Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#142847 Dec 10, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>What about this:

The Christian belief system attracts irresponsible people and justifies the shirking of personal responsibility.
I can grok that.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#142848 Dec 10, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Consider the god mentioned in the book, consider the "suffer for all eternity" punishment for not believing, consider the genocides that are easily justified by the doctrine, consider the indoctrination. You'd have to be sadistic, tyrannical, or completely insane to believe that's a good doctrine to follow, much less to consider that a "loving" deity.

Most may not be that bad, but it attracts sadists, it also hides sadistic behaviors very well. When you worship something sadistic, you have to approve or like sadism.
But you know, and I know, that that is not what motivates most people to Christianity.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#142849 Dec 10, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Joking?
Have you seen it?

It reminded me a little of Planet of the Apes and a lot of surprise diarrhea.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#142850 Dec 10, 2012
We've got cleaners for that reason. But I still couldn't get a large percentage of the world's fauna on board.

And wtf happened to the Giant Redwoods in the great flood?
Eagle12 wrote:
Let me rewrite that before the East German Grammar police show up at my front door.
A house can look pretty damn small until you start cleaning it.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#142851 Dec 10, 2012
I also qualified that one in my response.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Even I don't believe that.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#142852 Dec 10, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I can grok that.
'Stranger in a Strange Land', what a book!
Thinking

Andover, UK

#142853 Dec 10, 2012
Thou art god, but who isn't?
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#142854 Dec 10, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody cares what a dead man thought about a dead woman.
You Insult the Collin Family , I will drink your Blud!

Location hidden

#142855 Dec 10, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
Put two t-rex's skeleton's into it along with two whale skeletons into it. Then try and cram the rest of the all the species on the planet into your "life size ark"

If must have been a wooden entrance to a in mountain cave system that had a exit where they took everything.

And they lied about all the rest.

Location hidden

#142856 Dec 10, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
She believed that suffering was beautiful and Christlike.
She was a good person who was brutally and tragically warped by her beliefs and religion.
Or was like pinhead "into your pain".

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#142858 Dec 10, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
But you know, and I know, that that is not what motivates most people to Christianity.
I know. I know. Wafers and grape juice?

Location hidden

#142859 Dec 10, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#142860 Dec 10, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. I know. Wafers and grape juice?
Grape juice....

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#142861 Dec 10, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>I know. I know. Wafers and grape juice?
I never got grape juice.

And the wafers suck.

Hmmm.

Maybe it IS the violence and sadism.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#142864 Dec 10, 2012
Good thinking :)

I have heard the battlefield earth novel is better than the movie. I caught the movie on Netflix for laughs, check out the nostalgia critic's review on it.

:)

P.S. scientologists are batsht insane and even many of Hubbard's own friends say when it came to Scientology Hubbard was a wicked man because he didn't even believe in it but just wanted to take advantage of the weak minded.
Thinking wrote:
Nobody cares what a braindead poster thinks of a dead writer.
<quoted text>
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#142865 Dec 10, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Life-sized Noah's Ark launches
A full-scale replica of Noah's Ark has opened its doors to the public in the Netherlands.(Dec. 10)
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/life-sized-noah-...
Why would any go to the trouble of making a replica of a mythical vessel? We know that no such vessel could have possible been seaworthy, we know that science has shown that no such event could have possibly taken place, so why would anyone waste time and money on what amount to a children's story? Why don't they make an exact replica of Santa's workshop replete with elves and flying reindeer?

How about using that money to help the poor and sick in India. The one's that Mother the demon Theresa failed to help. She thought suffering brought people closer to God. In the end she realized how evil she was and denounced her faith.

Chicago, IL

#142866 Dec 10, 2012
Hitchens won awards for his charity work. Shelves of awards. How many have you received?

I guess as usual you just pull stuff out if your Christhole.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I respect what you are saying. I donít know if there were any improprieties. I just find it hard to believe what a slob would say,(Hitchens). Who never in his entire life did anything for anyone other than himself.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#142867 Dec 10, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Why would any go to the trouble of making a replica of a mythical vessel? We know that no such vessel could have possible been seaworthy, we know that science has shown that no such event could have possibly taken place, so why would anyone waste time and money on what amount to a children's story? Why don't they make an exact replica of Santa's workshop replete with elves and flying reindeer?
How about using that money to help the poor and sick in India. The one's that Mother the demon Theresa failed to help. She thought suffering brought people closer to God. In the end she realized how evil she was and denounced her faith.
Thank you for responding to me doctor.[tips hat] Scientists make mistakes with science. We can't be sure our science is more accurate than the bible.

Next time I'll tell you about the Emperor who had no clothes. It shows atheist don't understand.

Bless you.

Chicago, IL

#142868 Dec 10, 2012
As usual you rabidly defend believers while attacking non believers. Well it's just nice that you stopped pretending to be an agnostic. That was humiliating for you.
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Hitchens was too busy trying to get his sausage smoked to care about anybody else.

Location hidden

#142869 Dec 10, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure she contributed to the plight of the poor and sick in India. I don't think she made them sicker or poorer. Perhaps she helped them in her time or perhaps she didn't. I don't think she made them any worse off.

She was just a woman.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr serfs up 2,617
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 2 hr thetruth 10
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 2 hr thetruth 21
Evidence for God! 2 hr thetruth 371
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr thetruth 1,456
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr thetruth 23,261
$13.5m for jehovahís witness sex victim 16 hr P_Smith 2
More from around the web