Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143247 Dec 12, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
You're smart.
yh, you keep sayin' it and i might just believe it.:-)

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#143248 Dec 12, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>Thing is, its obvious to everyone, that they have a religion. They just feel secure deluding themselves that can prove they don't have a religion :)
With the gays, it does not matter how much they throw up gay rights and gay marriage..their lifestyle is still a sin. Sodomy is a sin.
And they may get the victory of gay marriage. But let me see them try and convince people that its not a sin.
Gays must face God. And it does not matter if they don't believe God exist. What they believe has no relevance on the existence of God. And they will have to give an account for their lifetime of practicing Sodomy.
Let God deal with them. That's why they will fight to the death mentally to make themselves believe "No God". Because if mentally they can delude themselves into thinking "No God", then they can satisfy their conscience that there will no consequence for their Sodomy.
Any Christian worth that title...knows exactly what is going on.
lol
UidiotRACEMAkeWO RLDPEACE

United States

#143249 Dec 12, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>Don't blame the messenger. Blame the originator of the message:
Mar 9:43 And if thy hand cause thee to stumble, cut it off: it is good for thee to enter into life maimed, rather than having thy two hands to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire;
Mar 9:44 where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mar 9:45 And if thy foot cause thee to stumble, cut it off: it is good for thee to enter into life halt, rather than having thy two feet to be cast into hell;
Mar 9:46 where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mar 9:47 And if thine eye cause thee to stumble, cast it out: it is good for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell;
Mar 9:48 where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
----------
I point you to Jesus Christ.
You obviously have a problem with hell, take it up with Jesus.
Or is it rather convenient...those verses are part of the bible, you don't believe?
Rather convenient eh?
Your mad-man made religion , quench evil by use of fire, are you by chance pyromaniac? During the the Salem Trail for wicthcraft, not proven until but alot of innocents people where burned to death without fair trail to prove their innocences in a court of law... wow what a ugly nutty religion. Till today you xtain US fundies still killed many people around the globe ,and still waging wars worldwide
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#143250 Dec 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are entitled to you opinion Doctor. Iím not trying to take that away. But we in the topix community need to understand youíre not a scientist nor have a degree in science. Your degree is in the arts.
His degree is in the sciences so his opinion is worthy of consideration when it comes to science. Your profession is in the arts so if you make a statement about music composition or musicality that needs to be seriously considered because of your experience and education, right? Well the same goes for him.
You donít see him on TBN or in religious circles. He is a internationally respected scientist. You are not that far from him Doctor. Go take a short ride and have coffee with him and talk about it. You know Doctors talking to Doctors, man to man.
You don't have to be a scientist to know how science works, no more than you don't have to be a trained musician to know and understand how music works. A simple music appreciate class is sufficient to understand even complex music, I teach them all the time.

When someone makes such an astonishingly stupid observation as a mile high glacier melting and causing a global flood, one of two things is possible. Either someone has taken an article he has written and twisted it to accommodate this mythical flood, or the man is an idiot, there is no third choice. A mile high glacier would be 2842 miles long, from CT to the North Pole. Forget about his credentials, just how long do you think it would take to melt this 2342 miles of mile high ice to melt? A rough estimate will be fine. Second question, do you really think Noah lived during the Pliocene era some 20 million years ago, because thats approximately when the polar ice spread down into North America?

In order to accept his premiss both these questions have to be answered. You don't need to know anything about science to realize how long that much ice would take to melt. Nor do you have to be a scientist to know anything about the Pliocene era and the ice age.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#143251 Dec 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

If an wooden airplane as big as a ship can fly, then the Ark could be built and float.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
An wooden airplane?
Would you then say, "a ark?"
He came from a long line of wooden cigar Indians.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#143252 Dec 12, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
If you EVER produce ANY evidence that your particular deity is the right one AND all the others are NOT, I'll consider it.
Why would you ever consider going to me for evidence of a deity? I'm not a god and I'm not a spokesman for a god.

Why not go to the source? Only God can provide persuasive evidence that he exists to you. Don't look for convincing evidence, that is not effective, look for persuasive evidence.

The problem a lot of people have with getting evidence that God exists is that they do not understand the difference between persuasive and convincing evidence. Acquiring convincing evidence is not feasible because it would require that you look at all aspects of all religions and would take longer than a lifetime to accomplish. Acquiring persuasive evidence, however, tips the scale and allows an individual to form a basis for belief extending beyond the limitations of reasonable doubt.

How do you find persuasive evidence? You can "audit" the religions, first setting a level of "audit risk" or risk you are willing to take at coming to the wrong conclusion about a faith and then set your other risk levels (such as sampling risk, detection risk etc) accordingly to determine what constitutes a "material misstatement" by a religious faith and conduct your audit from there. Following this method would take a little less time than acquiring "convincing evidence" because you are sampling religions rather than analyzing the whole entity.

OR you can save yourself a big head ache and pray about it sincerely and see where that takes you.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#143253 Dec 12, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
We are all humans but we all have different personalities. I don't know if it's to do with nature or nurture, but we are different. The religious scriptures of India don't teach us to force our ideology on other people, but for some reason the Bible/Koran do and most followers of these religions think it's their duty to force their beliefs on others.
As one of those people who has gone door to door talking to people about religion, I want to let you know I wasn't trying to force my belief on any one.

I have found a faith that brings incredible happiness to my family and me, and so I want to share that happiness with others.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#143254 Dec 12, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again. This time wif feewing.
Not believing in something is not a belief system.
True! Not believing in ANYTHING is a belief in NOTHING, and nothing from nothing leaves nothing, which is the entire content of your soul.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#143255 Dec 12, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If an wooden airplane as big as a ship can fly, then the Ark could be built and float.
<quoted text>
He came from a long line of wooden cigar Indians.
I hesitate to call anybody an imbecile.

But with Eagle, I have a hard time restraining myself.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#143256 Dec 12, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
As one of those people who has gone door to door talking to people about religion, I want to let you know I wasn't trying to force my belief on any one.
I have found a faith that brings incredible happiness to my family and me, and so I want to share that happiness with others.
There is nothing wrong with faith as long as it is a positive motivator, some people need this. You have said it fulfills something in you . When we talk evidence however , scientifically
to qualify as such the criteria is clear.

Information that is acquired by observation or experimentation,
thus it has to be demonstrable , and repeatable to pass peer review. Sadly this is where evidence of religious nature falls short. So compelling evidence in a scientific manner would have to be verifiable. Hearsay is not evidence , neither are claims from a single source of reference.

This is why your faith is divorced from compelling evidence, as it does not require it. I'm afraid religion is built upon the fallacious and superstitious minds. This does not have to be a bad thing , we all need the gathering for certain unavoidable circumstance life and death brings.

But you will have to understand the nature of religion to truly understand the motivating factors of organized religion.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#143257 Dec 12, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I hesitate to call anybody an imbecile.
But with Eagle, I have a hard time restraining myself.
[Tipping hat] My compliments.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#143258 Dec 12, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You don't have to be a scientist to know how science works, no more than you don't have to be a trained musician to know and understand how music works. A simple music appreciate class is sufficient to understand even complex music, I teach them all the time.
When someone makes such an astonishingly stupid observation as a mile high glacier melting and causing a global flood, one of two things is possible. Either someone has taken an article he has written and twisted it to accommodate this mythical flood, or the man is an idiot, there is no third choice. A mile high glacier would be 2842 miles long, from CT to the North Pole. Forget about his credentials, just how long do you think it would take to melt this 2342 miles of mile high ice to melt? A rough estimate will be fine. Second question, do you really think Noah lived during the Pliocene era some 20 million years ago, because thats approximately when the polar ice spread down into North America?
In order to accept his premiss both these questions have to be answered. You don't need to know anything about science to realize how long that much ice would take to melt. Nor do you have to be a scientist to know anything about the Pliocene era and the ice age.
Iím not an oceanographer or an expert on the ice age. I do know that ice and snow in North America can melt pretty damn fast. Causing widespread flooding all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.

When I lived in Arizona there were these deep canals that were nearly always dry. There would be signs saying,ďDanger - Flash Flood Area.Ē At the time it looked like a joke because the canals were dry as a bone and this was the desert.

But at certain times of the year a wall of water comes rushing down the mountains. Like a dam break sort of speak. Thereís no slow trickle of water or gradual increase in the water level in the canal. One minute the canals are bone dry. The next 10 seconds there is a massive wave of water moving down the canal.

Itís hard to understand when you havenít seen that kind of water movement. It wouldnít matter if you were a Olympic swimmer. The water would take you down. Lots of people have drowned in these canals because they donít believe a flash flood can happen in seconds.

As water begins to melt it pools up in certain areas in the mountains. Ice and debris prevents the water from flowing down into the valley. Then the natural ice dam breaks and a wall of water come gushing down at a pretty rapid clip.

I said that to say thereís a lot you donít know about ocean science Doctor. You may think you do but itís not your field of discipline. Flooding doesnít have to be from melting ice. A earthquake in the oceans can send a wall of water higher than a 10 story building. Japan knows something about that kind of energy. And itís not a slow gradual flood. It happens in seconds.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#143259 Dec 12, 2012
Hard to believe that in today's day and age people would still believe that a sky wizard got angry at babies nursing and flooded the entire earth.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Iím not an oceanographer or an expert on anything.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#143260 Dec 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
How many werewolf believers are trying to make carrying silver illegal?
I think that carrying silver should be mandatory.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#143261 Dec 13, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Hard to believe that in today's day and age people would still believe that a sky wizard got angry at babies nursing and flooded the entire earth.
<quoted text>
&fe ature=g-high-f

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#143262 Dec 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hughes H-4 Hercules, also known as the "Spruce Goose."
Was built out of wood, weigh 400,000 pounds, 218 feet long, wing span of 320 feet, and be five stories tall. At the time (1947) it was the largest aircraft ever built. It held that record for decades.
Critics claimed that it was not air worthy, it was too big and would not be able to fly because it was heavy. It was a ship with wings.
Wiki:
During a Senate hearing on August 6, 1947 (the first of a series of appearances), Hughes said:
{The Hercules was a monumental undertaking. It is the largest aircraft ever built. It is over five stories tall with a wingspan longer than a football field. That's more than a city block. Now, I put the sweat of my life into this thing. I have my reputation all rolled up in it and I have stated several times that if it's a failure I'll probably leave this country and never come back. And I mean it}.
I see you are still taking you dumb pills.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#143263 Dec 13, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>There are a lot of 'maybe's' in that article!

But here's the stupid test: Could a wooden ship withstand the deluge that magnitude? No. Hell, we still cannot make one that huge out of wood, let alone make it float!

So no, it did not pass the stupid test.
Which also raises the question:

What happened with all the ice from the poles and glaciers?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#143264 Dec 13, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>If I can add a fact here, Boss continues to be, besides stupid as hell, nasty as sh*t.

Hey Boss that's not ad hominem: as I said, it's the fact.

Now get back to your bible.
That's why I don't mind pointing out his stupidity.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#143265 Dec 13, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>I'm in a league of my own, sunshine, there's no comparison, LOL.

Bra's are annoying pieces of.....that give ya nothing but pain, burn them, burn them!!!!!!!
I agree!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#143266 Dec 13, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>But I don't know where to start, I'll do it wrong.
There's an editor function.

And don't worry about doing it wrong. All of your entries will be checked before they are added.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 48 min Thinking 90
Man center of the universe. 50 min Thinking 87
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 1,009
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 15 hr I can read 22,981
Islam for peace, or violence? 15 hr Thinking 26
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Oct 17 Thinking 6
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 16 Mikko 1,401

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE