Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238971 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#144505 Dec 20, 2012
Mohamo wrote:
Oh.you people who call themselves atheist ,let me tell you story.
Their was a man who wanted to cross a river but their was no boat which could carry him to the other side of the river.the man waited for a long time but their was none, he saw timbers and nails coming together and forming aboat.the boat sailed towards the man then the man entered the boat but to his suprise their was no one driving the boat ,finally he reached the other side of the river.
Atheist will ask the following question.
1.How can timber and nails form aboat by themelves?
2.How can aboat sail by itself?
If atheist dont think all these things are impossible ,how can they say their is no God at all.
If atheist say boat cant form by itself without engineer then how can an they say this universe come itself without God.
If atheist say aboat cant sail itself how can they say everything in this world happens without God.
Atheist dont know anything.atheist are the most ignorant people because they dont know the reason they are in this world.the reason they ar a live. The reason they breath.
Animals are better than Atheist because they know who their God is.
I am going to ask the atheist one question
WHAT DID THEY BELIEVE BEFORE THE INTRODUCTION OF SCIENCE????
That's it, I'm converting. This was so compelling, so original, so damned *profound*, I truly have no choice but to throw myself at the feet of... the god of timber? I can hardly breath after reading this masterpiece, indeed, it took my breathe away!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#144506 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>How was the snake cursed? What's wrong with it? Do you mean just that snake or are all snakes going to hell?
I think snakes used to have legs in the garden of Eden.

It was cursed to forever crawl in its belly.

Or something like that.

Location hidden

#144507 Dec 20, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
Now here's a conversation that's just bazaar --
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So the snake did absolutely nothing wrong, but was cursed for all eternity as a "symbol". That's some stupid myth ya got there.
<quoted text>
Naw, it just reminds me how incredibly gullible some people are.
Haha. RR says the darnedest things. Now let's ask him why all of mankind was cursed for the predetermined actions of two individuals.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144508 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>Of course, snakes are good, they're innocent and don't mean you any harm, they just want to live their life, that's all!
And they eat rodents.

Alive.

That would seem to make the rodents cursed, if you ask me.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144509 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>You tell me,'Mr know it all'!:-)

I don't think it's a true story, so I think we OK! No snakes were harmed during the making!! Snakes are still our friends and we should love them!
I went to a training session on handling and caring for snakes. I'm part of a group that shelters people's pets in case of widespread emergencies, and a guy brought about 25 snakes.

I got to handle ball pythons and a 12 foot boa constrictor among others.

You're right. They are amazingly soft.

The boa would wrap its tail around my arm to anchor itself. It felt like a blood pressure cuff. It was the neatest thing.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144510 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>I love snakes, when I went to the zoo, I had this big one around my neck, it was sooooooo scary, but I can't believe how soft they are, too soft!

What type of snake do u have, what colour is it,how big is it?
He's being dirty.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144511 Dec 20, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Bullshit, you CAN'T KNOW any of this. I just love it when you people project your delusional beliefs as being factual. It really makes you look like a total idiot.
Look like.

He IS a total idiot.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144512 Dec 20, 2012
EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>I would bet he is talking about a trouser snake... human skin color... and smaller than he tells you...and he is really attached to it.
And it only has one eye.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144513 Dec 20, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Jephtha promised Yahweh a burnt offering of whatever came out his door first, his daughter came out, he kept his promise of a burnt offering.

It's crystal clear.
Maybe he just made her a little crispy on the outside.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144514 Dec 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>What if that great feeling you got when god "touched" you could be replicated by stimulating the appropriate parts of your brain? Would that make you consider that it might have been a natural experience?

Na, you'd probably write it off as more devil trickery.
Or with drugs.

Ever hear of DMT?

They call it the spirit molecule.

Sounds intriguing.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144515 Dec 20, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>If you want us to stop making stereotypical and insulting jokes...

ah nevermind.
Yeah.

I was going to respond, too, but knew it would be a waste of time.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#144516 Dec 20, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Or with drugs.
Ever hear of DMT?
Sounds intriguing.
It's quite the eye opener.

Location hidden

#144517 Dec 20, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Or with drugs.
Ever hear of DMT?
Sounds intriguing.
I have heard of DMT, and I agree, it is intriguing. I have toyed with the idea of trying it, and have heard interesting things from a few friends. A common statement I've heard about it is that there's no such thing as an atheist who's tried DMT - it's supposed to bring on a profound spiritual experience. Why people ascribe these experiences to god and not to the powerful drug they just took is beyond me, however, lol.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#144518 Dec 20, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
It's quite the eye opener.
Have you tried it?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#144519 Dec 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I have heard of DMT, and I agree, it is intriguing. I have toyed with the idea of trying it, and have heard interesting things from a few friends. A common statement I've heard about it is that there's no such thing as an atheist who's tried DMT - it's supposed to bring on a profound spiritual experience. Why people ascribe these experiences to god and not to the powerful drug they just took is beyond me, however, lol.
Just have a sitter if you choose to try it, and the 'no such thing as an atheist is complete bollocks.

I happen to be one, and I've known a couple other atheists too, that have experienced DMT that didn't conclude that at all.

Your last statement is spot on, and why people jump to that conclusion when it's an obvious chemistry change - brought on by something you induced - is absolutely ridiculous.

I tend to think that somewhere within people there is this psychological need to front a connection with the "supernatural" etc.

I'm not sure if it's so they can say "HA HA!, I see things as no other but I WILL tell you about it and you shall be amazed!, just ask and do not question it or I will be immensely butthurt", or some other need is fulfilled by it.

It's pretty much the same with the ghost people and the Sasquatch people and the deity people, and the conspiracy people and the...(insert unknown, unprovable thing here) people, they're more than happy to tell you all about it but express the least bit of skepticism or question it and you've become "them"...

And they know all about "them', too, but you better not ask how they know that.

I engaged Dave about his "NDE" on a couple of occasions and brought up that certain substances were known to reproduce that same type of experience and he was repelled(magnetic pun intended) that I'd even mention that there was any similarity between what many others and myself - and him in his NDE - had experienced.

I sorta class the "NDE" at the top of the "certainly known but unprovable" list of claims, because the retort is generally "well, you'll just have to die and have an "NDE", and then you'll know what I do".

my two cents

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#144520 Dec 20, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you tried it?
Yes I have on a few occasions(3 for DMT), and a couple other similar in effect producing substances.

It's amazing, it's intense and you'll likely end up assimilating the experience for days and long after, but I was aware the entire time pretty much that I was under the influence of an introduced substance and effect and that all of it was happening within my brain.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#144521 Dec 20, 2012
Well surely banging a dead crispy girl doesn't count against her in the eyes of Yahweh/Jesus.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe he just made her a little crispy on the outside.

Since: Dec 12

Delhi, India

#144522 Dec 20, 2012
i need to know about great category of religious and believes.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#144523 Dec 20, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Well surely banging a dead crispy girl doesn't count against her in the eyes of Yahweh/Jesus.
<quoted text>
Some angels might even think she's smokin' hot ... or at least still smoldering.
cool dude

Des Plaines, IL

#144524 Dec 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I love snakes, when I went to the zoo, I had this big one around my neck, it was sooooooo scary, but I can't believe how soft they are, too soft!
What type of snake do u have, what colour is it,how big is it?
My snake is huge.It kind of changes colors as you pet it.My snake is very hard.You would have to geasp it with two hands and hang on for dear life!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 1 hr thetruth 7,439
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 hr thetruth 7,220
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 7 hr thetruth 92
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Thu thetruth 29
News .com | What hope is there without God? Wed Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) May 19 Kathleen 19,031
More from around the web