Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#146393 Jan 1, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm in touch with my feminine side.
TMI, Aero......

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#146394 Jan 1, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the point! It would be too costly to normal people to attempt on both sides.
<quoted text>
Sorry, I was not trying to force you into a false dichotomy!
<quoted text>
I wonder what would happen if we started to tighten the restrictions we already have or what the effect of new laws would have. Would people turn to other means? Would we get the firearms out of the criminal's hands? I would go into better scenarios for killing a large group of people, but I would rather not give an irrational person any help.
<quoted text>
100% agree! I am only asking that we make sure that we are making the right moves.
<quoted text>
I disagree. If you were a soldier and every time you walked the streets, one of your buddies was shot, it would start to wear on you. The numbers would always be on the side of the civilians and if they don't give up and don't join the military...
<quoted text>
Yes, we need to sit and talk it out. I would give almost anything to have those children home safe or for people to feel safe going to see a movie, but I don't want to follow blindly because of feelings. I want to do what is right.
<quoted text>
Me too! But I know people who have not be so fortunate.
<quoted text>
If by not having the problematic item, you die, what was gained? Curing the symptom does not cure the decease.
Like someone mentioned before; take the violence off the TV and out of movies, that sounds like a good start! Add a few love scenes for christ's sake! Show a set of boobies instead of a gun!
<quoted text>
;) we agree on a lot of issues! Cool heads will find a way.
{Show a set of boobies instead of a gun}!

Oh boy, that one got me laughing.:)

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#146395 Jan 1, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with that. My question is: So?
The great majority of them are purchased because they are weapons. They're much more effective for self defense and self preservation than a bag of feathers is. Regulations are in place. There are hundreds (thousands?) of laws in place that deal with firearms whether federal, state or local. Prohibition didn't work with alcohol. It doesn't work with narcotics and it won't work with guns. Prohibition creates a black market and it makes citizens criminals. It never works.
My argument is addressed specifically towards assault weapons.

In general, I have no problem with sport and target weapons.

Assault weapons are neither.

They are not accurate enough for serious competition shooting OR hunting, really.

They are not necessary for anything other than killing and the "cool" factor.
HickUp

North Augusta, SC

#146396 Jan 1, 2013
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and for 200 years, owning a firearm was not a right. The 2nd amendment is speaking about the military, not average people.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
People who say the 2nd amendment is "Right to bear arms" obviously have not read it.
So, you're smarter than the Supreme Court, prove it!

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#146397 Jan 1, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, airplanes original intent in the military was surveillance.
After a while, the pilots started to use their pistols to shoot at the enemy on the ground and then they started dropping bombs, by hand, out of the open cockpit.
"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."
- Marshal Ferdinand Foch [Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre](circa 1911)
He was Supreme Commander of Allied forces, 1918
"Aviation is good for sport, but for the Army it is useless!"
- Marshal Ferdinand Foch

The intent with guns were the same from its conception , how they are refined and used is corrupted as men themselves.
It took 9 years from the first airplane to turn it into a killing machine. We don't have that history with the gun it is lost.
But you cannot say the intent was purely to kill people in conception. The Atomic bomb was clearly designed with the intent top kill people. But the neutron bomb was designed to specifically
to only kill living things. Perhaps we should ban them? And keep the gun at least you have somewhat a chance with them and your skill./

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#146398 Jan 1, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your limit on your number of people, both doing the killing and being killed? I need to know so that I can determine what else we need to ban or restrict.
"Or do you think there haven't been enough mass murders yet." That is just downright nasty. I wouldn't have expected something like that from you.
And I would have expected you to understand the issue.

Instead you just keep spouting NRA BS like it's bible.

You can't even admit that an assault weapon is designed for killing.

Location hidden

#146400 Jan 1, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
They are not accurate enough for serious competition shooting OR hunting, really.
Yes, they sure are COOL!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#146401 Jan 1, 2013
HickUp wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you're smarter than the Supreme Court, prove it!
Lots of people are.

Location hidden

#146402 Jan 1, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
And you can't conceive that an assault rifle (or any gun) is designed to shoot bullets, not just to kill.

Location hidden

#146403 Jan 1, 2013
Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

* Heart disease: 599,413
* Cancer: 567,628
* Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 137,353
* Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,842
* Accidents (unintentional injuries): 118,021
* Alzheimer's disease: 79,003
* Diabetes: 68,705
* Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,692
* Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 48,935
* Intentional self-harm (suicide): 36,909

* Firearm murders: 8,563

And y'all wanna focus on gun control?!

Location hidden

#146404 Jan 1, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
And THEN kill.
Do they use a different gun for that?
That must get cumbersome.
It take 2 people to carry a wounded man to the medic.

Its simple Aero wound as many as possible , taking at least one other trigger-man out the fight with each casualty.

That way you achieve numerical superiority.
Snipers have been known to defeat entire regiments using this philosophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_C._York
HickUp

North Augusta, SC

#146405 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of people are.
That is a matter of opinion, and could possibly be overturned.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#146406 Jan 1, 2013
HickUp wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a matter of opinion, and could possibly be overturned.
lol That was witty.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#146407 Jan 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Gun control and nephrosis.

Location hidden

#146408 Jan 1, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you against designer handbags too?

The criteria is simple cosmetics means nothing.

Limit the amount of rounds that can be fired from a weapon in a minute. But mind you this will only affect people who wish to comply with the law. Those who's intent is to break the law, in fact will and no laws will stop them.

So you see cosmetics and limits will have zero effect on those people. If it did they will make bombs.
The solution is spotting mental illness and meeting the threat with a greater ferocity. If you know it is suicide to try to attack a school and you will only succeed in minimal death and will be killed definitely. The threat is eliminated.

If you want to submit to a commonwealth Constitution then by all means move to one.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Senate...

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#146409 Jan 1, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I do understand the issue and I am very willing to discuss it. I am not willing to discuss any issue with an ass that would write something like you did.

I have no association with the NRA. I don't quote them, pay them or read their propaganda.

I never said that they were not! You are just as blinded by your beliefs as any fundie is with theirs.

Location hidden

#146410 Jan 1, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Assault weapons are designed to wound.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/Xc...

Get that much straight Aero.

commonly, they have used cartridges of moderate size so that the individual soldier could carry more ammunition than was typical during the First World War or Second World War. Another consideration was that if an enemy were killed, only one soldier was put out of commission. If an enemy were wounded, then three or more were put out of commission as the wounded person was cared for. So, full-metal jacket bullets with moderate kinetic energy (except notably the US M-16) are typical of a true assault weapon designed to wound instead of to kill.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#146411 Jan 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The order changes when you look at specific age groups:

Among those between the ages of 1 and 44, being the victim of homicide is always among the top 5 causes of death. Suicide is also among the top 5 for all groups between the ages of 5 and 44.

Since everyone *does* eventually die, from *some* cause, it should come as no surprise that the most common causes of death are those that are common among the elderly (heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc.). The point, then, is to look for those causes then tend to prevent people from *becoming* elderly, not just the most common cause of death for *all* people.

Among the youngest (1 to 4), setting aside those with congenital diseases, it's accidents and homicides. Among those 5 to 14, again setting aside those with congenital diseases: accidents, suicides, and homicides are numbers 1, 4, and 5. And among those 15 to 24, the three leading causes of deaths are accidents, suicides, and homicides.

Location hidden

#146412 Jan 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gun control and nephrosis.
lol

You'd think with the top killer in America, heart disease, which kills Americans 70 times more than gun murders, you people would be focusing on trying to froce people to eat better.....

Location hidden

#146413 Jan 1, 2013
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
The order changes when you look at specific age groups:
Among those between the ages of 1 and 44, being the victim of homicide is always among the top 5 causes of death. Suicide is also among the top 5 for all groups between the ages of 5 and 44.
Since everyone *does* eventually die, from *some* cause, it should come as no surprise that the most common causes of death are those that are common among the elderly (heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc.). The point, then, is to look for those causes then tend to prevent people from *becoming* elderly, not just the most common cause of death for *all* people.
Among the youngest (1 to 4), setting aside those with congenital diseases, it's accidents and homicides. Among those 5 to 14, again setting aside those with congenital diseases: accidents, suicides, and homicides are numbers 1, 4, and 5. And among those 15 to 24, the three leading causes of deaths are accidents, suicides, and homicides.
uh-huh....

And that's related to gun control how?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 28 min Dak-Original 22,498
Our world came from nothing? 35 min NightSerf 504
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 1 hr cancer suxs 5
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 1 hr Patrick 22
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 3 hr Thinking 140
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 3 hr Thinking 4,118
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 3 hr The Dude 357
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE