Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,881)

Showing posts 137,601 - 137,620 of216,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

What Is Atheism?

No one asks this question enough.

The reason no one asks this question a lot is because most people have preconceived ideas and notions about what an Atheist is and is not. Where these preconceived ideas come from varies, but they tend to evolve from theistic influences or other sources.

Atheism is usually defined incorrectly as a belief system. Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. Older dictionaries define atheism as "a belief that there is no God."
Some dictionaries even go so far as to define Atheism as "wickedness," "sinfulness," and other derogatory adjectives. Clearly, theistic influence taints dictionaries. People cannot trust these dictionaries to define atheism. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as "there is no God" betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read "there are no gods."

Why should atheists allow theists to define who atheists are? Do other minorities allow the majority to define their character, views, and opinions? No, they do not. So why does everyone expect atheists to lie down and accept the definition placed upon them by the world’s theists? Atheists will define themselves.

Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion. While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. Two commonly used funny retorts to the nonsense that atheism is a religion are: 1)
If atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color, and 2) If atheism is a religion then health is a disease. A new one introduced in 2012 by Bill Maher is, "If atheism is a religion, then abstinence is a sexual position."

The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings. Some of the best debates we have ever had have been with fellow atheists. This is because atheists do not have a common belief system, sacred scripture or atheist Pope.
This means atheists often disagree on many issues and ideas. Atheists come in a variety of shapes, colors, beliefs, convictions, and backgrounds. We are as unique as our fingerprints.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of 'maybe's' in that article!
But here's the stupid test: Could a wooden ship withstand the deluge that magnitude? No. Hell, we still cannot make one that huge out of wood, let alone make it float!
So no, it did not pass the stupid test.
Hughes H-4 Hercules, also known as the "Spruce Goose."

Was built out of wood, weigh 400,000 pounds, 218 feet long, wing span of 320 feet, and be five stories tall. At the time (1947) it was the largest aircraft ever built. It held that record for decades.

Critics claimed that it was not air worthy, it was too big and would not be able to fly because it was heavy. It was a ship with wings.

Wiki:

During a Senate hearing on August 6, 1947 (the first of a series of appearances), Hughes said:

{The Hercules was a monumental undertaking. It is the largest aircraft ever built. It is over five stories tall with a wingspan longer than a football field. That's more than a city block. Now, I put the sweat of my life into this thing. I have my reputation all rolled up in it and I have stated several times that if it's a failure I'll probably leave this country and never come back. And I mean it}.

If an wooden airplane as big as a ship can fly, then the Ark could be built and float.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What is a "decent social environment"? There's no one single definition for it. It's relative.
From reading your posts it's no surprise you don't know what a "decent social environment" is. You should get out more. Hanging with the boys at the muskrat bar and swilling wild turkey is NOT what I mean by "getting out more."

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
So again you are asserting Catholics are not Christians so you think Catholics do not believe in Jesus. If Catholics believe in Jesus and his biblical teachings they are Christians.
So what branch of Christianity do you align yourself with again? Stop being a chickensht coward and answer the question.
Amazing how cowardly you lot are when simply asked what religion to adhere to.
I am thinking Pentecostal holy screamer.
<quoted text>
People have the right to private personal information.

I don’t recall him asking you about your bra cup size or if your nipples are small or large. Or if they’re sagging, or perky.(Don’t tell me)

I’ll answer the question for him. The answer is “noneya.”

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>You're lying. Prove that you love your mother.
Watch my actions, and if you want, read a PET scan of my brain while I am thinking about my mother.
Prove that 1 +1 = 2; 1X1=1; 1-1=0; 1/1=1. Give us the proof of why. Do not use a book, no internet, no mathematicians and humans, just simply prove it yourself.
Well, since I *am* a mathematician, I have to use a mathematician to prove these things.

Example:
1) Definition: 1=S0, 2=S1
2) Assumptions: x+0=x and x+Sy=S(x+y) for all x and y.

Claim: 1+1=2
Proof: 1+1=1+S0=S(1+0)=S1=2.
3) Assumption: x*0=0 and x*Sy=x*y +x for all x and y.

Claim: 1*1=1
Proof: 1*S0=1*0 +1=0+1=0+S0=S(0+0)=S0=1.
Now, atheists will simply believe does math equations true,
No, I *prove* them from the assumptions of mathematics. Those assumptions, on the other hand, are just that: assumptions. They are not proven.
just like you all believed that the world was flat and now you believe that there are "black holes" when you have no proof that there are.
Actually, there is a quite a lot of proof that black holes exist. but you do have to know what it means to be a black hole and you have to know enough to interpret the evidence.
Prove that there universe is more than 10,000 years old and that your time continum of 14.5 billion years is not just a false measurement of time due to time, space and laws of physics not being relative.
You don't think these types of things are discussed in the physics journals when the issues come up? Your philosophy is trivial and doesn't even come close to how things are proven in the real world.

Since: Dec 12

Casablanca, Morocco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

religions gives bad concept of the world: most of them relate the existence to human biengs, and makes human related to god, this make the world meaningless, if we conseder that every society has its religion and gods, i conseder that religion is out of date, its better to listen to music than practice religions, just take look here: http://adf.ly/FqnJg

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok then. We agree that there are many types of atheists.
There are also many types of Christians.
All of which have beliefs.
Your idea of a study would be too biased to be considered. Most atheists that used to be religious have a chip on their shoulder & would lie to make the stats seem higher.....
OK, so come up with a way to measure the difference. This seems like it would be an easily decidable question. PET scans, perhaps?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The belief system based on the belief that there is no God.
Describe it.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's much more than one belief....
Atheists believe in a lot of things, they're just too afraid to admit it. Or maybe they're to egotistical.
There is one belief under the label "gnostic atheism", but there are no atheistic beliefs. Gnostic atheism is not a belief system, unless there are additional beliefs. One belief is not a system.

You're claiming that there are, so you need to provide them, unless you are just lying, in which case you won't, because you can't.

If egotism is driving anyone, it will be the one who is unable to support their position. Right now, that's you, halfwit.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is more like calling bald is a hair style.
It is.....
WTF?

Care to try that one more time?

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Theism has belief systems but atheism doesn't?
How convenient.
Theism is the category of people who subscribe to deity based belief systems.

Atheism is the category of people who do not subscribe to deity based belief systems.

That is rather convenient, useful, and easy for some people to understand.

I worry about those that can't understand it. It's not difficult.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Men don't need to wear bras you reject. Well Fatasses like Buck may need to wear one but that's another story.

I wonder why so many believers on here are so ashamed of their religion? Remember Daffy he is the one claiming Catholics are not Christians are you agreeing with him now? Before you spoke against this.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
People have the right to private personal information.
I don’t recall him asking you about your bra cup size or if your nipples are small or large. Or if they’re sagging, or perky.(Don’t tell me)
I’ll answer the question for him. The answer is “noneya.”

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hughes H-4 Hercules, also known as the "Spruce Goose."
Was built out of wood, weigh 400,000 pounds, 218 feet long, wing span of 320 feet, and be five stories tall. At the time (1947) it was the largest aircraft ever built. It held that record for decades.
Critics claimed that it was not air worthy, it was too big and would not be able to fly because it was heavy. It was a ship with wings.
Wiki:
During a Senate hearing on August 6, 1947 (the first of a series of appearances), Hughes said:
{The Hercules was a monumental undertaking. It is the largest aircraft ever built. It is over five stories tall with a wingspan longer than a football field. That's more than a city block. Now, I put the sweat of my life into this thing. I have my reputation all rolled up in it and I have stated several times that if it's a failure I'll probably leave this country and never come back. And I mean it}.
If an wooden airplane as big as a ship can fly, then the Ark could be built and float.
He used a mixture of steel frames, barges and wood. Did noah have some steel? No.

Did it survive the deluge that you described? No.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF?
Care to try that one more time?
LLLLOL, "bald is a hair style".

Is that his way of saying that non-belief is a belief system?

lol, you guys are tooo funny!

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The belief that you're right.
The belief that the bible is all lies.
The belief that religious people are stupid.
The belief that life created itself.
The belief that prayer is all in your mind.
The belief that Jesus never existed.
The belief that Moses never existed.
The belief that Paul never existed.
The belief that God isn't omnipresent.
(funny one) The belief that God causes bad things to happen or doesn't prevent them from happening.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.
That's your belief system.
If you could prove ANY of it, it becomes fact instead of belief.
Wacky waving inflatable arm flailing strawmen!

We are currently overstocked on wacky waving inflatable arm flailing strawmen and accessories!

Come get your wacky waving inflatable arm flailing strawmen and accessories at Riverside wacky waving inflatable arm flailing strawmen wholesale supplier today!
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, but you don't see Dick Dawkins promoting an anti-werewolf ad, do you..........
A belief in werewolves is not dangerous, religion is. See the difference!!!!?????? People who believe in werewolves don't fly planes into buildings, blow themselves and other up, tell me I deserve to spend eternity in agony, attempt to tell my children religiously motivated lies, attempt to keep from my children scientific facts, and they don't make every effort to block medical advancements like stem cell research.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
Men don't need to wear bras you reject. Well Fatasses like Buck may need to wear one but that's another story.
I wonder why so many believers on here are so ashamed of their religion? Remember Daffy he is the one claiming Catholics are not Christians are you agreeing with him now? Before you spoke against this.
<quoted text>
lol

Neither do women, but for some reason we still do.

If we can do it, so can you! hehehehe

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>A belief in werewolves is not dangerous, religion is. See the difference!!!!?????? People who believe in werewolves don't fly planes into buildings, blow themselves and other up, tell me I deserve to spend eternity in agony, attempt to tell my children religiously motivated lies, attempt to keep from my children scientific facts, and they don't make every effort to block medical advancements like stem cell research.

He's not going to see it because he doesn't want to.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Robert Ballard has a distinguished career in oceanography and underwater archeology. He is a professor in Oceanography which is a science. Universities are known for doing scientific research. They get millions in grants for their work.
Dr. Ballard is not some religious nut but a serious internationally renown scientist. This is a man who knows oceans, marine life and hydrodynamics. That makes his opinion worthy of consideration.
Wiki:
Robert Duane Ballard (born June 30, 1942) is a former United States Navy officer and a professor of oceanography at the University of Rhode Island who is most noted for his work in underwater archaeology: maritime archaeology and archaeology of shipwrecks. He is most known for the discoveries of the wrecks of the RMS Titanic in 1985, the battleship Bismarck in 1989, and the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown in 1998. He discovered the wreck of John F. Kennedy's PT-109 in 2002 and visited Biuku Gasa and Eroni Kumana, who saved its crew. Ballard leads ocean exploration on E/V Nautilus.
http://www.biography.com/people/robert-ballar...
Deep-sea archaeologist and oceanographer Robert Ballard is a former commander in the United States navy and a professor of oceanography at the University of Rhode Island. He is best known for discovering the wreck of the RMS Titanic in 1985, drawing on his experience with scuba diving and using small, unmanned submersibles controlled from a surface ship to scan the ocean floor.
Wiki:
Oceanography (compound of the Greek words &#969;&#954;&#949; &#945;&#957;&#972; &#962; meaning "ocean" and &#947;&#961;&#940; &#966;&#969; meaning "to write"), also called oceanology or marine science, is the branch of Earth science that studies the ocean. It covers a wide range of topics, including marine organisms and ecosystem dynamics; ocean currents, waves, and geophysical fluid dynamics; plate tectonics and the geology of the sea floor; and fluxes of various chemical substances and physical properties within the ocean and across its boundaries. These diverse topics reflect multiple disciplines that oceanographers blend to further knowledge of the world ocean and understanding of processes within it: biology, chemistry, geology, meteorology, and physics as well as geography.
I don't care what his credentials are, arguments from authority mean nothing if the information is flawed. Any REAL scientists knows that a global flood is an impossibility, and to infer that glacial melt could possible be the cause of a global flood make his credibility highly questionable. The fact that a mere child with basic scientific information can see the insurmountable problems with this premiss, says a lot. His picture of a mile high "Ice cube" stretching from CT to the north pole, and then suddenly melting to cause this flood is laughable. Just how long do you suppose it wold take that much ice to melt? Time frame is all wrong unless you want to maintain that Noah lived 20 million years ago during the Pliocene era.

It's childish and no worthy of any consideration whatsoever. If Mr. Ballard actual supports this idea, then I don't care what his credentials are, he's an idiot of the highest order. I suspect someone got ahold of something he wrote and bent and twisted it into this absurd premiss. No scientist worth his salt thinks a global flood actually happened.

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they're afraid of admitting they have beliefs.
Exactly.
And the reason why they are scared to death to admit they have beliefs, is that they do not want to deal with the issue that their beliefs could be wrong.

Because that would mean mentally acknowledging, that Christians could be right about their beliefs. Which means an eternal roasting hell for them as atheists.

Christians can't be scared of their beliefs. Because there is nothing to lose. Nothingness and oblivion, is nothing to fear.

The ironic thing is, we know they are scared about the Christian belief system. But they will argue all day here that its a myth. Then when they lay down at night, they can't help the screaming in the back of their mind....GOD. Because they know the absurdity of their mental position and they can't use science to back it.

I found out atheists are not that hard to figure out.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 137,601 - 137,620 of216,195
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••