Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,995)

Showing posts 139,881 - 139,900 of223,976
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I really hope u'r not talking about sex!!!!
This guy on the other thread was talking about it.
I know that wasn't me.

Laffin.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're math isn't adding up.
"At that rate there was 150 tons per second of rain falling on the decks of Noah's ark"
You're implying that there was 150 tons of water falling per second around the world to make up the height of Mt Everest in 40 days & nights.
Somehow you think that all the rainclouds were only above the ark, not around the world....
So which is is? Was there 150 tons of water falling for 40 days & 40 nights or not?
The radius of the Earth is approx: 6370 km
The height of Everest above sea-level is approx: 8.8 km
Therefore, the volume of the Earth is approx: 1,082,696,932,000 km³
Or 1,082 trillion cubic Kilometres.

The volume of the earth to the height of Everest is: 1,087,190,293,000 km³
Subtracting: first volume - second gives approx: 4,493,361,000
Or 4,500 million cubic Kilometres of water.

In addition, this rain is supposed to have fallen within about 40 days. That means that there would have been about 220m of rainfall every day over the entire planet (8800/40 = 220)! A few centimetres in a day are considered extremely heavy rain.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if Noah was, let's round it off to 600 years old, how many kids and grandkids did he have? That has to take up a lot of room on the ark, right? These people had no idea about contraceptives, right? You'd be lucky to get two guinea pigs and a parakeet on that boat.
The first year is always the busiest when it comes to practicing reproduction. Then it starts to taper off a good bit each year. By the time he was 600 years old. The fun stuff probably didn’t happen as often as you might think.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Try it again, this time where the flood took place, near Mt Ararat, 16,000 ft I think.
Also, don't assume that was a natural event. Remember "the floodgates of the heavens opened".....
Also keep in mind that I don't believe the whole world was covered in water. I think it's a symbolic narrative describing the cleansing of humanity through The Lord.
"And the waters prevailed exceedingly on the earth, and all the high hills under the whole heaven were covered. The waters prevailed fifteen cubits upward, and the mountains were covered" (Genesis 7:19–20).

And all flesh died that moved on the earth: birds and cattle and beasts and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, and every man. All in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life, all that was on the dry land, died (Genesis 7:21–22)

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
"And the waters prevailed exceedingly on the earth, and all the high hills under the whole heaven were covered. The waters prevailed fifteen cubits upward, and the mountains were covered" (Genesis 7:19–20).
And all flesh died that moved on the earth: birds and cattle and beasts and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, and every man. All in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life, all that was on the dry land, died (Genesis 7:21–22)

Shoot.... it even rained at night.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You"re attempting to make a correlation between something KNOWN and something UNKNOWN, it's a desperate attempt to put your God in the naturalistic realm. Beethoven was real, there is much evidence for Beethoven, non, for your God.
His work made him famous. And because of his work there is no denying that he existed. Even though he has been dead for hundreds of years his work lives on. Because of his work you believe in him.

You have seen the work of God yet you deny that he’s real and the creator.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I have studied his scores at great length, he has a particular writing style, he did things no other composers of that time period dared to do. Besides pictorial evidence, busts, and extensive documentation of his works, we have scores done in his own hand, how much more evidence does one need? Also take particular notice that everything that can be said concerning evidence for Beethoven, cannot be said for either Jesus or your God.
People have been talking about Jesus for thousands of years. Beethoven just a few hundred.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You completely ignored my post on the composition of early Earths atmosphere and the role that ultraviolet light may have played in the formation of simple life. Instead you rant about how music composition somehow equates to your imaginary God creating the universe. As they say "You can lead a horse to water but"..........you know then rest. Sorry I wasted my time.
Doctor, look at your comment,“may have played.”

Scientist have lots of hypothesis but they have not ever been able to create life from non living material. If life is so easy to replicate there would be life on mars.

We know there’s water on mars and a hell of a lot of water in the past. It’s dead, lifeless, nothing, nada. The conditions were there to sustain life but the planet is lifeless.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

River Tam wrote:
She's a Dentist.
She made off with one of my wisdom teeth, started a cult...

I hear it's quite successful.

It's based on one ultimate tooth.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The first year is always the busiest when it comes to practicing reproduction. Then it starts to taper off a good bit each year. By the time he was 600 years old. The fun stuff probably didn’t happen as often as you might think.
I'll take your word for that but his daughters seemed to be quite interested in sex or did I read that part wrong? Metaphor or allegory? How old was he then? Ewwwwwwwwwww, either way.....

Hi God, it's me Noah. Sorry about the incest thing but I'm a good boat builder. Got any work for me?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

4594, on the docks.

Bring the red treasure chest.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you don't know what godbot means, let me enlighten you:-
GODBOT:(noun)
someone programmed from birth to follow religious leaders' every wish; often indoctrinated in Christian fellowships closed off to free thinkers. Extremely dangerous when church leaders use the GodBots to harm other non-GodBots.
GODBOTIC (verb) used to describe the hateful actions perpetuated by Christian people who won't listen to reason or logic.(thanks, Anonymous at Datalounge, whoever you are)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...
Still proud are we?
Of course, any name with GOD in it, and sent my way is a compliment ~ but thanks for the laugh, you are a real crack up :)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
No stars.
When is the first and last time you ever sat down next to an atheist and you knew it?
I fly a lot.
When is the first and last time you ever sat down next to me and knew I was an atheist and a homosexual?
You never know when you get on a plane. You could be sharing an armrest with a homo god denier.
You should always carry the antibacterial wipes.
Any clues as to the answer to the question about shit?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I prefer CHRISTARDS, seems to reflect the mentality a little better.
I like that one too!!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doctor, look at your comment,“may have played.”
Scientist have lots of hypothesis but they have not ever been able to create life from non living material. If life is so easy to replicate there would be life on mars.
We know there’s water on mars and a hell of a lot of water in the past. It’s dead, lifeless, nothing, nada. The conditions were there to sustain life but the planet is lifeless.
So by being honest and saying we don't know perfectly 100% about something we're the ones wrong while you claim to know everything yet present no evidence to support it.

Now let's look at your words, "The conditions were there to sustain life but" ... notice the past tense. Things change, that is the most constant aspect of the universe.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So by being honest and saying we don't know perfectly 100% about something we're the ones wrong while you claim to know everything yet present no evidence to support it.
Now let's look at your words, "The conditions were there to sustain life but" ... notice the past tense. Things change, that is the most constant aspect of the universe.
Yep, and so does the ideas and knowleedge of scientists, thank GOD!!

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, and so does the ideas and knowleedge of scientists, thank GOD!!
So ... you prefer to be a liar. Good to see you admit it.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So ... you prefer to be a liar. Good to see you admit it.
Never attribute to malice what can easily be explained by ignorance. <smile>

OK, you are free to tell me to practice what I preach. I deserve it.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Any clues as to the answer to the question about shit?
Yes.

You don't want to hear it and I don't want to say it.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Never attribute to malice what can easily be explained by ignorance. <smile>
OK, you are free to tell me to practice what I preach. I deserve it.
lol Yet, if i did tell you that for this particular example, I'd also be entering the realm of hypocrisy. The problem is that most malice is the result of ignorance, so the two concepts are virtually synonymous.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 139,881 - 139,900 of223,976
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
How anti-atheist stigma affects the mental heal... 3 hr NightSerf 1
A Really Good Thing 4 hr NightSerf 1
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr NightSerf 150
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 4 hr Richardfs 2
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Richardfs 830
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 hr Mikko 21,376
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 11 hr religionisillness 349
•••
•••