Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#143165 Dec 12, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, then, that is part of *my* belief system. I base my truth claims on evidence when dealing with the real world (and axiom systems when dealing with math and logic). The claim that there is an intelligence that is responsible for the universe is a very large claim and would require a great deal more evidence than anything ever presented by religious believers. I have found that most religious people think that simply pointing around them constitutes evidence for such an intelligence without really realizing the types of evidence required to prove their proposition. For one: complexity is definitely not enough.
But what you fail to grasp is that there is no single collection of beliefs that all atheists hold except for the simply *lack* of belief in deities. Some (probably most) are atheists because of reasoning similar to mine (i.e, lack of convincing evidence for a deity), some are atheists because of rebellion (a very poor reason, in my view), some are atheists and believe in an afterlife. Some are atheist and do not (I, for one, do not).
The point is that being an atheist simply means you lack a belief in any deity. How you came to lack such belief, whether through positive or negative causes, is irrelevant to the basic definition.
Now, atheists will tend to not believe the Bible is completely accurate since it mentions a deity. For the same reason, they will tend to not consider the Iliad completely accurate. In neither case do they consider the writings as sufficient reason to believe everything written.
<quoted text>
Well, at least it is a claim that can be tested. Shall we survey those who have believed in a religion then decided it was wrong and find out whether they find themselves happier before or after?
Ok then. We agree that there are many types of atheists.

There are also many types of Christians.

All of which have beliefs.

Your idea of a study would be too biased to be considered. Most atheists that used to be religious have a chip on their shoulder & would lie to make the stats seem higher.....

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#143166 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
We agree that there are many types of atheists. There are also many types of Christians. All of which have beliefs.
While all atheists may have beliefs, what they all have in common is that they do *not* have a belief in a god.
what the heck

Des Plaines, IL

#143167 Dec 12, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! LOL, NEVER TRUST WIKI, WHICH IDIOT WROTE THAT?
MIRACLES? WHAT F*CKIN' MIRACLES?
No, that is not what a sikh is.
All that is wrong! Firstly, sikh and khalsa are two different things now. I hate it when people don't read the scriptures and they make shit up.
I'll give you background to sikh scriptures later.
I do declare miss clemmingtime.Why I ought aaaaaaahhh!!!!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143170 Dec 12, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you feel that would make it a better place?
I don't, but I think atheists believe if religion was eradicated, the world would become a better place.

I don't think that religious belief is the cause of all the problems in the world. If it was, you wouldn't find good christians and muslims. Those people are evil who think a merciful God who created the whole world would discriminate against his own children and punish them for not loving him. They are stupid if they cannot see that their religious scripture does not make sense.

Like I said before religious scriptures reflect the personality of the writer. People in the middle east/west have no problem killing animals, whereas killing an animal in the Indian culture was seen as a very cruel, uncivilised and barbaric act, so our religions tell us to be kind to animals, but the Koran/Bible don't.

We are all humans but we all have different personalities. I don't know if it's to do with nature or nurture, but we are different. The religious scriptures of India don't teach us to force our ideology on other people, but for some reason the Bible/Koran do and most followers of these religions think it's their duty to force their beliefs on others.

Humans need an excuse to fight, if they don't fight over religious differences they fight because of other differences, like skin colour, money, women/men, land or even over what film to watch at the cinema, lol. The problem is our thinking not religion, if we can change our thinking the world would become a better place.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143171 Dec 12, 2012
what the heck wrote:
<quoted text> I do declare miss clemmingtime.Why I ought aaaaaaahhh!!!!
What ya talkin' about?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#143173 Dec 12, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you an adult? Cause you write in a very childish and infantile way.
Before you go off on one. Step back and think. I'm guessing you are quite a self centered person.
Just get a grip man. And grow up.
And start being nicer to people here, and think of other people's feelings here for a change.
It's the ONLY way he can feel important. He thinks his fake accent is clever, and sets him aside as someone special. Unfortunately he's too stupid to realize how childish and silly it is. He must have a very shallow life, and here on topic he can post in his juvenile way and draw much wanted attention to himself. Personally I feel nothing but extreme pity for him. Sad, very sad. I scroll by whenever I see his posts, I'll have nothing to do with this fruitcake.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#143175 Dec 12, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately the man is NOT a scientist, and for that matter not a very good historian since he is unaware of the date of the last ice age. The ice age that put a giant ice cube one mile above his house in CT. The last ice age began in the Pliocene era about 20 million years ago.
He also fails to realize as you do, that the Earth is a CLOSED SYSTEM, we can't make "new" water, what we have is all there is. Granted should the water locked in ice in both the pole's melt in would flood major cities along coastal areas, but there simply is NOT enough water on the globe to flood the entire surface of the globe. That would take somewhere in the order of 3.5 billion cubic MILES of EXTRA water.
I am surprised at you for not knowing basic facts concerning the planet you live on.
Geological evidence of a world-wide flood would be a single identifiable world-wide layer of sediment. There is no such evidence, it's a myth, please don't embarrass yourself by posting batshit crazy people's take on an event that never took place.
Dr. Robert Ballard has a distinguished career in oceanography and underwater archeology. He is a professor in Oceanography which is a science. Universities are known for doing scientific research. They get millions in grants for their work.

Dr. Ballard is not some religious nut but a serious internationally renown scientist. This is a man who knows oceans, marine life and hydrodynamics. That makes his opinion worthy of consideration.

Wiki:

Robert Duane Ballard (born June 30, 1942) is a former United States Navy officer and a professor of oceanography at the University of Rhode Island who is most noted for his work in underwater archaeology: maritime archaeology and archaeology of shipwrecks. He is most known for the discoveries of the wrecks of the RMS Titanic in 1985, the battleship Bismarck in 1989, and the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown in 1998. He discovered the wreck of John F. Kennedy's PT-109 in 2002 and visited Biuku Gasa and Eroni Kumana, who saved its crew. Ballard leads ocean exploration on E/V Nautilus.

http://www.biography.com/people/robert-ballar...

Deep-sea archaeologist and oceanographer Robert Ballard is a former commander in the United States navy and a professor of oceanography at the University of Rhode Island. He is best known for discovering the wreck of the RMS Titanic in 1985, drawing on his experience with scuba diving and using small, unmanned submersibles controlled from a surface ship to scan the ocean floor.

Wiki:

Oceanography (compound of the Greek words &#969;&#954;&#949; &#945;&#957;&#972; &#962; meaning "ocean" and &#947;&#961;&#940; &#966;&#969; meaning "to write"), also called oceanology or marine science, is the branch of Earth science that studies the ocean. It covers a wide range of topics, including marine organisms and ecosystem dynamics; ocean currents, waves, and geophysical fluid dynamics; plate tectonics and the geology of the sea floor; and fluxes of various chemical substances and physical properties within the ocean and across its boundaries. These diverse topics reflect multiple disciplines that oceanographers blend to further knowledge of the world ocean and understanding of processes within it: biology, chemistry, geology, meteorology, and physics as well as geography.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#143176 Dec 12, 2012
As soon as the werewolf people start trying to stop science from progressing because Saint Woof Woof telepathically told them to I am sure he would.

Oh and Catholics actually do believe in Jesus. I know that's hard for you to comprehend.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, but you don't see Dick Dawkins promoting an anti-werewolf ad, do you..........

Southern Illinois

#143177 Dec 12, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
How many werewolf believers are trying to make carrying silver illegal?
All of them want silver bullets outlawed.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#143178 Dec 12, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Still stuck trying to convince yourself of this straw man fallacy. No one is buying it.
Just like theism, there are a number of different philosophies under the category of atheism.
There is of course Buddhism, which is a non-deity based philosophy.
FYI, any Buddhist who believes in karma and reincarnation is practicing a faith based on a supernatural entity rewarding them for good behaviour.

And as for your claim of treating people with dignity; I have yet to see you do that.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#143179 Dec 12, 2012
So again you are asserting Catholics are not Christians so you think Catholics do not believe in Jesus. If Catholics believe in Jesus and his biblical teachings they are Christians.

So what branch of Christianity do you align yourself with again? Stop being a chickensht coward and answer the question.

Amazing how cowardly you lot are when simply asked what religion to adhere to.

I am thinking Pentecostal holy screamer.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just not getting it.
I don't think I can help you.
Catholics are Christians like white people are Americans.
They have a different belief system, different bible, different way of practicing their religion, etc.
Catholics are a member of Christianity, but they are by no means Christian.
(which is why they're called "Catholics")
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#143180 Dec 12, 2012
What Is Atheism?

No one asks this question enough.

The reason no one asks this question a lot is because most people have preconceived ideas and notions about what an Atheist is and is not. Where these preconceived ideas come from varies, but they tend to evolve from theistic influences or other sources.

Atheism is usually defined incorrectly as a belief system. Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. Older dictionaries define atheism as "a belief that there is no God."
Some dictionaries even go so far as to define Atheism as "wickedness," "sinfulness," and other derogatory adjectives. Clearly, theistic influence taints dictionaries. People cannot trust these dictionaries to define atheism. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as "there is no God" betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read "there are no gods."

Why should atheists allow theists to define who atheists are? Do other minorities allow the majority to define their character, views, and opinions? No, they do not. So why does everyone expect atheists to lie down and accept the definition placed upon them by the world’s theists? Atheists will define themselves.

Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion. While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. Two commonly used funny retorts to the nonsense that atheism is a religion are: 1)
If atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color, and 2) If atheism is a religion then health is a disease. A new one introduced in 2012 by Bill Maher is, "If atheism is a religion, then abstinence is a sexual position."

The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings. Some of the best debates we have ever had have been with fellow atheists. This is because atheists do not have a common belief system, sacred scripture or atheist Pope.
This means atheists often disagree on many issues and ideas. Atheists come in a variety of shapes, colors, beliefs, convictions, and backgrounds. We are as unique as our fingerprints.

Southern Illinois

#143181 Dec 12, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of 'maybe's' in that article!
But here's the stupid test: Could a wooden ship withstand the deluge that magnitude? No. Hell, we still cannot make one that huge out of wood, let alone make it float!
So no, it did not pass the stupid test.
Hughes H-4 Hercules, also known as the "Spruce Goose."

Was built out of wood, weigh 400,000 pounds, 218 feet long, wing span of 320 feet, and be five stories tall. At the time (1947) it was the largest aircraft ever built. It held that record for decades.

Critics claimed that it was not air worthy, it was too big and would not be able to fly because it was heavy. It was a ship with wings.

Wiki:

During a Senate hearing on August 6, 1947 (the first of a series of appearances), Hughes said:

{The Hercules was a monumental undertaking. It is the largest aircraft ever built. It is over five stories tall with a wingspan longer than a football field. That's more than a city block. Now, I put the sweat of my life into this thing. I have my reputation all rolled up in it and I have stated several times that if it's a failure I'll probably leave this country and never come back. And I mean it}.

If an wooden airplane as big as a ship can fly, then the Ark could be built and float.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#143182 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What is a "decent social environment"? There's no one single definition for it. It's relative.
From reading your posts it's no surprise you don't know what a "decent social environment" is. You should get out more. Hanging with the boys at the muskrat bar and swilling wild turkey is NOT what I mean by "getting out more."

Southern Illinois

#143183 Dec 12, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
So again you are asserting Catholics are not Christians so you think Catholics do not believe in Jesus. If Catholics believe in Jesus and his biblical teachings they are Christians.
So what branch of Christianity do you align yourself with again? Stop being a chickensht coward and answer the question.
Amazing how cowardly you lot are when simply asked what religion to adhere to.
I am thinking Pentecostal holy screamer.
<quoted text>
People have the right to private personal information.

I don’t recall him asking you about your bra cup size or if your nipples are small or large. Or if they’re sagging, or perky.(Don’t tell me)

I’ll answer the question for him. The answer is “noneya.”

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#143184 Dec 12, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>You're lying. Prove that you love your mother.
Watch my actions, and if you want, read a PET scan of my brain while I am thinking about my mother.
Prove that 1 +1 = 2; 1X1=1; 1-1=0; 1/1=1. Give us the proof of why. Do not use a book, no internet, no mathematicians and humans, just simply prove it yourself.
Well, since I *am* a mathematician, I have to use a mathematician to prove these things.

Example:
1) Definition: 1=S0, 2=S1
2) Assumptions: x+0=x and x+Sy=S(x+y) for all x and y.

Claim: 1+1=2
Proof: 1+1=1+S0=S(1+0)=S1=2.
3) Assumption: x*0=0 and x*Sy=x*y +x for all x and y.

Claim: 1*1=1
Proof: 1*S0=1*0 +1=0+1=0+S0=S(0+0)=S0=1.
Now, atheists will simply believe does math equations true,
No, I *prove* them from the assumptions of mathematics. Those assumptions, on the other hand, are just that: assumptions. They are not proven.
just like you all believed that the world was flat and now you believe that there are "black holes" when you have no proof that there are.
Actually, there is a quite a lot of proof that black holes exist. but you do have to know what it means to be a black hole and you have to know enough to interpret the evidence.
Prove that there universe is more than 10,000 years old and that your time continum of 14.5 billion years is not just a false measurement of time due to time, space and laws of physics not being relative.
You don't think these types of things are discussed in the physics journals when the issues come up? Your philosophy is trivial and doesn't even come close to how things are proven in the real world.

Since: Dec 12

Aït Melloul, Morocco

#143185 Dec 12, 2012
religions gives bad concept of the world: most of them relate the existence to human biengs, and makes human related to god, this make the world meaningless, if we conseder that every society has its religion and gods, i conseder that religion is out of date, its better to listen to music than practice religions, just take look here: http://adf.ly/FqnJg

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#143186 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok then. We agree that there are many types of atheists.
There are also many types of Christians.
All of which have beliefs.
Your idea of a study would be too biased to be considered. Most atheists that used to be religious have a chip on their shoulder & would lie to make the stats seem higher.....
OK, so come up with a way to measure the difference. This seems like it would be an easily decidable question. PET scans, perhaps?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#143187 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The belief system based on the belief that there is no God.
Describe it.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#143188 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's much more than one belief....
Atheists believe in a lot of things, they're just too afraid to admit it. Or maybe they're to egotistical.
There is one belief under the label "gnostic atheism", but there are no atheistic beliefs. Gnostic atheism is not a belief system, unless there are additional beliefs. One belief is not a system.

You're claiming that there are, so you need to provide them, unless you are just lying, in which case you won't, because you can't.

If egotism is driving anyone, it will be the one who is unable to support their position. Right now, that's you, halfwit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr geezerjock 23,259
$13.5m for jehovah’s witness sex victim 2 hr P_Smith 2
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 2 hr P_Smith 9
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 3 hr Reason Personified 16
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 hr woodtick57 2,612
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Morse 1,455
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 6 hr thetruth 168
More from around the web