Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144888 Dec 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, of course freedom has limits. Laws set up by a legislator both on a local, state and national level.

But I’m talking about freedom like to travel freely, to live where you so desire, the kind of car you like, the type of house you choose, your choice for elected leaders, your profession, your vocation, your clothes, your shoes, your hairstyle, and of course ones right to freely believe in God.

If you really embrace freedom then you would have no problem with people living and being free to choose.

So again I ask do you believe in freedom of choice?
I'd love to be able to travel freely.

And I can think of any number of houses I'd rather have.

Funny thing about freedom.

It ain't free.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144889 Dec 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, of course freedom has limits. Laws set up by a legislator both on a local, state and national level.

But I’m talking about freedom like to travel freely, to live where you so desire, the kind of car you like, the type of house you choose, your choice for elected leaders, your profession, your vocation, your clothes, your shoes, your hairstyle, and of course ones right to freely believe in God.

If you really embrace freedom then you would have no problem with people living and being free to choose.

So again I ask do you believe in freedom of choice?
And...if you really believed in freedom, you would not be trying to legislate your morals or injecting your religion in public schools.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144890 Dec 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Wiki:

African Grey Parrot:

Unlike other parrots, wild African Greys have been documented imitating the calls of several other species.

Irene Pepperberg's research with captive African Greys, most notably with a bird named Alex, has scientifically demonstrated they possess the ability to associate simple human words with meanings, and to intelligently apply the abstract concepts of shape, colour, number, zero-sense, etc.

According to Pepperberg and other ornithologists, they perform many cognitive tasks at the level of dolphins, chimpanzees, and even human toddlers.

Many pet Congo African Greys learn to speak in their second or third year.[citation needed] Timnehs are generally observed to start speaking earlier.[citation needed] Both subspecies seem to have same ability and tendency to produce human speech, but vocal ability and proclivity may range widely among individual birds.

One notable African Grey is N'kisi, which in 2004 was said to have a vocabulary of over 950 words and, like Pepperberg's Alex, was noted for creative use of language. For example, when Jane Goodall visited N'kisi in his New York home, he greeted her with "Got a chimp?" because he had seen pictures of her with chimpanzees in Africa.

A study published in 2011, led by Dalila Bovet of Paris West University Nanterre La Défense, demonstrated African Grey parrots were able to coordinate and collaborate with each other to an extent. They were able to solve problems set by scientists—for example, two birds could pull strings at the same time to obtain food. In another example, one bird stood on a perch to release a food-laden tray, while the other pulled the tray out from the test apparatus. Both would then feed.

The birds in question were observed waiting for their partners to perform the necessary actions so their behaviour could be synchronized. The parrots appeared to express individual preferences as to which of the other test birds they would work with.
Did they tell each other what to do?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144891 Dec 22, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>Love and compassion.
Thank you.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144892 Dec 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>Just like in those infomercials,“But wait, there’s more, you get..”

A promise that your loved ones are forever gone and never to be reunited. A ideology that believes death is final and brings eternal darkness and nothingness to those who have died.

Snarling criticism, an outlet for hate, hopelessness, an elevated sadness, no forgiveness, intolerance, bleakness, depression, gloominess, despondency, and no healing for the soul.
And you give them promises you can't possibly know.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144894 Dec 22, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I have received messages that without doubt have come from those who are in the new Realm, the hereafter, and if I did ever have doubts, which I may have on occasion although I cannot recall any, they have taken away any doubt and just deepened my Faith and watered my Hope :)
There's medication for that.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144895 Dec 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>I just don't know what it looked like.

But this we do know, The African Grey Parrot can talk and one bird in research learned how to speak 950 words.

Some even have a sense of humor. People who claim animals can’t talk need to read up on the African Grey Parrot.
You're dodging and you know it.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144896 Dec 22, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>They can speak , but don't really talk.
Toothed whales and apes and surprisingly crocodiles may have the capacity to , but not the ability. Some dogs can and seem to understand enough to make short sentances and know what they are saying.
Birds mostly are mimicking though , it's doubtful they have any concept of what they are saying. So it isn't really talking .
My ex has a cat that can say "mama".

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#144897 Dec 22, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you have the memory of a goldfish:-
" Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I think you might mean Atheists here, G, and not Atheism. I can't see how one can get love and compassion from Atheism, but then again, it is a road I have never walked :)"
In particular "I can't see how one can get love and compassion from Atheism"
In other words you are just another ignorant, bigoted, godbot who thinks the only people to have human emotions are those who believe in a sky daddy.
You are pathetic.
Ugh.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#144898 Dec 22, 2012
Well played! I wonder how they would like it if their kids were forced to say a pledge to Allah everyday?
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
And...if you really believed in freedom, you would not be trying to legislate your morals or injecting your religion in public schools.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#144899 Dec 22, 2012
Which makes me wonder if we could end the scourge of religions by using proper medication and counseling to treat their condition?
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
There's medication for that.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#144900 Dec 22, 2012
23Dec12.....

....and the WholeWideWorld according to BobLoblah.....

"If the rate of expansion of the Universe is greater than Zero -something virtually ALL physicists agree on - at the end of the day an absolute beginning point will be reached prior to which the Universe and multiverse (a combimation of Universes) were NOTHING.

Physical reality itself 'was' Nothing and the 'One' thing about Nothing is that it's Nothing.

The 'Second' thing that is known about Nothing is that Nothing can only do Nothing, and IF the only thing Nothing can do is Nothing, then the whole of physical reality, configured as Universe or Multiverse was Nothing.

The scientific evidence points only toward a 'Created Universe'....beyond the 'Big Bang' theory.

'There is Something Else, and that Something Else has to transcend the Universe and be powerful enough to literally create it.

..and then, as soon as you begin to investigate the cosmological constants, the initial conditions of the Universe and Multiverse, and when the fine-tuning paradoxes are looked at, virtually EVERY physicist...including Hawkin...., has admitted, that the Creator is not just transcedent and powerful BUT really, really Smart.

Culture is mired in materialism and has lost the sense of Eternal Dignity.

Someone always poses the question about the existence of GOD and whether its really known that Jesus walked upon this Earth.
The answer is 'Yes'...BobLoblah thinks that we do so know. And what exactly, is BobLoblah's point??? This contemporary approach is given to us almost as a gift from GOD.

A good argument will 'convince' a 'Reasonable man' and that a proof will convince even an Unreasonable one.

Well, the proof is in place. Cosmologists cannot even hide behind the possibility of a PAST eternal Universe. They MUST 'confront' the reality.

A certain Dr. Eben Alexander, a Harvard-trained neurosurgeon wrote about his Near-Death experience after being in a coma for seven days with his cortex completely shut down. He was 'clinically dead' and he was monitored the whole time and he actually had these experiences. It could be shown that there was NO physical activity that produced it. He ultimately believed and still does that he was near to GOD.

There are really good studies taking place in multiple hospitals that give evidence that human beings survive bodily death, that humans have a soul that literally leaves the body.

Love, as taught to us by Jesus Christ, is the Greatest Commandment and the redemptive view of suffering.

ALL Roman Catholics and many, many other Christians are grounded in Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit is with them.

Human beings are transcendent and destined for Eternal Destiny and Dignity.

It must be stated, preached, taught, and Realized.

Ps:.....There are more things between Heaven and Earth than man could ever dream off (Jesus Christ)".

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144901 Dec 22, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
23Dec12.....

....and the WholeWideWorld according to BobLoblah.....

"If the rate of expansion of the Universe is greater than Zero -something virtually ALL physicists agree on - at the end of the day an absolute beginning point will be reached prior to which the Universe and multiverse (a combimation of Universes) were NOTHING.

Physical reality itself 'was' Nothing and the 'One' thing about Nothing is that it's Nothing.

The 'Second' thing that is known about Nothing is that Nothing can only do Nothing, and IF the only thing Nothing can do is Nothing, then the whole of physical reality, configured as Universe or Multiverse was Nothing.

The scientific evidence points only toward a 'Created Universe'....beyond the 'Big Bang' theory.

'There is Something Else, and that Something Else has to transcend the Universe and be powerful enough to literally create it.

..and then, as soon as you begin to investigate the cosmological constants, the initial conditions of the Universe and Multiverse, and when the fine-tuning paradoxes are looked at, virtually EVERY physicist...including Hawkin...., has admitted, that the Creator is not just transcedent and powerful BUT really, really Smart.

Culture is mired in materialism and has lost the sense of Eternal Dignity.

Someone always poses the question about the existence of GOD and whether its really known that Jesus walked upon this Earth.
The answer is 'Yes'...BobLoblah thinks that we do so know. And what exactly, is BobLoblah's point??? This contemporary approach is given to us almost as a gift from GOD.

A good argument will 'convince' a 'Reasonable man' and that a proof will convince even an Unreasonable one.

Well, the proof is in place. Cosmologists cannot even hide behind the possibility of a PAST eternal Universe. They MUST 'confront' the reality.

A certain Dr. Eben Alexander, a Harvard-trained neurosurgeon wrote about his Near-Death experience after being in a coma for seven days with his cortex completely shut down. He was 'clinically dead' and he was monitored the whole time and he actually had these experiences. It could be shown that there was NO physical activity that produced it. He ultimately believed and still does that he was near to GOD.

There are really good studies taking place in multiple hospitals that give evidence that human beings survive bodily death, that humans have a soul that literally leaves the body.

Love, as taught to us by Jesus Christ, is the Greatest Commandment and the redemptive view of suffering.

ALL Roman Catholics and many, many other Christians are grounded in Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit is with them.

Human beings are transcendent and destined for Eternal Destiny and Dignity.

It must be stated, preached, taught, and Realized.

Ps:.....There are more things between Heaven and Earth than man could ever dream off (Jesus Christ)".

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
I.e., we don't know.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#144902 Dec 22, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I.e., we don't know.
23Dec12.....

....Vell 'airBatty', reasoning is NOT von of yer strong points, ya schidt-for-brains.

Ps:.....Your hell is your 'not knowing'. Continue on in darknes ya confirmed eeejit.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#144903 Dec 22, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>23Dec12.....
....Vell 'airBatty', reasoning is NOT von of yer strong points, ya schidt-for-brains.
Ps:.....Your hell is your 'not knowing'. Continue on in darknes ya confirmed eeejit.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
You get more insane as the days go by.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#144904 Dec 22, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus suggested one pray in private.
hahahaaa

Suggested?

How long will it be before that becomes "hinted that"?

"The New Christianity; It means whatever you want it to mean."

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144905 Dec 22, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>23Dec12.....
....Vell 'airBatty', reasoning is NOT von of yer strong points, ya schidt-for-brains.
Ps:.....Your hell is your 'not knowing'. Continue on in darknes ya confirmed eeejit.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
Actually, my heaven is not knowing.

It makes the future something to look forward to.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#144907 Dec 22, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
hahahaaa
Suggested?
How long will it be before that becomes "hinted that"?
"The New Christianity; It means whatever you want it to mean."
According to the Bible, Jesus did not hint at it or suggest it, he command it:

"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:6

I wonder why so many "christians" either know so little about Jesus or lie about what Jesus taught ?

If I believed Jesus was God then I would learn everything He said to do, and make sure I did it!

IMHO, Christians actually prove they DON'T believe in Jesus.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#144908 Dec 22, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Bible, Jesus did not hint at it or suggest it, he command it:
"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:6
I wonder why so many "christians" either know so little about Jesus or lie about what Jesus taught ?
If I believed Jesus was God then I would learn everything He said to do, and make sure I did it!
IMHO, Christians actually prove they DON'T believe in Jesus.
Yeah, especially @ "If I believed Jesus was God then I would learn everything He said to do, and make sure I did it!"

They really don't get that the deity they worship is a stickler for the details. If I believed it to be true, I'd be following it to the letter, and still wondering if I was gonna make it.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#144909 Dec 22, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes parrots can be trained to mimic our speech. Yawn. So what? The myth mentions no birds but a serpent.
So you don't know what it looked like. In that case we can only go by the bible myth which states it was a snake. Perhaps a snake that could slither up trees but after that could only slither on the ground.
Regardless a talking snake. Very convincing.
Lmfao!
<quoted text>
The pre curse serpent was not a snake.

And the African Grey Parrot has proven to understand human language and talk in our language.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confessions of a black atheist 21 min Thinking 17
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 27 min Patrick n Angela 6,422
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 30 min MikeF 17,978
News The Consequences of Atheism 1 hr Thinking 1,120
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 2 hr Freebird USA 9,246
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 14 hr DebraE 14,498
News In the Search for an Alternative to God, One Ra... (Mar '11) 19 hr Patrick n Angela 692
More from around the web