Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#144681 Dec 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's demonstrably true. Nobody is pre condemned to heaven or hell. That is a choice you make.
God does accept anyone that seeks Him.
He won't accept you if you're pretending to seek Him just to prove Him wrong.
"It's DEMONSTRABLY TRUE." The please, by all means demonstrate to us, in REALITY, that what you say is true. No Magical bullshit now, demonstrable means you can demonstrate something to us that can be viewed, examined from all angles, tested, and verified. Have at it!!!!!!
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#144682 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
But I thought number 3 was possible and that the nomads in the Middle East used that technique?
When did number 6 happen? I know it happened in Hollywood movies, but that's it.
You need a sextant for #3. When Christ supposedly died on the cross, ALL of the dead rose from their graves and roamed around town. I prefer the comical explanation "Plague of zombies." Of course it never happened, just more Christian bullshit.
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#144683 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Because everything in the universe can be destroyed; the earth, sun, moon, life, everything can. If something has an end it must have a beginning, right? So something must have made the universe.
not necesarily,
maybe its part of Multiverse,from which it originated,
and simply existed in different form or shape,,
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#144684 Dec 20, 2012
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#144685 Dec 20, 2012
Several weeks ago, a ground-breaking study on religious belief and social well-being was published in the Journal of Religion & Society. Comparing 18 prosperous democracies from the U.S. to New Zealand, author Gregory S Paul quietly demolished the myth that faith strengthens society.

Drawing on a wide range of studies to cross-match faith Ė measured by belief in God and acceptance of evolution Ė with homicide and intimate behavior, Paul found that secular societies have lower rates of violence and teenage pregnancy than societies where many people profess belief in God.

Top of the class, in both atheism and good behavior, come the Japanese. Over eighty percent accept evolution and fewer than ten percent are certain that God exists. Despite its size Ė over a hundred million people Ė Japan is one of the least crime-prone countries in the world. It also has the lowest rates of teenage pregnancy of any developed nation.

(Teenage pregnancy has less tragic consequences than violence but it is usually unwanted, and it is frequently associated with deprivation among both mothers and children. In general, it is a Bad Thing.)

Next in line are the Norwegians, British, Germans and Dutch. At least sixty percent accept evolution as a fact and fewer than one in three are convinced that there is a deity. There is little teenage pregnancy , although the Brits, with over 40 pregnancies per 1,000 girls a year, do twice as badly as the others. Homicide rates are also low -- around 1-2 victims per 100,000 people a year.

At the other end of the scale comes America. Over 50 percent of Americans believe in God, and only 40 percent accept some form of evolution (many believe it had a helping hand from the Deity). The U.S. has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy and homicide rates are at least five times greater than in Europe and ten times higher than in Japan.

All this information points to a strong correlation between faith and antisocial behavior -- a correlation so strong that there is good reason to suppose that religious belief does more harm than good.

At first glance that is a preposterous suggestion, given that religions preach non-violence and intimate restraint. However, close inspection reveals a different story. Faith tends to weaken rather than strengthen peopleís ability to participate in society. That makes it less likely they will respect social customs and laws.

All believers learn that God holds them responsible for their actions. So far so good, but for many, belief absolves them of all other responsibilities. Consciously or subconsciously, those who are "born again" or "chosen" have diminished respect for others who do not share their sect or their faith. Convinced that only the Bible offers "truth", they lose their intellectual curiosity and their ability to reason. Their priority becomes not the world they live in but themselves.

The more people prioritize themselves rather than those around them, the weaker society becomes and the greater the likelihood of antisocial behavior. Hence gun laws which encourage Americans to see each other not as fellow human beings who deserve protection, but as potential aggressors who deserve to die. And hence a health care system which looks after the wealthy rather than the ill.

As for sexÖ Faith encourages ignorance rather than responsible behavior. In other countries, sex education includes contraception, reducing the risk of unwanted pregnancies. Such an approach recognizes that young people have the right to make their own choices and helps them make decisions that benefit society as a whole. In America faith-driven abstinence programs deny them that right -- "As a Christian I will only help you if you do what I say". The result is soaring rates of unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#144686 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
'God' has always been here, it wasn't created and it can't be destroyed, it just is.
So you say, but what makes your ridiculous claim any more valid than any of the other thousands of religions and their Gods. They will ALL say the same thing. What makes you right and them wrong. You do realize you can't all be right. Are you so arrogant that you claim sole ownership to the RIGHT GOD?

What if the universe had no beginning as cosmologist Stephen Hawking speculated. "The universe very well may have no boundaries, no edges, it may very well be infinite. The universe simply IS." So if you can say your God has always existed, the same can be said for the universe.

When you make a positive statement like "God has always been here" you are required to produce evidence for than positive claim. You just can't say it and expect people to accept it just because you said it. Either produce evidence for you claim or change the wording to "I BELIEVE God has always been here." You might add, "I have absolutely no evidence for my belief, but it makes me feel all warm and cozy."

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#144687 Dec 20, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks once again for demonstrating what an evil prick your God really is. The sole reason there are thousands of difference religions and just as many different Gods is the fact that your God, supposedly the ONE TRUE, God, has remained hidden. Because we have so many different religions, each claiming there's is the ONE TRUE GOD, is the reason mankind has torn each other to shreds over this conflict of ideology. Millions of humans have suffered and dies in misery because this vain prick chooses to remain hidden. How divisive has this been to our species? Yet your god sits and watches his most prized creations rip each other apart. What a self-centered egotistical evil little prick......."come find me, I'm here if you look hard enough.....nope your cold....getting warmer though....WARMER.....ooops, cold again."
We don't say that our God is the true one, but our Indian religions say that there is ONLY one 'God'! The 'God' is the same in all religions, they all worship the creator, but our understanding of it is different.

It's NOT the one God belief that has torn us apart, it's all the other beliefs about that one God that have torn us apart. The people who put to one side their beliefs about God and only who recognise the ONE God, don't fight about anything.

That one 'God' is within our hearts, it's our conscience!

Location hidden

#144688 Dec 20, 2012
christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
not necesarily,
maybe its part of Multiverse,from which it originated,
and simply existed in different form or shape,,
Well, that's your belief, u believe that, I want to believe mine!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#144689 Dec 20, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Oo. Oo.
I know! I know!
(There's more than one...)

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#144690 Dec 20, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't remember. It's just a kids show.
I did like the Ice Age movies. I didn't know there was a new one.
Some of those new digitally animated movies are crap, some are good. Luckily I've avoided most of the crappy ones. I really liked Finding Nemo.
Paddington is going to get you :( lol
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#144691 Dec 20, 2012
christianity is EVIL wrote:
Several weeks ago, a ground-breaking study on religious belief and social well-being was published in the Journal of Religion & Society. Comparing 18 prosperous democracies from the U.S. to New Zealand, author Gregory S Paul quietly demolished the myth that faith strengthens society.
Drawing on a wide range of studies to cross-match faith Ė measured by belief in God and acceptance of evolution Ė with homicide and intimate behavior, Paul found that secular societies have lower rates of violence and teenage pregnancy than societies where many people profess belief in God.
Top of the class, in both atheism and good behavior, come the Japanese. Over eighty percent accept evolution and fewer than ten percent are certain that God exists. Despite its size Ė over a hundred million people Ė Japan is one of the least crime-prone countries in the world. It also has the lowest rates of teenage pregnancy of any developed nation.
(Teenage pregnancy has less tragic consequences than violence but it is usually unwanted, and it is frequently associated with deprivation among both mothers and children. In general, it is a Bad Thing.)
Next in line are the Norwegians, British, Germans and Dutch. At least sixty percent accept evolution as a fact and fewer than one in three are convinced that there is a deity. There is little teenage pregnancy , although the Brits, with over 40 pregnancies per 1,000 girls a year, do twice as badly as the others. Homicide rates are also low -- around 1-2 victims per 100,000 people a year.
At the other end of the scale comes America. Over 50 percent of Americans believe in God, and only 40 percent accept some form of evolution (many believe it had a helping hand from the Deity). The U.S. has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy and homicide rates are at least five times greater than in Europe and ten times higher than in Japan.
All this information points to a strong correlation between faith and antisocial behavior -- a correlation so strong that there is good reason to suppose that religious belief does more harm than good.
At first glance that is a preposterous suggestion, given that religions preach non-violence and intimate restraint. However, close inspection reveals a different story. Faith tends to weaken rather than strengthen peopleís ability to participate in society. That makes it less likely they will respect social customs and laws.
All believers learn that God holds them responsible for their actions. So far so good, but for many, belief absolves them of all other responsibilities. Consciously or subconsciously, those who are "born again" or "chosen" have diminished respect for others who do not share their sect or their faith. Convinced that only the Bible offers "truth", they lose their intellectual curiosity and their ability to reason. Their priority becomes not the world they live in but themselves.
The more people prioritize themselves rather than those around them, the weaker society becomes and the greater the likelihood of antisocial behavior. Hence gun laws which encourage Americans to see each other not as fellow human beings who deserve protection, but as potential aggressors who deserve to die. And hence a health care system which looks after the wealthy rather than the ill.
As for sexÖ Faith encourages ignorance rather than responsible behavior. In other countries, sex education includes contraception, reducing the risk of unwanted pregnancies. Such an approach recognizes that young people have the right to make their own choices and helps them make decisions that benefit society as a whole. In America faith-driven abstinence programs deny them that right -- "As a Christian I will only help you if you do what I say". The result is soaring rates of unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.
Excellent post, I'm sure the Christards will scream and try and find fault with the study. In the end they have to be secretly embarrassed.

Location hidden

#144692 Dec 20, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So you say, but what makes your ridiculous claim any more valid than any of the other thousands of religions and their Gods. They will ALL say the same thing. What makes you right and them wrong. You do realize you can't all be right. Are you so arrogant that you claim sole ownership to the RIGHT GOD?
What if the universe had no beginning as cosmologist Stephen Hawking speculated. "The universe very well may have no boundaries, no edges, it may very well be infinite. The universe simply IS." So if you can say your God has always existed, the same can be said for the universe.
When you make a positive statement like "God has always been here" you are required to produce evidence for than positive claim. You just can't say it and expect people to accept it just because you said it. Either produce evidence for you claim or change the wording to "I BELIEVE God has always been here." You might add, "I have absolutely no evidence for my belief, but it makes me feel all warm and cozy."
I think I answered your question in post above.

Look, religion did not come to teach us science, pls keep religion and science separate.

I know what Stephen Hawking's said, I saw his documentary, it was very interesting.

The God is the same, but I do believe that the sikh/original hindu understanding of 'God' was better for us humans, under the power of the Guru people were treated equally; skin colour, money, gender, was not important, everyone was looked at as the children of God and the sibling's of destiny! We are on this planet to help each other in every way! We should be doing that, not killing each other and telling each other you going to hell if u don't believe in God.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#144694 Dec 20, 2012
You were like, it's so stupid it has to be true!:))
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I'm with Ti o this one, that boat analogy really did it for me, so freaking clever, why can't I ever think of shit like this. I know that after reading this I dropped immediately to my knees and begged forgiveness. So moving, so inspiring, so..........childish?

Lexington, KY

#144695 Dec 20, 2012
;) testify!:)
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
This should help him.
Or piss him off.
I really don't care which.
http://gospelclarity.com/2010/08/25/the-large...
Largest denominations in the world
Catholicism - 1.2 billion
Catholic Church - 1,147 million[1]
Roman Catholic Church (Latin Rite)- 1,129.9 million
Eastern Catholic Churches (Eastern Rite)- 17.1 million
Alexandrian
Ethiopian Catholic Church - 0.21 million
Coptic Catholic Church - 0.17 million
Antiochian (Antiochene or West Syrian)
Maronite Catholic Church - 3.1 million
Syro-Malankara Catholic Church - 0.5 million
Syriac Catholic Church - 0.17 million
Armenian
Armenian Catholic Church - 0.54 million
Chaldean (Eastern Syrian)
Syro-Malabar Catholic Church - 4.0 million
Chaldean Catholic Church - 0.65 million
Byzantine (Constantinopolitan)
Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church - 4.3 million
Melkite Greek Catholic Church - 1.6 million
Romanian Church United with Rome, Greek-Catholic - 0.8 million
Ruthenian Catholic Church - 0.65 million
Slovak Greek Catholic Church - 0.37 million
Hungarian Greek Catholic Church - 0.29 million
Italo-Greek Catholic Church - 0.07 million
Croatian Greek Catholic Church - 0.06 million
Belarusian Greek Catholic Church - 0.01 million
Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church - 0.01 million
Georgian Byzantine Catholic Church - 0.01 million[2]
Macedonian Greek Catholic Church - 0.01 million
Albanian Greek-Catholic Church - 0.01 million
Greek Byzantine Catholic Church - 0.01 million
Russian Catholic Church - 0.01 million
Breakaway Catholic Churches - 28 million
Apostolic Catholic Church - 5 million
Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association - 4 million[3]
Philippine Independent Church - 3 million
Brazilian Catholic Apostolic Church - 1 million
Old Catholic Church - 0.6 million
Mariavite Church - 0.03 million
Protestantism - 670 million
Historical Protestantism - 350 million
Baptist churches - 105 million[4]
Southern Baptist Convention - 16.3 million[5]
National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.- 7.5 million[6]
National Baptist Convention of America, Inc.- 5 million[7]
Nigerian Baptist Convention - 3 million[8]
Progressive National Baptist Convention - 2.5 mill
National Baptist Convention, Brazil - 1 million
National Primitive Baptist Convention of the U.S.A.- 1 million[10]
National Missionary Baptist Convention of America - 1 million
Samavesam of Telugu Baptist Churches - 0.8 million[12]
Baptist Convention of Kenya - 0.7 million[11]
Union of Evangelical Christians-Baptists of Russia - 0.6 million
Methodism - 75 million
United Methodist Church - 12 million
African Methodist Episcopal Church - 3 million
Methodist Church Nigeria - 2 million[13]
African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church - 1.5 million
Church of the Nazarene - 1.9 million
Methodist Church of Southern Africa - 1.7 million[14]
Korean Methodist Church - 1.5 million[15]
United Methodist Church of Ivory Coast[16]
Christian Methodist Episcopal Church - 0.9 million
Methodist Church Ghana - 0.8 million[17]
Free Methodist Church - 0.7 million
Methodist Church in India - 0.6 million[18]
Lutheranism - 87 million[19]
Evangelical Church in Germany - 26.9 million[20]
Church of Sweden - 6.9 million
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America - 4.8 million
Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane Yesus - 4.7 million
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania - 4.6 million[21]
Danish National Church - 4.5 million
Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland - 4.3 million[22]
Batak Christian Protestant Church - 4 million[23]
Church of Norway - 3.9 million
I had to cut a whole bunch.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#144696 Dec 20, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
You were like, it's so stupid it has to be true!:))
<quoted text>
What would be beyond stupid? Whatever that is, this would be it!!!!

Lexington, KY

#144697 Dec 20, 2012
But how can that be? For weeks you have been avoiding this question and stating that Catholics are not Christian. Now you admit that not only are they Christian but the largest Christian denomination.

It seems you have learned from your betters.:pats head throws a dog bisquit:

Go get it RR! That's a good boy! Oh how I love factually destroying you butt fumbles.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholic

Lexington, KY

#144698 Dec 20, 2012
Why can't he? After all he was showing up all the time in ancient pre camera times but now he can't?

Or perhaps ancient tribal people made up stories about him as folk stories to hand down to their children or teach lessons.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
You think that God should still hover over the face of the waters so that you can see Him like you can see a cloud.......
You expect a being like God to sit down with everyone in the world tonight for dinner & explain His ways....
This is not what God wants. He wants you to have faith in Him and He wants you to find Him.
He won't find you.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#144699 Dec 20, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks once again for demonstrating what an evil prick your God really is. The sole reason there are thousands of difference religions and just as many different Gods is the fact that your God, supposedly the ONE TRUE, God, has remained hidden. Because we have so many different religions, each claiming there's is the ONE TRUE GOD, is the reason mankind has torn each other to shreds over this conflict of ideology. Millions of humans have suffered and dies in misery because this vain prick chooses to remain hidden. How divisive has this been to our species? Yet your god sits and watches his most prized creations rip each other apart. What a self-centered egotistical evil little prick......."come find me, I'm here if you look hard enough.....nope your cold....getting warmer though....WARMER.....ooops, cold again."
One thing I will never understand about some atheist is the passionate anger. Why do you get so worked up over someoneís personal choice to exercise freedom of religion?
If I was an atheist I wouldnít spend 5 minutes getting all worked up over what someone believes.

Itís a personal choice people have. It doesnít hurt you but yet we see all this negative energy coming from you and a few others. OK, you donít believe in God. Thatís your personal choice. Iím not angry with you about that.

I donít hate you because you are an atheist. My Dear sweet father was an atheist most of his adult life. I loved him very much. I wasnít angry with his personal choice. Him and I had many discussions about God and religion.

If I was an atheist I wouldnít be wasting my time here on topix. I would be trying to live my life to itís fullest considering atheist believe they have one life. I just donít understand the anger. Why? No one is making you believe something you donít want to believe.

You are a free man. Why so much anger?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#144701 Dec 21, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
One thing I will never understand about some atheist is the passionate anger. Why do you get so worked up over someoneís personal choice to exercise freedom of religion?
If I was an atheist I wouldnít spend 5 minutes getting all worked up over what someone believes.
Itís a personal choice people have. It doesnít hurt you but yet we see all this negative energy coming from you and a few others. OK, you donít believe in God. Thatís your personal choice. Iím not angry with you about that.
I donít hate you because you are an atheist. My Dear sweet father was an atheist most of his adult life. I loved him very much. I wasnít angry with his personal choice. Him and I had many discussions about God and religion.
If I was an atheist I wouldnít be wasting my time here on topix. I would be trying to live my life to itís fullest considering atheist believe they have one life. I just donít understand the anger. Why? No one is making you believe something you donít want to believe.
It's not anger.

But your religion does most definitely affect my life. If it didn't, I wouldn't care.

Religion in this country affects what we teach in science ... it affects women's right to control their own healthcare decisions ... it affects what I can buy at the store on Sunday ... it affects my taxes to continue to give religions a pass on paying their part.

Religion in this country has pushed itself into our pledge and onto our money, both of which were secular when I was born.

Religion in our world continues to violate basic human rights and kill people everyday.

So, yeah, I do care. And I for one am in the Topix Atheism Forum whenever I have time to kill to defend my right to be respected and treated as an equal. And because non-theists have finally reached a large enough population that we can be heard, I find myself constantly defending my Humanism against all the negative straw man mischaracterizations and rash statements of bigotry that Christians spew out on a regular basis.

If you could just see yourselves once from this side, you'd understand why I always feel like I need to wash my hands after dealing with a Christian.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#144702 Dec 21, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot with no proof of god. Why do you even speak to us? Go back to your cave and talk to thin air and judge everyone else like the rest of your failed cult.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 min oneear69 22,431
Noah's flood real (Oct '12) 2 hr Patrick 4,512
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr John K 493
Can atheists pray? Gretta Vosper on Andrew W.K.... 4 hr Patrick 9
After brutal persecution, Albania 'reopened' to... 4 hr Barbarian 4
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 4 hr Patrick 141
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 7 hr nOgOd 1
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE