Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239853 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#145936 Dec 30, 2012
Its now New Years Eve here in the Untied States Central Time Zone.

I wish you all a Happy New Year!

Have fun celebrating.

Please if you drink, dont drive!

Southern Illinois

#145937 Dec 30, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Meltdown.
Much needed when the ice and snow cakes up on the windshield.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#145938 Dec 30, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats how the Nazis viewed the Jews.
History is not your strong point: but we already knew that.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#145939 Dec 30, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Have fun celebrating.
Erm, um ... not until 24 hours from now.

Southern Illinois

#145940 Dec 30, 2012
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless they disagree with you. Then they're unequal.
Ironically, Thomas Jefferson was a deist. Not a Christian or any other religion. He, and many other founding fathers, were free thinkers.
Thank you for your comment. The following was taken from Wiki:

Wiki:

Jefferson rejected the orthodox Christianity of his day and was especially hostile to the Catholic Church as he saw it operate in France.

Throughout his life Jefferson was intensely interested in theology, biblical study, and morality. As a landowner he played a role in governing his local Episcopal Church; in terms of belief he was inclined toward Deism and the moral philosophy of Christianity, though when he was home he attended the Episcopal church and raised his daughters in that faith.

In a private letter to Benjamin Rush, Jefferson refers to himself as "Christian" (1803): "To the corruptions of Christianity I am, indeed, opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian, in the only sense in which he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others; ascribing to himself every human excellence...

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#145941 Dec 30, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The opening of the United States Declaration of Independence, written by Thomas Jefferson in 1776, states as follows:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed;
The same argument could be used for pot smoking.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#145942 Dec 30, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Much needed when the ice and snow cakes up on the windshield.
So that is your excuse for your bad temper?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#145944 Dec 31, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
The same argument could be used for pot smoking.
Note that Jefferson, and the majority of American politicians for the next 200 years, meant "All Men" to refer to only white landowners.

Slaves, foriegners and common people were considered sub-human.

It was the same old European "Blue Blood" mentality.
They just wanted their aristicracy seperate from England. Note, too, that George Washington was offered the role and Title of King. It was only when he turned it down that the role of "President" was implimented.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#145945 Dec 31, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Note that Jefferson, and the majority of American politicians for the next 200 years, meant "All Men" to refer to only white landowners.
Slaves, foriegners and common people were considered sub-human.
It was the same old European "Blue Blood" mentality.
They just wanted their aristicracy seperate from England. Note, too, that George Washington was offered the role and Title of King. It was only when he turned it down that the role of "President" was implimented.
I think, no I know duck12 has a selective memory.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#145946 Dec 31, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that falls under my summation in my previous post. LOL

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#145947 Dec 31, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Have fun celebrating.
Happy new year, from a religious person trying to win favours in forum where he's lost all creationist arguments.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#145948 Dec 31, 2012
Xyzhoturutsmail wrote:
<quoted text>You are right Bob. He also read the post, he just had no retort so he resorting to typical atheist flaming.
Our BS meters start pegging at about 3 sentences into most christards posts.

It makes reading any more literally painful.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#145949 Dec 31, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>I’m not trying to humiliate you here Rich. Bullyism is why so many of your comments are negative and personally demeaning. The hate filled bullyism you faced as a child is being replicated in you. That part of your persona was shaped in childhood.

How many times have you ever said anything gracious here on topix against your opponents? You haven’t and your not going to. It’s not in you to show any acts of kindness.

As you know I have been guilty myself of being offensive. At least I do on occasion show some acts of friendliness. You probably don’t believe me but I do feel a kinship to the Atheist on this site. And on occasions I have sided with Atheist.

There is a big difference in the personalities among our topix Atheist. There are some who are constantly rude and offensive. Then there are some who are above the fray and are always cordial. The cordial ones thoughts are not lost but seems to carry further than the hateful ones.

Peace..........
There are one or two Christians who are actually worth engaging here.

You're not one of them.

Blahblahblah isn't worth the effort to scroll past, but I do it anyway.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#145950 Dec 31, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
The snake handlers brag that they handle deadly snakes for god. Every sect claims that the holy spirit came to them.
<quoted text>
You cannot change the definition of a word to suit your beliefs:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rel...
<quoted text>
I don't believe that there is even one case of proven faith healing and many cases where a person died trying, mostly defenseless children.
<quoted text>
Indoctrination, you loved and revered your grandmother, so you believed what she taught you.
<quoted text>
Didn't jesus turn water into wine? Choosing not to drink has nothing to do with religion.
<quoted text>
And because there are a lot of nasty things in there that you are required to do!
<quoted text>
You lost me in this one. A lot of amazing things have happened to me, too!
<quoted text>
Sounds a wee bit on the arrogant side, but... Well, just maybe I can get you to read your bible more, read up and some history and science.
Hi, I haven't forgot you, I just got a little busy today...:)

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#145951 Dec 31, 2012
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, I haven't forgot you, I just got a little busy today...:)
I am quite used to people being too,'busy', to reply to my posts.

Southern Illinois

#145952 Dec 31, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of weeks ago the ducks started migrating through Illinois. They fly in that V formation and you can hear them honking. Hundreds flew over the homestead.

Scientist say they save a lot of energy flying in the V formation versus flying alone. Theyre able to navigate without a compass and GPS. Landing in the exact same place every year.

Some of the smaller birds fly all the way to South America. Pretty amazing stuff.

Southern Illinois

#145954 Dec 31, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy new year, from a religious person trying to win favours in forum where he's lost all creationist arguments.
And a Happy New Year to you Mr. Congeniality.

:)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#145955 Dec 31, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of weeks ago the ducks started migrating through Illinois. They fly in that V formation and you can hear them honking. Hundreds flew over the homestead.
Scientist say they save a lot of energy flying in the V formation versus flying alone. Theyre able to navigate without a compass and GPS. Landing in the exact same place every year.
Some of the smaller birds fly all the way to South America. Pretty amazing stuff.
First, they don't land in the exact same place[s] every year.

Second, that's a very simple and well understood phenomenon. Birds that don't fly to warmer locales die off, without being able to breed, so only those with the genetic trait that makes them fly to warmer locales spread their genetic traits, because birds are inherently unable to maintain body temperature in colder environments, they cannot survive well.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#145956 Dec 31, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm...Dude.

Those are geese.

<facepalm>

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#145957 Dec 31, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
And if you want to look into something even more amazing, check out the Monarch butterfly's life cycle and migration.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr NoahLovesU 7,633
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr lozzza 19,142
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 5 hr NoahLovesU 7,514
Is God a Perfect Being? 19 hr Thinking 16
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 19 hr ChristineM 2,234
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 21 hr True Christian wi... 137
News America is losing religion - and why more and m... May 30 P_Smith 1
More from around the web