Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#145950 Dec 31, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
The snake handlers brag that they handle deadly snakes for god. Every sect claims that the holy spirit came to them.
<quoted text>
You cannot change the definition of a word to suit your beliefs:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rel...
<quoted text>
I don't believe that there is even one case of proven faith healing and many cases where a person died trying, mostly defenseless children.
<quoted text>
Indoctrination, you loved and revered your grandmother, so you believed what she taught you.
<quoted text>
Didn't jesus turn water into wine? Choosing not to drink has nothing to do with religion.
<quoted text>
And because there are a lot of nasty things in there that you are required to do!
<quoted text>
You lost me in this one. A lot of amazing things have happened to me, too!
<quoted text>
Sounds a wee bit on the arrogant side, but... Well, just maybe I can get you to read your bible more, read up and some history and science.
Hi, I haven't forgot you, I just got a little busy today...:)

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#145951 Dec 31, 2012
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, I haven't forgot you, I just got a little busy today...:)
I am quite used to people being too,'busy', to reply to my posts.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#145952 Dec 31, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
I think, no I know duck12 has a selective memory.
A couple of weeks ago the ducks started migrating through Illinois. They fly in that “V” formation and you can hear them honking. Hundreds flew over the homestead.

Scientist say they save a lot of energy flying in the “V” formation versus flying alone. They’re able to navigate without a compass and GPS. Landing in the exact same place every year.

Some of the smaller birds fly all the way to South America. Pretty amazing stuff.

Southern Illinois

#145954 Dec 31, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy new year, from a religious person trying to win favours in forum where he's lost all creationist arguments.
And a Happy New Year to you Mr. Congeniality.

:)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#145955 Dec 31, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of weeks ago the ducks started migrating through Illinois. They fly in that “V” formation and you can hear them honking. Hundreds flew over the homestead.
Scientist say they save a lot of energy flying in the “V” formation versus flying alone. They’re able to navigate without a compass and GPS. Landing in the exact same place every year.
Some of the smaller birds fly all the way to South America. Pretty amazing stuff.
First, they don't land in the exact same place[s] every year.

Second, that's a very simple and well understood phenomenon. Birds that don't fly to warmer locales die off, without being able to breed, so only those with the genetic trait that makes them fly to warmer locales spread their genetic traits, because birds are inherently unable to maintain body temperature in colder environments, they cannot survive well.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#145956 Dec 31, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm...Dude.

Those are geese.

<facepalm>

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#145957 Dec 31, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
And if you want to look into something even more amazing, check out the Monarch butterfly's life cycle and migration.

Southern Illinois

#145958 Dec 31, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
There are one or two Christians who are actually worth engaging here.
You're not one of them.
Blahblahblah isn't worth the effort to scroll past, but I do it anyway.
"Pilot to tower. I am 300 miles from land. 600 feet over water and running out of fuel. Please instruct! "

"Tower to pilot. Tower to pilot. Repeat after me,'Our Father, which art in heaven...'"

Southern Illinois

#145959 Dec 31, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm...Dude.
Those are geese.
<facepalm>
You fly up next to them and ask?

Southern Illinois

#145960 Dec 31, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
And if you want to look into something even more amazing, check out the Monarch butterfly's life cycle and migration.
Thank you for sharing that information. I didn’t realize they too migrated.

Southern Illinois

#145961 Dec 31, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
First, they don't land in the exact same place[s] every year.
Second, that's a very simple and well understood phenomenon. Birds that don't fly to warmer locales die off, without being able to breed, so only those with the genetic trait that makes them fly to warmer locales spread their genetic traits, because birds are inherently unable to maintain body temperature in colder environments, they cannot survive well.
Now what are you going to be doing tonight when the New Year comes in?

One year I was at work and my wife went to church for the New Years service. Just after midnight a bullet came through the church building and hit her in the shoulder. The bullet bounced off of her and landed in the lap of the person next to her. She had a pretty nasty bruise from it.

It turns out that bullet was from a 30-06 rifle. Some idiot down the road goes outside of his home and shoots his rifle in the air. That bullet came down right where she was sitting.

Where we lived there was lots of fireworks that would go off all over the neighborhood. Some of those “booms,” I think sounded like guns. In fact I’m pretty damn sure they were guns.

So you just never know what may be coming down on New Years.

Southern Illinois

#145962 Dec 31, 2012
Well, It's time to make some coffee and take in the chill.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#145963 Dec 31, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been abrasive to you because of your narcissistic behavior. Your ego needed to be deflated because it was and sometimes still is the size of the Goodyear Blimp.
I will relinquish when you stop being a needling narcissistic bully. A troubling side with you is your need to role play as women. I’m not sure what would cause a man to act that way.
Anyway I would prefer a more amiable relationship with you but so far you haven’t found it in your heart to stop acting like a jerk.
There you go again, with your insults.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#145964 Dec 31, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Pilot to tower. I am 300 miles from land. 600 feet over water and running out of fuel. Please instruct! "
"Tower to pilot. Tower to pilot. Repeat after me,'Our Father, which art in heaven...'"
Reminds me of a local REAL incident that happened here a few years back.

Two pilots wrecked a perfectly good airplane when they crash landed in the woods short of the runway after running out of fuel.

They credited their relatively minor injuries to the prayers they always say before each and every flight.

Their time would have been better spent checking their fuel.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#145965 Dec 31, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now what are you going to be doing tonight when the New Year comes in?
One year I was at work and my wife went to church for the New Years service. Just after midnight a bullet came through the church building and hit her in the shoulder. The bullet bounced off of her and landed in the lap of the person next to her. She had a pretty nasty bruise from it.
It turns out that bullet was from a 30-06 rifle. Some idiot down the road goes outside of his home and shoots his rifle in the air. That bullet came down right where she was sitting.
Where we lived there was lots of fireworks that would go off all over the neighborhood. Some of those “booms,” I think sounded like guns. In fact I’m pretty damn sure they were guns.
So you just never know what may be coming down on New Years.
I fail to see what this anecdote has to do with my pointing out that you're wrong, and evolution explains it all quite efficiently.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#145966 Dec 31, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for sharing that information. I didn’t realize they too migrated.
Not only do they migrate, but they go all the way from the northern US to the same spot in Mexico where they gather in numbers so huge that their weight breaks tree limbs.

On top of this, the average lifespan of the Monarch is only 2 to 6 weeks. Except for the last of the season that makes the migration. Those live from August or September, when the migration starts, until April or so.

They've had bad years due to deforestation in their overwintering spot and lack of milkweed on their migratory route. I guess when they migrate back north, their normal life cycle starts again and their caterpillars feed on milkweed.

If you live along their route, you can get milkweed seed and plant waystations for them.

My ex and I used to find their eggs on our milkweed and keep them until they metamorphosed into adults and then release them. We've hatched over a hundred in some years.

One of these years, I'm going to get a tagging kit used to better track their migration.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#145967 Dec 31, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I fail to see what this anecdote has to do with my pointing out that you're wrong, and evolution explains it all quite efficiently.
That's why we call him Duck12.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#145968 Dec 31, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Reminds me of a local REAL incident that happened here a few years back.
Two pilots wrecked a perfectly good airplane when they crash landed in the woods short of the runway after running out of fuel.
They credited their relatively minor injuries to the prayers they always say before each and every flight.
Their time would have been better spent checking their fuel.
LOL! It is amazing what they will attribute to god and prayer!

If I would have left when I was supposed to, I would have been in that accident that kill 3 adults and a baby, but god was watching out over me! He made that phone ring, my keys to be misplaced, the dog to have an accident, which by the way, he never does, or... Forget the 4 people who died! god was not looking out for them!

How incredibly stupid and arrogant! god wanted them to live, so he sent a baby to be kill instead.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#145969 Dec 31, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You fly up next to them and ask?
Ducks don't honk. They quack.

And they don't fly in V formation.

I was playing tennis once when a flock of hundreds and hundreds of geese flew overhead.

It started to sound like it was raining.

Then we all realized that we were being "rained on" by goose shit.

The courts were an utter mess after they passed.

Geese shit on believers and nonbelievers alike.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#145970 Dec 31, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go again, with your insults.
god allows him to insult! Don't you know anything?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 51 min _Bad Company 23,267
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Morse 5,951
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr RayOne 2,621
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 2 hr SnuffAGlobalisst 23
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 7 hr Dee 41
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 7 hr _Bad Company 1,458
God' existence 9 hr thetruth 86
More from around the web