Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
139,921 - 139,940 of 224,013 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>His work made him famous. And because of his work there is no denying that he existed. Even though he has been dead for hundreds of years his work lives on. Because of his work you believe in him.

You have seen the work of God yet you deny that he’s real and the creator.
What work of god?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>Doctor, look at your comment,“may have played.”
What?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Any clues as to the answer to the question about shit?
It's what constitutes your brain?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>So Jesus is as much a fable as Socrates. OK
Is there evidence of Socrates' existence?

I've never actually looked.

Other than a handful of sayings attributed to him, I'm not very familiar.

I will admit to assuming he existed, but if that's doubtful, please enlighten me.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there evidence of Socrates' existence?
I've never actually looked.
Other than a handful of sayings attributed to him, I'm not very familiar.
I will admit to assuming he existed, but if that's doubtful, please enlighten me.
I am asocratesist, still looking for the evidence.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
She made off with one of my wisdom teeth, started a cult...
I hear it's quite successful.
It's based on one ultimate tooth.
The whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
But doesn't the bible, inspired by your omniscient god, SAY that the whole world was covered-even the highest mountains?
Yep, the same god who came up with this!

Leviticus 14:49 And he shall take to cleanse the house two birds, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop:

50 And he shall kill the one of the birds in an earthen vessel over running water:

51 And he shall take the cedar wood, and the hyssop, and the scarlet, and the living bird, and dip them in the blood of the slain bird, and in the running water, and sprinkle the house seven times:

52 And he shall cleanse the house with the blood of the bird, and with the running water, and with the living bird, and with the cedar wood, and with the hyssop, and with the scarlet:

53 But he shall let go the living bird out of the city into the open fields, and make an atonement for the house: and it shall be clean.

Anyone willing to try it?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So the flood was 15 cubits (whatever a cubit is) ABOVE the highest mountains.
A cubit is roughly 18" in.

So, 30' ft.

This is something I've noticed with Ar Ar, and other theists. They'll make these grand claims or bare assertions, then when it appears there is going to be an answer given that necessitates an acknowledgment of a term or admission of being mistaken, they will disappear for a few days, return, never mention it again if possible, and ideally move away from the ridiculous claim they made.

Ar Ar does it consistently.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
No! No! No! duckie 12 states that the flood was only 20ft high and in a small area. What does the god of the bible know?
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
His work made him famous. And because of his work there is no denying that he existed. Even though he has been dead for hundreds of years his work lives on. Because of his work you believe in him.
You have seen the work of God yet you deny that hes real and the creator.
Not just because of his work. There is evidence of his existence in many other ways.

No, I have NOT seen the "Work" of God. Why would I assume anything that is tremendously complex, and or, awe inspiring is the "work" of anything? In my opinion that is a very primitive response. I would instead, begin a search for what caused this complexity and beauty and not automatically defer to a God. Almost without exception science gives me the answer for these things, and what it doesn't answer I consider inserting an imaginary being for that answer, foolish. I have studied at great lengths various aspects of science so I can have a better understanding of the world around me. Here is a quote I find so very true. "I am against religion because it teaches you to NOT understand the world around us." And this:....."As soon as you say Goddidit, the journey is over. However when you say I don't know but lets try and find out, then and only then does the journey begin."

I know how stars, planets, moons, comets, and solar systems come to be its common knowledge. I pretty much know how life got its start on our planet. Science does not know exactly all the details, but the basic concept is solid.

God has always been the answer for things man can't understand. Thunder, lightning, tornados, volcanos, tsunamis, sickness. Every time science discovers one of these answers, the "god answer" is replaced with science. Your God has become an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance. Smaller and smaller, until poof....it will be gone. Oh, I'm sure there will always be people who will cling to the idea that a magical being is responsible for everything in spite of the evidence to the contrary, but that is their loss.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I dedicate this following clip to you.
After you see this you will never ride another ass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
I was hopeful that I was going to ride one tonight, now what the hell am I going to do? Are you positive of this?????
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, and so does the ideas and knowleedge of scientists, thank GOD!!
I'm not sure what KNOWLEEDGE is. Aren't you the one so quick to point our spelling errors?.........Yeah, I thought so. Here, maybe this will help.....KNOWLEDGE>,,,,,,,, ,see?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Today's scripture reading:

Numbers 11:31 And there went forth a wind from the Lord, and brought quails from the sea, and let them fall by the camp, as it were a day's journey on this side, and as it were a day's journey on the other side, round about the camp, and as it were two cubits high upon the face of the earth.

32 And the people stood up all that day, and all that night, and all the next day, and they gathered the quails: he that gathered least gathered ten homers: and they spread them all abroad for themselves round about the camp.

33 And while the flesh was yet between their teeth, ere it was chewed, the wrath of the Lord was kindled against the people, and the Lord smote the people with a very great plague.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
A cubit is roughly 18" in.
So, 30' ft.
This is something I've noticed with Ar Ar, and other theists. They'll make these grand claims or bare assertions, then when it appears there is going to be an answer given that necessitates an acknowledgment of a term or admission of being mistaken, they will disappear for a few days, return, never mention it again if possible, and ideally move away from the ridiculous claim they made.
Ar Ar does it consistently.
oops..

Correction; About 22' ft. over the tallest mountains.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Danger meets discovery: Top 10 science stories of 2012

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/28/tech/innovation...

What has religion done, in 2012?

Two young girls were shot for trying to get an education.

Pope Benedict XVI's butler Paolo Gabriele was convicted this morning of stealing the pope's private papers.

Piero Corsi, Italian Priest, Says 'Provocative' Women To Blame For Spate Of Domestic Violence

“I am but a humble duck.”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doctor, look at your comment,may have played.
Scientist have lots of hypothesis but they have not ever been able to create life from non living material. If life is so easy to replicate there would be life on mars.
We know theres water on mars and a hell of a lot of water in the past. Its dead, lifeless, nothing, nada. The conditions were there to sustain life but the planet is lifeless.
Actually, scientists have created life from non-living material. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/05/sci...

Life is not incredibly likely to form randomly. Doesn't mean it's impossible, however - there are countless planets out there which are very similar to earth.

Oh, and one hypothesis is that life actually started on Mars and was transported to earth via meteorite. We've only just begun to research the surface of the planet, though, so we won't know for quite some time.
Sher e Panjab

Donvale, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I really hope u'r not talking about sex!!!!
This guy on the other thread was talking about it.
kiddan... islam forum wich aava

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll take your word for that but his daughters seemed to be quite interested in sex or did I read that part wrong? Metaphor or allegory? How old was he then? Ewwwwwwwwwww, either way.....
Hi God, it's me Noah. Sorry about the incest thing but I'm a good boat builder. Got any work for me?
You have Noah confused with Lot.:)

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
But doesn't the bible, inspired by your omniscient god, SAY that the whole world was covered-even the highest mountains?
Where does it say that?

I would like to see the scripture where the bible says the whole world.

Yes, traditionally Christians believed it was the whole world. Some probably still do. But the bible didnt say the whole world.

The mountains were probably covered in snow like they are today.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It does not say 15 cubits above the highest mountains.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 28 min Liam R 12
Of Interest InTheNews 39 min Reason Personified 2
Our world came from nothing? 40 min Patrick 181
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Patrick 21,376
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 6 hr Buck Crick 356
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr Thinking 831
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 10 hr Patrick 1,285
•••
•••