Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,003)

Showing posts 140,041 - 140,060 of217,143
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Behold! The perfect plan of god!

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Clementia wrote:
You evil turkey! Shame on you!!
He engages in turkey trickery!

You have to watch those wild turkeys.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you tell me.
Off they come.
Ooops, I didn't have my eyes closed! ;-)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
Behold! The perfect plan of god!
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
OMG, I watch those, they're funny, I found out that God is an atheist! See u do learn stuff from youtube.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>This little joke was posted in FB via another Topix thread, and thought you might enjoy it too :)
***An atheist was seated next to a little girl on an airplane and he turned to her and said, "Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger."
The little girl, who had just started to read her book, replied to the total stranger, "What would you want to talk about?"
"Oh, I don't know," said the atheist. "How about why there is no God, or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death?" as he smiled smugly.
"Okay," she said. "Those could be interesting topics but let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff - grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?"
The atheist, visibly surprised by the little girl's intelligence, thinks about it and says, "Hmmm, I have no idea." To which the little girl replies, "Do you really feel qualified to discuss God, Heaven and Hell, or life after death, when you don't know sh#t?"
And then she went back to reading her book.***
Not very funny, but this one is:

A devout Christian is hit by a truck and is killed instantly, he see's the tunnel with the white light at the end and begins walking, closer and closer he gets, his excitement grows, just the thought of seeing God brings him to tears. He approaches the light, and soon he see's an image begin to take shape. The brightness of the light has blurred his vision, but soon he is standing before the image, as his sight returns he see's.......he see's........Gasp, and a cry escapes from deep inside, and he moans, "Holy shit, how could I have been so wrong." For before him stand SHIVA!!!!!!

Now thats funny. Of the thousands of Gods this dope picked the wrong one. Don't let that happen to you numbnuts, remember they can't ALL be the "right God." LOL

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I think you were bullied when you were a kid. Don’t me get wrong we all had run ins with bullies. Some more than others. But I think you were bullied a hell of a lot.
Maybe it was because your size and your grades. That bullying had a sizeable impact on your life. Sarcasm and cynicism comes from your childhood. It could even had derived from a relative.
I’m sorry that happened to you. Today there has been a little more focus on the problem of bullying. I can only hope you don’t pass on those undesirable personality traits to your children and grandchildren.
It's not too late to change.
Do you know how the rest of know you are clutching at straws? You post inane personal remarks which have nothing to do with the topic.

You know, I think you were dropped on your head when you were a kid....repeatedly.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Not very funny, but this one is:
A devout Christian is hit by a truck and is killed instantly, he see's the tunnel with the white light at the end and begins walking, closer and closer he gets, his excitement grows, just the thought of seeing God brings him to tears. He approaches the light, and soon he see's an image begin to take shape. The brightness of the light has blurred his vision, but soon he is standing before the image, as his sight returns he see's.......he see's........Gasp, and a cry escapes from deep inside, and he moans, "Holy shit, how could I have been so wrong." For before him stand SHIVA!!!!!!
Now thats funny. Of the thousands of Gods this dope picked the wrong one. Don't let that happen to you numbnuts, remember they can't ALL be the "right God." LOL
Shiva is not the eternal one, but the eternal one is Shiva.

O just trust me, the Shiva form is not eternal, he's not the one.

Sorry, our philosophy is hard to understand, so people make it easier by calling Shiva the eternal one. He is but he's not.

There is only one, so all religions pray to the ONE! The cultural influences are different in each religion, but the basic philosophy of the one, is the same.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Shiva is not the eternal one, but the eternal one is Shiva.
O just trust me, the Shiva form is not eternal, he's not the one.
Sorry, our philosophy is hard to understand, so people make it easier by calling Shiva the eternal one. He is but he's not.
There is only one, so all religions pray to the ONE! The cultural influences are different in each religion, but the basic philosophy of the one, is the same.
Right, right, forgive me for not giving a shit about your magical beliefs.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Right, right, forgive me for not giving a shit about your magical beliefs.
I don't care if u give a shit or not, what I do care about is u thinking u know what my belief is, leave it out if u don't have enough knowledge of it. Don't use my magical beliefs in the wrong way, to get your opinion across, because it doesn't make sense.

Don't u atheists get annoyed when Christians keep telling u atheism is a religion? I have found that most of u do, because you say, we have no belief. The same with me, it's annoying when people keep telling u what your belief is.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Sorry it took so long to get back to you,... busy
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize that you are unable and or unwilling to think for yourself.
Ans.. You don't know me.

In your sect, is jesus god? If so, then he had himself killed to appease himself.
Ans.. Yes, they are in the same, It's called the trinity... Jesus allowed himself die for us, not appeasement.... He could have called on the father to save him, at any time. Do you really hear yourself?

You say that you would not kill any animal, but had you been born prior to jesus' death, you would have been force to murder animals for your god.
Ans. I would not kill any animal unless, I could eat it. To answer the second part of the question, we can't possibly know, can we?

In fact, your god has standing orders for you to kill all non-believers! I know, you try and try to weasel out of god's laws, but you are only fooling yourself.
Ans... God is all about Love. I don't know of any standing orders to kill all non-believers, unless you are referring to what happened after the decline of the Roman Empire? In which case, yes, the so called Christians were horrible, especially to pagans. That wasn't the Love of God in their hearts, it was free choice of mans interpreted beliefs, not God's word.

Your god said that you must and jesus confirmed that you must. If you are not going to follow your god's laws, why would you try to get me to follow him?
Ans. I follow what the Holy Spirit speaks to my heart, not what man has interpreted the Bible to mean ... I know this might be hard to follow. I would love to talk to you in private, if you like.. I will answer your every question that you might have... You seem somewhat interested, and reasonable..:). N

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to add feul to a fundie bonfire but I have witnessed first hand academic dishonesty. Many academians are more interested in becoming published than in discovering the truth. From anthroplogy to the medical sciences, there is a lot more deceit than is apparent to the outside observer.
Still beats the Hell out of magic books and fairytales.
Cheers G; I don't want hell in my books and fairytales so anything that beats hell out will suit me just fine. My path is such that I can have no doubts; and that also suits me fine. I seek higher Spiritual Wisdom ~ and am not out to knock it. I sought Serah with Spiritual in Mind, and I found her. There are reasons for my search and reasons for my find, but many things are only clear to those who have the clarity. You won't see the truth in what I write, but somewhere deep down, I know you too are seeking something, and I hope you find it!!:)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Getting back to the issue at hand:-
"You have completely ignored the simple fact that the numbers prove that the story of the flood is pure unadulterated BS and you are desperately trying to steer the conversation away from that fact"
No I'm not; I have in my own way mentioned that it is by belief, supported by evidence, but here is a bit taken from a different perspective;

*** Mt. Everest and the Himalayan range, along with the Alps, the Rockies, the Appalachians, the Andes, and most of the world's other mountains are composed of ocean-bottom sediments, full of marine fossils laid down by the Flood. Mt. Everest itself has clam fossils at its summit. These rock layers cover an extensive area, including much of Asia. They give every indication of resulting from cataclysmic water processes. These are the kinds of deposits we would expect to result from the worldwide, world-destroying Flood of Noah's day.

At the end of the Flood, after thick sequences of sediments had accumulated, the Indian subcontinent evidently collided with Asia, crumpling the sediments into mountains. Today they stand as giants—folded and fractured layers of ocean-bottom sediments at high elevations. No, Noah's Flood didn't cover the Himalayas, it formed them!

Thus we find the Biblical account not only possible, but also supported by the evidence. A pre-Flood world with lessened topographic extremes could have been covered by the Great Flood. That Flood caused today's high mountains and deep oceans making such a flood impossible to repeat. This is just as God promised, back in Genesis.

http://www.icr.org/article/520/ ***

One cannot definitely say that the only living things to survive were in the Ark, because recall we are talking of Scribe's writings way before travel as we know it, was even a twinkle in someone's eye. It is not just a guess that there would be fossils high in the mountains; it was not a guess of Matthew's to tell us the very hairs on our head are numbered; they are indeed to be taken as we find them.

The Bible swims with time, and whether you know it or not, more has been proven wrong about science than has been proved wrong about the Bible.... because what couldn't be true then, as such, in many eyes, has since happened so we have 'modern day Scribes' proving their points.

The Numbers support the Bible....

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Snevaeh legna wrote:
Sorry it took so long to get back to you,... busy
I think I have straighten it out.
TheBlackSheep wrote:
I realize that you are unable and or unwilling to think for yourself.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
Ans.. You don't know me.
I know the type.
TheBlackSheep wrote:
In your sect, is jesus god? If so, then he had himself killed to appease himself.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
Ans.. Yes, they are in the same, It's called the trinity... Jesus allowed himself die for us, not appeasement.... He could have called on the father to save him, at any time. Do you really hear yourself?
Simply put, god sent himself to be killed so that he could forgive. Did god/jesus die? No, a god cannot die. What did god/jesus sacrifice? Nothing. If he cannot die, then he gave up nothing.

If Bill Gates says, "Hey BlackSheep, you sacrifice $100,000 to this charity and I will give you the $100,000 back." Did I make a sacrifice? Even if Bill waits three days to give me the money? No.
TheBlackSheep wrote:
You say that you would not kill any animal, but had you been born prior to jesus' death, you would have been force to murder animals for your god.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
Ans. I would not kill any animal unless, I could eat it. To answer the second part of the question, we can't possibly know, can we?
I am just trying to get you to think about your god's demands.
TheBlackSheep wrote:
In fact, your god has standing orders for you to kill all non-believers! I know, you try and try to weasel out of god's laws, but you are only fooling yourself.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
Ans... God is all about Love. I don't know of any standing orders to kill all non-believers, unless you are referring to what happened after the decline of the Roman Empire? In which case, yes, the so called Christians were horrible, especially to pagans. That wasn't the Love of God in their hearts, it was free choice of mans interpreted beliefs, not God's word.
Read Deuteronomy 13:13-19, Deuteronomy 13:7-12, Leviticus 24:10-16, Deuteronomy 13:1-5 and Deuteronomy 18:20-22, to name a few.

Then read Matthew 5:17-19 Note: Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Your god said that you must and jesus confirmed that you must. If you are not going to follow your god's laws, why would you try to get me to follow him?
Snevaeh legna wrote:
Ans. I follow what the Holy Spirit speaks to my heart, not what man has interpreted the Bible to mean ... I know this might be hard to follow. I would love to talk to you in private, if you like.. I will answer your every question that you might have... You seem somewhat interested, and reasonable..:). N
Most every christian makes the very same claim, yet how many christian sects are there? How did you pick the correct sect and so many others failed?

Why do you trust that you picked the right one?

I have no need to be speak privately to anonymous people, but thanks for the offer.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Clementia wrote:
Catcher, Tide, River...Where r u guys? Catcher, I looked back and u were gone, r u batman?
And also...WHERE IS HIDING?
31Dec12.....

....'sidingDumbPhew' has a whole lotta cockPuppets.

Ps:....for a while, udder members were dinking dat you were Von of dem.

Meanwhile, dat eeejit is probably 'shackedUP' vit da most hateful poster on this topic...namely 'ItAin'tNecessarilySo' who has been out of commission for someDime now. It could possibly be her as well. She is a schidt-for-brains.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

“I am but a humble duck.”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>No I'm not; I have in my own way mentioned that it is by belief, supported by evidence, but here is a bit taken from a different perspective;
*** Mt. Everest and the Himalayan range, along with the Alps, the Rockies, the Appalachians, the Andes, and most of the world's other mountains are composed of ocean-bottom sediments, full of marine fossils laid down by the Flood. Mt. Everest itself has clam fossils at its summit. These rock layers cover an extensive area, including much of Asia. They give every indication of resulting from cataclysmic water processes. These are the kinds of deposits we would expect to result from the worldwide, world-destroying Flood of Noah's day.
At the end of the Flood, after thick sequences of sediments had accumulated, the Indian subcontinent evidently collided with Asia, crumpling the sediments into mountains. Today they stand as giants—folded and fractured layers of ocean-bottom sediments at high elevations. No, Noah's Flood didn't cover the Himalayas, it formed them!
Thus we find the Biblical account not only possible, but also supported by the evidence. A pre-Flood world with lessened topographic extremes could have been covered by the Great Flood. That Flood caused today's high mountains and deep oceans making such a flood impossible to repeat. This is just as God promised, back in Genesis.
One cannot definitely say that the only living things to survive were in the Ark, because recall we are talking of Scribe's writings way before travel as we know it, was even a twinkle in someone's eye. It is not just a guess that there would be fossils high in the mountains; it was not a guess of Matthew's to tell us the very hairs on our head are numbered; they are indeed to be taken as we find them.
The Bible swims with time, and whether you know it or not, more has been proven wrong about science than has been proved wrong about the Bible.... because what couldn't be true then, as such, in many eyes, has since happened so we have 'modern day Scribes' proving their points.
Problem with this: The fossils which have been found in any mountain ranges are ancient. A lot of land was underwater at some point in the distant past (note: distant being much longer ago than 6,000 years)- this is not evidence of a flood. Evidence of a flood would be flood sediment spread throughout time.

Unfortunately for you religious nutjobs, there is a mountain (see what I did there?) of evidence against the flood - and what you cite as evidence of a flood has natural answers which can be found with a simple google search. See: http://failedmessiah.typepad.com/failed_messi...

In case you're too lazy to read it, let me list a few for you: 1) there are trees that are older than the flood would have been, 2) There is no evidence of a genetic bottleneck in any of the species which Noah would have had on the ark, 3) Noah would have had to move several hundred animals onto the ark... PER SECOND. This is obviously impossible... The list goes on. You get the point.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

31Dec12.....

.....The Poster Of The Year.......

Although it was a tough decision, the posters were narrowed down to Eagle and Buck Crick.

After serious consideration, the Final Decision was to award the title of 'Poster Of The Year' to.........

.......Buck Crick.....

Ps:.....Always straight forward; always Black & White with NO grey areas; throwing in some comical rants and roadings to drum messages into the various schidt-for-brains heads; being consistant, honest, enduring, persistent, and Never wavering.....

...our Buck Crick is one 'hellava guy'.

Keep it hup, Buck Crick.

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>No I'm not; I have in my own way mentioned that it is by belief, supported by evidence, but here is a bit taken from a different perspective;
The numbers do not support the Bible.

The Appalachians are young in Earth years. So is Hawaii. Do you deny plate tectonics and volcanic activity? Do you think Tsunamis are a god's work?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Granted, however the scientific method eventually, though always, ends up bringing these frauds into the open. That's the reason it has worked so well for us as a species. Science doesn't work because scientists are perfect, it works because of the method itself.
True ~ when they find out after spending ludicrous amounts of money while we have world wide starvation, on the effects of their drugs and chemicals, they quickly work on something else, wasting more money.
***The release of thalidomide in the 1950s and 1960s led to the world’s most publicised pharmaceutical disaster.
Thalidomide was marketed for a wide range of ailments, and was touted as safe to use during pregnancy. But the manufacturers and sellers had never tested thalidomide's effect on the unborn child, and tragically, thousands of babies suffered serious malformations after their mothers took the pills.
Many of the victims have never been able to pursue compensation claims.
Some could never produce the evidence that their mothers took the pills. Doctors at that time often provided patients with samples, and pharmacists commonly did not record the name of the medication on the containers.
http://www.slatergordon.com.au/thalidomide *** Fraud involved?
***More Prescription Drugs As We Get Older?
By Dr. Bruce West
It has been shown that the healthiest and longest-living Americans are Senior Citizens who take little or no prescription drugs. This is not just a statement made by folks who believe in alternative therapies. It is from a study quoted in the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association which was done at Harvard Medical School. The study confirms what observant, knowledgeable researchers and doctors have maintained for years about drugs: that too many physicians are recommending that patients take powerful medicines about which we know little, to fight diseases about which we know even less, into their bodies about which we know next to nothing. The startling proof that prescription drugs are maiming and killing our older citizens by the thousands came from the above-mentioned study, and here are some of the main points Many Americans over 65 were given drugs that are never appropriate to be prescribed for Senior Citizens.
At least twenty such drugs that should never be prescribed for those over 65, under any circumstances, are routinely and repeatedly prescribed.
Doctors need to be alerted in a major way about their prescribing of dangerous drugs that are ineffective and should not have been prescribed at all, and about safe alternatives.
Drugs are causing ten million or more people into fainting spells, dizziness, balance problems, severe falls, memory loss, addictions, ulcers, heart attacks, and more.
The study on seniors was done on many thousands of people, none of whom were in nursing homes. There is no doubt that those in most nursing homes fare much worse!
http://www.rethinkingcancer.org/resources/mag... ***
Where does Corporate Responsibility come into effect? Have you read the list of chemicals (usually numbers in the ingredients on packages, it is law here to do so) that are in each number that is on the item? Amazing stuff, and if you ring the FDA and discuss it with them, they will tell you it is your responsibility to keep tally of all those chemicals you intake daily or by the hour even.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

31Dec12.....

.....Well hello there ALL you members of the Faithful...

....and da hell vit haul you hateful, hypocritical, hAtheistic schidt-for-brains.

To the REAL Christians who practice their Faith and remain stalwart while Facing Into Danger, may you always maintain that GIFT that you have.

Those udder despicable ones who decry your postings and 'spit' into your face are Really & Truly 'pissing into the wind'.

To those of you who accept and believe in Our Lord Jesus Christ, BobLoblah wants to express a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

....and always remember that wherever you go...there you are.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly!
In the last 100 years, science has provided more beneficial results for humanity than any religion did in the last 2000 years.
LOL....carrying on from before!!

***Your responsibility? Did you know that? They can give you as many as they feel like it in a packet, but are limited per item. Add up your chemical intake, if you have the time to be bothered, and look up the chemicals ingredients... a lot of them are charming little bits and pieces that you can't even see, causing all sorts of nasty health issues.

Yeah, they will eventually remove them all, people have worked it out, and are demanding 'natural' foods.... but it is a money scenario, and where the heck would all the people who make drugs, additives and chemicals work? Ahhh, the Health Industry!! A big Topic, not right for this forum, but they make you sick and then tell you they can't afford to fix you, so you need private health; and then of course, that pays for all of those workers.

In country towns where they live naturally, and according to the statistics of today, people are living healthier and longer lives. And they are useful members of their communities, and respected.

One day in 1976, Moraitis felt short of breath. Climbing stairs was a chore; he had to quit working midday. After X-rays, his doctor concluded that Moraitis had lung cancer. As he recalls, nine other doctors confirmed the diagnosis. They gave him nine months to live. He was in his mid-60s.

Moraitis considered staying in America and seeking aggressive cancer treatment at a local hospital. That way, he could also be close to his adult children. But he decided instead to return to Ikaria, where he could be buried with his ancestors in a cemetery shaded by oak trees that overlooked the Aegean Sea. He figured a funeral in the United States would cost thousands, a traditional Ikarian one only $200, leaving more of his retirement savings for his wife, Elpiniki. Moraitis and Elpiniki moved in with his elderly parents, into a tiny, whitewashed house on two acres of stepped vineyards near Evdilos, on the north side of Ikaria. At first, he spent his days in bed, as his mother and wife tended to him. He reconnected with his faith. On Sunday mornings, he hobbled up the hill to a tiny Greek Orthodox chapel where his grandfather once served as a priest. When his childhood friends discovered that he had moved back, they started showing up every afternoon. They’d talk for hours, an activity that invariably involved a bottle or two of locally produced wine. I might as well die happy, he thought.

In the ensuing months, something strange happened. He says he started to feel stronger. One day, feeling ambitious, he planted some vegetables in the garden. He didn’t expect to live to harvest them, but he enjoyed being in the sunshine, breathing the ocean air. Elpiniki could enjoy the fresh vegetables after he was gone.

Six months came and went. Moraitis didn’t die. Instead, he reaped his garden and, feeling emboldened, cleaned up the family vineyard as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/magazine/th... ***

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 140,041 - 140,060 of217,143
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••