and we see no where near the numbers here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 min Thinking 22,229
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Reason Personified 466
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 5 hr Patrick 762
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 6 hr Patrick 4,094
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 7 hr woodtick57 100
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 8 hr Thinking 77
Stump a theist with 2 questions 12 hr TheHeadlines 58
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE