Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
137,721 - 137,740 of 224,053 Comments Last updated 12 min ago

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Holy shit!

Aero just typed more than 5 words!
That your best shot?

Not surprising.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Don't care. Nothing worth fighting over.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Question: What is the difference between Catholicism and Biblical Christianity?
Answer: Catholicism and Biblical Christianity are divergent religions. They are built on different foundations, and they propose different ways of salvation.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That your best shot?
Not surprising.
It's hard to knock down trolls like you.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
As one of those people who has gone door to door talking to people about religion, I want to let you know I wasn't trying to force my belief on any one.
I have found a faith that brings incredible happiness to my family and me, and so I want to share that happiness with others.
Well, good for you!:-)

What you have to understand is that other people have found happiness from other beliefs/non-beliefs. We should understand that we all have the freedom to choose our own path.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not necessary for me to do it.
You're the one claiming that people get happier when they drop religion and "live there lives"....
What do you athitards say?
You made the assertion, the onus is on YOU to prove it, or admit that's just your opinion.
At this point I have mostly anectdotal evidence. In my own case, I became much happier when I stopped pretending to believe (for the sake of my grandparents) and simply stated that I did not. I have discussed this with others who found a new happiness because they didn't have to attempt to divine the desires of some inscrutible deity and they learned to make their own decisions and take responsibility for their own lives. This is incredibly liberating.

I proposed a couple of methods to test this more generally, but you claimed that the inherent bias of self-reporting would invalidate any conclusions. While I disagree, I do see your point on this. But I would also then point out that any self-reporting from the religious side about *their* happiness is inadmissable.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>14Dec12.....
.....He is surprised at your 'filty' mouth.
Ps:....and BobLoblah does NOt like it toooooooooo.
Forever and Ever
Bobloblah
What? What did I say that was filthy?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like hubris.
I think that will earn YOU hell.
That's what they don't get, they think they're perfect.

So your dad was a pilot? was that story true?
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Nothing, I am sure. bob nob gobbler's repressed.
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
What? What did I say that was filthy?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bald is a hair style.
So is buzzed.
Don't be so quick to assume....
How can it be a HAIR style? There's no HAIR! LOL.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing wrong with faith as long as it is a positive motivator, some people need this. You have said it fulfills something in you . When we talk evidence however , scientifically
to qualify as such the criteria is clear.
Information that is acquired by observation or experimentation,
thus it has to be demonstrable , and repeatable to pass peer review. Sadly this is where evidence of religious nature falls short. So compelling evidence in a scientific manner would have to be verifiable. Hearsay is not evidence , neither are claims from a single source of reference.
This is why your faith is divorced from compelling evidence, as it does not require it. I'm afraid religion is built upon the fallacious and superstitious minds. This does not have to be a bad thing , we all need the gathering for certain unavoidable circumstance life and death brings.
But you will have to understand the nature of religion to truly understand the motivating factors of organized religion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
As one of those people who went door to door, within the first hour of talking to some one who invited me to talk with them, I always invited them to "experiment" on it. Anyone who has talked to Mormon missionaries for a while knows they are always trying to get you to experiment on what they are saying. The missionary discussions basically go something like this:

Missionary: "There is a God, this is what He has done and this is how you can find out if I'm telling the truth..."

Or for just about anything the missionary says...

Missionary: "Doing ..... will make you happier because you are living as God would have you live. Try it and see if you are happier."

When people see how much happier they are living the gospel, they want to do more and join the church. Conversion is based on faith promoting experiences or evidences that the convert collects.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

What a lot of people don't understand is that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is unlike a lot of churches, because we invite people to search for evidence and test what we are saying. Here are a few examples from the Book of Mormon:

Moroni 10:3-5
3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

(In other words: read it, think about it, pray about it, and God will tell you if its true)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

See also Alma 32 from the Book of Mormon, inviting you to "experiment" on what is taught.

27 But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.

28 Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.

29 Now behold, would not this increase your faith? I say unto you, Yea; nevertheless it hath not grown up to a perfect knowledge.

(In other words, try out what you learn from the Book of Mormon and see if it is true by the way you live it and feel about it as you are living it.)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
At this point I have mostly anectdotal evidence. In my own case, I became much happier when I stopped pretending to believe (for the sake of my grandparents) and simply stated that I did not. I have discussed this with others who found a new happiness because they didn't have to attempt to divine the desires of some inscrutible deity and they learned to make their own decisions and take responsibility for their own lives. This is incredibly liberating.
Then I'm happy for you. Some people just can't find their way with God. It happens. As long as what you do doesn't hurt anyone, I'm happy for ya!
I proposed a couple of methods to test this more generally, but you claimed that the inherent bias of self-reporting would invalidate any conclusions. While I disagree, I do see your point on this. But I would also then point out that any self-reporting from the religious side about *their* happiness is inadmissable.
Agreed. I don't know if that kind of statistic can be calculated fairly. Both sides will be biased. Atheists will say they're happier without religion, Christians will say they're happier with religion....

Who's to say?

But like you, all I can go off of is my personal experiences and that of those I've known. What I can tell, those that are irreligious seem more stressed out about the little things like taxes, bills, etc. Or they're worried about the big things like a cheating spouse. Not to say Christian people don't have affairs, they do. But it seems they do it much less often.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>That's what they don't get, they think they're perfect.

So your dad was a pilot? was that story true?
No.

It's an old pilot joke.

I'm an old pilot.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
How can it be a HAIR style? There's no HAIR! LOL.
It's shaved off on purpose. It's the hair style some men want. There doesn't need to be hair to have a hair style.

A hairstyle, hairdo, or haircut refers to the styling of hair, usually on the human head. The fashioning of hair can be considered an aspect of personal grooming, fashion, and cosmetics, although practical, cultural, and popular considerations also influence some hairstyles.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairstyle

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
What a lot of people don't understand is that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is unlike a lot of churches, because we invite people to search for evidence and test what we are saying. Here are a few examples from the Book of Mormon:

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

(In other words: read it, think about it, pray about it, and God will tell you if its true)
He told me its not.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
It's an old pilot joke.
I'm an old pilot.
Whats the difference between a good stewardess and a great stewardess?

The good one says, "Good morning, Captain".

The great one says, "It's morning, Captain".

:o
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
Congratulations for belonging to one of the more batshit crazy religions. Your Joe Smith was a snake oil salesman with his Golden plates, transcribing what was supposedly on them behind a curtain. And of course like the Mythical Jesus, they eventually rose up into the sky on their way to heaven. I can't imagine what makes potentially intelligent people believe total bullshit like this, amazing!!!!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Yawn link less spam. Ashamed to show your source for this tripe? There is a plethora of catholic hating pentecostal sites that scream the pope is satan and such. Yawn.

Let's try it this way. What is the largest Christian denomination Riverside Retard?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Question: What is the difference between Catholicism and Biblical.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

This is a keeper! Ya just try calling a catholic a Christian they get furious!

Lmfao!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Catholics are a member of Christianity, but they're not Christian.
Try calling a catholic a Christian......

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Patrick 186
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr Patrick 832
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 3 hr Patrick 16
Of Interest InTheNews 3 hr Patrick 3
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 3 hr Patrick 359
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Patrick 21,382
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... Wed Patrick 1,285
•••
•••