Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#142779 Dec 10, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>11Dec12.....
.....and you won't find a 'blue-Eyed' Arab.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
***Meet Wilma, the first reconstruction of a Neanderthal created using evidence from fossil anatomy and ancient DNA.

Neanderthals were a species of human that became extinct 28,000 years ago. The lifesize model was created to illustrate “The Last of the Neanderthals,” the cover article in the October 2008 issue of National Geographic magazine.

The article, written by Steve Hall and photographed by David Liittschwager and Joe McNally, explores what caused Neanderthals, who dominated Eurasia for more than 200,000 years, to vanish in the Ice Age, while our modern human ancestors survived.

Wilma’s skeleton was built using replicas of a pelvis and cranial anatomy from Neanderthal females combined with parts from a cast of a composite skeleton of a male from the American Museum of Natural History in New York. Calculations were made to reduce the male bone sizes to female dimensions.

Paleo-artists and scientific consultants, overseen by National Geographic magazine’s senior science editor Jamie Shreeve, used evidence of ancient DNA preserved in cannibalized bones that suggested that at least some Neanderthals would have had red hair, pale skin and possibly freckles.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2008/... ***

I'm more likely related to Wilma seeing as I have red hair, freckles and blue eyes....

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#142780 Dec 10, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it, change the subject when you get smacked the f*ck down for lying.
How is it me that changed the subject when my comment is in direct reply to someone else, retard?
Thinking

Andover, UK

#142781 Dec 10, 2012
Count me in, I'm no kiss arse to a tyrant.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Worth reposting, IMHO:
Produce definitive evidence for a deity, and I will of course believe in it.
If it's the Abrahamic one, I'm immediately joining the Resistance.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#142782 Dec 10, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>Firefly? Hmmmmm. I'll have to check that one out.
Well, it's this show about...

Wait.

What?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#142783 Dec 10, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>That's either great news or very cruel.

I hope it happens.
Unfortunately, I didn't get into it until after it was cancelled.

I think I've seen them all in syndication now.

Great show, and I don't watch a lot of tv.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#142784 Dec 10, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Huh?
Different color roses have different chemistry that absorbs and reflects different wavelengths of light.

That's what color is.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#142785 Dec 10, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Also check out Battlefield Earth.
It's stellar.
Tour de Force.
Try Misfits. I love it. You'll find all 3 seasons on Hulu.
dr of humanology

Des Plaines, IL

#142786 Dec 10, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
***Meet Wilma, the first reconstruction of a Neanderthal created using evidence from fossil anatomy and ancient DNA.
Neanderthals were a species of human that became extinct 28,000 years ago. The lifesize model was created to illustrate “The Last of the Neanderthals,” the cover article in the October 2008 issue of National Geographic magazine.
The article, written by Steve Hall and photographed by David Liittschwager and Joe McNally, explores what caused Neanderthals, who dominated Eurasia for more than 200,000 years, to vanish in the Ice Age, while our modern human ancestors survived.
Wilma’s skeleton was built using replicas of a pelvis and cranial anatomy from Neanderthal females combined with parts from a cast of a composite skeleton of a male from the American Museum of Natural History in New York. Calculations were made to reduce the male bone sizes to female dimensions.
Paleo-artists and scientific consultants, overseen by National Geographic magazine’s senior science editor Jamie Shreeve, used evidence of ancient DNA preserved in cannibalized bones that suggested that at least some Neanderthals would have had red hair, pale skin and possibly freckles.
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2008/... ***
I'm more likely related to Wilma seeing as I have red hair, freckles and blue eyes....
Well,We were created by aliens on the tenth planet to mine gold in africa.Ya see their plante needed gold for thier planet to survive.So they came down and tweeked the cave man dna and bingo bango, Modern man was born.Why else would the ancient sumerians have a map of our solar system back then that is right on without a telescope?we cant even focus our telescopes on the tenth planet as of yet.We have a faint image of it.soon we will know for sure its there and everything will fall in place.FYI

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#142787 Dec 10, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>Juan was traveling down a Los Angeles road near the community legal center when he saw a crowd of people gathering outside a lawyers office trailer.

It was a cold afternoon, so he stopped and asked fellow Muchacho why such a large crowd of men was gathered there.

The Muchacho replied,“Pablo’s donkey kicked his lawyer and he died.”

“Well,” replied the Juan,“he must have had a lot of friends.”

“Nope,” said the Muchacho.“We all just want to buy Pedro’s donkey.”
Wow.

Hilarious.

You're just too funny for words.

Ha ha.

Ho ho.

I just can't contain myself.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#142788 Dec 10, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Different color roses have different chemistry that absorbs and reflects different wavelengths of light.
That's what color is.
A nice, introductory video (top left):

http://www.nbclearn.com/portal/site/learn/che...

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#142789 Dec 10, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude.
You're not trying very hard.
You should have written, "...a lawyer's office trailer," not a lawyers office trailer.
There is a difference between the possessive and the plural.
Geeez.
See, Tim? What did I tell you?
The poor shlub is hopeless.
A lawyer was riding his donkey to court. A man yells,“nice ass.” The lawyer tips his sombrero and says,“gracias.” An observer asked the man,“who were you referring too?”“The dumb ass of course,” the man replied followed by a smile.

The moral of the story? When riding a dumb ass, always be sure there is a noticeable distinction between ass and man.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#142792 Dec 10, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Mother Teresa's tale is a very instructive

IAN, I heard quite a long time ago that her confessor had release the information about her spending years (almost 40 it seems) doubting Jesus and questioning her own faith, which the Vatican was going to use as a reason to show just how much more of a Saint she really was, because she did all the things she is alleged to have done unselfishly, in spite of her problems.

I don't know the truth of her situation, because of course, in things to do with authority, governments, religion, big business, media, etc., we hear only what those who are making the decisions in these organizations want us to hear.

We know with the huge RC scandal worldwide regarding the pedophilia in the priesthood, which touched people I knew, or at least the priests of people I knew, who were caught, moved to cover up, and subsequently caught again, and exposed, that there is much deception going on.

To a certain extent I do understand that people HAVE to create what is newsworthy because it is their job to keep the organization from scandal and to keep people from turning away from it. But essentially it is always fraud.

I doubt there is a PM, a President, a CEO, or any other leader who hasn't doctored what he reports to suit whatever are the guidelines of his job and/or his personal selfish desires.

In my job in a big bank - two actually, we had definite instructions that when any issue came up where the public was questioning some practice of the banks, we were not to give interviews to the press, but were to report to Head Office who had the people who dealt with that sort of thing.

The implication, of course, was they didn't want some disgruntled employee screwing his own employer publicly, nor did they want someone without the knowledge and expertise to give out information that may not be Bank policy.

I can see both the right and the wrong about that.

In an organization such as a religious denomination which claims it gets its orders from God, to be trustworthy, it has to be above all that political crap, and clearly the RC, and many other denominations, are very much not above that.

If I was still a Christian, and perish the thought, also a RC, I would very much work to make sure that neither Mother Teresa, nor Pope Paul II are ever made Saints. Granted these people both had a certain charisma, and endured many difficulties (taking a bullet in the guts isn't the nicest thing, I am sure), but they also got a lot of undeserved celebrity, just because of who they were, and because, like the Beatles, or any other famous celebrity everyone wants to be able to say they saw them, or they followed them, or whatever.

Personally I think that Pope Paul set his denomination, and the parts of the world where RC is very popular, back centuries with his backward polices, or at least the backward policies of the organization of which he was the top figurehead. I realize that no man works entirely alone, as they all have assistants, advisers, secretaries, speech writers, publicists, and agents, who help them and advise them in what to do.

Perhaps both Pope Paul II and Mother Teresa should go down in history as rather pathetic pawns of their religion, but they should never be taught to the young as being saints or saintlike. All of that, regardless of which saint, is a crock.

It is hypocritical anyway because neither this nor any other denomination can show evidence of the existence of a god, nor of any dead people being somewhere who people can pray to and idolize.

It is all a gross fraud against humanity, and until someone comes up with definite proof either of a god (ant that god just happens to be the God of the Bible. Wouldn't that be a coincidence?), we should look very critically at anything that these religions do that affect other people's lives.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#142795 Dec 10, 2012
You're a rough looking tranny.
Laconic Assassins wrote:
<quoted text>So, is your deception. Funny, you are quick to pull the trigger on the Catholics, but quick to hide the truth.
Let us deal with the pedophilia scandal of the RCC.
Homosexual pedophiles = equal 95% of the abuse cases, while 25% of priests were gay.
Heterosexual pedophiles = equal 5% of the abuse cases, while 75% of the priests were heterosexual.
Now, let's look back at the speeches and writings of NAMBLA. "We have an advantage, we can be everywhere and anywhere and not be seen. We shall become teachers, PRIESTS, politicians, psychiatrists and we shall recruit the world. We gays breed through pedophilia."
So, starting arounf 1970 the gay priests set up youth centers in San Francisco and recruited runaway boys from train stations, bus stops and off trhe streets.
They say that there were over 100,000 child abuse cases, which means that:
95,000 cases were homosexual abusers.
5,000 cases were heterosexual abusers.
Now, 5,000 cases is 5,000 too many, but a far cry less than the 95,000 homosexual cases.
It was not the RCC covering these cases up, it was the LGBT, IGLA, our government and the APA, out of fear that there would be a witch hunt for ALL gays.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#142796 Dec 10, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Well..... aren't the red roses different from the yellow ones, after all, they are both under the same amount of light in the same garden?(for example)
Yes and no. The genetic traits that determine color are a result of natural pressures, certain colors attract pollinators better. However color is just reflection/absorption of different wavelengths, which the eye translates into colors. When you see blue, it's because the surface absorbs all the other wavelengths, when you see black that means all the wavelengths are absorbed, or none are being produced, as is the case of your computer monitor.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#142797 Dec 10, 2012
boooots wrote:
Perhaps both Pope Paul II and Mother Teresa should go down in history as rather pathetic pawns of their religion, but they should never be taught to the young as being saints or saintlike. All of that, regardless of which saint, is a crock.
Thanks for that. I agree. Neither seemed like bad people. They just worked for a corrupt outfit.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#142798 Dec 10, 2012
Hitchens didn't think much of Theresa's abuse of the ill, though.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for that. I agree. Neither seemed like bad people. They just worked for a corrupt outfit.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#142799 Dec 10, 2012
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Theresa was a witch, and evil monster that should never have been allowed near a patient, let alone children. Sadism is very much a tenet of christianity.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#142800 Dec 10, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Also check out Battlefield Earth.
It's stellar.
Tour de Force.
Hubbard sucked as a writer.

Admit it, the gargantuan cod-pieces were what fascinated you most.

xD

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#142801 Dec 10, 2012
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody cares what a dead man thought about a dead woman.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#142802 Dec 10, 2012
Agreed on Theresa. Hitchens wrote that terminally ill patients were kept in squalor, pain relief was restricted to paracetamol. And where did all the money go? Not on the poor, that's for sure...
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Theresa was a witch, and evil monster that should never have been allowed near a patient, let alone children. Sadism is very much a tenet of christianity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 23 min Carchar king 1,104
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr fadu singh 23,043
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 9 hr Hooogle It 77
Evidence for God! 13 hr Uncle Sam 43
Heaven 13 hr susanblange 42
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 22 hr Ooogah Boogah 14,391
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Wed Dally Mama 5,583

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE