Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#145690 Dec 29, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So the flood was 15 cubits (whatever a cubit is) ABOVE the highest mountains.
A cubit is roughly 18" in.

So, 30' ft.

This is something I've noticed with Ar Ar, and other theists. They'll make these grand claims or bare assertions, then when it appears there is going to be an answer given that necessitates an acknowledgment of a term or admission of being mistaken, they will disappear for a few days, return, never mention it again if possible, and ideally move away from the ridiculous claim they made.

Ar Ar does it consistently.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#145691 Dec 29, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So the flood was 15 cubits (whatever a cubit is) ABOVE the highest mountains.
No! No! No! duckie 12 states that the flood was only 20ft high and in a small area. What does the god of the bible know?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#145692 Dec 29, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
His work made him famous. And because of his work there is no denying that he existed. Even though he has been dead for hundreds of years his work lives on. Because of his work you believe in him.
You have seen the work of God yet you deny that he’s real and the creator.
Not just because of his work. There is evidence of his existence in many other ways.

No, I have NOT seen the "Work" of God. Why would I assume anything that is tremendously complex, and or, awe inspiring is the "work" of anything? In my opinion that is a very primitive response. I would instead, begin a search for what caused this complexity and beauty and not automatically defer to a God. Almost without exception science gives me the answer for these things, and what it doesn't answer I consider inserting an imaginary being for that answer, foolish. I have studied at great lengths various aspects of science so I can have a better understanding of the world around me. Here is a quote I find so very true. "I am against religion because it teaches you to NOT understand the world around us." And this:....."As soon as you say Goddidit, the journey is over. However when you say I don't know but lets try and find out, then and only then does the journey begin."

I know how stars, planets, moons, comets, and solar systems come to be its common knowledge. I pretty much know how life got its start on our planet. Science does not know exactly all the details, but the basic concept is solid.

God has always been the answer for things man can't understand. Thunder, lightning, tornados, volcanos, tsunamis, sickness. Every time science discovers one of these answers, the "god answer" is replaced with science. Your God has become an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance. Smaller and smaller, until poof....it will be gone. Oh, I'm sure there will always be people who will cling to the idea that a magical being is responsible for everything in spite of the evidence to the contrary, but that is their loss.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#145693 Dec 29, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I dedicate this following clip to you.
After you see this you will never ride another ass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =8NkgiFHEm0YXX
I was hopeful that I was going to ride one tonight, now what the hell am I going to do? Are you positive of this?????
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#145694 Dec 29, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, and so does the ideas and knowleedge of scientists, thank GOD!!
I'm not sure what KNOWLEEDGE is. Aren't you the one so quick to point our spelling errors?.........Yeah, I thought so. Here, maybe this will help.....KNOWLEDGE>,,,,,,,, ,see?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#145695 Dec 29, 2012
Today's scripture reading:

Numbers 11:31 And there went forth a wind from the Lord, and brought quails from the sea, and let them fall by the camp, as it were a day's journey on this side, and as it were a day's journey on the other side, round about the camp, and as it were two cubits high upon the face of the earth.

32 And the people stood up all that day, and all that night, and all the next day, and they gathered the quails: he that gathered least gathered ten homers: and they spread them all abroad for themselves round about the camp.

33 And while the flesh was yet between their teeth, ere it was chewed, the wrath of the Lord was kindled against the people, and the Lord smote the people with a very great plague.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#145696 Dec 29, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
A cubit is roughly 18" in.
So, 30' ft.
This is something I've noticed with Ar Ar, and other theists. They'll make these grand claims or bare assertions, then when it appears there is going to be an answer given that necessitates an acknowledgment of a term or admission of being mistaken, they will disappear for a few days, return, never mention it again if possible, and ideally move away from the ridiculous claim they made.
Ar Ar does it consistently.
oops..

Correction; About 22' ft. over the tallest mountains.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#145697 Dec 29, 2012
Danger meets discovery: Top 10 science stories of 2012

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/28/tech/innovation...

What has religion done, in 2012?

Two young girls were shot for trying to get an education.

Pope Benedict XVI's butler Paolo Gabriele was convicted this morning of stealing the pope's private papers.

Piero Corsi, Italian Priest, Says 'Provocative' Women To Blame For Spate Of Domestic Violence

“I am but a humble duck.”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#145698 Dec 29, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doctor, look at your comment,“may have played.”
Scientist have lots of hypothesis but they have not ever been able to create life from non living material. If life is so easy to replicate there would be life on mars.
We know there’s water on mars and a hell of a lot of water in the past. It’s dead, lifeless, nothing, nada. The conditions were there to sustain life but the planet is lifeless.
Actually, scientists have created life from non-living material. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/05/sci...

Life is not incredibly likely to form randomly. Doesn't mean it's impossible, however - there are countless planets out there which are very similar to earth.

Oh, and one hypothesis is that life actually started on Mars and was transported to earth via meteorite. We've only just begun to research the surface of the planet, though, so we won't know for quite some time.
Sher e Panjab

Donvale, Australia

#145699 Dec 29, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I really hope u'r not talking about sex!!!!
This guy on the other thread was talking about it.
kiddan... islam forum wich aava

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#145700 Dec 29, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll take your word for that but his daughters seemed to be quite interested in sex or did I read that part wrong? Metaphor or allegory? How old was he then? Ewwwwwwwwwww, either way.....
Hi God, it's me Noah. Sorry about the incest thing but I'm a good boat builder. Got any work for me?
You have Noah confused with Lot.:)

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#145701 Dec 29, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
But doesn't the bible, inspired by your omniscient god, SAY that the whole world was covered-even the highest mountains?
Where does it say that?

I would like to see the scripture where the bible says the “whole world.”

Yes, traditionally Christians believed it was the whole world. Some probably still do. But the bible didn’t say the “whole world.”

The mountains were probably covered in snow like they are today.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#145703 Dec 29, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So the flood was 15 cubits (whatever a cubit is) ABOVE the highest mountains.
It does not say 15 cubits above the highest mountains.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#145704 Dec 29, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have Noah confused with Lot.:)
No.

It(Noah and the Flood) was just another story in the book of myth that dealt with the subject of incest. The story of Lot was just another.

Incest was a common theme in the mythic bible. It was condoned, and even necessitated or brought about by the actions of the deity at times.

The Yahweh sure did like him some incest.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#145705 Dec 29, 2012
WesTheDuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, scientists have created life from non-living material. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/05/sci...
Life is not incredibly likely to form randomly. Doesn't mean it's impossible, however - there are countless planets out there which are very similar to earth.
Oh, and one hypothesis is that life actually started on Mars and was transported to earth via meteorite. We've only just begun to research the surface of the planet, though, so we won't know for quite some time.
Note:“Scientist created,” the DNA didn’t self create. Then scientist injected the man made DNA into a cell. The DNA then replicated itself. This is a case of forced assembly.

Man-made DNA has booted up a cell for the first time.
In a feat that is the culmination of two and a half years of tests and adjustments, researchers at the J. Craig Venter Institute inserted artificial genetic material — chemically printed, synthesized and assembled — into cells that were then able to grow naturally.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#145706 Dec 29, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does it say that?
I would like to see the scripture where the bible says the “whole world.”
Yes, traditionally Christians believed it was the whole world. Some probably still do. But the bible didn’t say the “whole world.”
The mountains were probably covered in snow like they are today.
This has been shown or taught to you once before, here: http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Genesis 7:19 When the waters had swelled much more upon the earth, all the highest mountains everywhere under the sky were *(covered)*.(Gen 7:19 TNK) Tanakh Masoretic Text.

TAR Genesis 7:19 ??????????TAR Genesis 7:19)The Targumim, Aramaic Old Testament (not sure font will show)

Here's the Septuagint for shits and giggles.
LXT Genesis 7:19 t? d??d???pe???te? sf?d?a sf?d????p? t??????a?*(?pe?????e?)* p??ta t???? t??????????p???t? t?????a???(Gen 7:19 LXT)

Covered means completely submerged. No room for variance there.

Explain how a massive local flood (covered) all "highest" mountains under the sky.

"all the highest mountains everywhere under the sky were (covered)"<<<Fro m Genesis.

Explain how it is in the words of your mythical deity talking to the Noah myth, said it will never>>>"again destroy all living things, as I have done"<<<when it never destroyed all living things to begin with.

Your deity either destroyed all living things in a global flood, or, it didn't in a local flood.

Your deity either covered "all highest mountains under the sky:, or it didn't.

Sure, go ahead and say it was a local flood. Now fill in the blanks and inconsistencies that arise when you do that.

You can't.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#145707 Dec 29, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It does not say 15 cubits above the highest mountains.
Sure it does.

And the waters prevailed exceedingly on the earth, and all the high hills under the whole heaven were covered. The waters prevailed fifteen cubits upward, and the mountains were covered (Genesis 7:19–20).

"To what degree they increased: they rose so high that not only the low flat countries were deluged, but to make sure work, and that none might escape, the tops of the highest mountains were overflowed-fifteen cubits, that is, seven yards and a half; so that in vain was salvation hoped for from hills or mountains" Jer. 3:23

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#145708 Dec 29, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It does not say 15 cubits above the highest mountains.
You are correct, if you use the original Hebrew and not the modern translations:

http://www.noahs-ark-flood.com/creation.htm

Which also means it wasn't global.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#145709 Dec 29, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Note:“Scientist created,” the DNA didn’t self create. Then scientist injected the man made DNA into a cell. The DNA then replicated itself. This is a case of forced assembly.
Man-made DNA has booted up a cell for the first time.
In a feat that is the culmination of two and a half years of tests and adjustments, researchers at the J. Craig Venter Institute inserted artificial genetic material — chemically printed, synthesized and assembled — into cells that were then able to grow naturally.
Self replication occurs after something exists or is organized, something that is not formed cannot replicated.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#145710 Dec 29, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>Where does it say that?

I would like to see the scripture where the bible says the “whole world.”

Yes, traditionally Christians believed it was the whole world. Some probably still do. But the bible didn’t say the “whole world.”

The mountains were probably covered in snow like they are today.
Genesis 7

18 And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters.
19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God' existence 37 min thetruth 86
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 42 min thetruth 40
$13.5m for jehovah’s witness sex victim 48 min thetruth 3
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 hr serfs up 2,617
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 4 hr thetruth 10
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 4 hr thetruth 21
Evidence for God! 4 hr thetruth 371
More from around the web