Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#144666 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
Kitten, can u help me? I need help with what Redneck said.
If I have to choose between X and Y, I choose X, if God knows I chose X that means what I chose has already been written, right? For God to know which one I will choose, he has to have seen the future? That means destiny is preordained?
Thanks, I was just confused with that.
Anyone else can help too, thanks!
I'll streamline it for you.

Free will is an illusion. A physical being with omniscience is not physically possible. Free will and omniscience cannot be part of a universe that operates how we think ours does. If we are wrong about what is possible and what is impossible, we can't say anything about anything.

Are you more confused now?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#144667 Dec 20, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't remember. It's just a kids show.
I did like the Ice Age movies. I didn't know there was a new one.
Some of those new digitally animated movies are crap, some are good. Luckily I've avoided most of the crappy ones. I really liked Finding Nemo.
LOL, I still watch kids shows, is that sad? I don't know when I'm going to grow up! Have u ever watched; watch my chops?

It's called ice age: continental drift.

Yh, that was a great film. I love Dory, that poor fish, I was going to cry if Merlin left her! I learnt how to speak whale from her, she's very cool!!

Bolt was funny, too. Oh, shark tale was awesome!!

Location hidden

#144668 Dec 20, 2012
dr of religion wrote:
<quoted text> Where has god always been? What are you smokin clemingtime?
It was here, even in 'nothingness'!

I don't smoke, it's bad, u get lung cancer!
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#144669 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
'God' has always been here, it wasn't created and it can't be destroyed, it just is.
can you prove it?

Location hidden

#144670 Dec 20, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll streamline it for you.
Free will is an illusion. A physical being with omniscience is not physically possible. Free will and omniscience cannot be part of a universe that operates how we think ours does. If we are wrong about what is possible and what is impossible, we can't say anything about anything.
Are you more confused now?
F*CK, yh!!! Care to elaborate?

You better coz my brain is spinning and it's late!

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#144671 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
LOL, I still watch kids shows, is that sad? I don't know when I'm going to grow up! Have u ever watched; watch my chops?
It's called ice age: continental drift.
Yh, that was a great film. I love Dory, that poor fish, I was going to cry if Merlin left her! I learnt how to speak whale from her, she's very cool!!
Bolt was funny, too. Oh, shark tale was awesome!!
"Watch my Chops" - I haven't seen it.

It's not sad. I still watch lots of kids shows. Some of them are just not relevant for adults. Something made for young children only ends up being really boring, but something made for older children or teenagers can remain relevant for adults.

You should never grow up if you can help it.

Location hidden

#144672 Dec 20, 2012
christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
can you prove it?
Hopefully science will, one day!

Until then, this is my faith, I don't need proof and I don't need to prove my faith to anyone, it's not like science, it's not based on fact, it's a philosophy.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#144673 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
F*CK, yh!!! Care to elaborate?
You better coz my brain is spinning and it's late!
That would take some time.

If you're sleepy you should probably just nod off.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#144674 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
'God' has always been here, it wasn't created and it can't be destroyed, it just is.
Then why not simplify matters and say "The Universe has always been here, it wasn't created and it can't be destroyed, it just is"?

Why add an unnecessary "God" to it?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#144675 Dec 20, 2012
Oh? So not yet knowing its cause is automatically "God did it"?
Is that your point? If so, what caused "God"?
Freebird USA wrote:
You assume too much
Really? So you're *not* claiming that a god exists?
Freebird USA wrote:
Nobody knows is my point and "God" is as likely the cause as any explanations offered by Krauss and Hawking.
And you calculate this probability how, exactly?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#144676 Dec 20, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I can help him with that ...
Hey RR, try this -- " http://bit.ly/XQHx4W" ;
Shhhh......he doesn't believe in science, only in magic. I'm going to try and arrange a "playdate" for him and my granddaughter, they can swap magic stories, it will be soooooo cute!!!

Location hidden

#144677 Dec 20, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why not simplify matters and say "The Universe has always been here, it wasn't created and it can't be destroyed, it just is"?
Why add an unnecessary "God" to it?
Because everything in the universe can be destroyed; the earth, sun, moon, life, everything can. If something has an end it must have a beginning, right? So something must have made the universe.

Location hidden

#144678 Dec 20, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
"Watch my Chops" - I haven't seen it.
It's not sad. I still watch lots of kids shows. Some of them are just not relevant for adults. Something made for young children only ends up being really boring, but something made for older children or teenagers can remain relevant for adults.
You should never grow up if you can help it.
Watch my chops was really cute, it was about a talking dog, who can surf the net, too. You just don't know who you could be talking to, over the internet! That's relevant for all us adults, it makes u aware of the world out there!

Yh, I know, some are boring as hell!

OK!:-)

Location hidden

#144679 Dec 20, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
That would take some time.
If you're sleepy you should probably just nod off.
OMG, you're right,but i'm not sleepy yet, but when sleep comes I sometimes don't even know when I fell asleep!

You can explain to me some other time, I'll remember, so don't think you're off the hook!!
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#144680 Dec 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
You think that God should still hover over the face of the waters so that you can see Him like you can see a cloud.......
You expect a being like God to sit down with everyone in the world tonight for dinner & explain His ways....
This is not what God wants. He wants you to have faith in Him and He wants you to find Him.
He won't find you.
Thanks once again for demonstrating what an evil prick your God really is. The sole reason there are thousands of difference religions and just as many different Gods is the fact that your God, supposedly the ONE TRUE, God, has remained hidden. Because we have so many different religions, each claiming there's is the ONE TRUE GOD, is the reason mankind has torn each other to shreds over this conflict of ideology. Millions of humans have suffered and dies in misery because this vain prick chooses to remain hidden. How divisive has this been to our species? Yet your god sits and watches his most prized creations rip each other apart. What a self-centered egotistical evil little prick......."come find me, I'm here if you look hard enough.....nope your cold....getting warmer though....WARMER.....ooops, cold again."
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#144681 Dec 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's demonstrably true. Nobody is pre condemned to heaven or hell. That is a choice you make.
God does accept anyone that seeks Him.
He won't accept you if you're pretending to seek Him just to prove Him wrong.
"It's DEMONSTRABLY TRUE." The please, by all means demonstrate to us, in REALITY, that what you say is true. No Magical bullshit now, demonstrable means you can demonstrate something to us that can be viewed, examined from all angles, tested, and verified. Have at it!!!!!!
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#144682 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
But I thought number 3 was possible and that the nomads in the Middle East used that technique?
When did number 6 happen? I know it happened in Hollywood movies, but that's it.
You need a sextant for #3. When Christ supposedly died on the cross, ALL of the dead rose from their graves and roamed around town. I prefer the comical explanation "Plague of zombies." Of course it never happened, just more Christian bullshit.
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#144683 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Because everything in the universe can be destroyed; the earth, sun, moon, life, everything can. If something has an end it must have a beginning, right? So something must have made the universe.
not necesarily,
maybe its part of Multiverse,from which it originated,
and simply existed in different form or shape,,
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#144684 Dec 20, 2012
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#144685 Dec 20, 2012
Several weeks ago, a ground-breaking study on religious belief and social well-being was published in the Journal of Religion & Society. Comparing 18 prosperous democracies from the U.S. to New Zealand, author Gregory S Paul quietly demolished the myth that faith strengthens society.

Drawing on a wide range of studies to cross-match faith – measured by belief in God and acceptance of evolution – with homicide and intimate behavior, Paul found that secular societies have lower rates of violence and teenage pregnancy than societies where many people profess belief in God.

Top of the class, in both atheism and good behavior, come the Japanese. Over eighty percent accept evolution and fewer than ten percent are certain that God exists. Despite its size – over a hundred million people – Japan is one of the least crime-prone countries in the world. It also has the lowest rates of teenage pregnancy of any developed nation.

(Teenage pregnancy has less tragic consequences than violence but it is usually unwanted, and it is frequently associated with deprivation among both mothers and children. In general, it is a Bad Thing.)

Next in line are the Norwegians, British, Germans and Dutch. At least sixty percent accept evolution as a fact and fewer than one in three are convinced that there is a deity. There is little teenage pregnancy , although the Brits, with over 40 pregnancies per 1,000 girls a year, do twice as badly as the others. Homicide rates are also low -- around 1-2 victims per 100,000 people a year.

At the other end of the scale comes America. Over 50 percent of Americans believe in God, and only 40 percent accept some form of evolution (many believe it had a helping hand from the Deity). The U.S. has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy and homicide rates are at least five times greater than in Europe and ten times higher than in Japan.

All this information points to a strong correlation between faith and antisocial behavior -- a correlation so strong that there is good reason to suppose that religious belief does more harm than good.

At first glance that is a preposterous suggestion, given that religions preach non-violence and intimate restraint. However, close inspection reveals a different story. Faith tends to weaken rather than strengthen people’s ability to participate in society. That makes it less likely they will respect social customs and laws.

All believers learn that God holds them responsible for their actions. So far so good, but for many, belief absolves them of all other responsibilities. Consciously or subconsciously, those who are "born again" or "chosen" have diminished respect for others who do not share their sect or their faith. Convinced that only the Bible offers "truth", they lose their intellectual curiosity and their ability to reason. Their priority becomes not the world they live in but themselves.

The more people prioritize themselves rather than those around them, the weaker society becomes and the greater the likelihood of antisocial behavior. Hence gun laws which encourage Americans to see each other not as fellow human beings who deserve protection, but as potential aggressors who deserve to die. And hence a health care system which looks after the wealthy rather than the ill.

As for sex… Faith encourages ignorance rather than responsible behavior. In other countries, sex education includes contraception, reducing the risk of unwanted pregnancies. Such an approach recognizes that young people have the right to make their own choices and helps them make decisions that benefit society as a whole. In America faith-driven abstinence programs deny them that right -- "As a Christian I will only help you if you do what I say". The result is soaring rates of unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min Brian_G 14,394
Our world came from nothing? (Jul '14) 34 min Igor Trip 1,219
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 58 min Carchar king 272
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 1 hr Carchar king 36
Richard Dawkins needs to get a life 1 hr Carchar king 16
God' existence 1 hr Carchar king 151
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 1 hr Carchar king 289
More from around the web