Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#145711 Dec 29, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>It does not say 15 cubits above the highest mountains.
<sigh>

20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.
Nevaeh

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

#145712 Dec 29, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, the same god who came up with this!
Leviticus 14:49 And he shall take to cleanse the house two birds, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop:
50 And he shall kill the one of the birds in an earthen vessel over running water:
51 And he shall take the cedar wood, and the hyssop, and the scarlet, and the living bird, and dip them in the blood of the slain bird, and in the running water, and sprinkle the house seven times:
52 And he shall cleanse the house with the blood of the bird, and with the running water, and with the living bird, and with the cedar wood, and with the hyssop, and with the scarlet:
53 But he shall let go the living bird out of the city into the open fields, and make an atonement for the house: and it shall be clean.
Anyone willing to try it?
It means...
The sacrificial meaning of the blood, is symbol to life.(In other words, no bones and flesh are used here)
Atonement was associated with sacrificial offerings to remove the effects of sin.:) N

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#145713 Dec 29, 2012
Nevaeh wrote:
<quoted text>
It means...
The sacrificial meaning of the blood, is symbol to life.(In other words, no bones and flesh are used here)
Atonement was associated with sacrificial offerings to remove the effects of sin.:) N
It says "kill" in there. Why do you ignore the parts you don't like?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#145714 Dec 29, 2012
Nevaeh wrote:
<quoted text>
It means...
You didn't explain anything. I realize that your god requires something to be killed, so that he can forgive. My question is, do you realize that.

Something must be murdered, so that you god can forgive.

Doesn't that strike you as wrong? Immoral? Stupid?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#145715 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe he thinks that you can drain a bird of its blood and it will fly away to get more?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#145716 Dec 29, 2012
Nevaeh wrote:
<quoted text>It means...
How's that work out?

Besides making a bloody mess.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#145717 Dec 29, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe he thinks that you can drain a bird of its blood and it will fly away to get more?
Whole new meaning to Blood Bank?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#145718 Dec 29, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there evidence of Socrates' existence?
I've never actually looked.
Other than a handful of sayings attributed to him, I'm not very familiar.
I will admit to assuming he existed, but if that's doubtful, please enlighten me.
Only from Plato, Aristophanes and Xenophon in medieval manuscripts.

The surviving manuscripts were written over 1000 years after any of the alleged authors lived.

For more dubious than the Jesus biographies (within 200 years of events).

“Love much, trust none”

There

#145719 Dec 29, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, the same god who came up with this!
Leviticus 14:49 And he shall take to cleanse the house two birds, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop:
50 And he shall kill the one of the birds in an earthen vessel over running water:
51 And he shall take the cedar wood, and the hyssop, and the scarlet, and the living bird, and dip them in the blood of the slain bird, and in the running water, and sprinkle the house seven times:
52 And he shall cleanse the house with the blood of the bird, and with the running water, and with the living bird, and with the cedar wood, and with the hyssop, and with the scarlet:
53 But he shall let go the living bird out of the city into the open fields, and make an atonement for the house: and it shall be clean.
Anyone willing to try it?
It is a silly ritual.

However, it does tie into my 'heretical' theory on which "sacrifice" early christians thought Jesus was.

Ask any Christian "Which Sacrifice in Leviticus was Jesus ?" and you get a bunch of babbling. They haven't figured it out in 1700 years. I blame the Catholics. LOL

Note that one of the birds is set free. Jesus didn't need to die or be resurrected in Judean theology.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#145720 Dec 29, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does it say that?
I would like to see the scripture where the bible says the “whole world.”
Yes, traditionally Christians believed it was the whole world. Some probably still do. But the bible didn’t say the “whole world.”
The mountains were probably covered in snow like they are today.
"And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered."

You never even read the Bible, did you ?

Why do you lie ?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#145721 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, if you use the original Hebrew and not the modern translations:
http://www.noahs-ark-flood.com/creation.htm
Which also means it wasn't global.
Dang. You gave him an out. LOL

15 cubits (24 feet) is the height of the flood waters.

The Susquehanna river flood in 1973 was 27 feet. My cousin's two story home was submerged.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#145722 Dec 29, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Dang. You gave him an out. LOL
15 cubits (24 feet) is the height of the flood waters.
The Susquehanna river flood in 1973 was 27 feet. My cousin's two story home was submerged.
Well, I didn't entirely give him an out, anyway, he didn't even use it. lol
Nevaeh

#145723 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Your kidding right? An altar for sacrificial offerings = used up or destroyed = kill. You must get 'Wisdom' for this grasshopper... I don' ignore anything I don't like.... I face it head on...:) N

“Bringing the Paranoia !!”

Since: Oct 11

MY hometown is YOUR Hometown

#145724 Dec 29, 2012
ATHEISM is for people with simple minds...

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#145725 Dec 29, 2012
Nevaeh wrote:
<quoted text>
Your kidding right? An altar for sacrificial offerings = used up or destroyed = kill. You must get 'Wisdom' for this grasshopper... I don' ignore anything I don't like.... I face it head on...:) N

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#145726 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, if you use the original Hebrew and not the modern translations:
http://www.noahs-ark-flood.com/creation.htm
Which also means it wasn't global.
If the flood was only 15 cubits and it took 40 days to get there why would you need an ark? I have seen bigger floods in an afternoon.
Nevaeh

#145727 Dec 29, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't explain anything. I realize that your god requires something to be killed, so that he can forgive. My question is, do you realize that.
Yes, I do not understand everything God did, or does. I just trust him. I personally would not kill any animal, unless I intended to eat it. What you don't seem to understand is this is God's World. As any good Father, he makes the rules. You do realize nothing is sacrificed or murdered today, for God to forgive?... That's why Jesus died on the cross and shed his 'own' blood, so we can be forgiven.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#145728 Dec 29, 2012
Nevaeh wrote:
<quoted text>
It says to kill the "offering."

You said it didn't, you either ignored it or need to learn English. I suspect the latter at this point.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#145729 Dec 29, 2012
PartyPooper II wrote:
ATHEISM is for people with simple minds...
Yes, even people with simple minds are able to recognize that it is pointless to believe in something without a shred of evidence to support that belief.

Theism, meanwhile, is for people who engage in wishful thinking.
Nevaeh

#145730 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It says to kill the "offering."
You said it didn't, you either ignored it or need to learn English. I suspect the latter at this point.
I'm sorry you have to insult people's intelligence to build yourself up. The fact that you do this, shows your lack there of. Again, this calls for 'Wisdom'...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 7 min woodtick57 2,407
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 13 min _Bad Company 23,208
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 15 min _Bad Company 163
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 17 hr Thinking 3
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... Sun Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... Sun Thinking 3
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Dec 20 Yiago 148
More from around the web