Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,877)

Showing posts 137,521 - 137,540 of223,270
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the belief system that requires evidence before belief and simply doesn't ind any solid evidence for any deity?
In the case of the ad, there is the belief that those who give up religious superstition will end up being happier people.
13Dec12.....

....such as the 'fullTime' scared caveman.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
We were lucky to have four dedicated channels for the Paralympics in the UK. I enjoyed it more than the Olympics. In America, they got very little coverage, which is a great shame for their team.
<quoted text>
13Dec13.....

.....LIAR.....thou art 'dimKing'.

Ps:.....You know nuttin' about the US of A....and obviously BobLoblah knows more. The Paralympics were viewed by 'most' of the WholeWideWorld 'only' to see deformed people doing things and NOT to view their accomplishments. Dat's why you paid attention to it....like an armChair 'colonial-Twit'....who gets his jollies by laughing at the underTrod and ugly-looking. Shame on you, ya schidt-for-brains. You need to take more than ONE schidt to clean out your skull.

Do you know dat the Americans 'kicked' your ancestors out of da country!!!!!

Several hundred years later when some of your Brits began to immigrate to the Americas (for reasons you well know)....they showed up with their 'upppity classs-thinking' and noses stuck in the air as if they were the answer to everything.

....Well, in the Oil & Gas industry they were put in their places and quite a few got tossed.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you an adult? Cause you write in a very childish and infantile way.

Before you go off on one. Step back and think. I'm guessing you are quite a self centered person.

Just get a grip man. And grow up.

And start being nicer to people here, and think of other people's feelings here for a change.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

bob nob gobbler is a very old catholic with a disturbing tendency to post very creepy things to young female posters.
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you an adult? Cause you write in a very childish and infantile way.
Before you go off on one. Step back and think. I'm guessing you are quite a self centered person.
Just get a grip man. And grow up.
And start being nicer to people here, and think of other people's feelings here for a change.
dr fill

Wheeling, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
:)
And I'm going to have a massive sh!t now for the same reason.
<quoted text>
Dont grunt too hard man cause you know how them nasty hemmys are hah?
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

I didn't need to. bob nob gobbler is very sloppy.
dr fill wrote:
<quoted text> Dont grunt too hard man cause you know how them nasty hemmys are hah?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you do this on purpose?
I insist.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

WalterJ wrote:
If there would no God than Where we come? Automatically?
Every creation must have a creator, nothing can be create without creator... So there is One behind our presence in the universe.. And this One create whole universe. If it would One more creator than there must be different but what is be seen? An Perfect ecological balance in whole universe...
So every creation MUST have a creator? Nothing can be created without a creator? Then who created the creator?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
What belief system?
The belief system based on the belief that there is no God.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you produce anything from this "belief system"?
If it's only one belief, it's not a system.
So, what else is part of the system?
Did you just make it up?
What is that belief system called, and do yo know of anyone that follows it?
Besides that, we've told you before, again and again, basic atheism is the lack of belief in gods.
No valid definition of atheism invokes the name of any specific deity.
It's much more than one belief....

Atheists believe in a lot of things, they're just too afraid to admit it. Or maybe they're to egotistical.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If standing still is dancing, if baldness is a hair color, if not collecting stamps is a hobby...
Atheism is more like calling bald is a hair style.

It is.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>There is NO interpretation of your classless comments on post #142946. Under any decent social environment they would be considered rude, classless, and grotesque. Although it's probably acceptable amongst your hillbilly friends, here in the civilized part of the country you would be looked on with revulsion and pity.
What is a "decent social environment"? There's no one single definition for it. It's relative.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
But you know, and I know, that that is not what motivates most people to Christianity.
Youo "know" that? Are you ignoring all the recent, and many more older, cases of parents allowing their children to suffer because "prayer works?" How many people, who are not sadistic, can watch their own children suffer curable illnesses?

What of the people who killed others in the name of that same "god?" Many of them thought they were "Jesus reincarnated" or some such insanity. If the religion was not so sadistic, do you think they'd have used such and excuse to avoid detection while recruiting others to help them out?

Then the more damning of all events of the modern era, do you know how George Bush convinced a lot of people to attack Iraq? He claimed his god told him to, on national television. No one but atheists said anything about it, no one.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>There is NO argument to be had, there probably is no God. And thats the polite rendition, I like this one better. Due to the complete and utter lack of evidence there simply is no God. Or.........The evidence for God is the same as there is for werewolves.
Sure, but you don't see Dick Dawkins promoting an anti-werewolf ad, do you..........

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>A term of opprobrium.
In context, "eff-up".
Although the term actually refers to the male reproductive coupling gear.
Thanks, ole chap.

I'm not too good at English English.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>12Dec12.....
.....and jest how could such a lovely 'bovine' produce such an ugly Cow as you!!!!
Ps:....Yer jest an 'udder' piece of schidt-for-brains.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
You're my father, you tell me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
They wouldn't be a part of atheism, so theists could have them as well. Atheism is simply the category of people who do not have religious beliefs. Whatever else defines those people is separate from atheism.
Theism is a category, not a belief system. A theist has a belief in at least one god. An atheist has no beliefs in any gods. Theism and atheism cannot be belief systems. They lack the necessary definition to be called a system, and atheism lacks the belief part also.
<quoted text>
Rejecting a belief is not in itself a belief. I don't need to posit an alternative to religious claims. Atheism is the state of not adopting religious beliefs.
I think religion is harmful. That means I'm anti-theistic. I'm more free to be anti-theistic than theists are, but theists can also be anti-theistic. If you agree that religion is often harmful, you are also, to some degree, anti-theistic. These motivations or opinions do not come from having religious beliefs or not having them. They come from observation, reasoning, and empathy.
We can differentiate beliefs into categories. I haven't got any faith based beliefs at all. Faith based beliefs are very different from beliefs/opinions/conclusions derived in other manners. In a discussion about belief, where the religious and non religious are both involved, the difference must be constantly pointed out. It's really a failing in language that the word "belief" can be used to describe very different ideas.
Theism has belief systems but atheism doesn't?

How convenient.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So every creation MUST have a creator? Nothing can be created without a creator? Then who created the creator?
The super Devil did.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, but you don't see Dick Dawkins promoting an anti-werewolf ad, do you..........
How many werewolf believers are trying to make carrying silver illegal?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
A Christian is one who believes in and worships Jesus and his teachings.
Repeatedly you have said Catholics are not Christians therefore you are indeed saying Catholics do not believe in Jesus, no matter how much you beat and scream
So come on coward tell us what church you align yourself with, it's obviously a wacky anti Catholic Church one. Why are you so ashamed of your branch of Christianity? Sheesh what a coward.
<quoted text>
You're just not getting it.

I don't think I can help you.

Catholics are Christians like white people are Americans.

They have a different belief system, different bible, different way of practicing their religion, etc.

Catholics are a member of Christianity, but they are by no means Christian.

(which is why they're called "Catholics")

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 137,521 - 137,540 of223,270
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••