Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#146293 Jan 1, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Guns are designed to do two things kill and wound.
The NRA said that guns are simply tools, yet I've found they make really lousy screwdrivers. And never mind trying to hammer anything with them.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#146294 Jan 1, 2013
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I chose the ONLY definition of the noun "gun" in the OED. The rest are examples of guns.
Someone needs to learn how to use a dictionary!
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/engl...
I thought you were an Atheist? The one thing that I thought that I could count on from Atheists is logic and honesty.

I understand that you believe that guns are only meant for one purpose. I understand that has been deeply drilled into you. Many subject are similar to that.

Abortion: Is it murder or simply the removal of some cells? I personally do not agree with abortion, in most cases, but I cannot see me forcing my opinion on others. At some point, we need to sit down and talk. At some point, that group of cells is a human life.

To some, that point is at conception and others not until the baby can breath on its own. We cannot run a country with those two groups having their way. We have to come to some compromise.

We have one group that believe that firearms should be completely eliminated and another group that believes civilians should have access to the same weapons the military has.

You know there is a place where you can drive a tank?
Drive a Tank
550 West Cherry Street
Kasota, Minnesota 56050

Being an Old Tanker I thought this would be great! But you know, I cannot drive an American Tank. Not even an old M48! Just because we have given in and allowed our government to ban the sale of American Tanks to Americans.

Used to be that an American, with a clean record, could buy an old Tank! What changed?

Used to be that we could say the Pledge without "one nation under god" in it! What changed?

Used to be that our country's motto change from "E Pluribus Unum" to "In God We Trust". Why?

It all started around 1950's when people were scared.

San Francisco

#146295 Jan 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I just shoot cans.
You know....
MexiCans
AfriCans
Puerto RiCans
:)
*facepalm*

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#146296 Jan 1, 2013
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
So we should regulate something when people start to misuse it?
Hmm.
That is called a "Nanny government". Instead of proper education, we will just outlaw it.

San Francisco

#146297 Jan 1, 2013
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
So we should regulate something when people start to misuse it?
Hmm.
Depends on the history, scope, and consequences of the misuse. IMHO, guns qualify on all three counts.

I really don't get why anyone would be against the very strict regulation (and registration) of guns. It's like complaining about the necessity for having a license to drive.

“I am but a humble duck.”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#146298 Jan 1, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
That is called a "Nanny government". Instead of proper education, we will just outlaw it.
Maybe I should clarify again, as I did with RR. I don't think guns should be entirely banned.

I think that people who are uneducated about guns or who have no need for guns should not be allowed to get them.

Countries that implement similar laws have lower homicide/gun-related crime rates.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#146299 Jan 1, 2013
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Few problems with the 2nd Amendment.
First, it was very likely intended for military. Not civilians. If the Founding Fathers wanted everyone to have the right to bear arms, they would have mentioned it in another, separate amendment. This is why for 200 years after the founding of our nation, it WASN'T considered a right to own a gun. Not until the mid 20th century.
Second, when it was written the only "arms" people had were inaccurate, single shot rifles. Using it as a standard for all modern weaponry is obviously outdated.
Owning something that has such a capability of damage should be a privilege. Not a right.
Cherry pick much?

No matter how you pick it, it's an American right to own firearms.

San Francisco

#146300 Jan 1, 2013
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Few problems with the 2nd Amendment.
First, it was very likely intended for military. Not civilians. If the Founding Fathers wanted everyone to have the right to bear arms, they would have mentioned it in another, separate amendment. This is why for 200 years after the founding of our nation, it WASN'T considered a right to own a gun. Not until the mid 20th century.
Second, when it was written the only "arms" people had were inaccurate, single shot rifles. Using it as a standard for all modern weaponry is obviously outdated.
Owning something that has such a capability of damage should be a privilege. Not a right.
People keep referring to the second amendment as if the fact that something was written on an old document necessarily makes it valid forever (hmmmmm...). I think at the end of the day what is needed is an amendment to the second amendment.

Location hidden

#146301 Jan 1, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
The NRA said that guns are simply tools, yet I've found they make really lousy screwdrivers. And never mind trying to hammer anything with them.
Are screwdrivers designed to screw?

Location hidden

#146302 Jan 1, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you were an Atheist? The one thing that I thought that I could count on from Atheists is logic and honesty.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

<cough>
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#146303 Jan 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Definition of GUN:
1a : a piece of ordnance usually with high muzzle velocity and comparatively flat trajectory
1b : a portable firearm (as a rifle or handgun)
1c : a device that throws a projectile
2a : a discharge of a gun especially as a salute or signal
2b : a signal marking a beginning or ending
3a : hunter
3b : gunman
4: something suggesting a gun in shape or function
5: throttle
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gun
==========
I don't see "weapon" anywhere.
Dmb ass.
Enough already! RR, you "shot" yourself in the foot again. If you scroll down a little farther, guns are defined as weapons on the link you provided. There is no controversy here, guns were quite obviously created for one purpose - KILLING. Their sole purpose dating back some thousand years ago, was to find an economical means to replace archers and swordsmen, who required long term and expensive training. With the advent of guns, any schlub with a minimal amount of training could effectively kill the enemy. I'm a gun owner, and I have no problem accepting this. My sole interest in them is accuracy; punching holes in paper targets twenty five yards away. I find the mental and physical discipline to become proficient in this sport/hobby to be quite rewarding. Even so, I am aware that this is a secondary application for firearms, and obviously not the original intent for their creation.

Location hidden

#146304 Jan 1, 2013
WesTheDuck wrote:
This is how guns should be regulated, too. If people
a) know how to use them
and b) have a good reason to use them (no - using guns because it is loud or fun is not a good reason), they should be allowed to use them.
I'm all for gun registration, proper ownership & use. I don't know why you're preaching to the choir....

Your argument is that guns are made for killing, I say you're wrong.

A gun isn't made for killing no more than a car is.

Location hidden

#146305 Jan 1, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
If we outlaw guns, then only outlaws wil have guns.

San Francisco

#146306 Jan 1, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
"Nanny government" is whenever something you like is regulated. Conservatives give alot of lip service about getting government out of everyone's lives, yet want an enormous military to go global policing with. They also like the idea of the government regulating their often restrictive views on morality on everyone else. But God forbid anyone try and add a waiting period before they can buy a gun.

Location hidden

#146307 Jan 1, 2013
WesTheDuck wrote:
I think that people who are uneducated about guns or who have no need for guns should not be allowed to get them.
Who do you suppose would be qualified to say whether or not someone has "no need" for a gun? Wouldn't that take away some more of our freedom?

San Francisco

#146308 Jan 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Are screwdrivers designed to screw?
So when the NRA calls a gun merely a "tool", what does that mean? What other definition of that term an I missing?

San Francisco

#146309 Jan 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Come on, give us all a break. A car is not designed to be a weapon. A gun is. It's really that simple.

San Francisco

#146310 Jan 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Cherry pick much?
No matter how you pick it, it's an American right to own firearms.
But not under any and all circumstances. Nor is there any prohibition for their regulation or registration.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#146311 Jan 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm all for gun registration, proper ownership & use. I don't know why you're preaching to the choir....
Your argument is that guns are made for killing, I say you're wrong.
When it comes to making idiotic statements, it's very close between you and Pattiecake.

I think she wins.

But you come very, very close.

Location hidden

#146312 Jan 1, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Enough already! RR, you "shot" yourself in the foot again. If you scroll down a little farther, guns are defined as weapons on the link you provided. There is no controversy here, guns were quite obviously created for one purpose - KILLING. Their sole purpose dating back some thousand years ago, was to find an economical means to replace archers and swordsmen, who required long term and expensive training. With the advent of guns, any schlub with a minimal amount of training could effectively kill the enemy. I'm a gun owner, and I have no problem accepting this. My sole interest in them is accuracy; punching holes in paper targets twenty five yards away. I find the mental and physical discipline to become proficient in this sport/hobby to be quite rewarding. Even so, I am aware that this is a secondary application for firearms, and obviously not the original intent for their creation.
"guns were quite obviously created for one purpose - KILLING"

Are you sure?

I think guns were created as a more efficient means of launching projectiles.

Where that projectile went is irrelevant to WHY the first gun was made.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 14 min Eman 22,442
Noah's flood real (Oct '12) 4 hr Patrick 4,512
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr John K 493
Can atheists pray? Gretta Vosper on Andrew W.K.... 5 hr Patrick 9
After brutal persecution, Albania 'reopened' to... 6 hr Barbarian 4
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 6 hr Patrick 141
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 8 hr nOgOd 1
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE