Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#143442 Dec 14, 2012
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the UK imposed strict gun control its violent crime rate is much higher than the US.
As usual you are wrong and it only took 0.44s:-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143443 Dec 14, 2012
dr fill wrote:
<quoted text> If you belong to a org that doesnt allow you to swear you are in a cult clemingtime.
My God don't give a f*ck about swearing!

What do you people mean when you say, "taking God's name in vain"?

Location hidden

#143444 Dec 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you allowed to be Catcher?
Catcher, am I allowed to be you?

@Batty...I don't get it.

Location hidden

#143445 Dec 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Atheist Trinity:
Clementia, Catcher1, Happy Lesbo
These three are one!
hehehehehehehehehehehehehee... ."atheist trinity"....heheheheheheh e

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#143446 Dec 14, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Catcher, am I allowed to be you?
@Batty...I don't get it.
Clementine, you have my permission to be me any time you want.

But when you're me, please don't embarrass yourself.

Location hidden

#143447 Dec 14, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am the one and only Catcher.
Master of the white sheet.
Feared by the bravest.
Leader of the pack.
I guess that's a no.

Location hidden

#143448 Dec 14, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>14Dec12.....
.....You used the 'F' word.....you bad, bad girl.
Ps:.....You'll be using the 'C' word like 'dimKing next!!!
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
I never used to swear, blame American films!

Location hidden

#143449 Dec 14, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Clementine, you have my permission to be me any time you want.
But when you're me, please don't embarrass yourself.
Nah, It's ok, I'm happy being me.

What, I embarrass myself?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#143450 Dec 14, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, there's a bit of irony on that part. Taking a name in vain is actually calling on that name in times when it is not needed, such as saying "god damn it," there is even a parable in the bible about that, Elisha and the bears, where he called on his god in vain so his god did something horrible. Of course modern christians like to "interpret" that as a way to justify attacking anyone who disagrees with them, but the original intent was to demonstrate why that commandment exists.

In older religions, magic spells were cast by calling on the name of the deity they wish to make the request, just another point the christians stole from older religions.

Location hidden

#143453 Dec 14, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, there's a bit of irony on that part. Taking a name in vain is actually calling on that name in times when it is not needed, such as saying "god damn it," there is even a parable in the bible about that, Elisha and the bears, where he called on his god in vain so his god did something horrible. Of course modern christians like to "interpret" that as a way to justify attacking anyone who disagrees with them, but the original intent was to demonstrate why that commandment exists.
In older religions, magic spells were cast by calling on the name of the deity they wish to make the request, just another point the christians stole from older religions.
I thought it was something like that, but it never made sense to me that why would God not want you to say, "O God", when you are in pain or something.

I don't get the irony, though.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#143455 Dec 14, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, not MY God.

Oh, that's right - I don't have one.

Location hidden

#143456 Dec 14, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>Now, you are lying. God and there is only one God, does absolutely care about swearing and how one chooses to pollute their mouth with filth and thus defile their very being. When you attend prayer sessions, does your Sikh priest swear and curse at you?
Yes there is only 1 God!!

No, swearing at someone in a fight is different. I wasn't swearing at anyone.

The Sikh priest doesn't swear directly at me but our religious book does have swear words in it.

Location hidden

#143458 Dec 14, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>Watch this. Clementia is repsonded to your posts and I mean posts from 20 hours ago.
In reality and even in your pitiful mind, you are only feared by gays, which makes you fear yourself.
I heard that if we request a white sheet then you when put one over your ugly face and we can punch your ugly face back into your head, and we won't even get a peep out of you.
Stupid.
What did I do wrong now?

I'M NOT CATCHER!!!!!

Location hidden

#143460 Dec 14, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, not MY God.
Oh, that's right - I don't have one.
Yes you do!!

Location hidden

#143463 Dec 14, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, but if we blamed American films, that would mean that you have a weak and lame mind. You know, like Hiding and Lesbum.
If you have a three digit I.Q., then that means that your IQ is one digit higher than Hiding and Catcher's 99 I.Q.
Do you think that Hindus who believe they will come back as a cow are stupid? I mean, that would make most Hindus stupid or do you think that yur western version of Hinduism is a more evolved Hindu religion.
I do, I really get into films!!

When I took an IQ test in school (16yrs), I think my IQ was 135, I don't know what it is now. I think that was a good score.

No, they aren't stupid.

What western version of Hinduism?

Location hidden

#143465 Dec 14, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>Really. So, why not call same sex couples mentally ill. Don't you get the irony, since suicide is a mental illness and over 50% of suicides are homosexuals.
I mean, how could calling people mentally ill who choose sex with the same sex be something bad? Doesn't it let them know that we feel their pain?
I don't get your point! What's that got to do with vain thing?

The Borderland of Sol

#143466 Dec 14, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you do!!
Not so much.

I allow two Godesses - one about my age, and one in her 20s.

Sin a bhuil.

The Borderland of Sol

#143467 Dec 14, 2012
Sorry, Gaelic - translation, "That's all".

The Borderland of Sol

#143468 Dec 14, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>Yes you do. Its name is satan. It chose you and it gets to be your daddy until you choose God.
Erm, a deity which does not exist could not have created anything.

Including a "demon" who apparently hasn't read to the end of the book.

Location hidden

#143469 Dec 14, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>So, if we call gays perjurative words when we are fighting, then that is okay.
No, you are wrong and childish. Making reference to swear words is not the same as swearing. Unless your Sikh priest uses swear words as easy as he uses "house", "car", "God", etc. then using f^g, f^ck, and calling a person a k^nt are not part of your religion. It is just a part of your wearkness, just like if you had sex with the same sex or an animal. All are sins.
What are you on about? Why you hate gays so much?

My religious book swears at evil people and at the mind!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 23 min Into The Night 51,257
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr Eagle 12 11,395
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 2 hr Regolith Based Li... 458
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 3 hr Eagle 12 149
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Eagle 12 24,628
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Eagle 12 22,083
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 3 hr Eagle 13 1,633
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 3 hr Eagle 13 185
More from around the web