Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
138,981 - 139,000 of 226,389 Comments Last updated 30 min ago

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#144702 Dec 21, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
One thing I will never understand about some atheist is the passionate anger. Why do you get so worked up over someoneís personal choice to exercise freedom of religion?
If I was an atheist I wouldnít spend 5 minutes getting all worked up over what someone believes.
Itís a personal choice people have. It doesnít hurt you but yet we see all this negative energy coming from you and a few others. OK, you donít believe in God. Thatís your personal choice. Iím not angry with you about that.
I donít hate you because you are an atheist. My Dear sweet father was an atheist most of his adult life. I loved him very much. I wasnít angry with his personal choice. Him and I had many discussions about God and religion.
If I was an atheist I wouldnít be wasting my time here on topix. I would be trying to live my life to itís fullest considering atheist believe they have one life. I just donít understand the anger. Why? No one is making you believe something you donít want to believe.
You are a free man. Why so much anger?
You're an idiot with no proof of god. Why do you even speak to us? Go back to your cave and talk to thin air and judge everyone else like the rest of your failed cult.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#144703 Dec 21, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not anger.
But your religion does most definitely affect my life. If it didn't, I wouldn't care.
Religion in this country affects what we teach in science ... it affects women's right to control their own healthcare decisions ... it affects what I can buy at the store on Sunday ... it affects my taxes to continue to give religions a pass on paying their part.
Religion in this country has pushed itself into our pledge and onto our money, both of which were secular when I was born.
Religion in our world continues to violate basic human rights and kill people everyday.
So, yeah, I do care. And I for one am in the Topix Atheism Forum whenever I have time to kill to defend my right to be respected and treated as an equal. And because non-theists have finally reached a large enough population that we can be heard, I find myself constantly defending my Humanism against all the negative straw man mischaracterizations and rash statements of bigotry that Christians spew out on a regular basis.
If you could just see yourselves once from this side, you'd understand why I always feel like I need to wash my hands after dealing with a Christian.
I find Christians to be becoming more narrow minded and shifting toward right wing agendas as well as some even seemingly wishing this country a theocracy also. It is sort of frightening really.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#144704 Dec 21, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I find Christians to be becoming more narrow minded and shifting toward right wing agendas as well as some even seemingly wishing this country a theocracy also. It is sort of frightening really.
That's what happens when idiots think that they're "thinking".

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144705 Dec 21, 2012
christianity is EVIL wrote:
Several weeks ago, a ground-breaking study on religious belief and social well-being was published in the Journal of Religion & Society. Comparing 18 prosperous democracies from the U.S. to New Zealand, author Gregory S Paul quietly demolished the myth that faith strengthens society.

Drawing on a wide range of studies to cross-match faith ¬Ė measured by belief in God and acceptance of evolution ¬Ė with homicide and intimate behavior, Paul found that secular societies have lower rates of violence and teenage pregnancy than societies where many people profess belief in God.

Top of the class, in both atheism and good behavior, come the Japanese. Over eighty percent accept evolution and fewer than ten percent are certain that God exists. Despite its size ¬Ė over a hundred million people ¬Ė Japan is one of the least crime-prone countries in the world. It also has the lowest rates of teenage pregnancy of any developed nation.

(Teenage pregnancy has less tragic consequences than violence but it is usually unwanted, and it is frequently associated with deprivation among both mothers and children. In general, it is a Bad Thing.)

Next in line are the Norwegians, British, Germans and Dutch. At least sixty percent accept evolution as a fact and fewer than one in three are convinced that there is a deity. There is little teenage pregnancy , although the Brits, with over 40 pregnancies per 1,000 girls a year, do twice as badly as the others. Homicide rates are also low -- around 1-2 victims per 100,000 people a year.

At the other end of the scale comes America. Over 50 percent of Americans believe in God, and only 40 percent accept some form of evolution (many believe it had a helping hand from the Deity). The U.S. has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy and homicide rates are at least five times greater than in Europe and ten times higher than in Japan.

All this information points to a strong correlation between faith and antisocial behavior -- a correlation so strong that there is good reason to suppose that religious belief does more harm than good.

At first glance that is a preposterous suggestion, given that religions preach non-violence and intimate restraint. However, close inspection reveals a different story. Faith tends to weaken rather than strengthen people’s ability to participate in society. That makes it less likely they will respect social customs and laws.

All believers learn that God holds them responsible for their actions. So far so good, but for many, belief absolves them of all other responsibilities. Consciously or subconsciously, those who are "born again" or "chosen" have diminished respect for others who do not share their sect or their faith. Convinced that only the Bible offers "truth", they lose their intellectual curiosity and their ability to reason. Their priority becomes not the world they live in but themselves.

The more people prioritize themselves rather than those around them, the weaker society becomes and the greater the likelihood of antisocial behavior. Hence gun laws which encourage Americans to see each other not as fellow human beings who deserve protection, but as potential aggressors who deserve to die. And hence a health care system which looks after the wealthy rather than the ill.

As for sex¬Ö Faith encourages ignorance rather than responsible behavior. In other countries, sex education includes contraception, reducing the risk of unwanted pregnancies. Such an approach recognizes that young people have the right to make their own choices and helps them make decisions that benefit society as a whole. In America faith-driven abstinence programs deny them that right -- "As a Christian I will only help you if you do what I say". The result is soaring rates of unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.
Excellent post.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144706 Dec 21, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>We don't say that our God is the true one, but our Indian religions say that there is ONLY one 'God'! The 'God' is the same in all religions, they all worship the creator, but our understanding of it is different.

It's NOT the one God belief that has torn us apart, it's all the other beliefs about that one God that have torn us apart. The people who put to one side their beliefs about God and only who recognise the ONE God, don't fight about anything.

That one 'God' is within our hearts, it's our conscience!
I have a conscience, yet I have no god.

How do you explain that?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144707 Dec 21, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>Well, that's your belief, u believe that, I want to believe mine!
Exactly.

You WANT to believe.

And you recognize that, which is a good thing.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144708 Dec 21, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>I think I answered your question in post above.

Look, religion did not come to teach us science, pls keep religion and science separate.

I know what Stephen Hawking's said, I saw his documentary, it was very interesting.

The God is the same, but I do believe that the sikh/original hindu understanding of 'God' was better for us humans, under the power of the Guru people were treated equally; skin colour, money, gender, was not important, everyone was looked at as the children of God and the sibling's of destiny! We are on this planet to help each other in every way! We should be doing that, not killing each other and telling each other you going to hell if u don't believe in God.
Very good.

But can't all that be done WITHOUT god?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#144709 Dec 21, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Oh? So not yet knowing its cause is automatically "God did it"?
Is that your point? If so, what caused "God"?
<quoted text>
Really? So you're *not* claiming that a god exists?
<quoted text>
And you calculate this probability how, exactly?
Since you've already suggested you believe in the concept of eternity why would the possibility of an eternal being seem so foreign to you? Perhaps its because your argument is more likely based on emotion and ideology.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144710 Dec 21, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>One thing I will never understand about some atheist is the passionate anger. Why do you get so worked up over someone’s personal choice to exercise freedom of religion?
If I was an atheist I wouldn’t spend 5 minutes getting all worked up over what someone believes.

It’s a personal choice people have. It doesn’t hurt you but yet we see all this negative energy coming from you and a few others. OK, you don’t believe in God. That’s your personal choice. I’m not angry with you about that.

I don’t hate you because you are an atheist. My Dear sweet father was an atheist most of his adult life. I loved him very much. I wasn’t angry with his personal choice. Him and I had many discussions about God and religion.

If I was an atheist I wouldn’t be wasting my time here on topix. I would be trying to live my life to it’s fullest considering atheist believe they have one life. I just don’t understand the anger. Why? No one is making you believe something you don’t want to believe.

You are a free man. Why so much anger?
Because many Christians feels it's their religious obligation to infect the rest of the world with THEIR personal beliefs.

Stop doing that, and you'll see the atheists here start leaving you alone in your ignorance.

Location hidden

#144711 Dec 21, 2012
christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
not necesarily,
maybe its part of Multiverse,from which it originated,
and simply existed in different form or shape,,
How silly. What is the origin of the multiverse? Apparently you too believe in an eternal entity.Just not one labled God. More emotion and ideologically based opinion.

Location hidden

#144712 Dec 21, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.
You WANT to believe.
And you recognize that, which is a good thing.
Since existence or non-existence of any diety remains unproveable all ANY of us has ia beliefs.Which is more likely is a matter of personal opinion.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144713 Dec 21, 2012
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>Since you've already suggested you believe in the concept of eternity why would the possibility of an eternal being seem so foreign to you? Perhaps its because your argument is more likely based on emotion and ideology.
The CONCEPT of an eternal being is easy to understand.

What's difficult to understand is so many people's insistence that they KNOW one exists without a shred of evidence and, in fact, in the face of overwhelming evidence AGAINST any of the so far described eternal entities.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144714 Dec 21, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You need a sextant for #3. When Christ supposedly died on the cross, ALL of the dead rose from their graves and roamed around town. I prefer the comical explanation "Plague of zombies." Of course it never happened, just more Christian bullshit.
You need an accurate clock, too.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144715 Dec 21, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>(There's more than one...)
Hmmmm.

Now I'm stumped.

I only know of one.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#144716 Dec 21, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text><chuckles>...you use science...a man made phenomenon, to try and refute the existence of an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent God?
God...where ALL knowledge and wisdom originates, God, who is infinitely more knowledgeable than any human that ever exist. God, who created the human. You want to use a weak creation like a human being that can barely live to be 70 and only has knowledge(Science)that God wants the human to know. That is what you want to use to disprove God?
ROFLMBO...you atheists are so cute in your hubris :)
Make believe does not work - sorry

#144717 Dec 21, 2012

A Message for anyone missing the subtle wit and sunny disposition of Double Fine.

He is safe and well so no one worry, heís just having internet problems at the moment.

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#144718 Dec 21, 2012
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you've already suggested you believe in the concept of eternity why would the possibility of an eternal being seem so foreign to you? Perhaps its because your argument is more likely based on emotion and ideology.
Eternal is not a quality that can exist in this universe. But more importantly it actually does violate the laws of thermodynamics. What this means is if there were a eternal being that created this universe, he did so forever banishing itself from it. It could be possible this happened , but in the same respect to give this dimensionless being a human appearance is preposterous and illogical.

#144719 Dec 21, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God is not subject to our laws of nature.
Try again.
So you repeatedly say but you never offer any evidence of your ďinterpretationĒ ever.

What is happening here is I am showing evidence of a fact and you are saying itís untrue because you say so. Right, ok, all you are showing here is evidence of your incredulity

#144720 Dec 21, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh the atheist redirect ploy.
Is it? Please show me a talking snake and I will withdraw my statement.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144721 Dec 21, 2012
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Since existence or non-existence of any diety remains unproveable all ANY of us has ia beliefs.Which is more likely is a matter of personal opinion.
Exactly.

So stop trying to legislate and educate as though it's fact.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Ultimate Evidence of God 12 min Patrick 63
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 5 hr Jaimie 57
The myth of the angry atheist 6 hr _Bad Company 1
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 7 hr Patrick 7
100% Faith Free 8 hr CunningLinguist 14
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 8 hr CunningLinguist 39
Our world came from nothing? 9 hr CunningLinguist 427
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••