Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239439 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143196 Dec 12, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Men don't need to wear bras you reject. Well Fatasses like Buck may need to wear one but that's another story.
I wonder why so many believers on here are so ashamed of their religion? Remember Daffy he is the one claiming Catholics are not Christians are you agreeing with him now? Before you spoke against this.
<quoted text>
lol

Neither do women, but for some reason we still do.

If we can do it, so can you! hehehehe

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143197 Dec 12, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>A belief in werewolves is not dangerous, religion is. See the difference!!!!?????? People who believe in werewolves don't fly planes into buildings, blow themselves and other up, tell me I deserve to spend eternity in agony, attempt to tell my children religiously motivated lies, attempt to keep from my children scientific facts, and they don't make every effort to block medical advancements like stem cell research.


He's not going to see it because he doesn't want to.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#143198 Dec 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Robert Ballard has a distinguished career in oceanography and underwater archeology. He is a professor in Oceanography which is a science. Universities are known for doing scientific research. They get millions in grants for their work.
Dr. Ballard is not some religious nut but a serious internationally renown scientist. This is a man who knows oceans, marine life and hydrodynamics. That makes his opinion worthy of consideration.
Wiki:
Robert Duane Ballard (born June 30, 1942) is a former United States Navy officer and a professor of oceanography at the University of Rhode Island who is most noted for his work in underwater archaeology: maritime archaeology and archaeology of shipwrecks. He is most known for the discoveries of the wrecks of the RMS Titanic in 1985, the battleship Bismarck in 1989, and the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown in 1998. He discovered the wreck of John F. Kennedy's PT-109 in 2002 and visited Biuku Gasa and Eroni Kumana, who saved its crew. Ballard leads ocean exploration on E/V Nautilus.
http://www.biography.com/people/robert-ballar...
Deep-sea archaeologist and oceanographer Robert Ballard is a former commander in the United States navy and a professor of oceanography at the University of Rhode Island. He is best known for discovering the wreck of the RMS Titanic in 1985, drawing on his experience with scuba diving and using small, unmanned submersibles controlled from a surface ship to scan the ocean floor.
Wiki:
Oceanography (compound of the Greek words &#969;&#954;&#949; &#945;&#957;&#972; &#962; meaning "ocean" and &#947;&#961;&#940; &#966;&#969; meaning "to write"), also called oceanology or marine science, is the branch of Earth science that studies the ocean. It covers a wide range of topics, including marine organisms and ecosystem dynamics; ocean currents, waves, and geophysical fluid dynamics; plate tectonics and the geology of the sea floor; and fluxes of various chemical substances and physical properties within the ocean and across its boundaries. These diverse topics reflect multiple disciplines that oceanographers blend to further knowledge of the world ocean and understanding of processes within it: biology, chemistry, geology, meteorology, and physics as well as geography.
I don't care what his credentials are, arguments from authority mean nothing if the information is flawed. Any REAL scientists knows that a global flood is an impossibility, and to infer that glacial melt could possible be the cause of a global flood make his credibility highly questionable. The fact that a mere child with basic scientific information can see the insurmountable problems with this premiss, says a lot. His picture of a mile high "Ice cube" stretching from CT to the north pole, and then suddenly melting to cause this flood is laughable. Just how long do you suppose it wold take that much ice to melt? Time frame is all wrong unless you want to maintain that Noah lived 20 million years ago during the Pliocene era.

It's childish and no worthy of any consideration whatsoever. If Mr. Ballard actual supports this idea, then I don't care what his credentials are, he's an idiot of the highest order. I suspect someone got ahold of something he wrote and bent and twisted it into this absurd premiss. No scientist worth his salt thinks a global flood actually happened.

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

#143199 Dec 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they're afraid of admitting they have beliefs.
Exactly.
And the reason why they are scared to death to admit they have beliefs, is that they do not want to deal with the issue that their beliefs could be wrong.

Because that would mean mentally acknowledging, that Christians could be right about their beliefs. Which means an eternal roasting hell for them as atheists.

Christians can't be scared of their beliefs. Because there is nothing to lose. Nothingness and oblivion, is nothing to fear.

The ironic thing is, we know they are scared about the Christian belief system. But they will argue all day here that its a myth. Then when they lay down at night, they can't help the screaming in the back of their mind....GOD. Because they know the absurdity of their mental position and they can't use science to back it.

I found out atheists are not that hard to figure out.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#143200 Dec 12, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
He's not going to see it because he doesn't want to.
It's not that he doesn't "want" to, his religious brainwashing simply will not allow it.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#143201 Dec 12, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
LLLLOL, "bald is a hair style".
Is that his way of saying that non-belief is a belief system?
lol, you guys are tooo funny!
Understanding categorical hierarchies is very basic.

Right now, I'm more interested in exposing why some believers demonstrate an inability to understand categorical hierarchies, than explaining the structure of specific hierarchies.

It has a lot to do with cognitive dissonance. Many believers realize that they are gambling a lot on a faith based position, and would like for all people to gamble with them, to make themselves feel better about their gamble. Seeing atheists, a lot of whom are not gambling on faith, disturbs them, I suspect. They'd rather see us as gamblers too, to make themselves feel better, or to quiet the cognitive dissonance within themselves. They see us not needing faith, and perhaps only subconsciously realize that they could also do without faith. In order to justify their gamble, they need to paint us as gamblers, as religious, as faith based thinkers, even though most of us probably are not. This is a delusion of thought.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#143202 Dec 12, 2012
Oi, dodgy looking tranny, they're axioms.
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>You're lying. Prove that you love your mother.
Prove that 1 +1 = 2; 1X1=1; 1-1=0; 1/1=1. Give us the proof of why. Do not use a book, no internet, no mathematicians and humans, just simply prove it yourself.
Now, atheists will simply believe does math equations true, just like you all believed that the world was flat and now you believe that there are "black holes" when you have no proof that there are.
Prove that there universe is more than 10,000 years old and that your time continum of 14.5 billion years is not just a false measurement of time due to time, space and laws of physics not being relative.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#143203 Dec 12, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Men don't need to wear bras you reject. Well Fatasses like Buck may need to wear one but that's another story.
I wonder why so many believers on here are so ashamed of their religion? Remember Daffy he is the one claiming Catholics are not Christians are you agreeing with him now? Before you spoke against this.
<quoted text>
I guess it would be better in your opinion that all Christians wear their faith on their sleeves for all to see?

Not a bad idea according to the Nazis. They required all Jews wear the Star of David on the outside of their sleeves.

You want to know his particular faith so you can harass, demean, humiliate, and spew your hate. Just like the Naziís did, right?

HeĎs a person of faith, thatís all your dumb ass needs to know stink bait.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143204 Dec 12, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly.
And the reason why they are scared to death to admit they have beliefs, is that they do not want to deal with the issue that their beliefs could be wrong.
Because that would mean mentally acknowledging, that Christians could be right about their beliefs. Which means an eternal roasting hell for them as atheists.
Christians can't be scared of their beliefs. Because there is nothing to lose. Nothingness and oblivion, is nothing to fear.
The ironic thing is, we know they are scared about the Christian belief system. But they will argue all day here that its a myth. Then when they lay down at night, they can't help the screaming in the back of their mind....GOD. Because they know the absurdity of their mental position and they can't use science to back it.
I found out atheists are not that hard to figure out.
You sound like a very mean person.

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

#143205 Dec 12, 2012
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, they know that they have a religion, they just don't want us to know. It is like gays who claim that they do not have an agenda. Yet, they make claims about gay rights and alleged same sex marriage rights. They calim that homosexuality is not a disorder but yet without any evidence or science this is nothing more that part of their agenda to make homosexuality equal to necrophilia.
Thing is, its obvious to everyone, that they have a religion. They just feel secure deluding themselves that can prove they don't have a religion :)

With the gays, it does not matter how much they throw up gay rights and gay marriage..their lifestyle is still a sin. Sodomy is a sin.

And they may get the victory of gay marriage. But let me see them try and convince people that its not a sin.

Gays must face God. And it does not matter if they don't believe God exist. What they believe has no relevance on the existence of God. And they will have to give an account for their lifetime of practicing Sodomy.

Let God deal with them. That's why they will fight to the death mentally to make themselves believe "No God". Because if mentally they can delude themselves into thinking "No God", then they can satisfy their conscience that there will no consequence for their Sodomy.

Any Christian worth that title...knows exactly what is going on.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#143206 Dec 12, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care what his credentials are, arguments from authority mean nothing if the information is flawed. Any REAL scientists knows that a global flood is an impossibility, and to infer that glacial melt could possible be the cause of a global flood make his credibility highly questionable. The fact that a mere child with basic scientific information can see the insurmountable problems with this premiss, says a lot. His picture of a mile high "Ice cube" stretching from CT to the north pole, and then suddenly melting to cause this flood is laughable. Just how long do you suppose it wold take that much ice to melt? Time frame is all wrong unless you want to maintain that Noah lived 20 million years ago during the Pliocene era.
It's childish and no worthy of any consideration whatsoever. If Mr. Ballard actual supports this idea, then I don't care what his credentials are, he's an idiot of the highest order. I suspect someone got ahold of something he wrote and bent and twisted it into this absurd premiss. No scientist worth his salt thinks a global flood actually happened.
You are entitled to you opinion Doctor. Iím not trying to take that away. But we in the topix community need to understand youíre not a scientist nor have a degree in science. Your degree is in the arts.

His degree is in the sciences so his opinion is worthy of consideration when it comes to science. Your profession is in the arts so if you make a statement about music composition or musicality that needs to be seriously considered because of your experience and education, right? Well the same goes for him.

You donít see him on TBN or in religious circles. He is a internationally respected scientist. You are not that far from him Doctor. Go take a short ride and have coffee with him and talk about it. You know Doctors talking to Doctors, man to man.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143207 Dec 12, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Understanding categorical hierarchies is very basic.
Right now, I'm more interested in exposing why some believers demonstrate an inability to understand categorical hierarchies, than explaining the structure of specific hierarchies.
It has a lot to do with cognitive dissonance. Many believers realize that they are gambling a lot on a faith based position, and would like for all people to gamble with them, to make themselves feel better about their gamble. Seeing atheists, a lot of whom are not gambling on faith, disturbs them, I suspect. They'd rather see us as gamblers too, to make themselves feel better, or to quiet the cognitive dissonance within themselves. They see us not needing faith, and perhaps only subconsciously realize that they could also do without faith. In order to justify their gamble, they need to paint us as gamblers, as religious, as faith based thinkers, even though most of us probably are not. This is a delusion of thought.
I wish you best of luck!

Well, that just shows how insecure they are about their belief. it's like they feel challenged or threatened by different beliefs or non-beliefs.

What good is their faith doing? They are telling their fellow human-beings that they are going to roast in hell for not believing in their daddy, who's also meant to be your and my daddy. What's the bloody point of such a belief? There can't be one!!

The world has been like this and I think it's going to stay like this, all we can do is save ourselves from them!

Gambling is a sin, lol.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#143208 Dec 12, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>Thing is, its obvious to everyone, that they have a religion. They just feel secure deluding themselves that can prove they don't have a religion :)

With the gays, it does not matter how much they throw up gay rights and gay marriage..their lifestyle is still a sin. Sodomy is a sin.

And they may get the victory of gay marriage. But let me see them try and convince people that its not a sin.

Gays must face God. And it does not matter if they don't believe God exist. What they believe has no relevance on the existence of God. And they will have to give an account for their lifetime of practicing Sodomy.

Let God deal with them. That's why they will fight to the death mentally to make themselves believe "No God". Because if mentally they can delude themselves into thinking "No God", then they can satisfy their conscience that there will no consequence for their Sodomy.

Any Christian worth that title...knows exactly what is going on.
Bossdrip!

How the hell are ya?!

Still stupid, I see.

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

#143210 Dec 12, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Bossdrip!
How the hell are ya?!
Still stupid, I see.
you reply with ad hominems?

LOL.

You read my post, and the shoe fit huh? wear it.

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

#143211 Dec 12, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like a very mean person.
Actually I'm not :)
I don't think you're a mean person just because we disagree.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143212 Dec 12, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Bossdrip!
How the hell are ya?!
Still stupid, I see.
He's trapped in the hell of spiritual ignorance. I feel sorry for him!

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

#143213 Dec 12, 2012
dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
boss
I think you are right in the gays case
only gays bear same sin like alcoholics,adulters thiefs etc....Gal 5;17-21
wages for sin is death romans 6;23
gayse are not worse from them,and are not better to treat them as something special,
they live worse from animals,and they die reaping own dung AIDS,HIV, and all kind of f....diseases
hell with them and all sinners on this earth
pfuj
God bless you boss
How ya been Shrink!!!

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#143214 Dec 12, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
So again you are asserting Catholics are not Christians so you think Catholics do not believe in Jesus. If Catholics believe in Jesus and his biblical teachings they are Christians.
So what branch of Christianity do you align yourself with again? Stop being a chickensht coward and answer the question.
Amazing how cowardly you lot are when simply asked what religion to adhere to.
I am thinking Pentecostal holy screamer.
<quoted text>
You would be correct, and also, he thinks(or thought) that he is not Protestant. I went back and forth with him once before.

The "Catholics aren't Christian" issue came up too.

Ar Ar doesn't comprehend things too well and he often comes across as deceptive or tries to mislead, at the very least.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#143215 Dec 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

If an wooden airplane as big as a ship can fly, then the Ark could be built and float.
An wooden airplane?

Would you then say, "a ark?"

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#143216 Dec 12, 2012
dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
boss
I think you are right in the gays case
only gays bear same sin like alcoholics,adulters thiefs etc....Gal 5;17-21
wages for sin is death romans 6;23
gayse are not worse from them,and are not better to treat them as something special,
they live worse from animals,and they die reaping own dung AIDS,HIV, and all kind of f....diseases
hell with them and all sinners on this earth
pfuj
God bless you boss
And what you're God? You think you've never sinned and you're perfect? Why do you think that God won't send you to hell?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 26 min MikeF 19,075
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Eagle 12 7,482
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 hr Thinking 2,218
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 7 hr Insults Are Easier 125
News Richard Dawkins insists he's not an angry athei... 10 hr Thinking 2
John 3:16 10 hr Thinking 2
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 10 hr Exodus771 7,502
More from around the web