Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239135 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#143217 Dec 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are entitled to you opinion Doctor. Iím not trying to take that away. But we in the topix community need to understand youíre not a scientist nor have a degree in science. Your degree is in the arts.
His degree is in the sciences so his opinion is worthy of consideration when it comes to science. Your profession is in the arts so if you make a statement about music composition or musicality that needs to be seriously considered because of your experience and education, right? Well the same goes for him.
You donít see him on TBN or in religious circles. He is a internationally respected scientist. You are not that far from him Doctor. Go take a short ride and have coffee with him and talk about it. You know Doctors talking to Doctors, man to man.
He said, "We went in there to look for the flood," Ballard told ABC News. "Not just a slow moving, advancing rise of sea level, but a really big flood that then stayed ... the land that went under stayed under."

Not many people dispute a localized flood. Most don't believe the biblical account. Even you don't believe that!

"The questions is, was there a mother of all floods," Ballard asked.

Not one that covered the mountains, no! But locally, yeah! That was the mother of all floods!

"Through carbon dating of shells found", have you ever noticed that carbon dating is only good when the christians think it proves a bible story?

ďthe Epic of Gigamesh.Ē, yes, a much more believable story!

"The earlier Mesopotamian stories are very similar where the gods are sending a flood to wipe out humans," said biblical archaeologist Eric Cline. "There's one man they choose to survive. He builds a boat and brings on animals and lands on a mountain and lives happily ever after? I would argue that it's the same story."

What?!?! A biblical archaeologist says that it is the same story!?!? WOW!

"It's foolish to think you will ever find a ship," Ballard told ABC News, referring to the Ark. "But can you find people who were living? Can you find their villages that are underwater now? And the answer is yes."

Finding where people lived and were flooded then extrapolating that the noah story is true, is stupid!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143218 Dec 12, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>Actually I'm not :)
I don't think you're a mean person just because we disagree.
I have never told you that you will burn in hell for not sharing my belief, but you keep telling people that and that makes you evil!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#143219 Dec 12, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
An wooden airplane?
Would you then say, "a ark?"
I wonder how the Goose would have stood up to tons of water hitting it?

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

#143220 Dec 12, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
He's trapped in the hell of spiritual ignorance. I feel sorry for him!
:)
that is exactly what I think of you and sikhism. Except I don't feel sorry for you. You have read on topix the Gospel of Jesus Christ. You reject, you have no excuse.

I feel sorry for those in your religion, that has yet to hear or read the gospel of the Christ.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#143221 Dec 12, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>you reply with ad hominems?

LOL.

You read my post, and the shoe fit huh? wear it.
Sorry.

Didn't read past the handle and first couple of sentences.

That's all that's necessary to see you're still stupid.

How ya been?

Besides stupid, that is.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#143222 Dec 12, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>He's trapped in the hell of spiritual ignorance. I feel sorry for him!
He is a pathetic sort.

It's hard to feel sorry for his willful ignorance, though.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#143223 Dec 12, 2012
Well at least you know Catholics are Christians so that puts you well above him :)

I have seen some fatass lard bucket men who should wear bras! Ewwwwww!
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
lol
Neither do women, but for some reason we still do.
If we can do it, so can you! hehehehe

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#143224 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>That's a great list of atheist beliefs. Thanks!
Except hat they could be shared equally by the religious. ALL religious.

That's something that can't be said for your religion.

United States

#143225 Dec 12, 2012
Along with millions of animals and to a of food and water inside to care for them with.
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder how the Goose would have stood up to tons of water hitting it?

Since: Sep 10

United States

#143226 Dec 12, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry.
Didn't read past the handle and first couple of sentences.
That's all that's necessary to see you're still stupid.
How ya been?
Besides stupid, that is.
If I can add a fact here, Boss continues to be, besides stupid as hell, nasty as sh*t.

Hey Boss that's not ad hominem: as I said, it's the fact.

Now get back to your bible.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#143227 Dec 12, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! LOL, NEVER TRUST WIKI, WHICH IDIOT WROTE THAT?

MIRACLES? WHAT F*CKIN' MIRACLES?

No, that is not what a sikh is.

All that is wrong! Firstly, sikh and khalsa are two different things now. I hate it when people don't read the scriptures and they make shit up.

I'll give you background to sikh scriptures later.
You can fix it, you know.

If the wiki entry is wrong, you can just go in and fix it.

I've added to and corrected a couple of entries myself.

Location hidden

#143228 Dec 12, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>:)
that is exactly what I think of you and sikhism. Except I don't feel sorry for you. You have read on topix the Gospel of Jesus Christ. You reject, you have no excuse.
I feel sorry for those in your religion, that has yet to hear or read the gospel of the Christ.
lol, I already know you do!:-)

Good, don't feel sorry for me, I thank my religion and God that my thinking is not like yours!!

Lol again, alot of the educated one's have read the bible and our religion talk about it too. You are welcome to those sikhs that convert into christianity, you and they are made for each other.

I hope Jesus can cure your evilness!!

United States

#143229 Dec 12, 2012
Typical Christhole.
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>:)

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#143230 Dec 12, 2012
Clementia wrote:
I wish you best of luck!
What I really need is super powers.
Clementia wrote:
Well, that just shows how insecure they are about their belief. it's like they feel challenged or threatened by different beliefs or non-beliefs.
In America, they are being challenged, and they are losing. Throughout American history, Christianity, our majority religion, has been changing, progressing, splintering, morphing, to the point where there are many disparate "Christian" beliefs. The religion has been under social pressure to adapt, because the alternative, remaining the same, would have meant elimination. We are getting to the point where social pressure is demanding changes too quickly. The religion isn't adapting fast enough. The religious aren't dropping unacceptable beliefs in enough numbers to facilitate a cultural shift within the religion. That creates a bigger divide between progressive Christians and fundamentalists, and a bigger divide between all Christians and non-believers/believers of other religions.
Clementia wrote:
What good is their faith doing? They are telling their fellow human-beings that they are going to roast in hell for not believing in their daddy, who's also meant to be your and my daddy. What's the bloody point of such a belief?
The reasons for faith and religion in the generic sense have existed throughout recorded history. We needed those things in the past, many need them now, and many will need them in the future. These are not the only paths to knowledge, understanding, and beyond family relationships.
Clementia wrote:
There can't be one!!
The world has been like this and I think it's going to stay like this, all we can do is save ourselves from them!
Gambling is a sin, lol.
If the entire world can attain the kind of peace and prosperity that first world nations have, we can substantially decrease the negative elements of faith and religion. The result of that will probably also be a substantial decrease in people who hold religious beliefs. That is the natural progression as I see it. We learn from our mistakes, and do better. What is truly good about religion, will persist, because people will recognize that it was actually good and beneficial.

We can do it if we try!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#143231 Dec 12, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Along with millions of animals and to a of food and water inside to care for them with.
<quoted text>
Yeah, we all know how calm wild animals can Be!

Location hidden

#143232 Dec 12, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Well at least you know Catholics are Christians so that puts you well above him :)
I have seen some fatass lard bucket men who should wear bras! Ewwwwww!
<quoted text>
I'm in a league of my own, sunshine, there's no comparison, LOL.

Bra's are annoying pieces of.....that give ya nothing but pain, burn them, burn them!!!!!!!

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

#143233 Dec 12, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never told you that you will burn in hell for not sharing my belief, but you keep telling people that and that makes you evil!
Don't blame the messenger. Blame the originator of the message:

Mar 9:43 And if thy hand cause thee to stumble, cut it off: it is good for thee to enter into life maimed, rather than having thy two hands to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire;
Mar 9:44 where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mar 9:45 And if thy foot cause thee to stumble, cut it off: it is good for thee to enter into life halt, rather than having thy two feet to be cast into hell;
Mar 9:46 where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mar 9:47 And if thine eye cause thee to stumble, cast it out: it is good for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell;
Mar 9:48 where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
----------
I point you to Jesus Christ.

You obviously have a problem with hell, take it up with Jesus.

Or is it rather convenient...those verses are part of the bible, you don't believe?

Rather convenient eh?

Location hidden

#143234 Dec 12, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You can fix it, you know.
If the wiki entry is wrong, you can just go in and fix it.
I've added to and corrected a couple of entries myself.
But I don't know where to start, I'll do it wrong.

Location hidden

#143235 Dec 12, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>Don't blame the messenger. Blame the originator of the message:
Mar 9:43 And if thy hand cause thee to stumble, cut it off: it is good for thee to enter into life maimed, rather than having thy two hands to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire;
Mar 9:44 where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mar 9:45 And if thy foot cause thee to stumble, cut it off: it is good for thee to enter into life halt, rather than having thy two feet to be cast into hell;
Mar 9:46 where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mar 9:47 And if thine eye cause thee to stumble, cast it out: it is good for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell;
Mar 9:48 where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
----------
I point you to Jesus Christ.
You obviously have a problem with hell, take it up with Jesus.
Or is it rather convenient...those verses are part of the bible, you don't believe?
Rather convenient eh?
JESUS DID NOT WRITE THE BIBLE!!! JESUS DID NOT SAY THAT!!!

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#143236 Dec 12, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.
I have a leg.
It can do almost everything my old leg could do but when I paint my toenails I still only have 5.
:(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 1 hr Thinking 31
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr MikeF 19,040
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr Thinking 2,179
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Thinking 7,396
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 12 hr NoahLovesU 7,468
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 12 hr thetruth 115
News .com | What hope is there without God? May 20 Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
More from around the web